Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

John Arne Riise - Player Thread

Read 35680 times
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Re: John Arne Riise - Player Thread
      Reply #276: Jun 18, 2008 08:16:24 pm
      Bye Bye Riise!

It's official, he's gone!

Thanks for all the crackers you scored for us, and thanks for eliminating us out of the Champions League semi final. Enjoy Italy and the nice women there, enjoy the weather, enjoy your football! :)

The price? €5m which makes it over £3m
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #277: Jun 18, 2008 08:22:53 pm
      Good Luck Riise, Y.N.W.A
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #278: Jun 18, 2008 08:25:52 pm
      Great 8 years from him and some great goals .
      And we nearly got back what we paid for him ....

Good luck mate.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #279: Jun 18, 2008 08:42:47 pm
      Is the 3.9 mill confirmed as the price yet

According to Roma its 5 Million Euros which equates to £3.9 Million yes I thought we would have got a bit more for him to be honest I thought he was worth at least 50 Million Lira  :f_tongueincheek:

Anyhow thanks for a great 8 years JAR hope you go on to great success at Roma, and please dont feel under too much pressure now, as their fans will simply stab you if you F**k things up. You scored some cracking goals for us mate thanks again and good luck
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,708 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #280: Jun 18, 2008 08:48:38 pm
      good luck YNWA. hope you use your right feet much better at roma
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #281: Jun 18, 2008 08:57:31 pm
      great servant of the club.  will be missed but remembered

YNWA
       ;) ;)
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #282: Jun 18, 2008 09:05:47 pm
      All the best JAR - keep your head up and keep looking forward, no hard feelings.

YNWA
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #283: Jun 18, 2008 09:32:49 pm
      good luck, Riise.

this guy has been one of my favourites players for years and i never thought it would be so difficult to say goodbye. I knew he was going but it hurts now it's confirmed. and I guess it will be even hearder when I see him in a Roma shirt.

YNWA JAR

bring on Dossena now...
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #284: Jun 18, 2008 09:42:22 pm
      sad to see him leave but i think it was time.

thanks for everything john and all the best at roma
      jakkeo
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts |
      Reply #285: Jun 18, 2008 10:00:05 pm
      £2.2 million according to F365.

all the best ginge

and thanks for this :D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhdSdGfbBow
      « Last Edit: Jun 18, 2008 10:02:47 pm by jakkeo »
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #286: Jun 18, 2008 10:02:07 pm
      Good Luck John, thanks for the memories  ;)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6732 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #287: Jun 18, 2008 10:12:49 pm
      sad to see him leave but I think it was time.

thanks for everything john and all the best at roma

I agree mate..it is sad to see him leave...a loyal servant to the club but I just felt his time at Anfield was up.

I for one admit I was so pissed at him for that OG against Chel$ki but it's over and done with now...got to move on. I just think that he never had much defending ability. It was always nice to see him get forward and his left foot was as sweet as they come.

This past season however he seemed to be trying too hard knowing he had to impress every chance he had. I got pretty annoyed that every time he went forward over the half way line, he just seemed to have a pop. One of them, we were all hoping was going to go in but it never did and usually ended up in Row Z.

I think new pastures will do him the world of good. Good Luck to you JAR, thanks for the memories and I hope all goes well for you in Italy.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #288: Jun 18, 2008 10:41:57 pm
      ALL THE BEST JOHN ARNE RIISE on your new adventure in italy

I got this from a very influential  italian football website on transfers
      Its in italian But  roughly in a few words it says  5million euro for LIVERPOOL FC ( which will be paid in 4 equal rates (1st july2008>30 september 2008>31 july 2009>and 31st january 2010) than there is some extra  payment to liverpool  based on CL participation and more extra payments for every 25 games games john takes part............Risse himself will earn 2.8 mill euro for every year  in the 4 year contract duration

Per l'acquisizione di tale diritto, l'A.S. Roma riconoscerà al Liverpool Football Club un corrispettivo di € 5 milioni, da pagarsi in quattro rate di pari ammontare, di cui la prima entro il 1° luglio 2008, la seconda entro il 30 settembre 2008, la terza entro il 31 luglio 2009 e la quarta entro il 31 gennaio 2010; inoltre, l'A.S. Roma riconoscerà al Liverpool Football Club le seguenti ulteriori somme: (I) € 0,1 milioni, per ciascuna delle due stagione sportive a decorrere dalla 2009/2010, in cui la prima squadra partecipi all'Uefa Champions League; (ii) € 0,75 milioni, ogni 25 presenze effettuate dal Calciatore in gare ufficiali, fino ad un massimo di € 0,3 milioni.
      Con il Calciatore è stato sottoscritto un contratto economico per le prestazioni sportive di durata quadriennale, che prevede il riconoscimento di un compenso lordo di € 2,8 milioni, per ciascuna stagione sportiva di durata del contratto, oltre ad alcuni premi individuali al raggiungimento di prefissati obiettivi sportivi".

http://www.calciomercato.it/dettaglioNewsCategoria.asp?hdnIdCategoria=2&hdnId=18313&hdnCommenti=1
      chrislfc22
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 372 posts | -6 
      Reply #289: Jun 18, 2008 10:57:20 pm
      Was a Great player for us, will be missed but im sure he will be a good player in Italy good luck Riise!!
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,122 posts | 450 
      Reply #290: Jun 18, 2008 11:11:19 pm
      Good luck Riise, you have left some wonderful memories for all of us.  The timing was right as a very long relation with some very memorable moments needed not to be tainted with the label of liability.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #291: Jun 19, 2008 12:17:49 am
      I think he is a player who time simply ran out and he needs a new place and new challenge and I wish him the best because for that one own goal vs Chelsea there are a lot of sweet long range goals.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #292: Jun 19, 2008 12:26:03 am
      Even though he scored that own goal against chelsea he still scored in the carling cup against them after like 46 seconds or something, the fa cup semi final free kick  and the community shield were he ran from his own box and rifled one in.

Hope he rifles in some belters in Serie A
      RedAndWhiteKop
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 65 posts | -2 
      John Arne Riise leaving
      Reply #293: Jun 19, 2008 12:39:44 am
      Not the biggest of transfer saga's i have to admit, but looking back at some of the goals that he has given us (which at points would rival Roberto Carlos's left foot) i cant help but feel like a lost a bit of myself with his transfer to Roma being imminent...
      anyone else feels that they are going to miss John Arne more than his last seasons performance suggests we should

I alredy miss him :-[
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #294: Jun 19, 2008 07:43:52 am
      Good luck John, I hope we meet Roma in the CL in the coming seasons, you can then slot one in the back of their net and thereby make some retribution for the monumental F**k up you made in our CL campain this season!  Great player, some great goals, (charity shield especially)!
      But son you've left a bad taste in my mouth!!
      Reluctantly YNWA
      MsGerrard
      Reply #295: Jun 19, 2008 09:25:15 am
      Confirmed on Radio City this morning that he's gone for 4 million.

Good Luck in Italy John, all the best mate and thanks for the memories.

You will be welcome back at Anfield any time and I'm sure you'll receive a rousing reception when you do.
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #296: Jun 19, 2008 10:12:39 am
      Pretty sad he has gone. He did score some crackers for us.

Good luck to John, i wish him all the best of luck in his new club. It was definetely time for him to move on though.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,708 posts | 3716 
      Reply #297: Jun 19, 2008 12:10:18 pm
      THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES, JOHN
      Paul Hassall 19 June 2008

John Arne Riise's final season with Liverpool may well be remembered for THAT own goal against Chelsea but it was a rare blemish on an Anfield career that was otherwise blessed by a series of sensational highs.
      As he bids farewell to Merseyside following a seven year spell with the Reds Liverpoolfc.tv takes a look back at 10 of his finest moments with the club.

Riise scores the third in the 3-0 win over Spurs on his return from injury

1. 'Super' first goal for Liverpool

Three matches into his Reds career and the former Monaco full-back went some way to showing the goal threat he would pose when he marked his return to the Stade Louis II Stadium with an effort against European Champions Bayern Munich. The Norwegian opened the scoring on 22 minutes when he applied a fine finish to Michael Owen's right-wing cross to set Liverpool on their way to a 3-2 win and ensure Gerard Houllier's men not only claimed the Super Cup for the second time in our history but also gave us our fifth trophy of the calendar year.

2. Derby delight

An indifferent start to the Premiership campaign saw the Reds travel to Goodison Park determined to put an end to a run that had seen them lose two consecutive league matches. It was hardly the kind of fixture you would want for restoring flagging confidence and when Kevin Campbell gave the home side the lead after just five minutes it looked like Liverpool were on the verge of yet more away day misery - much to the amusement of the Everton fans. However, the Blues reckoned without the inspiration of Steven Gerrard, who drew the Reds level on 11 minutes with a sensational effort before Michael Owen converted a spot-kick on the half hour mark to give Houllier's men a half-time lead. As Everton pushed forward in search of a second-half equaliser they left gaps at the back and on 52 minutes Riise etched his name into Merseyside derby folklore when he ran half the length of the pitch before turning Steve Watson and steering a third, match-clinching goal, past Paul Gerrard.

3. "Jooohn Arnnne Riiiise! I wanna knoooooow, how you scored that goal!"

If scoring a superb individual goal to see off neighbours Everton wasn't enough to earn Riise a place in the hearts of all Kopites, then his strike in a 3-1 mauling of Manchester United certainly was.
      The Reds had already beaten their old foes in their previous three encounters and after Michael Owen had taken advantage of a defensive lapse from Wes Brown to give Liverpool a deserved lead, Riise was presented with an opportunity to double the advantage. The hosts were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the box on 39 minutes allowing JAR to line up what would become known as one of his trademark rockets. As Didi Hamann touched the ball into his path the Norwegian surged forward to unleash an unstoppable 25-yard drive that seared into the top left hand corner via the crossbar to leave Fabien Barthez with no chance and Manchester United where they belong, on their knees.

4. Free-kick finesse

Liverpool put one foot in the quarter-finals of the Champions League courtesy of a resounding 3-1 win over Bayer Leverkusen at Anfield.
      Goals from Luis Garcia, John Arne Riise and Didi Hamann did the damage in a first knockout round win that was all the more impressive given that Rafael Benitez's side were without the suspended Steven Gerrard. With the Reds leading courtesy of Garcia's clinical 15th minute finish they were presented with a chance to double their lead 10 minutes before the interval when they won a free-kick to the right-hand side of the Anfield Road end goal. As JAR stood over the ball, fans conjured up images of that wonderful strike against Manchester United and urged him to go on and repeat it. He did not disappoint. With unerring accuracy he curled a delightful 25-yard effort inside the near post of Hans Jorg Butt's goal to send Anfield into raptures and set Liverpool on their way to a win that would avenge the quarter-final defeat of 2002.

5. Carling Cup cracker

Liverpool travelled to Anfield South as many people's underdogs as Rafael Benitez and his side looked to secure their first victory over Jose Mourinho's Premiership leaders. The Reds had outplayed the Londoners in an unfortunate 1-0 defeat at Anfield on New Year's Day but few outside Merseyside expected them to emerge as League Cup winners for the eighth time in their history in Cardiff. They were right too, as we slumped to a frustrating 3-2 extra-time defeat, but not before JAR sent the travelling Kop into ecstasy with a sensational first minute opener. Fernando Morientes found space down the right flank before sending a searching ball to the far post where Riise, who had been given a left midfield berth for the contest, arrived to smash home a sensational volley from just inside the penalty area. It was the perfect start and although the Reds would go on to lose the match it was a goal that would have been worthy of winning any final.

6. The cross that inspired the comeback of all comebacks

Hamann and RiiseWhen it comes to Istanbul everyone has a story tell. Fans delight in recalling their efforts in reaching the promised land while the players who donned the famous red shirt that day all played their role... John Arne Riise was no different. Having been deployed on the left hand side of midfield during a disastrous first 45 minutes, JAR was moved into a left wing back role for the start of the second-half as Rafael Benitez shuffled his pack with a switch to a 3-5-2 formation. It was a move that paid almost immediate dividends and one that saw Riise provide the cross for Steven Gerrard to head the Reds back into it on 54 minutes. The Norwegian collected a pass from Xabi Alonso deep in Milan territory and after seeing his first cross blocked by a Milan defender, he showed great composure to steady himself before flighting over a ball for the skipper to give his nod of approval to. We all know what happened after that and although the Norwegian would go on to miss a penalty in the shoot-out he had still played an important role in our fifth European Cup triumph.

Riise

7. Riise rocket gives Jose the Blues

We've been here before haven't we? A semi-final of a prestigious cup competition and Jose Mourinho's Chelsea were again the side that stood between Liverpool and a major final. Twelve months earlier Luis Garcia had booked our place in the 2005 Champions League final to break Chelsea hearts and now he was it again, as the Reds ran out 2-1 winners at Old Trafford. The little Spaniard struck an audacious volley that proved to be the winning goal on 53 minutes but it was Riise's exquisite first-half free-kick that set the Reds on the road to victory. The full-back had already scored two famous free-kicks during his Anfield career and he made it a hat-trick of set-piece specials when he curled a low 20-yard effort inside the left-hand corner of the net to ensure Liverpool's semi-final hoodoo over Chelsea would continue.

Riise during the FA Cup win over Chelsea

8. Exorcising the demons of Istanbul

It's fair to say that Liverpool have given their fans their money's worth since the turn of the new Millennium. In Cup finals alone they have produced performances that have taken our breath away. Michael Owen's last-gasp winner in 2001, the nine goal Golden goal thriller in Dortmund, Istanbul, and of course, who could forget the Steven Gerrard final of 2006. In a clash with Alan Pardew's Hammers that bore an eerie resemblance to the events that transpired in the Ataturk just 12 months earlier, the Reds fought back from the dead to secure a 3-3 draw and take the match to a penalty shoot-out. For one player it was a chance to exorcise his demons. In Istanbul, Riise had opted for placement in the shoot-out, allowing Dida to make a fine save down to his right. It was miss that he admitted had haunted him ever since, and so the chance to put it right against West Ham was one he was not about to let slip away. This time he stepped up and made no mistake, hammering the ball down the middle to give the Reds a crucial 3-1 lead with Hammers keeper Shaka Hislop diving to his left. As JAR wielded away in celebration he could not hide his emotion, pumping his fists with delight before rubbing his face in relief.

9. JAR shows Chelsea no charity

Liverpool kicked off the 2006/07 season hoping to add the Premier League title to the Champions League and FA Cup already won under Rafael Benitez. First up they faced reigning champions Chelsea at the Millennium Stadium and after a stern test of their credentials they emerged triumphant courtesy of goals from Riise and Peter Crouch.
      JAR had made something of a habit of scoring against the Blues and he continued his rich vein of form against them when he drilled home a 25-yard blockbuster to open the scoring on nine minutes. The Reds' number six led the breakaway following a Chelsea corner and as space opened up in front of him he continued to surge forward before unleashing a fierce drive that flew into the back of the net to surprise keeper Carlo Cudicini.

Riise scores during the 2006 FA Charity Shield versus Chelsea

10. Barcelona Belter
      In 1976 it was John Toshack who broke Catalan hearts with a goal that set the Reds on the road to the UEFA Cup final. Fast forward 31 years and it was another John making the headlines in the Nou Camp in yet another famous European night in Liverpool's history. It was Jar's penultimate goal in a red shirt and when you consider the context of the strike it was probably his most famous. The Reds had travelled to Catalonia as many people's underdogs for a Champions League first knockout round clash that pitted the 2005 Champions League winners against the 2006 winners. Ronaldinho and co were tipped to go on and retain their crown and it all appeared to be going to plan when they took the lead on 14 minutes courtesy of Deco's fine header. It set the tone for the majority of the first period in which the visitors endured a sustained period of Barcelona pressure before breaking clear to stun the hosts with an equaliser on 43 minutes. Craig Bellamy was the hero turned villain, arriving late at the far post to head Steve Finnan's cross into the net via a blunder from keeper Victor Valdes. It was a huge boost for Rafael Benitez and his side and after the break they played with a renewed vigour that saw them go on and claim a famous 2-1 victory. Steven Gerrard's clipped ball from the right found Dirk Kuyt in the penalty area and although the Dutchman was thwarted by Valdes, Bellamy showed great composure to lay the ball to Riise, who crashed the ball into the roof of the net from 10 yards to claim not only a massive victory but also score his first ever goal for the Reds with his right foot.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,708 posts | 3716 
      Reply #298: Jun 19, 2008 12:10:46 pm
      RIISE COMPLETES MOVE TO AS ROMA
      Steve Hunter 19 June 2008
         Liverpool have confirmed that John Arne Riise has completed his transfer to Italian Serie A side AS Roma.
      The Norwegian international has put pen to paper on a four year deal with the Italian outfit - effective from July 1, 2008 - and his departure ends a seven year association with the Reds.

Riise, who came in at number 43 in our highly acclaimed series '100 Players Who Shook the Kop' series, made 347 appearances in a red shirt and scored 31 goals.

"John has been a tremendous servant to Liverpool over many years," said chief executive Rick Parry.

"Everybody at Anfield would now like to wish him all the best in his new career in Italy."

Quick Reply