Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Benitez hails 'amazing' Kuyt

Read 5296 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Re: Benitez hails 'amazing' Kuyt
      Reply #23: Aug 28, 2008 10:59:54 am
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/7578510.stm

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez:

"We have to give credit to Kuyt because sometimes when he makes a mistake people highlight it.
      "But you could see for the 120 minutes how hard he works and he is an amazing player for every team.
      "He never hides and is the kind of player who is very important and he is a fantastic professional."

Standard Liege boss Laszlo Boloni:

"We are very sad after that result. Over two matches we have been the best organised team and we deserved better than to lose like that in the final minutes.
      "We have produced a high standard in both matches, and now I hope that can be continued in our league matches and the Uefa Cup.
      "I sometimes wondered whether the referee was effected by the fact that we were playing a big team. I felt we should have had a couple of penalties.
      "But in the end we created a lot of good situations in both matches and did not make use of them."
      ________________________ ________________________ ___________

Laszlo Boloni actually poked Rafa benitez in full glare of the media. Such Moron. Daring o put his hand on Rafa Benitez. Deserves a beat-down. Penalty?! Get a life!
      DOOLEY
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts | -5 
      Reply #24: Aug 28, 2008 11:06:34 am
      get in kuyt
      hes the hardest working player ever
      he never stops running and in the interview after he didnt even seem tired
      he'll never be the silkiest player but at the moment i think hes worth the money liverpool pay for him
      GET IN KUYT!!!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #25: Aug 28, 2008 11:11:20 am
      a couple of penalties :S . what about the El Zhar one which we never got!! The man needs to grow up and get a life, they are the dirtiest team we have ever played and thats even above the likes of Blackburn.

On to the topic though, Kuyt didn't play well but you name me somebody who did? Reina was the only person, he deserves every little bit of credit for us going through. One thing I don't get with you lot right is the fact that you say on other posts "we don't slag off our own players until they've gone", but look at this post!! About 90% of people have slagged him off. He did far better than Keane that's for sure, atleast he doesn't run away from the bloody ball when it's near him.

get in kuyt
      hes the hardest working player ever
      he never stops running and in the interview after he didnt even seem tired
      he'll never be the silkiest player but at the moment I think hes worth the money liverpool pay for him
      GET IN KUYT!!!

I couldn't agree with you more, he is worth every penny. ;D
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #26: Aug 28, 2008 02:03:02 pm
      Dirk Kuyt has the touch of a pit viper !

people who work hard and graft are builders, labourers and coal miners.

we need players who can control a football, ive seen better sunday league players and Rafa only makes him looks worse by not playing him in the box which is the only area he can actually provide a service IMO.

macsherano can do the donkey work thanks, you cannot win the premier league on PENS rafa !!!!

so please buy us some width and technique like the other top 6 teams in the league !
      DOOLEY
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts | -5 
      Reply #27: Aug 28, 2008 02:15:25 pm
      Dirk Kuyt has the touch of a pit viper !

people who work hard and graft are builders, labourers and coal miners.

we need players who can control a football, ive seen better sunday league players and Rafa only makes him looks worse by not playing him in the box which is the only area he can actually provide a service IMO.

macsherano can do the donkey work thanks, you cannot win the premier league on PENS rafa !!!!

so please buy us some width and technique like the other top 6 teams in the league !

i agree but the way he runs so much creates space for others or himself (like ysterday) ofcourse we would rather have messi but we cant and he is the best weve got
       he is worth every penny
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #28: Aug 28, 2008 02:23:45 pm

Of a pound yes...of 10 million pounds no.
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #29: Aug 28, 2008 02:25:37 pm

guffaw !
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #30: Aug 28, 2008 02:28:52 pm
      the problem we have, and i know its been said many times already, is the flanks.

we can sometimes get away with playing diggler up front against say everton or some of the really really crap teams.

but against top european opposition, (std liege) we cannot get away with it !
      DOOLEY
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts | -5 
      Reply #31: Aug 28, 2008 03:21:17 pm

that goal yeserday earned liverpool at least 10 mil pounds
      so nice one dirk
      rght place right time
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #32: Aug 28, 2008 03:26:25 pm
      and i expect that 10 mil will go straight into john candys deep pockets to invest in new 'wider' seats at the baseball ground

:D
      Istvan Kozma
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 165 posts | 31 
      Reply #33: Aug 28, 2008 03:28:51 pm
      Kuyt is a great guy - I think we can all see that - but I'm beggining to 'hate' him - as I honestly think he will cost us any chance of winning the league this season.

Okay - he pops up with the odd vital goal - so did Garcia - but we all agreed he was never going to be a player to consistantly win us games.

Kuyt and Garcia are very similar in the fact they are both headless chickens and lose the ball to much.

Get rid - or Rafa should get the sack!

So you think Rafa should get rid of Kuyt or get sacked?  Don't you think that you're going a bit too far? 

We all know the failings of Kuyt, but there are other players at the club who should be shifted before him... Whether Kuyt is good enough for Liverpool FC or not, he does give 100% every time, which is more than can be said for the likes of Pennant who came to club claiming he had nothing to prove, and hasn't proved he's good enough to play for club since... He does offer more width than Kuyt, that's obvious, but too often there is no end product and his goals return is woeful...at least Kuyt poses more of a goal threat and he came up with the goods last night... No, he didn't have a good game, but neither did a good few others, but it seems strange that he receives most of the critcism.

It's obvious we're lacking width, but there's no way I'd play Pennant ahead of Kuyt... and stating that Benitez should be sacked if he doesn't get rid of Kuyt is ridiculous in my opinion.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #34: Aug 28, 2008 03:34:39 pm
      The only thing amazing about Kuyt at the moment is that he gets a game at all.
      DOOLEY
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts | -5 
      Reply #35: Aug 28, 2008 03:37:21 pm
      The only thing amazing about Kuyt at the moment is that he gets a game at all.

do you not see by all that running he does is making space for others or popping up to score a few himself
      hes a great guy, hardest working player ever, by no means the silkiest but still rafa knows what hes talkin about
      have faith in DIRK and RAFA
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #36: Aug 28, 2008 03:42:12 pm
      do you not see by all that running he does is making space for others or popping up to score a few himself
      hes a great guy, hardest working player ever, by no means the silkiest but still rafa knows what hes talkin about
      have faith in DIRK and RAFA

Hes not an LFC player, no where near it and we shouldnt be accepting players like this.

it takes a lot more than being a nice guy.

rooney does lots of running , does he have the touch of a pit viper?
      Mario91
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts |
      Reply #37: Aug 28, 2008 04:13:27 pm
      As i said in the match treath Kuyt was our best offensive player yestarday (except - Nabil el Zhar).
      Even in the first half when Dirk played on the right he played a lot better than Torres,Keane,Gerrard and Benayoun.
      Babel was also very poor, but he gave a nice pass to Dirk.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #38: Aug 28, 2008 07:22:33 pm
      The sheer respect i have for Kuyt is amazing, he's not cocky or arrogant, just puts his head down, takes critisim and tries to work on that for the next match and always comes up with important goals when we need them.

Here's to another 100 games and many more after
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #39: Aug 28, 2008 10:02:06 pm
      I'm torn.. He's a likeable guy, hard working and a consummate pro but i cant help but think we could have someone a little more effective in that position in certain games..
      His character is so right for Lfc but he's got a paedophiles touch...
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #40: Aug 29, 2008 02:55:57 am
      Ok mate like who can we have thats better he has a pretty descent goal return for us and we are not F***ing Chelsea where we can just dig out millions for Robinhos.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #41: Aug 29, 2008 07:56:29 am
      Well again Rafa has proven that he is just enjoying the shear life of living on the edge. Making controversial decisions in the hope of them bearing fruits, I cant believe he has both Benyoun and Kuyt on the wing; and seems to be quite comfortable with our predictability of our style of game. In essence Benayoun is a good player a very handy one that will give you a good turn over of goals, whilst giving that creative flare in playing which all goes good for the entertaining side of the game. But its a simple question some say that Gerrard should be playing right behind the FORWARDS but i say for what?...when Benayoun is obviously more of a skillfull player. Gerrard is awesome at bursting through the spaces and creating spaces. Shouldn't he be playing on the right side of the midfield knowing that his crosses are impeccable. People like Benayoun,Pennant,Kuyt always find time to over dribble the ball on the wing holding up play and causing good chances top go a rye.

Hence Gerrard would be my answer to the right side, obviously Alonso,Masherano,Lucas can handle the inside of the midfield Babel is an easy pick for the other wing.
      Kuyt I see on the bench...*sigh* sad to say but he is just not turning over enough goals to play as a forward and too unskilled for playing on the wing. Might as well play Ngog, Risse shouldnt have been sold atleast and i am sure rafa wouldnt left him go if he knew this would be the outcome he could have handle his side...but we have to incur losses to be a better team.

I think i strayed a little but my argument is; Kuyt should be a man marker- not someone we expecting gifted crosses and creativity. He energy speaks well to his character and hey i think deep down within he knows he is just not good enough. So he spikes up his energy levels as there would be nothing else other than a few fumbled in goals for them to keep him.

Thanks for the goal though it played back for your transfer fee...lmao
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #42: Aug 29, 2008 08:32:41 am
      As I said in the match treath Kuyt was our best offensive player yestarday (except - Nabil el Zhar).
      Even in the first half when Dirk played on the right he played a lot better than Torres,Keane,Gerrard and Benayoun.
      Babel was also very poor, but he gave a nice pass to Dirk.

I don't know which match you were watching.  Kuyt gave the ball away almost every time he got it.  I agree he chases after the ball all the time but this is mostly because he has lost it in the first place.  His first touch is awful.  No one can doubt his commitment or the 110% he gives in every game but at this level it is not enough.  Nice guy but at the moment I would play Nabil. 
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #43: Aug 29, 2008 08:32:48 am
      Rafa is praising Kuyt but inside he's saying thank F**k he scored other wise Rafa's ass was on the line if any of the other players had scored this article would be about them!!!

Kuyt was at the right place at the right time and Rafa got very lucky if we had got kicked out of the champs his head would be on a block for sure, especially the way we are playing at the moment.  
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #44: Aug 29, 2008 09:37:48 am
      Let's sum this up:

We bought this player because he was prolific in the Dutch League.

Liverpool bought Kuyt toi play as a forward and score us 20+ goals in the Prem League.

The guy has been given his chance as a forward and he's not a natural finisher - he's head down, drive through the ball and hopefully it hits the back of the net - watch the majority of his goals and you'll see that.

So he's failed as a forward for us.  Now Rafa plays him on the right side.  He's not a winger.  He has no pace, no telling cross...and he's always running head down, so cannot deliver a telling pass to unlock the defence.

All he does for our team is 'run'.  He scores the 'odd' goal and sometimes the 'odd' goal is an important one.  But wouldn't you rather swap the odd goal for a player who can deliver 10-15 assists in a season and score 5-10 goals easily.

The longer Rafa plays this man - the more I feel he hasn't got a clue.

Dirk Kuyt - nice guy - but 'sh*te' !
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #45: Aug 29, 2008 11:36:29 am

Hes not an LFC player, no where near it and we shouldnt be accepting players like this.

it takes a lot more than being a nice guy.

rooney does lots of running , does he have the touch of a pit viper?

Mate you need to get a grip and stop being pathetic. I'm sick of the people who come out with such negative comments!! Your the people that tell others to not slag off our own players but yet go and do it yoruselves. You ain't no Liverpool fan if your slagging off a player that gives the club 100000% everytime he plays. There are so many players that need getting rid of before him!!

You say he isn't a LFC player and we shouldn'y be accepting players like him but i bet your one of the people that will be cheering and jumping when Riera signs in the next few days won't you!! He's 1000 times worse than Kuyt.

Quick Reply