Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

Liverpool v West Brom Match Thread

Read 22616 times
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Re: Liverpool v West Brom Match Thread
      Reply #138: Nov 08, 2008 08:22:08 pm
      Just got back from watching the match, 3-0 what a result Keane off the mark in the premiership ! and I don't know about anyone else but guess who predicted 3-0 then ?  :f_tongueincheek:
      off to view the prediction league table now !
      « Last Edit: Nov 08, 2008 10:20:08 pm by Venison 86 »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #139: Nov 08, 2008 08:59:48 pm
      We made West Brom look better than they are and we were far from great,

but 3 goals.  Keane received two terrific passes for his goals and they were easy to put away.

Kuyt played where Gerrard usually plays in the 4-5-1.  Disappointed we didn't go 4-4-2 today.

Gerrard was poor in central midfield. We looked much better when Alonso joined the superb Mascherano there.  Who else - Riera had an average game, Yossi was a bit anonymous.

Nothing exceptional but great to see Torres back.  He's different class that fella and skipped past their defence on a couple of times in his 20 minute run out.

Well in to the lads, lasses and kids at the back of the Kop who even put the RTK block to shame.  The rest of the ground, atmosphere wise, and the front of the Kop looked in poor form - but the Anny Road upper tier looked like it had some good moments.

Top of the league.  Sound. Let's hope Blackburn do us a favour.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #140: Nov 08, 2008 09:12:04 pm
      my ratings

reina......7              nothing to do, saw him smoking a B and H just before half time, also he had a can of bud he was that bored
      arbeloa....... 7.5        one of his best matches for a while, still his crosses are well weighted but not too acurate
      carragher     7        solid
      agger          7        played well
      fabio           7        great assist for robbie keane
      benny         7.5     some good runs, was useful on the right as he is tricky and has a bit of acceleration
      gerrard       6.5     quiet match...this lad needs a night off, good through ball for keanes first though
      mascharano    8.5    some brilliant tackles, always there when you need him MOM
      riera             6.5    gone off the boil a bit of late, seems to not listen to his team mates now and again...i like him though
      kuyt            6     didnt see too much of the ball
      keane          8      early miss but well made up for it, showing promise of late

for the nut job who gave me - feedback last time for making a list get a life you div....bet you leave negs on ebay for bad packaging tosser

overall a delightful day at anfield........ wba can easily finish mid table and it was refreshing to see a team come to anfield not just to draw or with loads a men behind the ball.
      LFC march onward towards that golden challece, oh also the mancs lost again, all signs bode well
      « Last Edit: Nov 09, 2008 12:18:36 am by robbyr »
      MsGerrard
      Reply #141: Nov 08, 2008 09:29:33 pm
      I was made up to see Robbie get a couple of goals, I bet he was a bit pissed off though when Rafa brought him off.  I'd have thought he'd have taken Kuyt off and had Robbie and Nando playing up front together.

Never mind, we won and that's all that matters at the end of the day, the three points, and top of the table again, let's all hope Blackburn do us a favour and smash chelski, who will still be down in the dumps from their defeat to Roma in midweek.....he he he

I was also made up to see Arbeloa score, all the lads should have jumped on him.........see how he likes it  :lmao:

A very well taken goal, and gave me 5 points in the prediction league, thankyou Alvaro.

Well in lads, just keep it going.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #142: Nov 08, 2008 09:36:12 pm
      The minutes silence was absolutely impeccably observered. As you would expect.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #143: Nov 08, 2008 10:25:29 pm
      http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/football/Benitez-explains-Why-I-took.4675249.jp

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has explained why he denied Robbie Keane the chance to claim a hat-trick after taking him off in the 3-0 win over West Brom.
      The £20m striker finally got off the mark in the league for Liverpool with two first-half goals that sent West Brom to defeat at Anfield and the Merseysiders back to the top of the table.

But Keane was taken off before Alvaro Arbeloa added the third to secure a 3-0 victory.

Benitez said: "We needed to get Fernando Torres into the game, we needed his pace to complete the victory and maybe get the third.

"Fernando is not match fit, but we needed to get him into the action.

"We had some tired players out there, Robbie was trying hard but Fernando was important to us in the final stages."

It was Torres' first game after missing six matches with a hamstring injury, but it was Keane's contribution that pleased Benitez.

The Reds boss said: "I have always wanted to support Robbie, he has been playing and contributing to our victories.

"I have had no doubts that he would start to score regularly for us.

"Robbie has told me he has got a monkey off his back, not an expression I had heard before but I understand what he meant.

"Robbie has game intelligence and he is always a threat to defenders. It was only a matter of time before he scored in the league.

"He is quick and can punish any mistakes that defenders make, and that is what he did."
      ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ________________

I think Kuyt should have been subbed instead; but Rafa knows best.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #144: Nov 08, 2008 11:20:19 pm
      well we wont be on match of the day for long so good job i watched the game seeing as the mancs have been on for 20mins and still on going
      MsGerrard
      Reply #145: Nov 09, 2008 12:29:44 am
      well we wont be on match of the day for long so good job I watched the game seeing as the mancs have been on for 20mins and still on going

I think we managed about 5 mins on MOTD didn't we    ???   ::)
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 166 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #146: Nov 09, 2008 12:53:56 am
      3 points in the bag. Whether we won it convincingly or struggling is important but not that important as long as we got the 3 points. Ha, ha.

We r also leading the table now waiting for the Cheskies game. A game won is better that any number of games in hand. We sit & wait for that result now.

Well done lads. Keep on chiping away towards our goal, 19, 19,.......
      ricohman
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 39 posts |
      Reply #147: Nov 09, 2008 10:00:22 am
      3 great goals, Keane scored, Manure lost, what a great weekend
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #148: Nov 09, 2008 10:11:54 am
       Apart from the 3 points ,which are the most important.at last we saw R.Keane coming to his best=enjoying his game with a very good performance
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,893 posts | 6822 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #149: Nov 09, 2008 11:20:54 am
      3 goals, another 3 points, a clean sheet and the Mancs lost what a wonderful Saturday that was ;D

I too, like a few others was gutted when Rafa took Keane off...should have taken Benni off, Kuyt to right wing and put Fernando up front with Robbie.

So happy for Robbie that he got a brace, should have been 4 but they will come.

Robbyr said Gerrard needs a rest, I agree...give the man a break he looked jaded...was really getting frustrated with his passes but the one for Robbie to score his first was sublime.

Masch was absolutely top class...love the dude.

Crouchinho, if Robbie had put away those 2 other goals and we had got that stone wall penalty, you would have predicted the right scoreline ;D

king-nando
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 148 posts |
      Reply #150: Nov 09, 2008 11:28:58 am
      Great effort by the lads, puts pressure on chelsea. hopefully another robbie (god) can get his first league goals in that game
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #151: Nov 09, 2008 11:33:15 am

I think we managed about 5 mins on MOTD didn't we    ???   ::)
      Has anyone noticed that We are not on the opening pre-recorded credits?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #152: Nov 09, 2008 12:38:03 pm
      Who cares? We will be next year.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #153: Nov 09, 2008 12:41:25 pm

Wouldn't care less if they never put us to be honest. The inattention from the media doesn't bother me one bit, if anything it takes pressure off us as they don't consider us contenders.
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #154: Nov 09, 2008 12:42:48 pm

When it comes to media coverage, less is most definitely more!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #155: Nov 09, 2008 12:51:45 pm
      It's superb being top and having virtually no pressure put on us by the media.

Wonder how long they will employ that strategy for?
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #156: Nov 09, 2008 01:00:52 pm

Let therm (media) say what they want .whatever they say they can't take any points away from our Table ,so F_ck them
      LauraMc
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 109 posts |
      Reply #157: Nov 09, 2008 03:31:20 pm
      Arby couldn't do his usual 'Jump all over everyone' celebration yestrday! :D
      MsGerrard
      Reply #158: Nov 09, 2008 04:31:40 pm
      I was just thinking..............Ro bbie Keane is like a bus  ???

Nothing for ages, and then two come at once  ;D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #159: Nov 09, 2008 04:37:18 pm
      Arby couldn't do his usual 'Jump all over everyone' celebration yestrday! :D

If he carries on scoring goals like that, I'll be more than happy to see his goal celebrations converted.  ;) What a beauty!

Can't say more than what's already been said. Not an explosive performance but a very valuable three points. I knew the chavs would beat Blackburn today.

Knew Keane would get off the mark sooner or later, so was glad to see him rid the infamous monkey off his back. Torres came on and it wasn't long after he was sprinting past a player with the ball - was very glad to see that.

The back of the Kop was on very good form yesterday - it's really not that hard for people everywhere else to join in. There really should be a message out there telling people that you're there to support. People shouldn't need telling, but unfortunately that's the way it seems these days.
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #160: Nov 10, 2008 06:54:28 am
      The Kop was in fine voice you could hear them even over the commentators it sounded fantastic!!!
      Happy with the result really happy for Keane.

Quick Reply