Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

Stop criticising Dirk

Read 8689 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Re: Stop criticising Dirk
      Reply #23: Jan 26, 2009 12:55:01 am
      People criticising Liverpool players at Anfield is unacceptable. These people need to be weeded out of the club.

Pass-and-move
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts | -7 
      Reply #24: Jan 26, 2009 02:10:10 am
      Blaming Kuyt or having a go at the lad at Anfield is pointless. He is playing, with all his infinite limitations, because the manager picks him to play. What is he meant to do, refuse to play because he accepts he's not up to the job?

It was the same when Benitez or Houllier picked Djimi Traore. People savaged poor Traore for his performances. But the lad should never have been out on a pitch for Liverpool, he wasn't good enough for that level. Neither IMO is Kuyt or Lucas or Dossena or Keane. But it comes down to whoever is in charge picking these clearly limited players.  Kuyt wouldn't hold down a 1st team spot in any championship winning team. He is far too limited in what he offers. But as long as he plays and tries his best he should not be booed because he has no option but to play if he's picked.
      crouchysrobot
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 311 posts |
      Reply #25: Jan 26, 2009 02:38:39 am
      Kuyt wouldn't hold down a 1st team spot in any championship winning team. He is far too limited in what he offers. But as long as he plays and tries his best he should not be booed because he has no option but to play if he's picked.

Exactly, you can't yell at the lad because he's trying his ass off.
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #26: Jan 26, 2009 07:41:48 am
      Kuyt has got to be the most frustrating Liverpool player to watch, last season watching him made me want to smash the TV his touch is piss poor he couldn't score he was all round sh*te. This year we playing him as a winger and he has frustrated me even more he still has no ball control or skill and cant score, I really do not see why he plays every game and every minute of it, Kuyt has been given ample time and I don't think he can offer us anything, his work rate is great, so what? Lets get a Kenyan long distance runner in to run around for 90 mins it would be the same thing
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #27: Jan 26, 2009 07:54:26 am
      I agree with some of this, but not all.

For those who say we shouldn't be booing our lads at Anfield when they make a mistake, that's spot on! I always thought supporting a team meant just that: cheering them on, urging them forward, boosting their confidence. Yelling at a player when he's made an error won't change what went wrong, and it will probably knock his confidence, which will increase the chances he makes another mistake!

However, when a game is over, I don't see what's wrong with constructively criticising the team as a whole, our tactics (good or bad), and individual performances. I stress: constructive. I've had a go in the past at people slagging off Kuyt, saying "he's sh*t" or "he's useless" - worthless comments. If we say he has a poor first touch, or that he often isolates himself or passes backward too often, I don't see the harm.

I love Kuyt's attitude, determination, will to win, he is an example to the team in those areas! But with the good comes the bad, and if people want to question what he brings to the club that's their right. For me, I'm a fan of the club, first and foremost, and blindly stating a player is good enough just because he plays for us isn't a valid argument.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #28: Jan 26, 2009 09:50:13 am
      I understand if you would rather have Benayoun on the pitch if you have an argument to back that up, but if you saw a player deciding not to play because he himself didn't think he was good enough, what would be your response.
      "Sorry Rafa I'm having the weekend off I don't feel like I'm good enough for Liverpool. I'd rather put someone else on the pitch than try and improve my game or try harder to be honest gaffer." Sure that's what I would say ::)

Point taken mate. I was just fuming over yet another home draw. Just to clear it up i have never shouted abuse at one of our players and never will. ;)

But i still stand by what i said about Dirk.
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #29: Jan 26, 2009 09:58:07 am
      Average player.  Runs a lot and works hard but never going to set the world a light.  But lets not forget that he is not really a wide midfielder or at least he wasn't.

I don't think the game was big enough for him.  He only scores in the vital games!!

I am thinking about joining the dutch league so I can get 30 goals a season.
      kieronhlfc
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts | -1 
      Reply #30: Jan 26, 2009 10:08:26 am
      I do appreciate you standing in Dirks corner ,BUT how can you say that a player who in YOUR words" miss controlls the ball " which in my opinion he should not be doing on a regular basis.(which as we all know he does )playing at this level. Lets get real he's a grafter alright but so is Robbie Savage (oh God did I say that ).But if Rafa sold him for a big profit would you give up your season ticket? I don't think so.

Yes i agree - i wouldn't be particulary gutted to see the back of him if that came with a say £25 million total. But at the moment we have no better right midfielder at the club (apart from Gerrard who I'd much rather see in the centre or behind torres) and untill we find a more profitable alternitive we're going to have to get behind him.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Reply #31: Jan 26, 2009 10:11:18 am
      I do appreciate you standing in Dirks corner ,BUT how can you say that a player who in YOUR words" miss controlls the ball " which in my opinion he should not be doing on a regular basis.(which as we all know he does )playing at this level. Lets get real he's a grafter alright but so is Robbie Savage (oh God did I say that ).But if Rafa sold him for a big profit would you give up your season ticket? I don't think so.

Spot on mate, you've got to give Kuyt credit for effort but if he carries on with the negative passing, dodgy first touch and questionable position play he will end up warming the bench as should the other waste of space Babel.
      « Last Edit: Jan 27, 2009 11:46:05 am by JD, Reason: Quote fixed. »
      piggy96
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts | -12 
      Reply #32: Jan 26, 2009 10:11:48 am
      how can we not moan at him? hes been f***in sh*t. my nans a better winger. he aint got the pace to be a winger. get a pacy geezer or some 1 whos skillfull. fockin ell id rather have emile heskey and hes awful.
      we shud give nemeth a chance he looks
      off kuyt. sell him.
      « Last Edit: Jan 26, 2009 12:57:49 pm by ayrton77, Reason: Racist language »
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #33: Jan 26, 2009 10:13:03 am
      Every team needs a Dirk Kuyt, one who does the chasing, the closing down, he also does it in the final third of the field and Dirk has a knack of winning balls he hasn't a right to, the players around benefit and understand Dirks worth. On Dirks downside is his shooting where he gets himself in a good position only to take the wrong option and now and then he miscontrols the ball but he more than makes up for that with his work rate. Dirk Kuyt is a diamond who loves this club and one day the doubters will understand his worth to us......
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #34: Jan 26, 2009 10:15:35 am
      how can we not moan at him? hes been f***in sh*t. my nans a better winger. he aint got the pace to be a winger. get a pacy geezer or some 1 whos skillfull. fockin ell id rather have emile heskey and hes awful.
      we shud give nemeth a chance he looks
      off kuyt. sell him.
      I can smell a ban here
      « Last Edit: Jan 26, 2009 12:58:15 pm by ayrton77, Reason: Edited out the racist bit he put »
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #35: Jan 26, 2009 02:04:11 pm
      Hard work is all good and well providing it gets you somewhere. Kuyt's ability with the ball is not of a good enough standard in my opinion. I appriciate the shift he does and it stops others having to do all the running he does, but there has to be more than what he does.

Started this season like an absoloute house on fire, scoring, assisting, even his ball skills were sound. Since about November he's been back to the Kuyt of last year. I think there's better right wingers out there who can offer us more of a threat going forward.

But while you need your flair players, your stand out superstar players, you also need those who'll put in some graft and that's what we have in Kuyt. Sammy Lee was never the greatest footballer but knew how to work for the team and was very much a cult hero for Liverpool fans, now Kuyt is very much in the same mould as Lee but doesn't quite have the same feelings off the fans. Whether it's because Lee was Scouse and didn't cost 10 million quid I don't know.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #36: Jan 26, 2009 02:47:12 pm
      ally-lfc an who the f**k are you,you f**king blert you a f**king an english teacher ? its only a forum I couldnt giv 2 fucks if I spelt a sh*t players name rong,I f**king hate online geeks who go on about spelling,at the end of the day dirk kuyt is sh*te,if I dont like a certain liverpool player I dont f**king like him you chump,ally you deffo a f**king snob lad going on about spelling you f**king pleb !

It's up to you whether you spell words right or wrong, but I don't see how you can come onto a forum and criticise players without giving a reason.
      Kuyt = sh*te
      Lucas =  sh*te
      Dossena = sh*te
      Arbeloa = sh*te

You can't just say that without saying why.
      The only reason you said was, " if i don't like a certain liverpool player, i don't F***ing like him you chump"
      How old are you mate, cos you're acting like you're about 8
      I just can't take you seriously any more chump

Yes it does matter. There's no excuse for text language or consistant poor spelling (especially when LFC players names are concerned) when there's a spell check available. It's all in the not too demanding rules. If people don't like the way things work on here, then they can go elsewhere.

Back on topic.
      Well said Kenny
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Reply #37: Jan 26, 2009 02:47:41 pm
      But while you need your flair players, your stand out superstar players, you also need those who'll put in some graft and that's what we have in Kuyt. Sammy Lee was never the greatest footballer but knew how to work for the team and was very much a cult hero for Liverpool fans, now Kuyt is very much in the same mould as Lee but doesn't quite have the same feelings off the fans. Whether it's because Lee was Scouse and didn't cost 10 million quid I don't know.

If Kuyt sharpened up and made more of the opportunities he gets no one would give a sh*t where he was from,how much he cost or make comparisons .Like Mr. Babel his inconsistency is costing the team.
      « Last Edit: Jan 26, 2009 03:48:07 pm by ayrton77, Reason: Made the quote work correctly. ;) »
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #38: Jan 26, 2009 02:51:36 pm
      I agree with some of this, but not all.

For those who say we shouldn't be booing our lads at Anfield when they make a mistake, that's spot on! I always thought supporting a team meant just that: cheering them on, urging them forward, boosting their confidence. Yelling at a player when he's made an error won't change what went wrong, and it will probably knock his confidence, which will increase the chances he makes another mistake!

However, when a game is over, I don't see what's wrong with constructively criticising the team as a whole, our tactics (good or bad), and individual performances. I stress: constructive. I've had a go in the past at people slagging off Kuyt, saying "he's sh*t" or "he's useless" - worthless comments. If we say he has a poor first touch, or that he often isolates himself or passes backward too often, I don't see the harm.

I love Kuyt's attitude, determination, will to win, he is an example to the team in those areas! But with the good comes the bad, and if people want to question what he brings to the club that's their right. For me, I'm a fan of the club, first and foremost, and blindly stating a player is good enough just because he plays for us isn't a valid argument.
      Well said
      How can you take someone seriously if all they say is, " He's sh*t" or " I F***ing hate him he can't kick a ball"
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #39: Jan 26, 2009 08:25:33 pm
      Everyone who comes on here has a right to an opinion ,whether or not we agree or not is not the issue ,its not to much to ask to pay youre fellow posters a bit of respect even if you dont think they are right ,as for Dirk as a grafter and a runner he,s top notch, as a top footballer playing for us i dont think so ,his shooting and finishing are at best average and i think i am being kind there ,and as for the notion of every team needs that kind of player i dont go for it ,if we were not giving the ball away so easily at the moment we wouldnt need to work so hard getting it back ,i thought thats what our defensive midfielders were for, or have i got that bit wrong,what we need is creativity and guile and sadly on those counts Kuyt is lacking.
      Paul 08
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts | -4 
      • Justice for the 96 reds
      Reply #40: Jan 27, 2009 11:44:59 am
      Dirk kuyt is a great player his work rate is unbeliveable I'm sure in time he'll find his scoring touch hopefully against chelsea or united
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #41: Jan 27, 2009 12:11:46 pm
      Head down - Donkey!

Can run all day - but so can Paula Radcliffe !  And she can p*ss more accurately than Kuyt can shoot !

Sell him please....
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #42: Jan 27, 2009 12:54:15 pm
      Head down - Donkey!

Can run all day - but so can Paula Radcliffe !  And she can p*ss more accurately than Kuyt can shoot !

Sell him please....

It's funny - I disagree with 99% of your posts. This one is no exception.

We need Dirk, he has amazing stamina which means he can harrass teams all through the game. I've seen him popping up everywhere; left-back, left-wing, in the box.

He reads the game well but just doesn't have the pace (or crosses) to become a decent right-winger.

I still wouldn't sell him though, no chance.
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #43: Jan 27, 2009 12:58:19 pm
      It's funny - I disagree with 99% of your posts. This one is no exception.

We need Dirk, he has amazing stamina which means he can harrass teams all through the game. I've seen him popping up everywhere; left-back, left-wing, in the box.

He reads the game well but just doesn't have the pace (or crosses) to become a decent right-winger.

Agreed, we would have dropped points without dirk, Wigan and Man City anyone?
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #44: Jan 27, 2009 01:45:14 pm

I agree he can hassle teams throughout the whole match, I've more than once hailed his fantastic, selfless team spirit. But there is a flip side to this coin: do we need our right winger to be popping up at left-back or over on the left wing?

If he's back defending on the opposite corner of the pitch to where he is positioned, then it means that when we get the ball back there's one less attacking player to play it forward to, which is a big handicap to our counter attacking! We should be able to rely on our defence to remain solid without relying on the attacking players so much, and as for harassing players, I thought that was Mascherano's job?

Should make myself clear here: I appreciate the effort he puts in, and all our attacking players should be hustling for the ball once we've lost it, but to the extent he does it can have a counter effect, unstabling our formation.

Agreed! :D He has a tremendous value, but were we to sign a right winger in the Riera mould I wouldn't be unhappy either. Kuyt can be extremely effective against certain teams but leave us lacking a certain inspiration or pace against others.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,335 posts | 184 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #45: Jan 27, 2009 02:14:25 pm
      ally-lfc an who the f**k are you,you f**king blert you a f**king an english teacher ? its only a forum I couldnt giv 2 fucks if I spelt a sh*t players name rong,I f**king hate online geeks who go on about spelling,at the end of the day dirk kuyt is sh*te,if I dont like a certain liverpool player I dont f**king like him you chump,ally you deffo a f**king snob lad going on about spelling you f**king pleb !

dude somethings wrong with you. if you're mad at life dont bring all you sh** to the forum, some people here is actually trying to be constructive and friendly. you might have different opinions, and still not need to talk like a f**king gangster o whatever you think you sound like. plus, you're as 'geek' as the guy who tried to help you understand how names are written in this century, you know, one of those angry agressive geeks who think they are bad guys while they eat pizza 24/7. so please take your pills.

btw i think dirk is doing his best effort but imo he's not a natural winger, so no one should really be asking more of him playing in that position. and btw, he has scored mora goals than riera, idk about assists, but i just think people should not be that harsh with him. rafa is using the lads in a kind of wieird way, and as i said that is not dirks position in the first place so personally i won't complain a thing bout him.

Quick Reply