Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Premier League Fans Considering Cancelling Season Tickets

Read 3290 times
      themainsauce
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith
      • Started Topic

• 59 posts | -1 
      Premier League Fans Considering Cancelling Season Tickets
      Jan 22, 2009 04:28:14 pm
      Dunno what you floks think about this but, I cancelled my ST last year cos it was too expensive.  Arsenal's is the most expensive in the Prem, but I know a few rival fans who ain't gonna renew their ST's for next season.
      What do y'all think?
      (Ps. if there's already a thread about this feel free to merge)

One in four Premier League and Football League season ticket holders are considering cancelling their season tickets according the latest edition of Virgin Money's Football Fans' Inflation Index.

The latest findings from Virgin's authoritative Football Fans' Inflation Index, which has tracked match day costs since January 2006, show that nearly one in four season ticket holders are considering cancelling their tickets and one in 10 are planning to share the cost with friends in the clearest sign yet that recession fears are biting football.

Find your club 
       Arsenal
       Aston Villa
       Blackburn R
       Bolton W
       Chelsea
       Everton
       Fulham
       Hull City
       Liverpool
       Man City
       Man Utd
       Middlesbrough
       Newcastle Utd
       Portsmouth
       Stoke City
       Sunderland
       Tottenham H
       West Brom
       West Ham
       Wigan 

More news 
       Premier League
       Championship
       League 1
       League 2
       Scottish Premier 

Watch highlights 
       Premier League
       Championship
       League 1
       League 2 

Get statistics 
       League tables
       Fixtures/results
       Live scores 

Virgin Money's Football Fans' Inflation Index shows the cost of a match day for an individual is currently at £95.60 - 22.6 per cent higher than the level at launch three years ago (although lower than in September 2008 when the last figures were released).

The latest survey found 24 per cent of season ticket holders are considering cancelling with 3 per cent thinking about giving up going to all games while 21 per cent are considering cancelling and buying tickets when it suits. Nine per cent of season ticket holders are considering sharing the cost of a season ticket with friends and family in order to save cash.

The research was conducted among 3,887 Premier League and Football League fans and shows that while the cost squeeze is hitting all levels of the game but the pain is particularly acute in the Premiership. Clubs most at risk, according to the research, include West Ham United, Blackburn and Newcastle United where as many as 37 per cent of season ticket holders are having second thoughts about renewing. Even fans of Premier League and European champions Manchester United are feeling the pinch with 36 per cent considering giving up season tickets.

Virgin Money's Grant Bather said: "The recession is starting to bite football as fans count the cost of following the game. The game has been lucky so far but it looks like the winning run is over and the crunch is on the way.

"Football fans are legendarily loyal but when people are worried about losing their jobs something has to give and spending on season tickets is going to bear the brunt as supporters look to save money.

"No sector of the economy is immune from the downturn and clubs will have to start thinking about ways to make it easier for fans. To be fair there are signs that some clubs are responding but more needs to be done."

Malcolm Clarke, Chairman of the Football Supporters Federation, commented: "Over the last 15 years football inflation has consistently exceeded ordinary inflation and the industry may well now pay the price for its short-sightedness in allowing that to happen.

"At the end of the day watching football is a leisure activity and it would be very surprising if it was immune from the sharp effects of the recession, particularly at the top end of the game where prices are so high.

PERCENTAGE OF PREMIER LEAGUE CLUB FANS CONSIDERING CANCELLING SEASON TICKETS

West Ham 37%
      Blackburn 37%
      Newcastle 37%
      Man Utd 36%
      Tottenham 34%
      Portsmouth 31%
      Bolton 31%
      Man City 31%
      Everton 27%
      Liverpool 26%
      Aston Villa 26%
      Chelsea 26%
      Arsenal 24%
      Middlesbrough 24%
      Fulham 22%
      Hull 20%
      Stoke City 18%
      Sunderland 18%
      West Brom 18%
      Wigan 14%

Virgin Money's Football Fans' Price Index shows that in the past three years the cost of attending games has risen by 22.6 per cent. At the launch of the index in January 2006, the match day basket of goods** cost £77.95 compared with £95.20 now. Costs have though fallen in the past three months with the price of petrol, replica shirts and average match tickets dropping.

The Virgin Money's Football Fans' Prices Index runs every three months and looks at the cost of a typical basket of goods monitoring the ups and downs of prices. The firm's research team examines the cost of items such as a gallon of petrol; match tickets; food, alcohol, train tickets and replica shirts.

http://www.football.virginmedia.com/page/Football/Headlines/0,,12555~1522433,00.html
      « Last Edit: Jan 22, 2009 05:02:08 pm by Venison 86, Reason: colour edited back to black »
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Re: Premier League Fans Considering Cancelling Season Tickets
      Reply #1: Jan 22, 2009 05:17:02 pm
      I can not speak for a lot of clubs but I cant see it myself at Liverpool, when it comes down to it who really is going to give up their season ticket knowing it could be 10 years+ before they get another chance

I know the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea charge a small fortune but ours are 650 to 700 and most people would sell their Granny first, I could however see a lot more people sharing them and you could always find someone willing to take it on for a season.

So if anyone is thinking of packing theirs in, sadly I don't have a Gran left to sell but I have 2 Kids and I could probably make do with just the one ;)

I do believe a lot might opt away from cup matches and I think this is already happening. I was surprised to see Sundays game against Everton going on sale to Fancard holders with no previous games recorded
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2: Jan 23, 2009 01:25:24 am
      Dont think it will happen with Liverpool given the lenghty waiting list personally it is one of the few posessions I would fight tooth and nail to maintain.

How much are the Arsenal season tickets anyway??
      themainsauce
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith
      • Started Topic

• 59 posts | -1 
      Reply #3: Jan 23, 2009 01:51:54 pm
      Dont think it will happen with Liverpool given the lenghty waiting list personally it is one of the few posessions I would fight tooth and nail to maintain.

How much are the Arsenal season tickets anyway??

Well, it would've cost me about £925.  It was £885 last season.  And I found that hard to justify cos of work committments.
      I know a few guys that are talking of ST sharing next season but, you have to be be proper tight knit mates for that.
      My brother told me LFC ST's were way cheaper than ours.
      S'pose that's what you get with greedy moneygrabbing board members...
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #4: Jan 23, 2009 03:17:25 pm
      Well, it would've cost me about £925.  It was £885 last season.  And I found that hard to justify cos of work committments.
      I know a few guys that are talking of ST sharing next season but, you have to be be proper tight knit mates for that.
      My brother told me LFC ST's were way cheaper than ours.
      S'pose that's what you get with greedy moneygrabbing board members...

Wait to see how much ours go up, when the new stadium goes up
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #5: Jan 23, 2009 03:58:00 pm
      26% of Liverpool fans considering giving up their season ticket?

Never heard so much nonsense in all my life.

0.26% maybe.
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #6: Jan 23, 2009 05:15:36 pm

0.26% maybe.

That's a bit more like it.  Maybe if a few did return their STs I might move up the list.  I'm currently on the waiting list for a father/son package - must be numbers 49,000 and 49,001 I reckon.   :f_wah:
      themainsauce
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith
      • Started Topic

• 59 posts | -1 
      Reply #7: Jan 24, 2009 05:20:36 pm

0.26% maybe.

How many ST holders does your club have?  Surely not all of them get to games? I don't know what the criteria was for this survey, but my guess is that some peeps will be affected by the recession (can I say that yet??). Especially those with family and financial commitments.
      themainsauce
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith
      • Started Topic

• 59 posts | -1 
      Reply #8: Jan 24, 2009 05:25:49 pm
      then again I spose we must remember the keyword is 'considering'.  Doesn't mean they've decided.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #9: Jan 24, 2009 05:35:49 pm
      I think it's about 26-28,000.

I don't know what that survey was based on, but with a 10 year waiting list for Liverpool tickets and all the benefits granted by being a ST holder I can categorically state that the survey is nonsense (at least from a reds point of view).
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #10: Jan 26, 2009 04:25:31 pm
      A bit off topic, but what effect would it have if the season ticket was abandoned, and people would just have to scramble to get a ticket for the game?
      People would bother supporting wouldn't they? And the club would get more money because 19 x a ticket is more than a season ticket for the same stand, isn't it?

Still, If I had a season ticket, I wouldn't give it up.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #11: Jan 26, 2009 07:12:09 pm
      If anyone of here is one of the supposed 26% willing to give up their season ticket...  Please email me first!

26%... What a load of bull
      lfc 4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | -11 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #12: Jan 26, 2009 10:31:56 pm
      Probaly right see about 26% of fans leaving anfield earily maybe its them.   :f_tongueincheek:
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #13: Jan 30, 2009 03:26:46 am
      Sorry for being a blur king here, but living in the other part of the world I have absolutely no idea what a fancard and season ticket holder is. If im not wrong, buying a season ticket gets to access to all home games, no? And for me this sounds really stupid, because it really does not look as though it gives ppl like me from another part of the world to get the anfield experience.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,451 posts | 8656 
      Reply #14: Jan 30, 2009 01:49:57 pm
      Sorry for being a blur king here, but living in the other part of the world I have absolutely no idea what a fancard and season ticket holder is. If im not wrong, buying a season ticket gets to access to all home games, no? And for me this sounds really stupid, because it really does not look as though it gives ppl like me from another part of the world to get the anfield experience.

The club have had Season tickets for nigh on 30 years. But in answer to your question above what about supporters who have supported this team home/away everywhere, surely the club needs to retain some level of local support.

Quick Reply