Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 12th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Leto denied work permit - Rafa fumes

Read 4076 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Leto denied work permit - Rafa fumes
      Aug 04, 2008 11:40:34 am
      Liverpool's Seb Leto has been denied a work permit to play for us next season.

Rafa had wanted to bring Leto more in to the first team squad but will now have to send the Argentine out on loan to a foreign club, hopefully where he can get enough games.

Benitez attended the hearing in Sheffield on Friday on behalf of Leto and was fuming afterwards.  Leto joined the reds from Argentina last year as he had an Italian passport, but the legality of this document has since been questioned.

"I’m really disappointed. I feel that the system clearly needs to change.

"I cannot understand how an Argentinian player who has been in the squad for the Olympic games and has different coaches and managers talking about how good he is, who has been playing in the Champions League and playing for a club like Liverpool (cannot get a work permit).

"Some people say that they know more than the managers and that (what Leto has done) is not good enough but it is a surprise.

"You cannot understand why.

"It’s crazy. Eight or 10 managers in different countries like Spain, Italy and Greece are asking about the player, they want the player but some people sit down on a chair and in front of a table and say it’s not good enough."

Benitez added: "We know that we need to find a solution and we need to find a good team for him and hopefully in the future if he’s playing in the Champions League maybe someone will say ‘oh, we made a mistake’.

"At the end of the day, they are playing with the future of the player and I don’t think it’s fair.

"I was talking with them (the committee). We showed them some DVDs and a lot of information about how good a player he is for different managers but they said the same (not granting him a work permit).

"They were nice people but maybe some of them think that they know more than the managers."

Anyone else think we get a bit hard done by with these things?
      « Last Edit: Aug 04, 2008 11:44:36 am by JD »
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Re: Leto denied work permit - Rafa fumes
      Reply #1: Aug 04, 2008 12:04:44 pm
      Committee probably comprises of Mancs, Chavs and blueshite  ;)
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #2: Aug 04, 2008 12:11:01 pm
      I'm not into the "hard done by" train of thought. Will probably work out for the best this way anyhow. The young lad nearly always looked slightly out of his depth when I've seen him play...getting a season's experience at a foreign club could do him the world of good. Wasn't aware that Rafa felt he was ready for the first team this year. I would definitely have thought otherwise. But I suppose if we haven't enough wingers, we haven't enough wingers!
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #3: Aug 04, 2008 12:34:39 pm
      It's annoying to see anyone who has a name that's known has no trouble getting his permit. Would someone explain to idiot politicians that football players want to work and they will not be sponging of off them and if they think they are taking an Englishman's job look again and you'll find that you lot sold off all the parks and facilities where our kids used to play many years ago...
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #4: Aug 04, 2008 12:36:38 pm
      I thought he was all but gone to panathanicos :S

Maybe he'll go back to argentina on loan now...
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #5: Aug 04, 2008 12:43:22 pm
      happy days, hes not good enough for the first team yet so he should gain a bit of experience elsewere and hopefully play in the champions league with Olympiakos- i do feel we should sell him but thats a different matter
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #6: Aug 04, 2008 12:59:51 pm
      What a c**t! This is a players future ffs.

Was starting to show promise too.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,202 posts | 3391 
      Reply #7: Aug 04, 2008 01:10:41 pm
      These things always happen, but they usually end up all right. We'll should be getting a work permit for him in a couple of years.

What I don't understand is how can he play in Greece but not England...do Greece not follow the same rules as England or is more than just football?
      « Last Edit: Aug 04, 2008 01:18:40 pm by JD »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #8: Aug 04, 2008 01:19:43 pm
      These things always happen, but they usually end up all right. We'll should be getting a work permit for him in a couple of years.

What I don't understand is how can he play in Greece but not England...do Greece not follow the same rules as England or is more than just football?

I would imagine each European country have their own immigration and work-permit rules regarding non-EU citizens, which Leto - with the question marks over his Italian passport - is being classed as.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,202 posts | 3391 
      Reply #9: Aug 04, 2008 01:32:55 pm
      Cheers for the info JD.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #10: Aug 04, 2008 01:42:59 pm
      How can people say he looks out of his depth? I've seen glimpses of what he can do, and believe me, we are losing some amazing potential here. He would be our best choice for left-wing ... now who have we got? Right-footed Babel or Yossi, both of which operate better on the right - the former being at the Olympics too. God damn our work-permit rules.
      browser
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #11: Aug 04, 2008 02:25:06 pm
      I couldn't understand why Gonzales was denied one and now Leto but I don't think either of them are good enough for Liverpool anyway, although Leto is a good prospect.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #12: Aug 04, 2008 02:27:39 pm
      Hopefully he will have a good loan spell and be brought back.

One thing i will say, i bet manucho will get his work permit and be allowed to play for the mancs. Would suprise me if he didnt.
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,539 posts | 34 
      • Right or wrong, its MY opinion.
      Reply #13: Aug 04, 2008 02:56:56 pm
      This govenment amazes me everyday (for the wrong things).  We let foreigners into this country everyday that do nothing but sponge off the state, yet a footballer who wants to work AND WILL PAY TAXES is told
      "No, sorry."
      Anyone else mystified?
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #14: Aug 04, 2008 06:41:05 pm
      Sebastian Leto has flown to Greece ahead of his proposed loan switch to Olympiakos.

The Liverpool winger is set to undergo a medical at the Greek champions on Tuesday prior to his official unveiling.

He will sign an initial one-year deal, although Olympiakos will have the option of extending his stay until 2010 should the Argentinean impress during the first 12 months.

No agreement has been reached between the two clubs regarding a possible permanent switch, so Leto will be expected to return to Liverpool at the conclusion of the contract.

He has been forced out on loan following his failure to secure a work permit which would have allowed him to continue his career in England.
      Mr Topsy Turvey
      • Forum David Johnson

• 226 posts |
      Reply #15: Aug 04, 2008 06:57:22 pm
      Surely, seeing as this isn't the first time this has happened with Leto - we should just sell him, get some money, and solve the problem - but IRWT
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #16: Aug 04, 2008 07:05:13 pm
      This govenment amazes me everyday (for the wrong things).  We let foreigners into this country everyday that do nothing but sponge off the state, yet a footballer who wants to work AND WILL PAY TAXES is told
      "No, sorry."
      Anyone else mystified?
      Thats this country for you mate? amazes me too.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #17: Aug 04, 2008 07:15:19 pm
      "No, sorry."
      Anyone else mystified?

I know, it's bloody ridiculous isn't it? You'd think with the amount they pay in taxes the government would be willing to grant a work permit to any top level footballer.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #18: Aug 04, 2008 07:25:29 pm
      Not being funny but how can the "Cheeky Girls" stay here? Have they got a work permit?
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #19: Aug 04, 2008 07:29:06 pm
      Not being funny but how can the "Cheeky Girls" stay here? Have they got a work permit?
      I think so mate they are from transalvainia , part of europe
      Mr Topsy Turvey
      • Forum David Johnson

• 226 posts |
      Reply #20: Aug 04, 2008 07:32:29 pm
      I would assume that they do have a work permit
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #21: Aug 04, 2008 08:15:10 pm

Shagging an MP probably helps.

Somebody want to suggest this to Sebastian?

Mr Topsy Turvey
      • Forum David Johnson

• 226 posts |
      Reply #22: Aug 04, 2008 08:21:59 pm
      John Prescott would be very accommodating :P ;)

Quick Reply