Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Liverpool 4 Arsenal 4 - Post match thread

Read 41575 times
      flafson
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 497 posts |
      Re: Liverpool 4 Arsenal 4 - Post match thread
      Reply #161: Apr 22, 2009 12:14:10 am
      I still don't understand why a player like Yossi only worth 5mil pounds, he is easily at the same level as the players who cost 20mil.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #162: Apr 22, 2009 12:15:31 am
      It's all about - how do the mancs get away with it with their defenders always bombing forward while we seem to concede goals when our defenders aren't strictly thinking about defending? Are they lucky or are we soft? Like people say...we're so nearly there. If we hadn't conceded any goals this season then we'd have won the league by now... ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,678 posts | 6975 
      Reply #163: Apr 22, 2009 12:17:41 am
      Errr, MsG....you've been drinking haven't you?

What gave it away - the smiley's or the sticky Tab key?
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #164: Apr 22, 2009 12:19:35 am
      What a night, and talk of players who don't know when they're beaten, that second half was some performance and the players deserve every plaudit that comes their way, they were immense.

A couple of gaffs in defence although they have nothing to feel bad about, it's just Arsenal had players who can hurt us and you have to hold you hands up for the taking of the goals, even though they were made in Anfeild. Arsenal created one chance on their own and that run was similar to last years CL QF by Walcott.

All players played their part but Yossi's display was fantastical and that goal that he somehow got on target was incredible and for me he was the outstanding player in the game and not far behind Was Nando who's goal (second) was a Bute, his first wasn't bad either.

We shall find out in six games whether tonight's point was one won or one lost but whatever it all abodes well for the future the younger ones know how to win and fear no-one and the older ones will know we can win it next year if we don't this year.

Last thought I also thought Alan Smith was a little dismissive in the talk with Stevie and Redknapp, He pointed out all those missing players of Arsenal and more or less didn't know until Stevie put him right about how many games Nando has missed this year and of coarse not a mention of Stevie G missing a lot of games as well. I hate Arsenal, so arragant...

LFCBosnia
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 353 posts | 12 
      Reply #165: Apr 22, 2009 12:24:04 am
      This was so frustrating at the end  :mad: :mad:, especially because they scored 4 goals with only 4 shots on the goal. those kinds of mistakes cost us CL semi's but at least no one can complain about not playing well.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #166: Apr 22, 2009 12:25:30 am
      This is worth reading from Football365.......

Fair comment ?

It's difficult to know what to make of that quite remarkable game.
      In a season of astonishing matches, this was perhaps the most incredible, purely because of the astounding discrepency between the scoreline and the balance of play.

Arsenal were dreadful, virtually from start to finish.

Sure, they played some neat short-passing triangles and Andrey Arshavin took his four goals nicely, but beyond that they were blown away by a relentless Liverpool attacking force.

The old line about taking your chances applies, that's one thing you can't fault Arsenal on.

According to the F365 stats they had three shots on target in the whole game, and they all went in. Impressive, but that's the only thing about their performance you can apply that adjective to.

It was a mugging of epic proportions.

Arsenal deserved nothing, but did Liverpool deserve the win?

In scoring 12 goals against Chelsea, Blackburn and Arsenal, Liverpool have killed the lie about only being an attacking force when Steven Gerrard is raising hell behind Fernando Torres, but in that time they have also conceded eight.

And at least three of Arsenal's four were down to defensive errors.
      The fourth came from a rapid counter as Liverpool chased a winner, but the first three were preventable.
      Basic and uncharacteristic errors from Javier Mascherano, Alvaro Arbeloa and Fabio Aurelio gave Arshavin the chances that he expertly converted, something that suggests Liverpool don't have the fortitude to be champions.

On the other hand, they did come from behind three times.
      The freak of Istanbul 2005 aside, would Liverpool sides of the past few years have managed that against a team like Arsenal?

So is that it? Are Manchester United now champions? Probably, but we've said that one or two times before in this magnificently entertaining season.

"We've done fantastically well to be involved" said Steven Gerrard after the game, which suggests that Liverpool perhaps haven't given up, but recognise that the title is unlikely.

They will receive criticism for throwing a lead at the top of the table away, but the surprise isn't that their title bid has ended prematurely, but rather that it went on for so long. The squad is arguably weaker than last season, with the addition of the steadily consistent Albert Riera offset by a lack of convincing strikers outside the obvious two.

So even if the likely happens and Liverpool finish second, their fans should not be disheartened.

It might not be this season, but the past few weeks have shown us that Liverpool will be champions and very soon.

Its Not Over Till Its Over !

Redhead
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 93 posts |
      Reply #167: Apr 22, 2009 12:36:19 am
      Be honest with yourselves though. What a great great ride weve been on , i know its heartbreaking an guttin but i would not have missed this time since we played the Mancs for all the money in the world. Even if we dont win it this season. its been better than being on the big dipper at Blackpool. An thats why i love us an continue to love us because they have given me the best times of my life. Theres something special happening here an i cant wait

FabulousAurelio
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 537 posts | 11 
      Reply #168: Apr 22, 2009 01:03:21 am
      Be honest with yourselves though. What a great great ride weve been on , I know its heartbreaking an guttin but I would not have missed this time since we played the Mancs for all the money in the world. Even if we dont win it this season. its been better than being on the big dipper at Blackpool. An thats why I love us an continue to love us because they have given me the best times of my life. Theres something special happening here an I cant wait

Proud of the lads again tonight. With this team you can just never ever give up and this season is one I will never ever forget. Your right there is something special happening here. And this league is not over yet. I still believe United will drop points who knows maybe even tomorrow against Pompey.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,710 posts | 896 
      Reply #169: Apr 22, 2009 01:20:39 am
       whenever lfc loose, depression takes over me. I am not the optimistic type, nor the pessimistic actually.
      When the final whistle was blown, my heart was shattered to pieces. I said somethings i regret on this forum, and to a friend. But when i came back here,  i was delighted that there are people who still believe we can do it this season, after going through your posts. my faith is restored.
      Some of the people here are so optimistic, that its more then enough to make me believe again. Thats the reason why i love this forum.
      FabulousAurelio
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 537 posts | 11 
      Reply #170: Apr 22, 2009 01:38:24 am
      whenever lfc loose, depression takes over me. I am not the optimistic type, nor the pessimistic actually.
      When the final whistle was blown, my heart was shattered to pieces. I said somethings I regret on this forum, and to a friend. But when I came back here,  I was delighted that there are people who still believe we can do it this season, after going through your posts. my faith is restored.
      Some of the people here are so optimistic, that its more then enough to make me believe again. Thats the reason why I love this forum.
      I know the feeling Billo sometimes its hard to be optimistic. But its just the heart the team have showed this season has been inspirational and gives me hope for the future of this team. Cheer up Billo! :)
      reds1
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #171: Apr 22, 2009 01:47:40 am
      Pepe Reina doesn't make ONE save all game yet picks up the ball out of the back of the net FOUR times.  UNBELIEVABLE.

I'm in agreeance with some on this forum and say that's it as far as the title is concerned.

A bitter and disappointing end ( I know there are still 5 more to play ) to a season which we will end up without any silverware.

AGAIN. :mad: :f_steam: >:(
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #172: Apr 22, 2009 01:51:28 am
      Arsenal is a big team. We may not have capitalise on their injury-hit side but their midfield is still one of the world's best with Fabregas, Nasri, Arshavin, and Denilson there. It's still a point against one of the best team in England and Europe. They're in the Champions League semi-final, made to the FA Cup semi-final and are always a threat.

We dominated the game with more shots and corners. Pepe Reina hardly had saves to make. Unlucky for us, we made a lot of mistakes in defence and Fabianski probably played his best game in an Arsenal shirt.

We can be happy with the result but we should be proud of the dominance and performance. It's a good sign that we've score 4 goals or more in our last 6/9 games and 12 goals in our last 3. My only concern at the moment is the defence and the goalkeeping area. We've conceded 8 goals in 2 and hopefully that does not happen anymore.

Credit to the lads for their losing/drawing is not an option mentality. Kept pushing to the end and equalised at the death. We should have won, but unlucky to not have. But bear in mind, it's still not over. Just much more difficult.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #173: Apr 22, 2009 01:56:42 am
      If Liverpool would have concentrated on CL OR! PL they would have won one of the latest clashes. Liverpool will lose both, CL and PL, because they are not strong enough for  2 competitions and not wise enough to focus their limited powers on one competition.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #174: Apr 22, 2009 02:07:16 am
      If Liverpool would have concentrated on CL OR! PL they would have won one of the latest clashes. Liverpool will lose both, CL and PL, because they are not strong enough for  2 competitions and not wise enough to focus their limited powers on one competition.

Knee-jerk thread you're after mate. This isn't it.

Get a grip.

Tonight's performance was such a brilliant attacking display, especially in the second-half. As JD says, we could afford to draw one game - and that was it. I wouldn't have taken it any other way, either.

It had everything you would ever want in a game, and much more! We were dominant in the first-half, but nowhere near as clinical as we should be in-front of goal. Yossi had at least 3 chances to put us 1-up, but failed to convert any of them. The defence was always alot tighter in the first-half, too.

Now, in the second-half the shackles were really released, and that's when things started to go our way again ... for 25 or so minutes. The attacking display was alot better, but because of that we were left short at the back. Then conceded ... 3 more times.

Torres and Benayoun took their goals extremely well, and to be honest I wouldn't be gutted if Stevie was out for the season, because Yossi has been impeccable lately.

Credit to Arshavin, who is a phenomenal player. Very few people have scored 4 against us at Anfield, and this guy has only just arrived in the Premier League. Excellent player and a credit to the League already. Also, a big well done to Arsenal who really gave us a run for our money. Two in-form teams going head-to-head always makes for a good showing! ;D

Anyway, as I said earlier, drawing with Arsenal who are one of the meanest attacking forces in Europe is no shame whatsoever, and if they put in a performance like that against United, then I have no doubt in my mind that United will crack and lose the game.

All in all, a good performance minus a few individual errors that eventually led to the goals. But I loved watching every second of it all the same.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,128 posts | 3375 
      Reply #175: Apr 22, 2009 02:09:40 am

Well by the time this game against Arsenal came about we were already out of the Champions League, so for the last 7 days I'm pretty certain that the entire club has been focusing on the Premier League. Today we dropped points because of indiviual errors, not because we were concentrating on both the Premiership and Europe.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,678 posts | 6975 
      Reply #176: Apr 22, 2009 02:19:18 am
      Usual suspects popping by for some knee jerking again.

And a couple of secret mancs as well in to the bargain.

People throwing in the towel are not true reds. Fact.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #177: Apr 22, 2009 04:10:55 am
      What an amazing match we have once again been treated to. Win or lose the title race, nobody can complain that the Liverpool boys have not provided the most pulsating football of all the teams in the Prem this season.
      Since that Middlesborough loss.......... no doubt the entire attitude has changed and we have been going for broke every match. That never say die approach, has seen the boys play an attacking brand of football week in and week out, the type of football that wins titles.

There will of course be risks associated with this style, and we have had to suffer the consequences of those risks on a couple of occasions. Last night was incredible really, I thought we dominated the game and easily deserved all 3 points, but to their credit Arsenal did play an incredibly efficent brand of counter attacking, scoring on every chance they were presented.

Hats off to Torres and Benayoun for some nice goals, but I thought Kuyt was equally brilliant, in the way he set goals up. All the boys played well, and quite honestly even the defensive mistakes were not howlers, I mean often when players head the ball or stick out a leg to clear it away from goal it goes to an opponent. Arshavin still had plenty to do even after collecting the ball, sometimes a forward has a night when he can do no wrong, and this was surely one of those nights for Arshavin. As an aside, did anyone else notice how many bad fouls Arshavin got away without drawing a yellow card, and on one occasion possibly something more severe?

With all our chances in front of goal, many stopped by Fabianski, there was one noticeable save that reminded me of how important it is to have players on each post for corners, when their fullback headed a certain goal off the line from a Torres attempt. I think we should take a leaf, but thats a discussion for another thread.

All we can do now is keep playing this attacking brand and hope that luck finally deserts the Mancs, surely they have worn it all out by now and the way they have been playing they will need luck to beat Spurs and Arsenal in the run in. Their other games look straightforward, but is anything ever straightforward in the Prem League?

Tonight we all become Portsmouth fans for 98 minutes, allowing for the fact that if United are not in front after 90, they will be given the customary extra time to try and find a solution. The ultimate irony would be to see Portsmouth win it in the 97th minute, with a Peter Crouch header.  haha

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #178: Apr 22, 2009 04:14:36 am
      This is football and individual errors are bound to happen. We're unlucky that we made 3 errors in this game where we scored 4. Instead, we could actually have made an error each in 3 other games and it would be a different story.
      We can be proud of the team's performances since that win at Old Trafford. We have scored like 29 goals conceding only 12 or something like that.

There is belief that we can go on to win/draw a game even though we have fallen behind 1-0,2-0 or 3-0 down. Now, there should be a belief that we can still win our first Premier League title even though we may be behind tomorrow.
      kendored
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #179: Apr 22, 2009 04:41:25 am
      got too give credit when and were its due,great game from both teams.still the best team to watch,only lost two games all season,good luck too both teams this season,still some points too be won and lost,I've got the faith,96 might just see us through. we will never walk alone.lfc4ever
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,335 posts | 184 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #180: Apr 22, 2009 05:17:49 am
      Get the shirt off Arshavin.

You f**king wish.

well i won't say i wouldn't like us having a player like arshavin :)
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #181: Apr 22, 2009 06:16:18 am

Did you watch the match?
      « Last Edit: Apr 22, 2009 10:02:32 am by Venison 86 »
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #182: Apr 22, 2009 07:04:47 am
      I have to say I was extremely disappointed with last night's result, but cannot fault the attitude of the team.

The way we went about the first half was magnificent, we went after them from the off and they simply couldn't cope with the harrying from our midfield and attacking players. It felt like they couldn't hold onto the ball, and the pressure we were putting them under was intense. I couldn't believe we went in at half-time 1-0 down after Masch was uncharacteristically caught in possession, but I still thought we'd win. Arsenal weren't able to construct any opportunities, whilst we were poppig shots in all over the place!

The second half was a madman's game, at 2-1 I was praying that we'd kill off the match, but other individual errors cost us. We were forced to attack all-out, and it seems that no club in the world can keep us out when we're trying to score - a massive improvement from earlier in the season where teams were parking the bus and scraping 0-0's!

Players who stood out for me were obviously Torres, who was scoring and creating his own chances. Benayoun - for me, he played one of his best ever matches in a red shirt. The effort he was making to chase down the ball, his technical close-control when beating a man, and of course his vital goal in stoppage time. I felt he was man of the match for us. Kuyt was equally heroic, and when the pressing on the opponents begins with the effort these three players put in, it isn't surprising we had them pinned back for large periods of the game.

Anyway, top of the league again, and of course the title is still on. We remain more or less in the same position as we were before, needing United to slip up twice before the season is out. Our form is tremendous, if we continue attacking the way we have we should win the matches we have left.
      « Last Edit: Apr 22, 2009 08:21:47 am by ayrton77 »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #183: Apr 22, 2009 07:15:22 am
      Usual suspects popping by for some knee jerking again.

And a couple of secret mancs as well in to the bargain.

People throwing in the towel are not true reds. Fact.

FACT !

Quick Reply