Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 5th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W9 D6 L6

Why I back the only man for Liverpool - Rafa Benitez

Read 8026 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,658 posts | 6954 
      Why I back the only man for Liverpool - Rafa Benitez
      Feb 06, 2009 01:05:16 am
      There's been a few people in the past week/fortnight who have managed to get right on my tits.  First there was the moaning about getting rid of a striker who had offered us nothing, and that somebody wanted to actually buy. So instead of wasting nearly £20 million plus millions more in wages, we actually got out only taking a £3 million hit.  Would this have happened under Houllier? We'd have ended up paying someone to take him off our hands.

Before that the people who had been complaining about Keane going were moaning about him being brought on for a tired Gerrard against Wigan.

Next up we have the fact that Rafa's bosses are arguably the most unhelpful indviduals this side of Guantanamo Bay prison guards.  Gillett even threw a sly dig in about Rafa at the weekend (before we beat Chelsea - again - for the first time in 20 years) - all this after they were about to replace him with Jürgen Klinsmann.

Finally, Liverpool are positioning themselves well as we enter the final stages of the season.

I don't even need to use Istanbul as part of my reasoning for why I'm backing Rafa either.

Tonight somebody on the site said that we should get Kenny in - nobody can do worse than Rafa.

Interestingly if we go back to the last time we won the league in 89/90 - after 24 games we had banked 46 points.  This stage we have 51 points under 'terrible' Benitez in a vastly harder league to compete in.

People even contemplating getting rid of Benitez are in the minority, and some of those on here who have done so have since been uncovered as United fans or Everton fans, and I'm sure others have some other motivations too.  People have the right to be critical - we all are - but people calling for his head who are genuine Liverpool fans need to get a grip.

The silent majority know that for the first time in decades we are a team hard to beat, constantly flexing our teeth in European Football again, and at long last genuinely talked about as potential Champions.

The day Benitez leaves Liverpool will be the day our club gets put back in to the dark ages and 30-35 points off the title.

In Rafa I Trust

« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2009 01:15:24 am by JD »
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Re: Why I back the only man for Liverpool - Rafa Benitez
      Reply #1: Feb 06, 2009 01:09:34 am
      Well said.

We may not have a better manager than Rafa for decades - so let's at least make the most of Rafa while we have him.

He will bring us glory. :)
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,054 posts | 3353 
      Reply #2: Feb 06, 2009 01:15:46 am
      JD a very good arguement but without looking to cause any unneccessary aggro couldn't all this of just been said in "is rafa the right man". Everything that gets said in here, will have been said in there already.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #3: Feb 06, 2009 01:39:11 am
      I couldn't agree more if Rafa went not only would we not be the same in europe we'd probably lose quite a few players especially the spaniards and I honestly can't see us winning the premier league under anyone else.
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #4: Feb 06, 2009 02:05:42 am

Top post JD.. It needed to be said like this! Its not a post for is Rafa the right man.. Its somewhere we can publicly state our support for what is a great manager.. why we back him? there is no debating the matter.. if you dont back him or want him out dont post in this thread, simple as..

Your doing a great job Rafa and i'm sad you dont have the board confidence, support you deserve..Its a shame what drove you out of Valencia is in many respects happening here. I only hope you stay long enough for new owners and a new stadium.

The golden era is around the corner and i back Rafa to be the man to lead us there.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #5: Feb 06, 2009 04:56:59 am
      Rafa has led us to Champions League glory, 21 years after we had won it. He also brought us the FA Cup and to another Champions League final. All - in great sytle. And I know he'll be the one to lead us to Premier League glory.

Rafa knows best. He's experience, that's proven with Valencia.
      ustcustc
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #6: Feb 06, 2009 05:26:12 am
      believe in RAFA
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #7: Feb 06, 2009 06:07:50 am
      You can clearly see that Rafa is trying his best.  I am sure that time will prove to non-belivers that Rafa was the right man.  Because surely he will want the fans to think this before he leaves LiverpoolFC. 
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #8: Feb 06, 2009 08:14:36 am
      We need new owners not a new manager....
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #9: Feb 06, 2009 08:18:21 am
      I totally support RAFA and I am amazed at what he has achieved at our club when I think of the constraints and backstabbing  he has had to put up with.If anyone is dissatisfied with RAFA surely the time to protest is at the end of the season when it will not have any effect on the club and the players.One last thing ,if RAFA and the MIGHTY REDS bring home number19 and or the Champions Cup  it could be embarrassing for you if you have already made your mind up that RAFA should go.Think about it and get in behind this great club of ours.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,565 posts | 1799 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #10: Feb 06, 2009 09:02:05 am
      He is the right man, im 100% behind him, always have been, I think he need's to stay to be a success, Long term, this is now his squad, this is probably the 1st season when he has all players he want's!

but sometimes I do wonder if somebody else could take his squad to the next level! (like Kenny)

But even Kenny back's him 100%.
      ricohman
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 39 posts |
      Reply #11: Feb 06, 2009 09:31:49 am
      I agree with JD also, we are getting better every year under Rafa, he does frustrate me sometimes but a manager needs time in the job.
      redtiptoe
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts |
      Reply #12: Feb 06, 2009 09:34:13 am
      Couldn't agree more, my personel aspirations at the start the season were to push for the title all the way and were doing that so YES Rafa is the right man for me at our great club because he's meeting them. And as Bartman says new owners not a new manager.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #13: Feb 06, 2009 09:49:37 am
      Top post JD ,a lot of fans have short memories compared to the Houllier era we are a vastly improved team i actually go to anfield thinking we are going to win instead of going hoping we dont lose that is the difference it has made to me ,of course people have different views Rafa has bought some sh*t in his time the difference is he dont take years to get rid of if it dont work he gets shot of .there will be sticky points ie wednesday night but on the whole we are a far better and harder team to beat now ,we go into europe with a genuine chance each year ,and now a chance of the league ,we dont have a divine right to win it but at least he is putting us into a position to have a good crack at it ,some fans are looking at a small picture instead of the big canvass he has set out ,on top of that put in all the crap he has had to deal with as well, who else would take that sh*t almost every week and still put us where we are i dont believe there is another one because if they had to take that sh*t they would have spat out their dummies and walked ,we have backed him and he is doing the same you cant ask for much more than that .
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #14: Feb 06, 2009 10:03:24 am
      Hopefully this will shut up the Rafa bashers on here once and for all.
      waclander
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #15: Feb 06, 2009 10:16:28 am
      I couldn't agree more if Rafa went not only would we not be the same in europe we'd probably lose quite a few players especially the spaniards and I honestly can't see us winning the premier league under anyone else.
      Behind Rafa but this worries me about the spainish players seems they're loyal to Rafa rather than club what happens a year or two down the line if he 'has' to be sacked a, maybe some fans are more loyal to him as well but i think this whole pro/anti rafa think is getting a bit ridiculous we should be behind him at the very least until the end of season then stock should be taken and if we do push for the title till the end and finish second and do well in europe maybe semi's or so i think he should be left for another season but i don't think he should be blindly followed where ever he may take us either, he is obviously one of the best coachs in the game today and as long as there is improvement he should be surrported.One think that has to change asap is the yanks and Parry they need to get out and stay the f*ck out.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #16: Feb 06, 2009 10:28:38 am
      Like when he put an under-strength team that lost to Burnley in the FA Cup 2004/2005, we went on to reach the Champions League final which we won.

We reached the Champions League Final in 2006/2007 and the team that thrashed us out of the FA and League Cup, did not.

The team is doing well in the Champions League under Rafa. We're not doing SO badly in the league. We don't lose often, it's just that we draw alot.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,565 posts | 1799 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #17: Feb 06, 2009 10:39:25 am
      Under Rafa;

We qualify every year for champions league, i.e finsihing in top 4 every year!
      We have been to 2 champiosn league final's winning 1.
      We have won the FA cup.
      We got to league cup final - lost.
      We won super cup & charity shield!
      We have the best strikler in the world - Torres!
      We kept the best midfielder in the world - Gerrard!
      We did not lose at home in the league in 2008!

All this whilst working with a sh#thouse board & chairman!

Only thing missing is the league from that, and we are finally getting close to that!

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #18: Feb 06, 2009 10:48:44 am
      And of course, we're 13 games unbeaten :)
      waclander
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #19: Feb 06, 2009 11:05:38 am
      He did sell Jimmy Taore can we ever forgive him for this  ;D
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,565 posts | 1799 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #20: Feb 06, 2009 11:17:18 am
      All be it with too many draw's.

For the past 12 months we don't look like losing to anybody tbh.

Spur's defeats where down to crap use of squad!
      Everton was a last minute extra time jammy goal, after we went down to 10 men!

In all honesty I rememeber watching us thinking we were gonna lose, now Im worried about not scoring enough to put team's away, but not even thinking we will lose!
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #21: Feb 06, 2009 11:18:14 am
      the people who slag benitez off don't know what they're talking about.they listen to all that's said in the papers and get sucked in to all the negative press about liverpool fc day in day out.you don't hear anything bad said about arsen winger or! Phil scolari and their doing a lot worse than the dambed benitez!plus they have a board behind them who back them in anything they do!
      the job our boss is doing under the sir-cumstances in unbelievable.
      everyone who isn't behind benitez is either a manc ore a blue.end of.
      shikhark
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts |
      Reply #22: Feb 06, 2009 11:31:54 am
      We need new owners not a new manager....

And someone to replace Parry!

Quick Reply