Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Robbie Keane (Spurs)

Read 45409 times
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Re: Robbie Keane (Spurs)
      Reply #414: Jul 28, 2008 12:57:14 pm
      Sweet ;D ;D ;D
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,381 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #415: Jul 28, 2008 01:05:01 pm
      Lads ill have to insist that as looks likely he becomes a red that we ban the "keano keano"chant and "theres only one keano" anyone heard in the ground or around the ground chanting these takes a beating!!!
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #416: Jul 28, 2008 01:08:02 pm

This link suggest that the deal will be done later today! how cool would that be then I guess he'll link up with the rest of the team to face Villarreal!
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #417: Jul 28, 2008 01:09:31 pm
      Lads ill have to insist that as looks likely he becomes a red that we ban the "keano keano"chant and "theres only one keano" anyone heard in the ground or around the ground chanting these takes a beating!!!

What about "We love you Robbie".......

Oh Robbie Keane we love you!
      Kopkingo
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 70 posts |
      Reply #418: Jul 28, 2008 01:13:16 pm
      This link suggest that the deal will be done later today! how cool would that be then I guess he'll link up with the rest of the team to face Villarreal!

Echo says he completed the medical today too, but didn't sound as confident about the deal being done as the Irish Times

Kopkingo
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 70 posts |
      Reply #419: Jul 28, 2008 01:14:43 pm
      Sorry Brian.  I meant to comment on what you said but pushed the wrong key.

Absolutely agree.  There should be no manc copycat sh*t chants.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,381 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #420: Jul 28, 2008 01:18:44 pm
      Sorry Brian.  I meant to comment on what you said but pushed the wrong key.

Absolutely agree.  There should be no manc copycat sh*t chants.

I know the proper reds wont chant them but its the clowns im woried about ye know the ones who hear the chant on tv watching spurs or Ireland and thing it would be great to get to Anfield and sing it. Whoppers
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,910 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #421: Jul 28, 2008 01:27:07 pm
      Lot of people on this thread...every one waiting for that photo of Robbie and Rafa.  :o

It's nearly night time for me so look forward to logging on tomorrow to the wonderful news of the deal being completed.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #422: Jul 28, 2008 01:28:19 pm

Think you could end up fighting half the stadium there Brian. >:D

Better come up with some catchy alternative - quick.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #423: Jul 28, 2008 01:28:29 pm
      Lot of people on this thread...every one waiting for that photo of Robbie and Rafa.  :o

It's nearly night time for me so look forward to logging on tomorrow to the wonderful news of the deal being completed.

Ain't we all my Friend, ain't we all ;)
      Kopkingo
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 70 posts |
      Reply #424: Jul 28, 2008 01:38:00 pm

Think you could end up fighting half the stadium there Brian. >:D

Better come up with some catchy alternative - quick.

I'm sure there'll be 25 alternatives already sorted before we even see his picture in a reds top.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #425: Jul 28, 2008 01:43:55 pm
      Bloody hell it's like match day in here now!

Ouch watch me foot redref ;)
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #426: Jul 28, 2008 01:50:33 pm

If the deal is signed then yes I would have to agree with you a beating should occur in the event that he does eventually sign for us.
      _Dimitri_
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 211 posts |
      Reply #427: Jul 28, 2008 01:50:56 pm
      Just read the deal is signed, 4 year deal,  22,7 m euros, but could go to 25,2
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #428: Jul 28, 2008 01:57:28 pm
      Just read the deal is signed, 4 year deal,  22,7 m euros, but could go to 25,2

Do you have a reliable source?
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #429: Jul 28, 2008 02:00:06 pm
      BBC are saying that the deal should be done in the next 24 hours.

Liverpool close in on Keane deal 

Striker Keane is popular with Tottenham Hotspur fans
      Liverpool are expected to complete the £18m signing of striker Robbie Keane from Tottenham within 24 hours.

He underwent a medical on Monday and may be able to fly to Spain with the Liverpool squad ahead of Wednesday's friendly against Villarreal.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez completed the final stages of his negotiations with the 28-year-old over the weekend.

The Republic of Ireland star is expected to sign a five-year deal worth about £80,000 per week.

As a child growing up in Dublin, Keane was an avid supporter of the men from Anfield - and Liverpool will now become his sixth club after spells at Wolves, Coventry, Inter Milan and Leeds, before his switch to Tottenham in 2002 for £7m.

Keane had become Benitez's number one summer target over recent weeks, with the need to replace Peter Crouch, who joined Portsmouth earlier this month, seemingly more important than pursuing the complicated and protracted move for Aston Villa's 27-year-old midfielder Gareth Barry.

With the prospect of Xabi Alonso now remaining at Anfield, Liverpool may now decline to respond to Villa manager Martin O'Neill's demand that they make their intentions regarding Barry clear.

HA 
      Liverpool's response is that Villa have turned down four bids for Barry and the Merseysiders are not prepared to pay £18m for the England international.

Benitez will now be unwilling to allow full-back Steve Finnan, a possible makeweight in a deal for Barry, to leave the club.

That is because new signing Philipp Degen is expected to need surgery on a groin injury that will rule him out of the start of the season.

There is also the likelihood that Spain international Alvaro Arbeloa could return to his home country for £6m in the coming weeks, having expressed such a desire for personal reasons.

All such problems will be put aside by Benitez when he is able to unveil Keane - who married Irish model Claudine Palmer in June - as the new strike partner for Fernando Torres.

Torres cost Liverpool £20.2m when they bought him 12 months ago, and their current second biggest signing is Javier Mascherano, who cost £17m when the deal finally went through in February this year.

The arrival of Keane will take Liverpool's spending to about £32m since the end of last season. They have already drafted in Degen, fellow full-back Andrea Dossena, goalkeeper Diego Cavalieri and teenagers David Ngog and Emmanuel Mendy.

About £20m has been raised by selling Crouch, John Arne Riise, Scott Carson and Danny Guthrie.

_Dimitri_
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 211 posts |
      Reply #430: Jul 28, 2008 02:02:26 pm
      I'm from belgium, and here it is a very reliable source, it's a sportchannel who only post real transfers, not rumours
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #431: Jul 28, 2008 02:38:20 pm
      Dear me. PLEASE no Keano chants!!
      IB
      • Prediction League Champion 2008/09
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts | 18 
      Reply #432: Jul 28, 2008 02:49:55 pm
      I am very very pleased to hear of this signing (well almost signing). Keane partnering Torres upfront is going to be great. Keane will be brilliant as a second striker and will fill in Gerrard's role of giving Torres the firing power he needs up front, which will allow Gerrard to go back to where he plays best and where he's most effective. Many would have been more happy with Torres-Villa partnership but the two strikers are too similar and as seen from the Euros I can say that both strikers both enjoyed the "first striker" role, but often (during the Euros) Nando had to play as the second striker leaving Villa to be the first striker. I don't know how Villa would of adapted to English football but I think I would have prefered Torres to be the first striker with Villa playing as the second striker and this is a role that Villa would have taken time to adapt to and perhaps not liked seen as he enjoys so much pushing up front and being the first striker. Simply put I think Villa and Torres might have repelled due to both strikers loving to be the first striker, whereas Keane will be a brilliant second striker providing Nando with quality partnership. Keane may not be as deadly as Villa is upfront but I can certainly see Keane getting more assists than Villa and still scoring a number of goals himself. Keane can play a quiet role behind Torres and if needs be if something happens to Torres, then Keane himself can adapt well to play the "first striker" role. Keane and Torres will be deadly allowing Gerrard to get back into the heart of midfield and I can see us really tearing teams apart with this partnership. Not only will teams have to man mark Torres (which is hard enough itself) but they will also have to be careful with Keane, which allows both strikers to terrorise other teams defence.

Keane will provide assists and goals and I'm sure Gerrard will still be chipping in a lot of goals from midfield, with attacking players like Torres, Keane, Gerrard and Babel on the pitch at the same time, goals are certain. Keane will give us that extra bit we need to finish off teams that we didn't last season (Birmingham, Wigan etc). Keane - Torres partnership will be brilliant!

Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #433: Jul 28, 2008 03:10:00 pm
      So, what's our formation now? Can anyone help me at having a go here? I'd have to guess 4-1-3-2:

Reina

Finnan     Carra      Agger     Dossena

Mascherano

Silva?                                  Babel
                         Gerrard           
                   Keane    Torres
      « Last Edit: Jul 28, 2008 03:13:04 pm by Reslivo »
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #434: Jul 28, 2008 03:19:23 pm
      So, what's our formation now? Can anyone help me at having a go here? I'd have to guess 4-1-3-2:

Reina

Finnan     Carra      Agger     Dossena

Mascherano

Gerrard           
                   Keane    Torres

Seems the signing is imminent. I will welcome him with open arms. I think this is the best formation i've seen posted up in terms of keane being in the side. Although i still feel this will hinder torres impact it could work in a different way. I'd love to see Silva brought in as our last signing if we only get one winger. 
      Kopkingo
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 70 posts |
      Reply #435: Jul 28, 2008 03:34:44 pm
      Glad you didn't cose the post without reference to a winger lil cisse!  :f_tongueincheek:

Reina

Finnan     Carra      Agger     Dossena

Mascherano

Gerrard           
                   Keane    Torres

Formation looks good.  If we can get a winger like Silva, brilliant even.  Would prefer Gerrard a little deeper though:

Reina

Finnan     Carra      Agger     Dossena

Mascherano

Silva?            Gerrard            Babel

Keane           
                   Torres

Still, that's Rafa's Job to decide and I'm sure he'll get it spot on.
      IB
      • Prediction League Champion 2008/09
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts | 18 
      Reply #436: Jul 28, 2008 03:41:21 pm
      Personally I think it should be:

Reina

Carragher        Skrtel             Agger     Dossena

Babel                      Mascha                     Silva?

Gerrard

Keane
                          Torres

That's based on how Rafa liked to play the defence alot last season. But saying that I haven't seen Dossena play or Degen play, but with this formation Dossena can go into attack while the other three central defenders can defend. Hopefully it would be good if we can see Silva too.

Quick Reply