Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. UPDATE: 6th April - Will we get top 4?

No
      115 (75.2%)
      Yes
      38 (24.8%)

Total Members Voted: 150

The Top 4. Can we get there?

Read 124017 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: The Top 4. Can we get there?
      Reply #897: Mar 24, 2015 03:46:48 pm
      By very definition both games were/are "a six pointer"... six pointers don't come into play with teams like Villa, West Ham, Villa and Palace... therein lies the difference mate.

And to me that's what's wrong with prioritizing matches against the top sides as opposed to getting maximum points against the teams 6 through 20. They don't become "six pointers" if you do what you're supposed to do and beat who you're supposed to beat. There are only 8 matches against the top 4, but 30 against the bottom 15.

Yeah, everyone wants to beat the likes of Arsenal and United for bragging rights, but it doesn't mean a damn thing if you don't get maximum points vs Newcastle, Hull, West Brom, QPR, etc. It's only when you fail to win those that you need to dislodge teams above you.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #898: Mar 24, 2015 04:55:22 pm
      And to me that's what's wrong with prioritizing matches against the top sides as opposed to getting maximum points against the teams 6 through 20. They don't become "six pointers" if you do what you're supposed to do and beat who you're supposed to beat. There are only 8 matches against the top 4, but 30 against the bottom 15.

Yeah, everyone wants to beat the likes of Arsenal and United for bragging rights, but it doesn't mean a damn thing if you don't get maximum points vs Newcastle, Hull, West Brom, QPR, etc. It's only when you fail to win those that you need to dislodge teams above you.
      Yeah... You're probably right.  :gt-happyup:
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #899: Mar 24, 2015 08:20:58 pm
      Not just saying this to be controversial but I got to thinking does it really matter whether we get top 4 this season?

A big part of being in the top four (aside from the opportunity to win the European Cup) is that it enables clubs to lift their status, to generate income, to become more attractive to the top players and thus being in a position to improve the team/squad. My feeling the past few years is "we must get back in because if we don't such and such will leave and we won't be able to attract top players".

But then I look at this past summer, we finally got back in and then we bought a bunch of players who would have signed regardless. Markovic (given that he was at a Champions League club in Sporting, I think?) is the only one IMO who might not have come had we not qualified. As for the rest, your Cans, Morenos, half the Saints team etc I figured we could have recruited the lot of them with or without top four.
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 992 posts | 68 
      Reply #900: Mar 24, 2015 08:34:14 pm
      Not just saying this to be controversial but I got to thinking does it really matter whether we get top 4 this season?

A big part of being in the top four (aside from the opportunity to win the European Cup) is that it enables clubs to lift their status, to generate income, to become more attractive to the top players and thus being in a position to improve the team/squad. My feeling the past few years is "we must get back in because if we don't such and such will leave and we won't be able to attract top players".

But then I look at this past summer, we finally got back in and then we bought a bunch of players who would have signed regardless. Markovic (given that he was at a Champions League club in Sporting, I think?) is the only one IMO who might not have come had we not qualified. As for the rest, your Cans, Morenos, half the Saints team etc I figured we could have recruited the lot of them with or without top four.

i agree with you on this , i think top four is the status, the money , possible attraction of quality players but quality established players will look to play for champions league teams that regularly get to the last 8 or so and are in with a shot every season. we are still developing .
      Saying all this the , music, the atmosphere the european nights at Anfield is just great for us fans so fingers crossed we get there and have a better campain than this season.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,322 posts | 1524 
      Reply #901: Mar 24, 2015 11:01:04 pm
      Think it all comes down to the Arse game. If we can get a draw from that, we will be in with a chance, but if we lose, it may be too big a gap to make up in what will then be 8 games. win it and we are back on track.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #902: Mar 25, 2015 01:42:09 am
      Think it all comes down to the Arse game. If we can get a draw from that, we will be in with a chance, but if we lose, it may be too big a gap to make up in what will then be 8 games. win it and we are back on track.

Don't think we can afford a draw and we also have Chelsea to come too. We simply have to win Arsenal, pulling them back in to the scrap and hope City can do a job on United which would put us back where we where prior to the game with United in terms of points. With their following game being Chelsea and ours being Hull it'll put all the pressure back on them.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,654 posts | 482 
      Reply #903: Mar 25, 2015 05:03:04 am
      Not gonna deny that looking back at December and now,i would tend to stay optimistic that we will finish top 4.I think our players will be more hungry to get the 3 points at emirates.I wont be surprised if we turn up(which i think we will)and do a number on them.It would've been a mountain to climb if manc had a an easier run but not only they have tough matches but also a  head to head clash with Arse.So i think there is plenty of room to be Optimistic(still) with 8 games to go.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #904: Mar 25, 2015 07:03:54 am
      So this is how the Star Sports experts in Football Today have predicted, for the next 8 fixtures

Liverpool
      Arsenal(A) 0, Newcastle(H) 3, Hull(A) 1, West Brom(A) 3, QPR(H) 3, Chelsea(A) 1, Palace(H) 3, Stoke (A) 3 = 54+17 = 71 points

Scum
      Villa(H) 3, City(H) 1, Chelsea(A) 1, Everton(A) 1, West Brom(H) 3, Palace(A) 1, Arsenal(H) 1, Hull(A) 1 = 59+12 = 71 points

Scum still go through on GD.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #905: Mar 25, 2015 09:57:50 am
      So this is how the Star Sports experts in Football Today have predicted, for the next 8 fixtures

Liverpool
      Arsenal(A) 0, Newcastle(H) 3, Hull(A) 1, West Brom(A) 3, QPR(H) 3, Chelsea(A) 1, Palace(H) 3, Stoke (A) 3 = 54+17 = 71 points

Scum
      Villa(H) 3, City(H) 1, Chelsea(A) 1, Everton(A) 1, West Brom(H) 3, Palace(A) 1, Arsenal(H) 1, Hull(A) 1 = 59+12 = 71 points

Scum still go through on GD.

The words 'Star', 'Sports' and especially 'Experts' don't belong in the same sentence ;)
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,532 posts | 1772 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #906: Mar 25, 2015 10:49:13 am
      We can do it, mancs or arsenal will drop out, 1 of them will bottle it, and we will go unbeaten till end of season.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #907: Mar 25, 2015 10:59:58 am
      We can do it, mancs or arsenal will drop out, 1 of them will bottle it, and we will go unbeaten till end of season.

See, this is what I always thought.

The mancs didn't bottle it on Sunday though did they! We did!

It will be extremely tough to finish in the top 4 now. Not impossible, but very, very tough.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #908: Mar 25, 2015 04:42:27 pm
      we can if we beat Arsenal and win all our other games leading up to the rent boy game, but then we need UTD to get a draw and one,two defeats also in there when we win.

tough ask heart says yes we can keep the faith but head says no we will finish 5th. :f_wah:
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #909: Mar 26, 2015 01:03:53 am
      As others have said we need at least a draw against Arsenal. A win and we are back in pole position.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2819 
      Reply #910: Mar 26, 2015 12:57:26 pm
      As others have said we need at least a draw against Arsenal. A win and we are back in pole position.

Not sure how we'd be in pole position considering we'd still be 4 behind Arsenal (who have an easy run in) and 5 behind a United side who've suddenly started picking up points against big teams.

Know I'm sounding incredibly negative here but I don't really see us getting close after what happened on Sunday.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #911: Mar 26, 2015 01:10:05 pm
      Not sure how we'd be in pole position considering we'd still be 4 behind Arsenal (who have an easy run in) and 5 behind a United side who've suddenly started picking up points against big teams.

Know I'm sounding incredibly negative here but I don't really see us getting close after what happened on Sunday.

Agree.

Even a win against Arsenal doesn't put us right back into contention.

To think a week or so ago I was thinking about 2nd.
      storophanthus
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 308 posts | 16 
      Reply #912: Mar 28, 2015 02:36:05 am
      It took me five days not discussing about football since the last match.

I fear (I hope I'm wrong) that we have put away our chace to destroy MU.

MU is not playing well this season, but they have money.. that match was actually our best chance to put them down for years to come...

if they get their CL this season, their confident will grow, their financial will be better, and they will spend more next season (and more players would like come to there)

we must hammer them this season, to put away their resurrection, when they are not at their best, their management will be more strict to spend when they don't get CL this season, and hence distrub their resurrection.

Why do I care about that? Premier League now has 5 top teams... I can see Arsenal, City, and Chelsea will get a consistent spot on CL.
      I hope it doesn't mean that we are 5th contenders after this, and next and next (hell no :( )

I hope that the next era of football will not rely on the mega-budget team, but a tactical squad team with some stars like Brendan have/building.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #913: Mar 28, 2015 04:25:10 am

my basic understanding is that the money involved from next season onwards means that we simply can't afford not to make it.. making the europa league is a 'disaster' from the admin's point of view because you need a big good squad to go all the way there but the reward isn't worth it financially - only now with a CL spot on the line is there something substantial in it. if we don't make top four we'll do best to go all out with no european football to get right back in it, I can only hope another season of building will bring us to at least 15 solid first teamers which we've thought we've had going into the past couple seasons but really worked out we haven't. we are getting close though.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #914: Apr 04, 2015 03:13:25 pm
      Not now.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #915: Apr 04, 2015 03:14:10 pm

Unless Villa beats Utd......
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #916: Apr 04, 2015 03:21:20 pm

Not now for sure... more so because we are playing muck.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #917: Apr 04, 2015 03:26:08 pm

Even villa beat mu, dont think we can reach top 4!    >:(
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #918: Apr 04, 2015 03:30:45 pm
      No
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #919: Apr 04, 2015 03:37:43 pm
      Forget about it!

We fu**ed up in the transfer market last Summer and it has bitten us in the arse.

If we have another poor window this Summer we can forget about top 4 next season too.

Quick Reply