Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

England National Football Team

Read 364041 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: England National Football Team
      Reply #2277: May 27, 2016 09:35:59 pm
      Am i crazy that England have been clearly second best? How are they sitting back and can't breakthrough Australia unless it's a counter attack?

Every time they try to pass it forward they can't find space and lose it. How are they expecting to do well against the best teams in the world at the Euros?
      Australia have not scored a goal. If it were not for the OG from the reserve CB it would be 2-0 and England wasted a lot more chances than Australia. I don't think either of the goals were from counter attacks.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2278: May 27, 2016 09:45:20 pm
      Australia have not scored a goal. If it were not for the OG from the reserve CB it would be 2-0 and England wasted a lot more chances than Australia. I don't think either of the goals were from counter attacks.

The second one was when they had a breakaway and the first one was a deflected cross that fell to Rashford. 3 other England chances were when they won the ball and counter attacked.

Australia controlled it in the middle and England couldn't break through our defence when they tried. We just don't have a striker we can rely on to make an impact with runs up front given Robbie Kruse has been injured for so long and McLaren was on debut.
      paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 684 posts | 91 
      Reply #2279: May 27, 2016 09:46:18 pm
      Awkward but professional there from Henderson when asked about Marcus Rashford. (Itv interview).

Hendo needs to get back to 2014 standard though and quick, I'm sure he's got it in him.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2280: May 27, 2016 10:03:48 pm
      The second one was when they had a breakaway and the first one was a deflected cross that fell to Rashford. 3 other England chances were when they won the ball and counter attacked.

Australia controlled it in the middle and England couldn't break through our defence when they tried. We just don't have a striker we can rely on to make an impact with runs up front given Robbie Kruse has been injured for so long and McLaren was on debut.
      I can't be bothered to check to confirm so I will take you word for it with the goals. The fact still remains, we won a game when some people said we were not playing that well... it just shows the quality of Englands strikers. I am not too worried they didn't fight to much in the middle, it is a friendly so there won't be any major challenges in that area.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #2281: May 28, 2016 11:13:42 am
      Watched most of last night's game.  Wasn't overly impressed by Henderson or Milner.  Clyne did okay.  Thought Smith did fairly well - started a little slowly but was full of running throughout the game. 

Rashford took his goal well, Sterling's still sh*te, and Rooney hit his strike well.

England do have a chance in the Euro's because they have got capable goalscorers.  Dismal defence but they will face a lot of Euro dross who will have equally bad defences.

Seeing Sturridge again, miserable on the bench nursing a knock, I genuinely think his time is running out with both England and Liverpool.  Just a gut feeling - don't shoot me down!

(Although I think Roy will take him because there are plenty of average defenders he can leave at home instead).
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2282: May 28, 2016 11:22:04 am
      Seeing Sturridge again, miserable on the bench nursing a knock, I genuinely think his time is running out with both England and Liverpool.  Just a gut feeling - don't shoot me down!
      I think Sturridge injuries are making him depressed. I don't imagine Liverpool are in any rush to lose Sturridge. I don't think he will be first team striker for England though, but he should go in case he is needed later on in the competition as an impact sub. I can imagine if Hodgeson has half a brain he will cut Hendo and Delph out the squad and let Rooney play in midfield in some games. I also think even though we are short in CB, dier has to be cut from the squad. We would be better with Jagielka.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #2283: May 28, 2016 11:27:02 am
      I can imagine if Hodgeson has half a brain he will cut Hendo and Delph out the squad and let Rooney play in midfield in some games.

I agree he will drop an extra midfielder because he will think he can stick Rooney in there.  I think Drinkwater, based on the last couple of games and his lack of tournament experience, will get dropped - not Henderson.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2284: May 28, 2016 01:14:28 pm
      Didn't watch this match but saw that Australia bettered England in the possession ranks. Not very impressive for a team at home with better things expected of them.

England's defence is really shaping up to be a tragic story of the summer isn't it?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #2285: May 28, 2016 02:32:39 pm
      Sterling getting outshone by Andros Townsend :lmao:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,438 posts | 8656 
      Reply #2286: May 28, 2016 04:31:24 pm
      Sterling getting outshone by Andros Townsend :lmao:

I don't think he was you know, all I saw of Townsend was him trying to beat players and either running into trouble or falling over challenges. Sterling played two cracking balls, one through to Rashford, who should of done better and the ball to Rooney for his goal.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2287: May 29, 2016 11:53:12 pm
      I know it's not the senior team but England u21s have beaten France 2-0 to win the Toulon Tournament today.  First tournament we've won for 22 years.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2288: May 30, 2016 12:49:52 am
      I know it's not the senior team but England u21s have beaten France 2-0 to win the Toulon Tournament today.  First tournament we've won for 22 years.

Watched a few of those games some average football on display in the few games I did watch.

Having the games played on cow paddocks didn't really help, Grealish was the stand out for England.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #2289: May 31, 2016 03:20:31 pm
      No surprises with England squad then. Feel a bit sorry for Townsend because think he did offer something a but different. Good sub choice.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2290: May 31, 2016 05:13:40 pm
      don't know what we are thinking with dier after his last game
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2291: May 31, 2016 05:39:58 pm
      don't know what we are thinking with dier after his last game

You draw the line at Dier? What about Wilshere, Henderson etc? Dier is going because he's had a decent season and he offers an option as a DM/CB without having to use up the extra spot for a CB that will most likely not feature in any game.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2292: May 31, 2016 05:49:09 pm
      You draw the line at Dier? What about Wilshere, Henderson etc? Dier is going because he's had a decent season and he offers an option as a DM/CB without having to use up the extra spot for a CB that will most likely not feature in any game.
      Wilshire shouldn't be going and neither should Hendo. Drinkwater should have gone.
      DanMann

• 5,797 posts | 892 
      Reply #2293: May 31, 2016 06:16:44 pm
      Rashford was a guarantee. No surprise. He's going because he plays for Utd.

Realistically, he'll be lucky to play. But well.. you never know with England.
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #2294: May 31, 2016 06:38:33 pm
      How Wilshere has got in is beyond me, hasn't played all season, yet Drinkwater a key player for the champions has missed out.

Woys logic at work there!!!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2295: May 31, 2016 06:41:50 pm
      Drinkwater wins the league and has a really good season, left out.

Wilshere, starts 1 league game all season and gets chosen.

Townsend in pretty decent form, left out and leaves just 1 winger in the team.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #2296: May 31, 2016 06:53:15 pm
      How Wilshere has got in is beyond me, hasn't played all season, yet Drinkwater a key player for the champions has missed out.

Woys logic at work there!!!

Wiltshire annoys the F**k out of me who I don't rate the lad one bit
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2297: May 31, 2016 07:37:59 pm
      Typical Roy Hodgson.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2298: May 31, 2016 10:12:32 pm
      Rashford was a guarantee. No surprise. He's going because he plays for Utd.

Realistically, he'll be lucky to play. But well.. you never know with England.

Nah man Rashford is one talented f**ker, he goes on merit, no mistake.

Jack Wilshere though is going on his overhyped reputation.

Drinkwater can feel really unfortunate about it.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2299: May 31, 2016 10:15:06 pm
      No surprises with England squad then. Feel a bit sorry for Townsend because think he did offer something a but different. Good sub choice.

Yeah the type who might just nab a goal out of nothing from off the bench.

Think they have missed a trick not taking the English Robben.

Quick Reply