Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Smicer a doubt for Bordeaux

Read 1219 times
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Oct 17, 2006 01:39:26 pm
      Topic locked - keep it in the Bordeaux game thread http://www.lfcreds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1144

The Bordeaux midfielder scored the Reds' second goal against AC Milan 17 months ago before converting the vital third penalty in the shoot-out.

It turned out to be his last game for the club and the 33-year-old has now revealed he did it all for the fans.

“When Rafa asked me if I wanted to take a penalty I said yes straight away,” said Smicer.

“I wanted the responsibility and the chance to show that I was a good player after all.

“I can remember going up for my penalty, taking the ball and feeling really, really confident. At that moment, I wasn’t thinking about it being my final kick for the club.

“I just wanted to make sure I gave Liverpool, and the fans, something back.

“I still think about it a lot. It was the biggest moment of my career and to finish with a goal, a penalty and the trophy gave me a lot of pleasure.”

A hamstring injury means Smicer is unlikely to face his former teammates tomorrow night, but he does plan to show his face at the team hotel at some stage.

“When the draw was made I couldn’t believe it. I am so disappointed not to be playing, but maybe I will be fit to play at Anfield.”

Let's all hope he's fit for the return leg - I for one will give him a standing ovation. It must have taken some guts to step up for that penalty, and to see him score and then kiss his badge still gives me goosebumps.
      Top man Vlady !!!!
      scallyon
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #1: Oct 17, 2006 02:13:22 pm
      To true  mr tommo  I hope  he makes the return at anfield

and gets a fantastic reception  thanks for istanbul vlad.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #2: Oct 17, 2006 04:59:23 pm
      I never doubted him for a second.
      Top bloke.
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #3: Oct 17, 2006 06:37:22 pm
      Vladi................... ........................ ..He saved his best 'till last  ;)

Quick Reply