Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Where do we need strengthening for a title challenge

Read 41763 times
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Re: Where do we need strengthening for a title challenge
      Reply #391: Apr 29, 2009 05:37:10 pm
      Yes, cover for the right-side would be extremely helpful. Although we do have Yossi and Dirk, so maybe right-back should be the main priority.

Assuming Babel goes, we have both Riera and Dossena for the left-wing position. I think we'll be okay there for now.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #392: Apr 29, 2009 05:43:43 pm
      Yeah but we need better attack options, if we keep with what we have got how are we going to improve attacking wise next season.
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #393: Apr 29, 2009 05:44:11 pm
      kuyt is good enough on the right! only a world class left winger like Silva is enough for me. a RB is optional. back up CDM? no! when we gona give young players a chance if we keep waste money on positions we already have good back up.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #394: Apr 29, 2009 08:00:07 pm
      David Silva looks like a popular request this summer. Is anyone else keen to keep Ryan Babel? I certainly am, one of the only players with a glimpse of potential outside our first XI!!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #395: Apr 29, 2009 08:13:19 pm
      I think that we are going to need a bit of cover in the RB area, and also some more wingers and a cover for Nando should he have another injury season.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      Reply #396: Apr 29, 2009 08:22:12 pm
      People are saying we're after Glen Johnson this summer, but we're going to face a huge battle for Pompey to settle on a price, he's been their best player this season so they won't want to be letting him go. But we clearly need another right back since Carra strugles to get forward when he plays there in place of Arbeloa. Johnson would fit the role perfectly if we got a decent price.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #397: Apr 29, 2009 08:25:43 pm
      RB

RW

ST

Three players.  You fill in the blanks.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,479 posts | 2862 
      Reply #398: Apr 29, 2009 08:26:42 pm
      I'd say:

LW

ST
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      Reply #399: Apr 29, 2009 08:55:30 pm
      I heard Goran Pandev is Europes biggest transfer target this summer, I hope Liverpool will be in contention for him! Dzeko seems like an exiting player too.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #400: Apr 30, 2009 09:10:58 am
      RB

RW

ST

Three players.  You fill in the blanks.

No faith in Darby? Or you mean just bring him up into the back up spot for RB?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #401: Apr 30, 2009 09:47:33 am
      No faith in Darby? Or you mean just bring him up into the back up spot for RB?

I, for one, would have faith in Stephen - does Rafa?  :-\
      LFC-Red
      • Banned

• 553 posts | 15 
      • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
      Reply #402: Apr 30, 2009 10:03:48 am
      I have a feeling Agger will leave in the summer as he has not re-signed his contract that could very well implicate him moving on.

If this does happen we will need to start looking for a new CB and we will also need to prioritise our targets in the striker department. The thing is though with Torres fit we only usually play with one upfront, and we saw what forcing Keane into a two man partner-ship with Gerrard pushed further back did, not alot! Gerrard and Torres have an excellent understanding and a great partnership to boot, I would not want to see Rafa trying to accomodate another striker if it is going to have a detrimental effect to the Gerrard/Torres partnership. We may need to look for a striker who is also capable of leading the line by himself just to fill in incase Torres is out. Or by another striker that can be paired with N'gog, but this would mean changing the formation to suite. I would not be keen on this idea as Masharano and Alonso are both excellent were they currently play and one of them maybe on the bench to allow Gerrard to move back into the center, unless the Captain is deployed wide right. Rieria and Kuyt though have also been quite effective pushed further forwards in a three man trio including Gerrard. If they were reverted back to a four man midfield I think they would loose the opportunity to push on more as their defensive duties are more essential in that position.

So a striker who can play the lone role ? Thats tough because if you look for a big/tall lad like Crouch/Heskey/Carew who would be able to hold the ball up you run the risk of you're defendings pumping the long ball upfield rather than passing it through midfield. Yet if you look at players like Anelka (who I personally wouldnt mind) or Bellamy/Cisse, their game is about running the channels and using their pace to out fox defenders a bit like Torres but not as good. Anyone filling in for Torres will find the task an arduous one considering the Spainards brilliance. But Cisse does not have the intelligence, Anelka who I like admittedly but isnt realistic, doesnt have the workrate and attitude and Bellamy well he plays better when working with a partner feeding off through balls etc and running the channels.

In all honesty I don't really know the strikers who ply their trade in Europe so that is a non-starter for me, as for a premiership striker, realisticly maybe Santa Cruz or Zaki ?

I think cover for Arbeloa is a must but I already believe we have adequate cover in Stephen Darby. I personally like Arbeloa I think he is a decent defender and gets forward quite well but if Rafa were to look at another key player for that position maybe Glen Johnson would suffice.

Left back is very debatable, Aurelio has shown good form in recent months I did not really rate this lad but as of late and brushing aside the blunder against Arsenal I think he has done well. Question is whether he can stay fit and of course money available as the right mid and left mid in my opinion is more of a priority than left back. Still Insua would be decent back up, although he does switch off defensively as Hull's goal showed last Saturday.

Right mid along with striker and possibly a center back are the priorities, closely followed by left mid. Kuyt is good, works hard blah blah blah but a bit more flair is needed down the right. I am not advocating selling Kuyt we need to keep him as he is very useful but when trying to break down the 'bus' at Anfield a bit of flair and creativity is needed more from the right hand side. Someone who is capable of going past a man or two, who can jink his way around defenders. For all Kuyts abilities taking a man on and having a pop at goal is not really his forte. Someone like SWP would be ideal he to has a good engine but I don't know how realistic he'd be, but that mould of player certainly.

While Rieira in his first season at Liverpool has done okay, he started of like a shinning star really looking the real deal but as the season has gone on he has faded somewhat. A good player on his day but I do not think he is consistent enough at the top level, another player we could  keep as back-up but after watching him this season definately not a regular first team starter.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #403: Apr 30, 2009 11:12:45 pm
      I've read this somewhere before, and I think if the Scums wants him then we should have a go at him also. Providing him with the better options is essential to lure him to us. Scums have Rooney and Berbatov while we have Torres as a functional striker. Kuyt right now has been shifted to right side and playing great. So why go to the Scum and be a 3rd choice striker while you can partner Torres anytime.

If the scum are interested who's leaving them The Portuguese's Pole Dancer or Tevez , Tevez would be a quality signing  in my opinion but
      another guy I think  we should chance our arm at is  Raul  hes not first choice any more I dont think he would be to hard to please a new challenge an all that , he can double up with Torres and play the lone striker if need be .

Watt
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 884 posts | 22 
      Reply #404: Apr 30, 2009 11:45:34 pm
      I've read this somewhere before, and I think if the Scums wants him then we should have a go at him also.

Hm.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #405: May 01, 2009 07:27:06 am
      I think the right wing is sorted. Kuyt's been playing his best ever football in Liverpool Red, and Yossi goes without saying.
      Right back, bring up Darby.

I think we need strengthening more on the left flank than the right. We have 2 under-achieving left wingers. I'd sell Babel and Riera, give Hamill a chance and Dossena (that one game where he played at LW, he was fantastic I thought), and buy someone David Silva for the left flank.

And then up front we need a back-up for Torres. A few names being thrown around: Owen, Saviola would be my choices. We need experienced cover for Torres, not youngsters. Blood in the likes of Nemeth in cup games and off the bench every so often.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #406: May 01, 2009 07:43:11 am
      ^^^^

Reaslistic targets I feel.

One big buy David Silva, Owen as back-up, and giving the youngsters a go too.

I could actually see it happening like that, with perhaps one or two mysterious Rafa-style signings too. :D

Quick Reply