Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who would you like to see at Anfield next season?

David Silva
      (48.4%)
      Carlos Tevez
      (10.9%)
      David Villa
      (28.3%)
      Samuel Eto'o
      (3.1%)
      Yoann Gourcuff
      (1.9%)
      Gareth Barry
      (0%)
      Glen Johnson
      (4.7%)
      Stewart Downing
      (0.6%)
      Amir Zaki
      (0.9%)
      Michael Owen
      (1.2%)

General transfer discussion - summer 2009

Read 187608 times
      kopfan
      • Forum John Aldridge
      • Started Topic

• 110 posts |
      General transfer discussion - summer 2009
      Feb 13, 2009 05:56:55 pm
      Players from the Premier League, players from the British leagues, players from the foreign leagues - your take on who Rafa should be looking at this summer. It all goes in this thread.

DO NOT POST INDIVIDUAL ARTICLE LINKS TO A POSSIBLE TRANSFER IN THIS THREAD - THIS IS JUST FOR DISCUSSION ABOUT WHO YOU THINK SHOULD JOIN OR LEAVE THE MIGHTY REDS.

Any individual transfer articles about a player should go in the relevant thread that already exists in this board. Or if a particular thread about that player doesn't exist, make a new thread about that player.

A reminder about this board's rules can be read here:
      http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=2815.0

GK - No Comment
      Defender - Gary Cahill (Bolton), Glen Johnson (Portsmouth)
      Midfielder - Antonio Valencia (Wigan), James Milner (Villa)
      Forward - Darren Bent (Spurs), Roque Santa Cruz (Blackburn)

Gareth Bale (Spurs)(people here dislike him)
      Kevin Doyle (Reading)(not in epl)

Any Comments???
      « Last Edit: Apr 29, 2009 11:31:32 pm by redkenny »
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: General transfer discussion - summer 2009
      Reply #1: Feb 13, 2009 06:22:46 pm
      Well I don't think we need a goalkeeper.

Defender wise, I'm extremely content with Arbeloa and Aurelio at the moment, we've got Dossena and Insua to cover left and we haven't really seen anything of Degen yet. As for centre backs, we're sorted at the minute, unless Agger goes and we need a replacement.

I don't think we need any Centre Midfielders, we have 3 world class ones already.

Maybe a right winger such as Valencia would be good, but then again Benayoun has really proved himself recently, and of course theirs Kuyt who has been doing a good job on the right. Riera and Babel are looking a bit off the pace at the minute but I think they should both come good, especially Riera.

Forward wise, if Rafa wanted to buy somebody to partner Torres, dropping Gerrard into the midfield, as I've said before I strongly believe that Kenwyne Jones would be a superb signing, he's got everything.

Although I don't see why this topic is only 'Premier League players' why not 'world players'?
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #2: Feb 13, 2009 06:57:25 pm
      to be honest none of them have produced at Champions league level so no for me. If we have a fit squad I think a "natural" right winger is our only requirement .i am not sure about Valencia. Any new signings we make must be top top draw no more squad players needed ;)
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #3: Feb 13, 2009 06:58:15 pm
      GK - No Comment
      Defender - Gary Cahill (Bolton), Gareth Bale (Spurs), Glen Johnson (Portsmouth)
      Midfielder - Antonio Valencia (Wigan), James Milner (Villa)

Any Comments???

Next person who suggests Gareth Bale I will personally find and kill

he is literally the worst left back in the Premiership. But since he is good on fifa or FM everyone loves him. He is yet to win a game in the Premier league... that shows you something about Garth Bale. Also Miler is brutal too I think.

But the rest are OK i guess, Cahill I do think is a decent player so good shout there
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #4: Feb 13, 2009 06:59:45 pm

How about, Villa (Valencia)?

Doesn't that sound better than them two?
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #5: Feb 13, 2009 07:27:13 pm
      How about, Villa (Valencia)?

Doesn't that sound better than them two?

Yeah the topic says Premier League players...

No idea why that is, but hey!
      RedDrog
      • Forum John Toshack

• 264 posts |
      Reply #6: Feb 13, 2009 10:42:16 pm
      Darren Bent, you must be havin a laugh! What a waster. We need a striker that can play up front on his own, preferably with a bit of pace. It was mentioned before, your not going to get a world class striker to sit on the bench behind torres! Kevin Doyle anyone?
      albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #7: Feb 13, 2009 10:55:57 pm
      ;D...not one of the players on your list is better than those we already have so what would be the point of buying any of them?

we have spent the last 10 years buying average players like these but finally we are at a situation where only near-world-class players are an improvement now.

oh, and bent? ffs, he has about zero confidence and self-belief....i week under rafa's stare and he'd be a gibbering wreck of a player.
      kopfan
      • Forum John Aldridge
      • Started Topic

• 110 posts |
      Reply #8: Feb 13, 2009 11:03:52 pm

he is literally the worst left back in the Premiership. But since he is good on fifa or FM everyone loves him. He is yet to win a game in the Premier league... that shows you something about Garth Bale. Also Miler is brutal too I think.

But the rest are OK I guess, Cahill I do think is a decent player so good shout there

Kill off Garth Bale.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #9: Feb 13, 2009 11:04:12 pm

:lmao: :lmao:

Personally I'm not too sure if there is any players in our league from teams who we could realistically do business with.

No one at the top are going to sell to their rivals unless the players in question are simply not good enough.

I'd have Crouch back though....
      kopfan
      • Forum John Aldridge
      • Started Topic

• 110 posts |
      Reply #10: Feb 13, 2009 11:05:11 pm
      Darren Bent, you must be havin a laugh! What a waster. We need a striker that can play up front on his own, preferably with a bit of pace. It was mentioned before, your not going to get a world class striker to sit on the bench behind torres! Kevin Doyle anyone?

Added Kevin Doyle to the list.. I think he does have a chance to make it.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,116 posts | 3370 
      Reply #11: Feb 13, 2009 11:19:37 pm
      If Arsenal finish outside the top four, there'll be a lot of grumblings that their players want to leave...if this is the case Sagna/Clichy/Nasri could warm our bench.

I've always wanted Aaron Lennon, I know people think his final ball is sh*te, but he gives us something we don't have too much of and that's pace. For teams coming to "park the bus" at Anfield, Lennon would be ideal because he'd drag defenders out.

With Sami the Finn not being able to go on forever, I think David Weater would be a good signing. Boro are in danger of going down (thank F**k for that) so come the end of the season he might be on a cut down price.

That Argie on the left wing for Newcastle has impressed me. God knows how you spell it, but he's been one bright spark for the Magpies this year. Give Riera some competition.

I must admit though, I didn't know Kevin Doyle was still in the top flight. I thought he was in Championship but maybe that's just me. So if we are picking players from lower down the leagues, Ebanks-Blake of Wolves is one I was hyping up in January. Talents from the league below are Jermaine Beckford (despite having a tendancy to elbow Millwall keepers) who just scores for fun and could offer us cover. Fair enough untested, but so is Ngog who still has a long way to impress me. Another two from League 1 are Leicester pair Matty Fryatt and Joe Mattock. Mattock is just a top class left back awaiting a club to take a chance on him, fortunately with Insua we shouldn't need Mattock but if we get short in that position he'd be one I certainly look to bring to the club. As for Fryatt he's just another goalscoring forward who could act as cover should we ever get desperate.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #12: Feb 13, 2009 11:29:10 pm
      If Arsenal finish outside the top four, there'll be a lot of grumblings that their players want to leave...if this is the case Sagna/Clichy/Nasri could warm our bench.

I've always wanted Aaron Lennon, I know people think his final ball is sh*te, but he gives us something we don't have too much of and that's pace. For teams coming to "park the bus" at Anfield, Lennon would be ideal because he'd drag defenders out.

With Sami the Finn not being able to go on forever, I think David Weater would be a good signing. Boro are in danger of going down (thank f**k for that) so come the end of the season he might be on a cut down price.

That Argie on the left wing for Newcastle has impressed me. God knows how you spell it, but he's been one bright spark for the Magpies this year. Give Riera some competition.

I must admit though, I didn't know Kevin Doyle was still in the top flight. I thought he was in Championship but maybe that's just me. So if we are picking players from lower down the leagues, Ebanks-Blake of Wolves is one I was hyping up in January. Talents from the league below are Jermaine Beckford (despite having a tendancy to elbow Millwall keepers) who just scores for fun and could offer us cover. Fair enough untested, but so is Ngog who still has a long way to impress me. Another two from League 1 are Leicester pair Matty Fryatt and Joe Mattock. Mattock is just a top class left back awaiting a club to take a chance on him, fortunately with Insua we shouldn't need Mattock but if we get short in that position he'd be one I certainly look to bring to the club. As for Fryatt he's just another goalscoring forward who could act as cover should we ever get desperate.

Bolded some good shouts
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #13: Feb 14, 2009 12:50:58 am
      with the exception of maybe valencia,all names managed are sub standard and not good enough to wear the shirt..
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #14: Feb 14, 2009 01:54:01 am
      In the league, i'd go for Lennon or Valencia at RM but should Agger leave i think Brede Hangeland, Cahill, Wheater or simply call Hobbs back.

Crouchy to come back after Pompey get relegated. Darby to fill in as back up RB.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #15: Feb 14, 2009 12:03:59 pm
      Some of the names thrown around here are a bit of a wind up ey? D.Bent and Bale ffs Mags as you say he is the most over rated left back in the league and is no suprise Essoa Ettoko however the F**k you spell it has taken over the left back role. Hate him more for that tackle he put on our glass boy Degen breaking a metatarsal bone.
      Agree with ya DLS Jonas Guiterraz has been impressive for me also down the right flank though and not the left. The one player I would love to see would be Modric now I know we have central midfielders in abundance however he has a deadly final ball that unfortunetly nobody at Spurs can capitalise on. I think him Gerrard and Alonso in the middle would absolutely tear teams apart. I also highly rate Mendy as a right back great speed and attacking qualities but our Arbeloa is miles ahead still.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #16: Feb 14, 2009 12:50:12 pm
      How about Robbie Keane anyone?
      lfc tom
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 35 posts |
      Reply #17: Feb 14, 2009 01:00:24 pm
      How about Robbie Keane anyone?

;D that would be a great signing  :lmao:
      lfc tom
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 35 posts |
      Reply #18: Feb 14, 2009 01:09:32 pm
      I think we should get Lennon he has the pace and his crossing is improving.
      He won't cost to much either
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #19: Feb 14, 2009 01:16:35 pm
      I think we should get Lennon he has the pace and his crossing is improving.
      He won't cost to much either

Probably still too costly for us since we have dumb and dumber controlling the funds.
      lfc tom
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 35 posts |
      Reply #20: Feb 14, 2009 01:19:25 pm
      Probably still too costly for us since we have dumb and dumber controlling the funds.

Very true the sooner we get rid of them 2 the better.
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #21: Feb 14, 2009 01:23:05 pm
      Very true the sooner we get rid of them 2 the better.
      Them 3 you mean, that Rick Parry is causing all the trouble.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #22: Feb 14, 2009 03:30:33 pm
      I'm sick of seeing Gareth Bale mentioned. He's sh*t. Emiliano Insua is much, much better.

Should Agger leave, I'd take Hangeland, whoever it was that mentioned it. Don't think Santa Cruz has been impressive enough this season.
      Wouldn't take Bent. Not good enough for us, IMO. Maybe for someone like WBA.

If I could have any forward in the country, it'd be hard to overlook Robin Van Persie, IMO.
      Not to partner Torres, but to fill in and rotate with him. He's a brilliant player.

Quick Reply