Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Newcastle United

Read 27536 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Newcastle United
      May 24, 2009 11:10:07 pm
      A salutary lesson in what happens when you chop and change managers every five minutes.

A lesson in what happens when you pay ridiculously over the odds for players that other clubs baulk at (eg. Michael Owen).

Comeuppance for sticking by spineless thugs  of players (eg. Joey Barton).

I don't think they will come straight back up either? Anybody think they're going to walk the Championship?  38 cup finals they've got if you ask me.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Re: Newcastle United
      Reply #1: May 24, 2009 11:19:05 pm
      What about the other 8 games they're gonna play in the Championship mate? ;)

I don't think they'll come back up instantly because the squad will be sold and those who are left just aren't good enough. Plus it's a tough league to get out off, just ask Southampton who couldn't get out of it one way so decided to get out of it the relegation way :laugh:

I've got a feeling they'll look at Alan Curbishly, George Burley or Roberto Martinez as their next manager though, if Shearer doesn't stay on. The problem with them being in that division though is when they come up they'll make out it's the biggest achievement in the club's history and hold the manager as highly as they do Keegan because it was him who got them out of the old Division 1 (or two depending on how old you want it :laugh:).
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,452 posts | 8660 
      Reply #2: May 25, 2009 03:41:36 am
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #3: May 25, 2009 04:33:37 am

macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #4: May 25, 2009 11:31:07 am
      Sorry but Shearer has got not much time to turn things around...
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #5: May 25, 2009 12:20:06 pm
      Such a shame...  ;D
      LFCMau
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,747 posts | 11 
      • 100% LFC, without doubt!
      Reply #6: May 25, 2009 12:37:46 pm
      too bad for them eh..  ::) 8)
      Bowlesy88
      • Forum Patrik Berger

• 200 posts |
      Reply #7: May 25, 2009 01:06:54 pm
      I'm not one of those people who likes to see big clubs go down, unless it was spurs. but i think a season in the championship will do them good. get rid of the majority of of the first team, only the local lads will stay like s.taylor, a.carrol and s.harper. get rid of the likes of owen oba and barton, and get in fresh young championship talent, the likes of delph, beckford, fryatt, paterson, ledley and naughton. if shearer stays on that will go a long way to attracting these players, i no some may be destined for the EPL but at newcastle they are guaranteed first team football.

although every game will be tough, every team, every player will want to beat them, simply because they will be seen as a big scalp.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #8: May 25, 2009 01:47:29 pm
      Born 6.30pm in Newcastle Infirmary last night...

johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #9: May 25, 2009 02:32:19 pm
      You cant call yourself a BIG club and yet havent won anything for decades. They brought in Wise and let Keegan go they deserve to go down for that poor judgement alone. Leeds are a bigger and more succesful club than Newcastle and look ,where are they now.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #10: May 25, 2009 03:20:15 pm
      Pound for pound the worst club in England.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #11: May 25, 2009 03:44:32 pm
      Definitely have some pity for them, they have been in free fall since Keegan left the club about 5 years back. With Ashley as the owner, made things seem even more impossible. They need 1 point to stay up today, just one goal to probably do the task, but can't do it either. Sorry, you have the greatest fans behind us, but deserve to go down.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #12: May 25, 2009 08:51:19 pm
      They are going to have to pretty much rebuild the team. Players like Owen, Duff, Butt, Taylor, Jonas, Coloccini, Nolan, Løvenkrands, Martins and Viduka will all have to be sold or released to cut down their wages. They will have to buy a bunch of players who know the Championship. I think they won't be back in the Premiership until 2013 at least. Boro will be in better position because they got a lot of good young players in their system which they can bring up but you have to be careful because we seen Southampton try to do that and now they are in serious trouble.

I think for the Championship it self this is great to get two club of this size and reputation will get more attention than other years past.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #13: May 25, 2009 09:06:42 pm
      I seriously think they are in free-fall now, I've seen much better football played in the Championship recently so I reckon its a very slippery slope for the Barcodes this season coming.  As been said before, when Keegan left the rot started to set in.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,452 posts | 8660 
      Reply #14: May 25, 2009 09:18:12 pm
      What have Newcastle and Chubby Brown both got in common?

Both can be seen in Blackpool next season.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #15: May 25, 2009 09:23:32 pm
      And both make a living out of fat cu*ts...
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,452 posts | 8660 
      Reply #16: May 25, 2009 09:25:03 pm
      And both make a living out of fat cu*ts...

:lmao: Now that is funny!
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #17: May 25, 2009 09:26:39 pm

:lmao: Cheers - your use of the word 'c**t' outside The Cabbage yesterday must have inspired me! :D
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #18: May 26, 2009 02:40:30 am
      Feel sorry for them tbh..... a club with big support, great stadium, passionate fans.... plus we can score fair few goals past them.....
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #19: May 26, 2009 02:51:03 am
      I'm not one of those people who likes to see big clubs go down

Thats alright then because Newcastle aren't a big club and anyone who says they are needs to learn what a big club is.

About bloody time they went down and I hope they don't come back up, will serve them right for changing manager every 5 minutes and standing by that c**t Barton.

Although I do find it amusing how they always think it's the manager that is not doing a good job. If a team goes through that many managers in such a short space of time then it's obvious it's down to the players because they didn't perform for a single one of the managers. But hey, who cares, let's just go sack the manager :laugh:

They have become a joke.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #20: May 26, 2009 04:16:15 am
      Maybe Santiago  Nunez can bring them back up.

He took them to Europe on the big screen, so promotion should be a walk in the park.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #21: May 26, 2009 07:52:49 am
      Perplexed by some of the comments about not wanting big clubs to go down.  I'm not too sure Newcastle are all that big a club.  You look at bigger cities such as Leeds that are outside the Premiership. Wolves - it's about time they got back in the big time for instance so no harm that they are taking Newcastle's expense.

Newcastle's delusion of grandeur is what got them in this mess. How much did they spend on Owen? £16 million. 

Surely if us, as European Cup holders, were baulking at that price then they should have thought similar.  Their board have been trying to play with the big boys, but they haven't got a clue about success and they rightfully went down for changing managers with the wind.  Not how to run a football club.  I think they will be down there for a while personally.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #22: May 26, 2009 08:10:44 am
      It's true. They've thought they were Johnny Big Bollocks for a long time (they finished second a couple of times in the 90's?) and have paid the price for trying to keep up with the neighbours.

The only reason I think they may have a fighting chance of coming back up is their fanbase and large stadium. Some Championship clubs will probably slip up if there's an atmosphere, although the plazzy flags were a piss take. :D

On the contrary though, they might be the biggest scalps too. Could definitely go either way.

Quick Reply