Newcastle United

Read 27690 times
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Re: Newcastle United
      Reply #92: Oct 24, 2011 05:21:24 pm
      They are playing different football than they are last season, but that isn't just down to Andy Carroll.

Nolan & Barton also had a massive influence on how they played last season. Not to mention the loss of Enrique who is one of the best LB's in the PL at the moment. Cabaye and Ben Arfa are completely different players to Barton and Nolan, one would argue more technically gifted than the previous who were more direct, which undoubtedly suited Carroll's game more.

I wouldn't say they are playing fantastic football at the moment, they were lucky to win against Wigan  the other day. But they have undoubtedly changed their style of play with the outgoings and incoming's over Summer. They've done fantastic so far this season, however I don't see them being in the top 6 come Christmas.
      Bier
      Reply #93: Oct 24, 2011 05:24:03 pm
      Krul is really good this season isn't he.
      And I like Demba Ba. Not the best striker in the world, but gets the job done. And they got him for free didn't they? Would've looked good for us.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #94: Oct 24, 2011 05:34:46 pm
      West Ham released him when they got relegated. He was only on a one year contract. So yes he was free. Bet that made Ashley a happy man. 
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #95: Oct 24, 2011 09:50:26 pm
      I have nothing against Carroll, was just curious if their style differed from when Carroll was at the club to now.

They used Carroll as a target player mainly as they had the players back then? but now... they don't have players who can cross as good as Barton or Enrique as well as no Nolan to latch on to the flick ons. Was just wondering what kind of style they're using. Atm, it seems to be working as they're 4th place.

Thanks for the replies!
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #96: Oct 30, 2011 10:07:26 pm

The five reasons behind Newcastle United’s unexpected revival

Newcastle United's ascent to fourth place in the Premier League has taken everyone except the most ardent Geordie supporter by surprise. Our man in the North-East looks at the reasons behind the Toon turnaround.

By Luke Edwards
      30 Oct 2011

1) Attention to detail

Alan Pardew is happy to admit he is a statistics geek, devouring computer data from every Newcastle performance. He is able to spot any drop in individual performance, but also identify where the team’s positioning and delivery needs to improve, as well as the types of runs his attacking players are failing to make.

Pardew does not restrict his analysis to his own side. Sticking to the mantra that to fail to prepare is to prepare to fail, United’s backroom staff spend hours looking at tapes of their Premier League rivals to ensure they know almost as much about how the opposition like to play as their own side. It is an area the club has invested heavily in since returning to the top flight.

2) Refusal to accept their lofty position is a false one

A few days after Newcastle’s 2-2 draw with Tottenham Hotspur I received a call from a player to tell me a few members of the squad had been less than enamoured with my match report. As well as showing good taste, if slightly unusual given the stereotypical liking for tabloids, in the choice of newspaper read, some players were annoyed by my suggestion they were not strong enough to finish in the top four this season.

Where once this could be dismissed as Newcastle’s arrogant sense of entitlement, this season it shows that, while most have been surprised by the team’s excellent start, there is steel like self-belief among the players they are not simply going to melt away as the pressure on them to stay among the European contenders grows.

3) The return of Hatem Ben Arfa

A difficult character, he was watched by virtually every top Premier League club at Marseille before eventually moving to Newcastle, initially on loan, in August last year. A brief glimpse of his ability was cut short by a career-threatening double leg break 12 months ago, but his return to the squad has felt like a new superstar signing for Pardew.

The France international is being eased into things after so long on the sidelines and has looked short of sharpness, but his very presence has scared opposition defenders whenever he has come off the bench. A potential match winner who has cranked up competition for places even while short of best form, one seasoned United campaigner described him as “the most naturally gifted player” they have ever shared a dressing room. Will play in the hole behind the main striker, a traditional number ten role English defenders always struggle to control.

4) Ran by Cockneys, looked after by Geordies

It was Sir Bobby Robson who said you have to understand what Newcastle United means to those who follow it to be successful as its manager. Born and raised in Durham, Robson claimed he had black and white blood, while Kevin Keegan had a unique bond after his days as a player.

The people who run Newcastle United can never claim to have that special affinity and the Cockney Mafia tag has been used as a stick to beat the Mike Ashley regime for the last four years, but the current set up has Geordies in key positions.

Chief Scout Graham Carr, the man responsible for much of the player recruitment that has improved Pardew’s squad and head of a far-reaching scouting network, has as much an eye for talent as those who will blossom in a unique football environment. Pardew, meanwhile, believes one of his best decisions was to appoint John Carver as his assistant, a Geordie who performed the same role under Robson. Along with another North-East native, coach Steve Stone, he ensures the players are constantly reminded of what the paying public demands from them.

5) Harmony behind the scenes

Newcastle’s players prided themselves on succeeding against the odds last season, a them and us mentality fostered by former manager Chris Hughton and policed by influential skipper Kevin Nolan. The split between playing staff and board, however, was a chasm and there was bad feeling on both sides even during their relatively successful return to the Premier League.

At the centre of the tension was the removal of Hughton as manager, but also the board’s reluctance to agree a deal for bonus payments. With the departure of Nolan and chief agitator Joey Barton, a new deal was struck in the summer without fuss and managing director Derek Llambias is now a welcome visitor to the training ground, even arriving unexpectedly at a recent team bonding meal to pay the bill. The whole club is united, not just the dressing room.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/8858745/The-five-reasons-behind-Newcastle-Uniteds-unexpected-revival.html
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #97: Oct 30, 2011 10:12:06 pm
      Good article that macred, thanks for posting :)
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #98: Nov 01, 2011 02:01:32 am
      How long can they keep up this form for?

Ba is a class act. We should have gone for him in the summer!
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #99: Nov 01, 2011 03:52:19 am
      They've got a good amount of very nice players.

Rated Cabaye at Lille, he's a very good midfielder. Tiote has shown already his class, Ba when in form can be scary as well. Their organized defensively and playing with massive confidence.

Pardew deserves high praise, even if/when they do fall back to life.
      Shemy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 591 posts |
      Reply #100: Nov 01, 2011 05:21:41 am
      not sure if they can keep it up in the end, not sure if they have the necessary depth to compete among the other 6 major clubs....they are going to miss Tiote and Demba for nearly a month midway in the season, thats one of there key pieces in midfield, along with arguably there only good striker

but still gotta give credit where credit is due, Pardrew has done  a great job early in the season with em
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #101: Nov 01, 2011 06:42:43 am
       It is early days for Newcastle yet,it was only a couple of seasons ago Blackpool were setting the league alight and look at them now.I still think Newcastle will finish mid table.
      robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #102: Nov 01, 2011 07:08:44 am
      It is early days for Newcastle yet,it was only a couple of seasons ago Blackpool were setting the league alight and look at them now.I still think Newcastle will finish mid table.

fully agree with this, they have had a fairly easy start to the league as well... its a bubble that will burst.. fair play to them for now but i cant see it lasting when they have a run of tougher games.. (and a stuffing at our place in december)
      robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #103: Nov 01, 2011 07:55:37 am
      Just looked newcastle's next four games are everton, man city , Chelsea , man utd

That will give a good indication where they are at
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #104: Nov 01, 2011 08:05:13 am
      Just looked newcastle's next four games are everton, man city , Chelsea , man utd

That will sort the men out from the boys,I cannot see them getting much change out of those 12 points.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #105: Nov 01, 2011 08:15:51 am
      But I wouldn't mind Newcastle getting some points off against them all, to be honest.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #106: Nov 01, 2011 08:34:01 am
      But I wouldn't mind Newcastle getting some points off against them all, to be honest.
      That is fair comment Adryan,if they got a point each from City,Chelsea and United it would certainly help our cause.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #107: Nov 01, 2011 09:03:22 am
      Stoke 1 v 3 Newcastle Utd

We'll see how they cope with the next handful of games, but up to now, they'e done brilliantly
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #108: Nov 01, 2011 10:12:59 am
      Credit where it's due they have been excellent. Even if they do fall back, as long as they stay prominent for a European spot, they would do wonders for the credibility of the club after their last season in the league.

Pardew has taken a lot of stick at the start of his reign but he has turned them right around.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 166 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #109: Nov 01, 2011 01:08:56 pm

They had played Arse & Spur so far (both games drawn) among the top 6/7 in the table, they still did well though.
      That will sort the men out from the boys,I cannot see them getting much change out of those 12 points.

Ho, ho, ho,  :mad:

Surely they are going to drop some point there.
      robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #110: Nov 01, 2011 01:18:08 pm
      They had played Arse & Spur so far (both games drawn) among the top 6/7 in the table, they still did well though.

yes  they did play arsenal on the opening day when they were in crisis... dont get me wrong though they have had a great start to the season.. if they are still up there after those games then maybe we should take them seriously
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #111: Nov 01, 2011 04:21:50 pm
      They have United, Chelsea and City coming soon. That will test them.

If they can take anything like 4 points from those games then I will see them as a threat.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #112: Nov 01, 2011 04:39:21 pm
      They've been great, but also injury free for the most part. Let's see how their depth holds up.

Still, very impressed by the barcodes.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 166 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #113: Nov 03, 2011 01:19:56 pm
      They've been great, but also injury free for the most part. Let's see how their depth holds up.

Still, very impressed by the barcodes.

Once the bubble burst, how they recover will separate the boys from man.

Can't wait for that, then one less opponent for top 4, eh?
      sniperwolf4b3ll3ami3
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 541 posts |
      • mad about liverpool
      Reply #114: Nov 03, 2011 08:18:55 pm
      How long can they keep up this form for?

Ba is a class act. We should have gone for him in the summer!
      ba is good but nothing special..he is reaping the rewards of the form of cabaye and tiote :mad:

Quick Reply