Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

The Robbie (His name ISN'T Keano) Keane thread

Read 108318 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6816 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Robbie Keane player thread
      Reply #46: Jul 29, 2008 08:55:28 am
      Welcome to the best Football club on the planet, Robbie. Can't wait to see you link up with Gerrard and Torres. Goals galore ;)

That corner flag sure is going to get shot a fair few times over the next few seasons.  ;D
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #47: Jul 29, 2008 08:59:14 am
      Jamie Redknapp, in todays Daily Mail, feels it's a great signing. He also states that him, Jamie, Stevie & Robbie are all mates. I think it's a very positive signing & I also believe he isn't a injury prone player, unlike some we could mention ;)
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #48: Jul 29, 2008 09:34:48 am
      Robbie Keane's first interview!!

Robbie, you're a Liverpool fan – this must be a dream come true?
      It is a dream come true. I have been a massive fan all my life and to be sat here today is overwhelming.

Why is now the right time to come to Liverpool?
      Because the opportunity came along. You know, Liverpool came in for me and it was something I always dreamed about as a kid. I am at the stage now where I want to kick on a bit and win a lot of trophies. I believe that Liverpool can do that with the squad of players we have.

Is it right you had the opportunity to come here when you were a teenager?
      I had the opportunity when I was 14. I could have signed but I just thought that, at the age I was, I might have a better chance of playing first-team football at Wolves – and that's how it worked out. I don't regret it, because I got into the Wolves team when I was just 17. I never regret things in life. By being at Wolves and going to the clubs I've been to – these things have led me to where I am today. There has been talk and speculation about a transfer since then but until now it has always been speculation.

What has Rafa Benitez told you about your role here?
      I have spoken to him about the situation. He knows how I play and hopefully I can do a job for him. It is up to me to prove that I can stay in the team every week. You don't just come into a club and expect to walk straight into the team; you have to earn your place and I am looking forward to doing that.

You'll be working day in, day out with Rafa – was he a big factor in you signing?
      Yes, he was. He is a fantastic manager and has done a lot for Liverpool Football Club. He has won the Champions League. That is a massive factor. But no one has to sell Liverpool Football Club to me. It sold itself a long, long time ago. When an opportunity like this comes along, you have to grab it with both hands.

You've played with some of the best strikers around in the last few years and I guess you are chomping at the bit to get out there and play with perhaps the best forward in the world, Fernando Torres…
      He has been a revelation since he came to the Premier League. He was absolutely outstanding last year and also in the Euros with Spain. It is hard to leave Tottenham with some of the players they had – like Dimitar Berbatov, who I had a great relationship with – but Torres is probably the best striker in the world right now. Hopefully we can play a lot of games together and do well.

Do you see yourself as a second striker, someone who can play a bit deeper behind, say, Torres, or as a striker in your own right?
      I see myself as a second striker. I can play off the shoulder, link things up and play in the hole. You are always judged on scoring goals as a striker and I have always scored a lot of goals. Hopefully I can continue that here at Liverpool.

How keen are you to pull on that number seven shirt here at Liverpool?
      Yes, as a Liverpool fan the number seven jersey is massive. It is a fantastic opportunity for me that obviously I'm relishing. The people who have worn the number seven here, like Kevin Keegan and Kenny Dalglish – if I do half the job they did at Liverpool I will be happy.

Was the lure of the Champions League a big factor?
      I have only played in Champions League qualifiers before but, you know, it's the whole package. I have always wanted to come here but, yes, the Champions League and being able to win things is a major factor.

At 28, would you say you are in your prime?
      Yes, I think so. The last four years have been great for me and I believe I am at my peak. I am at a good age and if I didn't come to Liverpool now, maybe the opportunity wouldn't come again. It has worked out perfectly for me and, hopefully, for Liverpool Football Club as well.

You scored two against us last year – was that strange, as a Liverpool fan?
      It is difficult. I support Liverpool but you have to blank that out of your mind. It was nice to score at the Kop end but now I am looking forward to scoring at the Kop end in a red shirt.

It's Villarreal on Wednesday, then Rangers at the weekend. Either of these would be great to make your debut, wouldn't they?
      Regardless of who it's against it will be fantastic. It's something I am really looking to. I'm not too bothered who it is against, I'm just looking forward to pulling on that red shirt and playing for Liverpool. It's something I've always dreamed about and sometimes dreams do come true.

You are famous for your cartwheel celebration – might we see that at Anfield any time soon?
      I will probably bring it out once for the Liverpool fans as I've done it down the years, but after that it will probably go back in the box.

And this must be a nice way to end a brilliant summer for you, what with you getting married as well?
      Yes, it's been a fantastic year for me all in all, with Tottenham doing well and winning the League Cup, then getting married and now coming to the club I love. I will never, ever forget this year.

Was it a difficult decision to leave Tottenham?
      It was, because of the relationship I had with everyone there, and being vice-captain. Ledley King has been injured quite a lot, so I've had to take on the role of captain quite a bit. The relationship I had with the fans and the chairman meant it was difficult to leave. I am leaving good friends behind, but if there is one club that could take me away from Tottenham it is Liverpool.

Do you have a message for the Tottenham supporters?
      Sometimes in life you don't get many opportunities to go somewhere you have dreamed of going. The Tottenham fans have been absolutely brilliant with me and I want to thank them for their support over the years. I look forward to seeing them again and I will never forget the way they treated me.

And what would you say to Liverpool fans who are obviously very excited about seeing you here?
      I can't wait to put the jersey on and hopefully they are looking forward to it too. I will always give 100 per cent for this club and hopefully score and create goals.
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #49: Jul 29, 2008 09:36:14 am
      Looks like he's getting the number 7 shirt!
      From liverpoolfc.tv

Robbie Keane will follow in the line of Anfield greats such as Kenny Dalglish and Kevin Keegan and wear the famous number seven shirt. 
      Our new striker takes over the jersey from the departed Harry Kewell, and he told Liverpoolfc.tv it will be an honour to have the number seven on his back.

"As a Liverpool fan the number seven jersey is massive," said Keane. "It is a fantastic opportunity for me that obviously I'm relishing. The people who have worn the number seven here, like Kevin Keegan and Kenny Dalglish - if I do half the job they did at Liverpool I will be happy." 
      shikhark
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts |
      Reply #50: Jul 29, 2008 09:44:43 am
      This is going to be a great signing. Torres and Keane,with Stevie behind them.

Cant wait ...
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #51: Jul 29, 2008 09:56:40 am
      We must give Rafa credit for sealing this deal. He still makes things happen with little or no money.

AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #52: Jul 29, 2008 10:26:07 am
      We must give Rafa credit for sealing this deal. He still makes things happen with little or no money.

This is true and he also did well to fend off all the media critics who doubted his ability to make the big money signings.  I am chuffed at the fact he has signed and will have no 7 you can't get many nicer blokes like that to give it too!
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #53: Jul 29, 2008 10:33:03 am
      Hope he does very well. Glad he got the number 7 shirt, i can only imagine what that must feel like.

Was sad to see rafa say he can use him on the right though i dont think he should be used there. What formation does everyone think we will play now or will it remain a 4-2-3-1 with keane where gerrard was before.
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #54: Jul 29, 2008 10:48:51 am
      Hope he does very well. Glad he got the number 7 shirt, i can only imagine what that must feel like.

Was sad to see rafa say he can use him on the right though i dont think he should be used there. What formation does everyone think we will play now or will it remain a 4-2-3-1 with keane where gerrard was before.

i would rather see gerrard on the right to be honest with you.

i think robbie would have more of an impact behind torres as he is slighty more creative than stevie and gerrard on the right scored his biggest tallly from there !

plus he can keep the shape that rafa loves so much and the defensive work which he normally gets from dirk wont be sacrificed !

either way its gonna be awesome !

i cant wait for the season to styart now although it would be the icing onthe cake if we silva or a decent winger as well now !
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #55: Jul 29, 2008 10:53:39 am
      Keane delight at Liverpool switch 

Keane is a lifelong Liverpool fan
      New Liverpool signing Robbie Keane admits it is a dream for him to sign for the Anfield outfit.

Keane, 28, signed from Tottenham on Monday in a deal worth £20.3m and says he always wanted to play for the Reds.

"I've been waiting for this day since I was a kid. I'm a massive fan, so to be sitting here in a Liverpool tracksuit is a dream come true," said Keane.

"I am so grateful just to be here. I love the club and this is the one dream I had still to achieve."

He added: "I always wanted to be a footballer as a kid, but also to play for Liverpool, maybe you never feel it is going to happen.

"Now I am enjoying every minute and I can't wait to pull on that red shirt. This is a massive club and I want to do everything I can to make them even more successful.

If I can have half as much success in the number seven shirt as Keegan and Dalglish did, I will be a happy man

Liverpool's Robbie Keane
      "The reasons I left Spurs are that I am a huge Liverpool fan and the chance to play for them may never come around again.

"This opportunity is something I couldn't let go. I am at an age now when I believe I am at my peak, and aim to kick on."

Keane's move has been criticised by Spurs chairman Daniel Levy, but he does not believe he betrayed the White Hart Lane outfit down by leaving.

"I do not think I let Spurs down. I had six fantastic seasons there and gave them everything, from day one," he said.

"I always give everything, and that will never change. The Spurs fans were always magnificent to me and I will always have a place in my heart for them.

"But this is a new chapter in my life and one that I am looking forward to. I had six great years at Spurs and thank them for that."

Keane, who is the Republic of Ireland's record goalscorer, says he cannot wait to begin his partnership with the club's Spanish sensation Fernando Torres, who scored 33 goals in all competitions in his debut season last term.

"He has been a revelation since he came to the Premier League," said Keane. "He was absolutely outstanding last year and also in the Euros with Spain.

606: DEBATE
      Keane is not average, he is superb and will definitely give us an extra edge

ya_dafty
      "It is hard to leave Tottenham with some of the players they had - like Dimitar Berbatov, who I had a great relationship with - but Torres is probably the best striker in the world right now.

"Hopefully we can play a lot of games together and do well."

Keane also revealed his pride in being handed the number seven shirt at Anfield, following in the footsteps of the likes of Liverpool legends Kenny Dalglish and Kevin Keegan.

"To wear that shirt is an honour, and something I truly understand. If I can have half as much success in it as Keegan and Dalglish did, I will be a happy man," he said.

Reds boss Rafael Benitez says he hopes the shirt inspires Keane to succeed at Liverpool.

"We were talking about the number, and the big names that have had this number, so it will be inspirational for him to have it too," said the Spaniard.

"We were looking for a player with game intelligence and good movement who could play alongside Torres.

"He can play with Torres up front and also on the right. He is a player who can give to us a lot of goals - normally he gets about 15 each year.

"We were looking for the workrate he can give to us, the game intelligence and also the goals."

T-Unit-LFC
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts | 11 
      • We Won It 5 Times!
      Reply #56: Jul 29, 2008 10:54:15 am
      It's great that he has passion for the club with being a huge Liverpool fan and that!

He's a quality player always rated him and i think we'll go from strength to strength now!!

Let's hope his passion gets him the goals and quality we need to finally end our title hurt!!

Matt
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #57: Jul 29, 2008 11:03:21 am
      World Class - Well worth the money - now makes us serious title challengers next season.

Doubters of him, know nothing - seriously!
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #58: Jul 29, 2008 11:07:27 am
      Quality singing I cant wait to see him play for us,perfect partner for Torres playing just behind him and dropping off.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #59: Jul 29, 2008 02:33:57 pm

KEANE RELISHING TORRES LINK-UP AT LIVERPOOL

The Guardian 29 July 2008 

Robbie Keane admits he is looking forward to the prospect of playing alongside Fernando Torres, whom he describes as "probably the best striker in the world right now". 

Following the departure of Peter Crouch to Portsmouth earlier this summer, the Republic of Ireland captain is likely to form manager Rafael Benítez's first-choice strike partnership, with Keane playing just behind the Spaniard and linking up with the Liverpool midfield.

"I see myself as a second striker," Keane said. "I can play off the shoulder, link things up and play in the hole. You are always judged on scoring goals as a striker and I have always scored a lot of goals. Hopefully I can continue that here at Liverpool."

Keane, who has become Liverpool's second-most expensive signing after Torres moved to Anfield last summer, believes he could form a prolific partnership with Torres.

"He has been a revelation since he came to the Premier League. He was absolutely outstanding last year and also in the Euros with Spain," Keane added. "It is hard to leave Tottenham with some of the players they had - like Dimitar Berbatov, who I had a great relationship with - but Torres is probably the best striker in the world right now. Hopefully we can play a lot of games together and do well. The last four years have been great for me and I believe I am at my peak. I am at a good age and if I didn't come to Liverpool now, maybe the opportunity wouldn't come again."

Benítez will give Keane the No7 shirt vacated by Harry Kewell's transfer to Galatasaray and previously worn by Kenny Dalglish and Kevin Keegan. "We were talking about the number, and the big names that have had this number, so it will be inspirational for him to have it too," Benítez said.

"We were looking for a player with game intelligence and good movement who could play alongside Torres. He can play with Torres up front and also on the right. He is a player who can give to us a lot of goals - normally he gets about 15 each year. We were looking for the work-rate he can give to us, the game intelligence and also the goals." 

*********************************************************************************************

To say I'm excited at the mouth watering prospect of Keane lining up with Torres is certainly an understatement, but we must also be pateint with him, I hope he does really well but we must also be careful not to get to carried away, and he may need a little time to settle into the 'Liverpool way' of how things are done.

Obviously the fact that he's used to the EPL will be an enormous help, and I can't wait to see him.

This is obviously the player that Rafa was talking about when he said "Speaks good English, but isn't English"  ;)

Go Robbie  ;D  and in the number 7 shirt as well.

It's also good to have another Robbie back in the team  ;D
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #60: Jul 29, 2008 05:13:31 pm

This is obviously the player that Rafa was talking about when he said "Speaks good English, but isn't English"  ;)

Go Robbie  ;D  and in the number 7 shirt as well.

It's also good to have another Robbie back in the team  ;D

Oh yea very crafty Rafa, well remembered Cas! :D
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #61: Jul 29, 2008 05:16:56 pm
      Welcome to the best club of the World, Robbie!

Another Robbie in our team, hope, he can repeat some his records.
      And hope now #7 will be for the right player!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #62: Jul 29, 2008 05:26:42 pm
      Most important comment of the day

Meanwhile, reporters quizzed the new boy on how he would deal with squad rotation.

Keane responded: "If you want to be the best, you have to have a big squad. In the last few seasons my managers have done it – Juande Ramos and Martin Jol. I still had some great seasons there.

"It is up to the manager what he wants to do but I am here for the team – not Robbie Keane."

That was my main fear put to rest
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #63: Jul 29, 2008 05:29:34 pm
      Oh yea very crafty Rafa, well remembered Cas! :D

Haha that was Degen.
      maxextz
      • Forum David Johnson

• 231 posts | -13 
      • Id like To dip my cookies in your tears.
      Reply #64: Jul 29, 2008 05:34:07 pm
      what a fantastic signing great player great finisher and going to be the perfect partner for nando, this lad is going to have the same impact as gary mac if not more wait and see, and as a bonus the same type of character as carra and stevie g.or should i say a WINNER. ;D
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #65: Jul 29, 2008 06:20:28 pm
      this is a very hefty price.....but...you dont win nothing with kids
      lets hope he is worth it....

but i suppose this is the way of the market these days, i only think depreciation will be massive when he is 31 he will be worth buttons. lets hope we can recoup the money spent by winning some trophies...

i seriously think rafa has bought him to win the prem as he is a proven prem player, but i wouldnt have payed more than 14 mill to be honest....but when you consider we got 11 for crouch.... we havent actually spent that much
      janner1952
      • Jannered
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #66: Jul 29, 2008 06:34:22 pm
      What a great buy,always liked the guy gives 100% every time.Can`t wait to see him in a Liverpool shirt.C`MON YOU REDS
      jonnylfc88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 265 posts |
      Reply #67: Jul 29, 2008 06:44:06 pm
      can't wait to see torres keane gerrard babel all linking up - makes me tingle haha
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #68: Jul 29, 2008 07:06:14 pm
      this is a very hefty price.....but...you dont win nothing with kids
      lets hope he is worth it....

but i suppose this is the way of the market these days, i only think depreciation will be massive when he is 31 he will be worth buttons. lets hope we can recoup the money spent by winning some trophies...

i seriously think rafa has bought him to win the prem as he is a proven prem player, but i wouldnt have payed more than 14 mill to be honest....but when you consider we got 11 for crouch.... we havent actually spent that much

Some good points. I agree with the idea that this is Rafa's idea of getting a serious bid at the title now. Keane's got shedloads of experience and will be a great help for that, and by the time he's 31 the "kids" are going to be getting into their prime! We've got plenty of youngsters in the 16-20 bracket, let's hope they're pushing for the first team by then, making us a force to be reckoned with for years after!

As for the price paid, I'll be interested to compare our net spending by the time the transfer period is over! I'll bet we won't be the biggest spender by a long shot.

Quick Reply