Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Your thoughts about the end of this season

Read 7513 times
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Your thoughts about the end of this season
      May 01, 2009 10:49:34 pm
      I was wondering about the reactions to the different possible outcomes to the end of the season,whether we win no.19 or the scum win a CL and Premiership Title !
      if we win no.19 then I for one and everyone one on here will be ecstatic (well maybe not the Rafa Bashers).

Domination is really what United have had, for around 10-15 yrs League wise, but WE DID IT FIRST ! and domination always comes to an end, as ours did, as sure as eggs are eggs, so will United's !

If scumchester were to do the double SO WHAT ! it gives them an 18th League Title, WE DID IT FIRST, a 4th CL title , WE DID IT FIRST and now have 5 !

They might win their 3rd CL title in 11 yrs, WE DID IT IN 5 ! it may well be their 4th in 41yrs ( F**k me, we won 5 in 29 !)

I truly believe that Fergie would retire if united did the double, but he'd hang on if WE won the League.
      Uniteds domination will end in my opinion When Fergie leaves and maybe the sooner the better but i'd pick a League win over fergie retiring anyday !
      All united's success in my opinion has come since the introduction of the Premier League and the mega bucks that followed and since that date we've been playing catch up and now we're on their shirt tales !
      « Last Edit: May 02, 2009 02:23:50 am by redkenny »
      MsGerrard
      Re: Will it still feel the same when we're back on top?
      Reply #1: May 01, 2009 11:05:02 pm
      What's with the HUGE GAP in your post Frizz?  ???
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Re: Will it still feel the same when we're back on top?
      Reply #2: May 02, 2009 01:02:07 am

Agreed. I thought there was something wring with forum there for  a minute! I guess he was giving us time to think about how we're the greatest club in the world, and the fact that we will dominate dominate dominate for years to come...
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Your thoughts about the end of this season
      Reply #3: May 02, 2009 02:38:49 am
      This season has nothing to do with the season of 2007 Frizzby. I cut that silly gap away for you too.  ;)

But yes, you could imagine that what we might achieve this season, could easily have an influence on other teams around us. The arch rivals so to speak.

Whatever happens, I'll be happy with the progress we've made though. I don't care about anyone else.

Stuff the mancs and anyone else. We're getting stronger and I'm confident our final points will tell that. By the end of this season we'll have a platform to build on. And there's no harm in saying that there might be a title to go with it. It's still not out of the question...

redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #4: May 02, 2009 03:44:04 am
      This season has been a big leap from the previouses. This season has been a landmark of firsts. Also, quite simply, this season has been a season where we have been involved in the title race, and still in with a great shout for the title, after 19 years. Our intention at the beginning of the season, just like every other, was to qualify for the Champions League, but who expected us to be still in with this great shout at this stage of the season? As difficult as it went by, we pushed ourselves, the players gave their all.

Last season, we were only at the top of the table once. But this season, we’re top  on a pretty huge chunk of the season. This signifies progress; the Rafalution is beginning to take its shape. And at this point in time, United have a amazingly tough run-in, and may just crumble under the pressure. 4 games left, OK, not that big an amount at all. Our records against the big teams have also improved, we’re top in the ‘Big Four’ league, and we’re unbeaten. But put it this way, I feel that the draws have cost our season, OK, I fear. Because the season is still not over.

The only disappointments this season was the signings of Keane, blame it on Parry, good he was sacked, and possibly Dossena. Riera’s blown hot and cold, but I’ll give him a pass grade, considering that he has been productive and magical at times for us. Our greatest regret this season, was not taking advantage in the January Februrary period. This needs some addressing!

United, back from Japan, buoyed but tired from their excursions. Within a little less than 2 months, they practically surged ahead from us to leave us scratching our heads and looking at disbelief. Fast forward, 14 March 2009, where we convincingly came back to win at Old Trafford 4-1. And then United fell to Fulham 2-0. And we’re back in it again. Scored 66 goals, and just lost 2. United have 4, mind you, and normally if we have this form towards the end we’ll be cruising to the finish line. Not this time. United start of at Riverside today, and it’s a dodgy ground for them. Add to that Wigan, City, Arsenal and Hull. This gives way to a potentially mouth watering end to the season.

And right now, 3 points away, the season edging to the close. We’re still in 2nd, with a great chance of nicking the title. Chins up, heads up. The race is not over yet! :scarf:

Whatever happens, Proud to be a Red!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #5: May 02, 2009 06:39:30 am
      This has to be the best season I've seen since I started watching football.
      We have been and are still in the title race since August and that's a very very good sign. If I'm not mistaken, we haven't been lower than 3rd place all season and this is a big improvement. Last season, we went top after 4 games, beating Derby County 6-0 and people were saying we're going to win. Now, we have been on top/top 2 since August. This shows that we're becoming the top force we once used to be but this time, stay there.

We're performed extremely well against the other Big Four guys. Beating Man United and Chelsea, drawing with Arsenal twice. 14 points out of 18, is a good result and shows that we can compete with the best. No doubt Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard are our main stars but this season, we've also seen Yossi Benayoun, Dirk Kuyt, Xabi Alonso, Javier Mascherano(still has some side effects from the olympics) and Fabio Aurelio at the best in a Red shirt. Our future looks bright as well with Emilliano Insua and David N'gog impressing. Our manager and captain signing contracts.

There is a chance we would end up trophyless but every Liverpool fan can be proud of the fact that we've made the title race interesting. Yes, we may be criticised for letting a 8 point gap between us and United go but we caught up with them, didn't we? We've had so many 4 goals games since we lost to Boro.
      We can also be proud of our team and fighting spirit. Coming back from 1 or 2 goals down against Man United(twice), Man City, Wigan, Portsmouth, Hull City, Marseille, Chelsea, Arsenal(twice) to draw or win is simply remarkable - a feat which I doubt any team can match. We've also gave Real Madrid a Champions League lesson.

Besides all that, we can still win the Premier League, our 19th in our history as the race is not over. When Rafa said of his 5-year plan, he meant it. He'll bring us number 19 and also 20, 21,22 and so on. We are still in the race and we deserve a trophy for our performances this season.

Proud to be a Liverpool fan.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #6: May 02, 2009 06:48:33 am
      Agreed. I thought there was something wring with forum there for  a minute! I guess he was giving us time to think about how we're the greatest club in the world, and the fact that we will dominate dominate dominate for years to come...

Very sorry about the editting MsG and Gow I had massive conncetion problems last night and had to retype it once before my only option was to post it and re-edit it but then lost my connection again, sorry guy's !

OH and a massive thanks to RedKenny for tidying it up !

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #7: May 02, 2009 08:51:06 am
       Whatever the outcome is this season which I believe has been a season of progress.I will as usual look to see what new signings are being made over the summer, and eagerly await the new season to start with the expectation that the MIGHTY REDS will win the league and every other cup we enter.I have always had that belief in the REDS and see no reason to change.-P.S. I still believe we can win the league this season,its too early to throw the towel in.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #8: May 02, 2009 09:20:00 am
      Simillar thread already exists.  I think I asked what would people think if we finished second.

Stuff everyone else its out of our hand now.  What I do know is that it's May and we're still in with a chance of winning the title. That's progress and that's all we can ask for.
      Sweeney The Red
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 170 posts |
      Reply #9: May 02, 2009 10:44:23 am
      We'll win number 19 this season.

I don't have to think about anything else. ;)
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #10: May 02, 2009 10:50:25 am
      Simillar thread already exists.  I think I asked what would people think if we finished second.

Stuff everyone else its out of our hand now.  What I do know is that it's May and we're still in with a chance of winning the title. That's progress and that's all we can ask for.

Didn't Shankly said at Liverpool we never accept second best?

Progress for me means winning the league, not being in the title fight in May or whatever of such bollocks. ;)
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #11: May 02, 2009 11:55:30 am
      I'll be really pissed if they catch up in the amount of titles won. I thought by the time they got anywhere near to us we'd have won another, but how times change.

We all know that today you stand a much better chance if you have the cash.

We should have won it this year, but that's being petty, and the team deserve all the accolades that come their way. From the outset of the season we threw down the gauntlet, most outside of the club said we had no chance, we who believed knew better than to write Rafa of.

whatever happens now is in the lap of the gods, and I can't wait for next season to start, as we have improved year on year, why should next year be any different. Well done lads for a fabulous season.....

johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #12: May 02, 2009 12:40:37 pm
      If we win our remaining games especially in the fashion of the last few games I think we have to say that finishing that way means we have improved big time. If we happen to win the league as well that is a bonus and one we would all gladly accept. To those who think we drew too many games I understand your frustration but if our 2 best players had played more games the outcome may well have been different.The fact is its May were still in with a shout so I think we should all be very positive about our progress.If we could only get UTD to the last game of the season when Hull may need to win then it could turn out to be the best end of season chase for some time.So come on Boro you have a good record against UTD and you need the points.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #13: May 02, 2009 02:16:06 pm
      Didn't Shankly said at Liverpool we never accept second best?

Progress for me means winning the league, not being in the title fight in May or whatever of such bollocks. ;)

AYE !

(W Shankly)
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #14: May 03, 2009 08:32:37 am
      At the beginning of the season all I wanted was a meaningful title challenge, for too long we were wrote off by the time Christmas came around. This season its May and we're still in with a shout. I think our status in the league is back where every team fear us, that includes the other 3. The little blip in January is the only reason we haven't won the league and that means next season, with just a little tweaking, could be our year. The team has come on in leaps and bounds and although we'll be disappointed if the scum do wrap up the league, we can take solice in the fact that we now know that we have the ability to match them and hopefully pass them.
      Roland G
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #15: May 04, 2009 06:26:57 am
      Confidence was a factor and we drew too many games. We lacked a little magic and poor finishing cost us dearly. However, considering that Torres was missing for a large part of the season and we still managed to maintain a title challenge and go top, that is hugely impressive.

We have progressed massively in footballing terms. We have evolved as a team and its showing on the field. We're are playing some real top drawer quality stuff and have been breathtaking at some times. The confidence is high and the fringe players have performed when required to do so. More of the same and the title won't be far off at all . Not that its done and dusted this season yet!
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #16: May 04, 2009 09:44:32 am
      I dont think anyone means were happy being second place, first is first and all that... but this is a progression thing and we are making progress. We all know we should have this title well wrapped up and thats what hurts just a couple of them draws turned to wins would have done it. But were set up for next year already  bar a bit of cover up front. This team will trouble anyone and if we sort out the fitness niggles i see us doing well. Winning the premier league is not an easy thing , all things come into play not to mention the finances, so all in all i say have a little more patience , were not far off now. Utds time is coming to an end.
      mulki
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts | -2 
      • You"ll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #17: May 04, 2009 02:40:03 pm
      proud to be liverpool fan!!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #18: May 06, 2009 12:36:14 am
      My thoughts on the end of the season are that we are a much improved side, and showing genuine title ambition.

And thank god we didn't listen to those people in February who wanted Rafa out and O'Neill in.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #19: May 06, 2009 01:05:30 am
      And thank god we didn't listen to those people in February who wanted Rafa out

Oh yeah! I'd totally forgot about those people. Sorry, not people. Experts!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #20: May 06, 2009 01:27:26 am
      At the start of the season, like every season, I expected Liverpool to win the league. Although still possible, I'm back to doubting our chances of landing the title this year. I think the signings have been a total let down to the club and manager and I wouldn't be in the slightest bit disappointed if all of last year's signings were no longer at the club come the new season. The cup competitions have been a huge disappointment going out too early in all of them. The reserves haven't been anywhere near as good as last year but the youth has done us proud with another youth cup final.

The biggest achievement has been our form in the league though. We've gone a lot closer than we have done in recent years. Although still heavily reliant on Gerrard and Torres, we've had players like Alonso, Benayoun, Kuyt, Aurelio give us extra attacking options a fair bit. We've added a new attacking mentality in recent weeks although a few cautious weeks in the middle of the season may of cost us too many points. But the attacking mentality has seen us blow away United and Chelsea twice each. It's seen us play our best football under Benitez.

So despite no trophy coming to Anfield (not certain yet I know) I think this season has been Benitez' finest in charge of Liverpool. There's a sense of optimism around Liverpool Football Club again that it won't be another season of the same old boring Liverpool, which at the start of the season I must admit I was expecting. I think the final few months of the 08/09 campaign has shown everybody in the world, including Rafa Benitez, that when we attack sides we're the best in the world. If we take this mentality into the new season then I can't see any reason why the league won't be coming home to Anfield.

And yes at the start of the season I did want Benitez gone if the league wasn't won. But that isn't gonna happen and I think next year we'll see why.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #21: May 06, 2009 01:42:43 am
      At the start of the season, like every season, I expected Liverpool to win the league. Although still possible, I'm back to doubting our chances of landing the title this year. I think the signings have been a total let down to the club and manager and I wouldn't be in the slightest bit disappointed if all of last year's signings were no longer at the club come the new season.

Totally agree.  All of them have been a complete waste of time.

Although still heavily reliant on Gerrard and Torres, we've had players like Alonso, Benayoun, Kuyt, Aurelio give us extra attacking options a fair bit.

Not too sure I would say we were still heavily reliant on Gerrard or Torres.  They're both world class players and any team in the world would miss players of there quality but I believe we can get results without either of them now, never mind the fact they have only both played in roughly 25% of our games this season, whereas I wouldn't have thought that 12 months ago.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #22: May 06, 2009 01:50:00 am
      Not too sure I would say we were still heavily reliant on Gerrard or Torres.  They're both world class players and any team in the world would miss players of there quality but I believe we can get results without either of them now, never mind the fact they have only both played in roughly 25% of our games this season, whereas I wouldn't have thought that 12 months ago.

Fair point mate and obviously every side in the world would miss players with as much quality as Gerrard or Torres but I do think we're still heavily reliant on them. When they're playing I think that's where it shows more than actually when they're not playing because when they're not in the side the other players seem to step up to the plate but then rely on Gerrard and/or Torres when they're in the side. Just seems to me that our lads are happy to shift responsibility when our numbers 8 and 9 are in the side.

Quick Reply