Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Tottenham v Liverpool - Match Thread

Read 11705 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Re: Tottenham v Liverpool - Match Thread
      Reply #184: Nov 01, 2008 08:11:05 pm
      If we get 26 points out of our next 11 games I'll be happy.

Hit Spurs at the wrong time.  Unfortunate not to get a point.  Aurelio didn't deserve to make way for Dossena after Pompey IMO.

As I pointed out before the game - maybe it was Carragher who could have done with a rest.  He's played more than any other of our players and I thought Hyypia was immense.

Some of the things Benitez does still baffles me, and playing with one striker against Spurs was WRONG.

Gerrard may well be an attacking player but he isn't a substitute for a striker.  I'd have preferred Kuyt up front and Babel on the wing for the game.

I look forward to Fernando's return - if only for a return to 4-4-2.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,716 posts | 162 
      Reply #185: Nov 01, 2008 08:11:54 pm
      The fact that we only have Yossi to bring on to save a game is a joke. At that stage of the game we need pace which Yossi has none of. We played some of the best football iv seen this season and we lose. Im absolutely gutted. This game should have been over at half time. We should have started with 2 up front, Keane and Babbel. Way too negative IMO.
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #186: Nov 01, 2008 08:13:56 pm
      The nervy end which eventually gave the game away to Spuds won't have happened had we killed the game off earlier, oh those host of chances!!!

Bloody Spud fans, were they booing Keane every time he gets the ball? For his little respect he has for the club by saying he won't celebrate if he scored, the fans don't deserve having the last laugh.

Which they won't, they'll pay for this.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,638 posts | 131 
      Reply #187: Nov 01, 2008 08:18:16 pm
      this result remember me on some words bob paisley had said:
      You win some you lose some.....
      so lets looking forward and keep fighting!
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #188: Nov 01, 2008 08:18:41 pm
      We was never going to go the whole season un-beaten - We are not good enough to do that.  Gutted we lost to Spurs.

Rafa gets the praise when we win and when we all say it's his tactics.  But, tonight he got it wrong.

We are top top of league and confident - fecking go for it !  We are playing the bottom side, whom were for the taking - don't hold back - you just knew that goal was going to happen.

We were unlucky - but we've had our luck this season - so we deserve to be punished!
      « Last Edit: Nov 01, 2008 08:36:50 pm by JD »
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,142 posts | 3383 
      Reply #189: Nov 01, 2008 08:22:27 pm
      Spurs were there for the taking but we had enough chances with one up front, it was F**k all to do with Benitez today. Tonight's result was because we didn't take the chances when they came.

If our number of chances was as many as we had against Villa then I can understand people bemoaning the fact we only had one up top, but when you have five, six maybe seven chances to win the match with one up front, the tactics aren't wrong. It's people's inability to finish.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #190: Nov 01, 2008 08:37:47 pm
      Rafa Benitez Post Match

"I can't believe we have lost this game. After playing well in the first half we started the second half with four clear chances. We hit the bar and Kuyt and Alonso had great chances that we didn't take.

"Always it's important to create chances but you have to score from them. We were going forward, controlling the game and were dominant.

"I am really disappointed but it was really bad luck because everybody could see we were better than them.

"We were talking on the bench saying we have to score the second goal to finish the match off. I made some changes and thought the pace of Babel could make a difference, but to concede the two goals is something that is difficult to explain.

"As a team we were really good but we need to take our chances. That makes the difference in a game like this.

"Everybody was really disappointed in the dressing room because we know we had the game in our hands, but sometimes in football you need luck. It was a game we easily could have won 4-0."

On a positive note the Reds boss revealed that Fernando Torres could be back in his squad for Tuesday's Champions League clash against his former club Atletico Madrid.

"Hopefully he will be ready. If he cannot start the game then he will be on the bench if everything is okay," he said.

"It's good we have another important game on Tuesday and the reaction of the players has to be to play well and win the game. We just have to keep going and keep playing the same way."

Why the F**k didn't we then.

And never mind Torres - more important that he's fit for West Brom than Atletico.
      5strs
      • Forum David Johnson

• 222 posts |
      Reply #191: Nov 01, 2008 08:39:55 pm
      Spurs second was like a dagger in the heart.It made me feel sick to the stomache.In fact,...F**k This! ...Am goin for a lie down.Am completely  and utterley distraught.  :sadlook:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #192: Nov 01, 2008 08:41:05 pm
      Spurs second was like a dagger in the heart.It made me feel sick to the stomache.In fact,...F**k This! ...Am goin for a lie down.Am completely  and utterley distraught.  :sadlook:

At least we now know how

- Standard Liege
      - Man Utd
      - Sunderland
      - Wigan
      - Man City

feel.

It's our own stupid fault for scoring first and scoring so early.  As if that strategy is ever going to pay off. I say we go back to letting the opposition score first again.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,142 posts | 3383 
      Reply #193: Nov 01, 2008 08:43:00 pm
      We didn't because Kuyt isn't a natural finisher, Alonso in the last three season's can't finish his tea never mind a chance and Gerrard did everything but score (he hit Riera, he hit King and hit the bar although the one that hit the bar should of went back to Keane in my opinion who was in a better position but it's too late for that)

As for Torres, agree wholeheartedly get him fit for West Brom before Athletico but we know that won't be the case. He'll start on Tuesday and be on the bench for the Baggies.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #194: Nov 01, 2008 08:43:12 pm
      ag
      Spurs were there for the taking but we had enough chances with one up front, it was F**k all to do with Benitez today. Tonight's result was because we didn't take the chances when they came.

If our number of chances was as many as we had against Villa then I can understand people bemoaning the fact we only had one up top, but when you have five, six maybe seven chances to win the match with one up front, the tactics aren't wrong. It's people's inability to finish.
      agree with these comments...exactly....ra fa got his tactics spot on as usual...... keane in my opinion should have shot at one point, he was almost clearly through, but he tried to feed somebody in who wasnt there, this is why rafa pulled him, he lacks a selfish goalscoring streak...he needs to take some chances....oh by the way we should have hit more longshots as their goaly was a joke
      « Last Edit: Nov 01, 2008 08:46:14 pm by robbyr »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #195: Nov 01, 2008 09:01:05 pm
      As for Torres, agree wholeheartedly get him fit for West Brom before Athletico but we know that won't be the case. He'll start on Tuesday and be on the bench for the Baggies.

He best F***ing not be.
      mmdalglish
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts | -2 
      benitez subs
      Reply #196: Nov 01, 2008 09:12:03 pm
      doe's anybody else think rafa made the wrong changes today?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: benitez subs
      Reply #197: Nov 01, 2008 09:14:34 pm
      No.

We win that game and his changes arent a thought in anyones head. Rafa had nothing do with that defeat. We were cruising and should have the game over by half time 
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,716 posts | 162 
      Reply #198: Nov 01, 2008 09:15:34 pm
      YES. Yossi shouldnt have come on. Keane shouldnt have come off. Babbel should have started.
      mmdalglish
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts | -2 
      Reply #199: Nov 01, 2008 09:18:56 pm
      YES. Yossi shouldnt have come on. Keane shouldnt have come off. Babbel should have started.
      thats what i thought that keane should have stayed on if anyone should have come of surely it was dossena
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #200: Nov 01, 2008 09:21:57 pm
      doe's anybody else think rafa made the wrong changes today?

Wasn't worthy of a new topic so merged in here.

I thought he took Keane off too early.  He still had 25 minutes to complete his record of scoring in every game against his old club.

Kuyt, especially after scoring, should have moved up front and Babel gone on the right.

El Zhar should have been thrown on too, but Benayoun appears to be one of Rafa's favourites.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #201: Nov 01, 2008 09:36:11 pm
      An example of the kind of morons we get posting comments (or attempting to) on Anfield Online.

If you ever wondered why posts get held in a moderation queue, here's why.

plums and pears
      tonyperos@yahoo.co.uk | 86.151.104.6

muhahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!! take it up the chocolate whizzway ya scouse phuqqaz!!!!!!!!!!! Tottenham 2……Dole queue 1,,,,,dont ferget ya phuqqin pens at the jobcentre ya thieving fukwits!!!!!!!! top 4!!!??? another reality check ya daft mongs!!!!!!!! Harry is da man!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Closely followed by

red or dead
      tonyperos@yahoo.co.uk | 86.151.104.6

got to agree with plums…….Liverpool really showed a lot of nerves. Couldnt believe the way we played!? i have never been a fan of Benitez and to LOSE to the BOTTOM team of the prem when we are going for the championship is completely heartbreaking! :( we are in tears here!! cannot believe it. What has Rednapp done ???? this is a title winning game and we lost!!:( benitez is obviosly not as tacticaly aware as Rednapp…….ftw! back to Espana forr the fat fuk! we need an english manager who knows the prem! and owners!

That's right some moron. Probably a Manc.

Replied to himself using a different username before the first post had been approved.

When you go on newspaper websites and see morons pretending to be Liverpool fans don't rise to the bait, because like this sad Chav/Bitter/Manc/Whatever they are so interested in Liverpool that they make up multiple personalities just to post on our websites and forums.

I'd imagine 99% of the people who love to jump on Benitez/Houllier's back on Radio 5 phone-ins and all the other sh*te newspapers sites are probably not Liverpool fans either.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #202: Nov 01, 2008 09:40:03 pm
      I cant blame Rafa for any of this mess. Since when did we start passing the ball half-heartedly? We pass the ball like the ball is obligated to get to its destination without us playing it accurately and strongly. Like the ball will be like, "Oh! I just got touched lightly by Kuyt's boot, let me hurry up to Gerrard's boots so he can take that shot!" To many incomplete passes that rubbed us of good finishing.

Rafa is not to blame.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,716 posts | 162 
      Reply #203: Nov 01, 2008 09:45:45 pm
      What is wrong with finishing with the 11 you start with. Maybe change the formation a bit. Why does he insist on bringing Yossi on at important times in the game. He did the same against Athletico. Yossi is a Carling cup player at best. As you say JD, El Zhar or Pennant would be a better option.
      bedsred
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 144 posts |
      • That's nice, that's McDermott and that's a goal
      Reply #204: Nov 01, 2008 09:55:32 pm
      Can't believe we lost that after the first 60 mins in which we dominated, but 1 loss is not the end of the world. lets get serious here were never going to run away with it. if (and when we do win it) it will always be tight. Get behind the lads and on to the next game hopefully with Nando up front YNWA
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #205: Nov 01, 2008 10:04:32 pm
      Rafael Benitez admitted he could not hide his disappointment after watching Liverpool slump to their first defeat of the season at Spurs. 
      The Reds had looked on course to retain their place at the top of the Barclays Premier League when Dirk Kuyt fired them in front after just three minutes.

However, the visitors could not add to their lead despite dominating the remainder of the match, and after late goals from Jamie Carragher (og) and substitute Roman Pavlyuchenko gave Spurs a a 2-1 win, the Reds boss conceded they were finding the loss difficult to take.

"I can't believe we have lost this game," said Benitez. "After playing well in the first half we started the second half with four clear chances. We hit the bar and Kuyt and Alonso had great chances that we didn't take.

"Always it's important to create chances but you have to score from them. We were going forward, controlling the game and were dominant.

"I am really disappointed but it was really bad luck because everybody could see we were better than them.

"We were talking on the bench saying we have to score the second goal to finish the match off. I made some changes and thought the pace of Babel could make a difference, but to concede the two goals is something that is difficult to explain.

"As a team we were really good but we need to take our chances. That makes the difference in a game like this.

"Everybody was really disappointed in the dressing room because we know we had the game in our hands, but sometimes in football you need luck. It was a game we easily could have won 4-0."

"It's good we have another important game on Tuesday and the reaction of the players has to be to play well and win the game. We just have to keep going and keep playing the same way." 

Link
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,711 posts | 896 
      Reply #206: Nov 01, 2008 10:17:32 pm
      it was heart breakin for me aswell, believe me. i came here to whine but read some of the comments here, some uplifting and some not.
      Spurs game is past now, what do matter now is that how the reds rise up from it. We cant win them all. we should back our players and our manager. its not the end of the world.

Quick Reply