Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Have Arsenal lost their top 4 status to Villa?

Read 10758 times
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: Have Arsenal lost their top 4 status to Villa?
      Reply #23: Dec 22, 2008 04:22:57 pm
      They now haven't really got any creative players in centre midfield, maybe Denilson, but he isn't half the player Cesc is.
      cheerrs
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts | -7 
      Reply #24: Dec 22, 2008 04:34:42 pm
      Surely you gest.  Nasri is more creative than any of LFC mids.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #25: Dec 22, 2008 04:58:53 pm
      Surely you gest.  Nasri is more creative than any of LFC mids.

Yeah if you say so. So Gerrard has no creativity about him whatsoever? Or Alonso?

They're both more creative than Nasri.
      cheerrs
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts | -7 
      Reply #26: Dec 22, 2008 07:40:38 pm
      Yeah if you say so. So Gerrard has no creativity about him whatsoever? Or Alonso?

They're both more creative than Nasri.
      Gerrard yes, Alonso no.
      red kop
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 179 posts | -8 
      Reply #27: Dec 22, 2008 08:06:42 pm
      What we actually need is the die hard spirit of arsenal . our players need to play till death do us part .we got the players its just that every now and then they need a wake up call. maybe through the second half or every 15 minutes rafa should get himself a loudspeaker, and lift the team spirit up reminding the players of no 19.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #28: Dec 23, 2008 12:50:05 am

Benayoun is also very creative.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #29: Dec 23, 2008 12:58:20 am
      I dont think that Arsenal have lost their top 4 status to Villa yet because in order for them to do that I believe that Villa would have to get in the Champions League for a couple of times in a row. I think tht because people could say that we lost our top 4 status to Everton the year in which they came 4th but in the next season we finished a long way ahead of them which goes to show that the chances are it was just by fluke that they got 4th. Arsenal always finish in the top 4 so just because they miss out on it one season does'nt mean they have lost their status IMO.

However, I believe that Villa do have the quality to claim top 4 stauts providing they keep Arsenal out of the top 4 for the next few seasons.

For Example, Spurs came close to keeping Arsenal out of the top 4 on 2 consecutive seasons but were pipped to it by Arsenal at the last minute in each of them. Now look at Spurs, they are way down the table and for al we know that could happen to Villa in a few seasons so thats why i think it's too early to call them part of the top 4.

(if that makes sense :D)
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,132 posts | 456 
      Reply #30: Dec 23, 2008 03:47:58 am
      KK7, I agree with you, but things aren't rosey for the Arsenal as the stinking rich Arabs will probably have a say in the coming seasons.  Villa are there at the moment, but I do think at the end of the day over the next few seasons Man City will claim one of them spots as money will have a big say.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #31: Dec 23, 2008 08:45:12 am
      In my opinion, Keane, Stevie, Xabi and Benayoun are creative players.
      themainsauce
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts | -1 
      Reply #32: Dec 23, 2008 11:26:19 am
      Morning all.

May I please add my two cent's worth?

Arsenal are struggling.  Of that there is no doubt.  Personally I think we've got the weakest squad we've had in years.  And it pisses me off that AW keeps spewing out that these boys will come good.  But he ain't exactly gonna say otherwise and say they're not good enough, is he?  Name me a manager that will.
      Yeah, Aston Villa are 3rd atm, but they have to be able to put a run  of 6,7,8 wins together to get the consistency.  I believe we'll pip them at the end of the season.  But it might be close.
      As for Scouse getting Cesc and TW, you've got more chance of poaching a Toffee boy. 
      Oh yeah, silly me you've already done that when you got Steeeeeevie G....

Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #33: Dec 23, 2008 01:08:16 pm
      I did say in an earlier post that Arsenal will come good and finish in the top 4 because Wenger has the premiership experience to do so. I expect him to purchase a few players now in January that will boost his chances of doing some. What I am tired off though is the whiny Frenchmans persistance to tell us all that he's baby gunners are capable of winning big trophies. On top of that my gooner friend Fabregas your best ever "youth" product plied his trade at Barcelona not like Wenger drove to some F***ing remote village in Iruna and picked up a village kid and turned him into a Fabregas. He purchased an allready quality youngster, just like he did in Walctott and Ramsay for over 15 million each, that is the latter 2.

Secondly how many of these so called youngsters Fabregas and Flamini aside have turned into world beat players?? I do recall a certain Jermaine Pennant being purchased by AW for a sh*t load when he was a young lad and look at what he did at Arsenal umm F**k all. Go back to the last time you guys won the title or that year you had your 49 game unbeaten run. You had possibly the world 11 in your side, the back bone of the French WC and Euro winning team plus Bergkamp an WC winner in Edu to name a few. How many of these players were so called products of your youth system??? I am just fed up with hearing this Arsenal youth, baby gunners and sh*t like that AW will have to admit his stubborness this winter and throw that out the window by purchasing a few experienced players.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,451 posts | 8658 
      Reply #34: Dec 23, 2008 01:31:09 pm
      Losing fabregas for four months is going to be big blow for Arsene!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #35: Dec 23, 2008 01:36:24 pm
      Arsenal's current team are not products of their own academy. Fabregas from Barcelona, Walcott from Southampton, Nasri from Marseille and Ramsey from Cardiff City. Those were brought in from outside. Only the players like Jack Wilshere, Jay Simpson are products and they don't play in the premier league or champions league.

And if you think about it, Arsenal's team are not all that young. You can say their midfielders are young(Cesc, Samir , Denilson and Theo) but their defenders and goal keepers aren't really young. Adebayor and Van Persie are around Torres' age. The defenders are around almost mid twenties and some over thirties. Well, Isn't Agger, Insua and Arbeloa around there too?

So , their thing about young team shouldn't be a reason anymore.
      themainsauce
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts | -1 
      Reply #36: Dec 23, 2008 02:31:16 pm
      Wow! When did this turn into a thread about our young players and youth academy? I'm quite sure i never alluded to that.
      (I could mention Wilshere, Troare, Gibbs, Hoyte, Randall and Simpson as academy players who are coming through, but that's just me being petty.) 
      Thought the question was "Have Arsenal lost their top 4 status?"

As said, it'll be tough especially with Cesc out for 4 months but we'll just have to deal with it.  No-one knows whether AW will spend (which he's not really given to) or stick with this lot?
      My guess is he'll bring in either a CB or DM to try and bolster what we have and keep Vanilla out of 4th place.

And as Ad said we aren't the youngest squad in the Prem, Boro I think hold that accolade.  But the problem is we don't have enough proven winners in the squad.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #37: Dec 23, 2008 02:49:23 pm
      No it didnt mate but look at the main points in my post and it is a valid reason why Arsenal is strugglig. Wenger miscalculated the ability of his youngsters and put his pride and stubborness ahead of overall benefit for the club. He sold 2 of his best players from last season in Hleb and Flamini thinking his young lads had the bottle to take the team somewhere this year. Now with Cesc out for so long you dont have the depth to compete with Villa at present lucky for you the transfer market is around the corner.

I went in to the whole youth debate because in the thread "Have Arsenal lost their top 4 status to Villa" you decided to dwelve on us stealing Gerrard from Everton. You should really not be a gobs***e and spend some time on informing your self on that before mouthing off.
      themainsauce
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts | -1 
      Reply #38: Dec 23, 2008 03:03:43 pm
      Now, now, Dado if you bother to read the previous page(s) someone decided to say Scouse should take Cesc & Theo.  I was just making the point that your lot are good at poaching the young e.g. Steeeeevie G.
      Twas not I who started the thing about our young players.
      It was just a reminder to those of you who might've forgotten.
      Maybe you should remind some of your guys to stick to the topic.  Only a suggestion, mind...

But you're right, AW didn't replace Flamoney or Gilberto.  In fact it could be argued he never replaced PV4, nor do we have a no-nonsence CB.  That is the bigger travesty amongst us Gunners.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #39: Dec 23, 2008 03:11:41 pm
      My my lad are all you gooners like this... I thought i had a little bit  more time for you fellas then Scum, Chelsea and the blue sh*te but that ridicolous crooning and booing on the weekend toppled with your comments is fast making me change my mind. Your booing of Eboue was a class act by the way watching him walk off sobbing gave me goose bumps i really felt sorry for the lad where are your souls going to go??

Poaching we did not poach Gerrard from anybody as I said look it up and even if we did poach someone from somewhere we didnt do it with bags of money. Eg Fabregas, Walcot, Ramsay, Pennant.

I do agree though your defence does look frail compared to last year Toure was arguably the best CB in the league prior to the African cup ever since then he is gone sh*t house. Clichy is a shadow of himself I am still puzzled though why play a slow djorou and leave an experience Sylvestre on the bench??
      themainsauce
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts | -1 
      Reply #40: Dec 23, 2008 03:28:33 pm
      Dado, when we poach we do it for pittance, and we'd never poach from Tottscum! ;)

As for our defence you're spot on, Kolo is a shadow of himself, Clichy keeps making rickets but he's one of the best LBs in the world and i'm sure you'd swap him for Dossena if hell ever froze over!
      Tweety (Silvestre) is an embarressment and I don't know what AW was doing when he signed him.   :f_doh:
      As for the "supporters" booing Eboue it was a fickn disgrace :mad:  It's symptomatic of what happens when you move to a new stadium and iincrease ticket prices which marginalise the real supporters and allow the hooray Henry's and Hugo's to come in.
      There's alot of "new fans" going to games these days.  The one's who cannot and do not know what patience is.  That lot don't encourage the team when they need geeing up but are quick to ostracise a player who came back from 5 weeks out, and was asked to play in an unfamiliar position.
      My older cousin made a point that we went 18 years without a league title between 71-89, and I really wouldn't mind if we went a few more without so we can weed out the fairweather/transient/gloryhunters who've infested our club.  And there are many proper supporters who think the same. :mad: :mad:

Rant over.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #41: Dec 23, 2008 03:34:20 pm
      Heh never from Tottscum ey!

Certain Sol Campbell spring to mind at all??? :lmao:

Anyways lad on the supporters point you make an interesting one we seem to have the same problem with ticket prices pushing out the true fans!

Anyways my bickering is done for the evening im off to bed
      themainsauce
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts | -1 
      Reply #42: Dec 23, 2008 03:39:09 pm
      Erm, we never poached Sol, he came to us when his contract finished.

Beware the fairweather fan!

Later Dado.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,451 posts | 8658 
      Reply #43: Dec 23, 2008 04:10:47 pm
      Sorry Mainsauce just read your top post about Gerrard,

are you fully aware of that story, read his autobiography at all! No don't think you have, Steven is a red always has been, he wasn't poached from Everton as a youngster - if that is what you are trying to insinuate.

That photo above is because one of his family members (who's a blue) entered him into a competition, he won and had his photo taken (as shown above) read about his thoughts of what his dad would do to him if he would of found out at the time, again available in his autobiography.

Plus unlike your lot and the spurs fans, around 87/88 we had boss Derby day atmospheres, much better than now, and we actually got on as supporters on both sides, again unlike now.

As for the "supporters" booing Eboue it was a fickn disgrace :mad:  It's symptomatic of what happens when you move to a new stadium and iincrease ticket prices which marginalise the real supporters and allow the hooray Henry's and Hugo's to come in.
      There's alot of "new fans" going to games these days.  The one's who cannot and do not know what patience is.  That lot don't encourage the team when they need geeing up but are quick to ostracise a player who came back from 5 weeks out, and was asked to play in an unfamiliar position.

Their called the sky generation and Andy Gray is their Leader!
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #44: Dec 23, 2008 04:22:09 pm
      Dado, when we poach we do it for pittance

Jermaine Pennant?

Wiki quote "Pennant was signed at the age of 15 by Arsenal from Notts County for £2 million, a record fee for a trainee at the time".

Theo Walcott?

Another Wiki quote "Ultimately Walcott signed for Arsenal in January 2006 for an initial fee of £5m rising to a possible £12m[8] based on appearances for club and country, making him the most expensive 16 year old in the history of British football".

Pittance?  I don't think so.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #45: Dec 23, 2008 04:32:32 pm
      What a sad day for football this is, you expect your club to come back when they know that if they make a mistake, and who in this world hasnt made a bad one, they will get that treatment. For that performance, i hope Arsenal fail to make it into Europe let alone lose their top 4 spot. Pittiful. I'm not blaming you personally but your so called fans.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=L0Ntn6moW1s

Quick Reply