Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 12th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Taye Taiwo (Marseille)

Read 9599 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Taye Taiwo (Marseille)
      Jun 17, 2009 05:45:31 pm
      Rafa to Pair Nigerian Powerhouse with Johnson as Liverpool Unleash New Attacking Full-back

Marseille’s powerful left-back Taye Taiwo has issued a ‘come and get me’ plea to the Premier League big four which is sure to alert Liverpool who may well be in the hunt for to add a left-sided defender following the disappointing performance of Andrea Dossena last season. Portsmouth’s Glen Johnson looks likely to move to Anfield and alongside Taiwo would provide Liverpool with two of the most attacking full-backs in the Premier League.

The player had this to say to France-Football, “If I was to depart, then I would not join a small club.”It will be Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal.

“I do not want to leave Marseille for the sake of it. If I make it, it will be for a big club, to win the UEFA Champions League, in England, or why not Spain?

“I won’t make it for money, otherwise I could immediately leave for Ukraine, where I could earn just as much.”

The defender is confident in his ability to play against the very best in the Premier League as Taiwo’s comments illustrate, “I am not scared by the level in England. I believe I have the right level to defend against [Wayne] Rooney or Cristiano Ronaldo.

“Anyway I am more powerful than them. The only one with whom it would be much more complex is [Lionel] Messi.

“He is too small and too strong. That’s why maybe it could be better for me to join England rather than Spain.”

The 24-year-old Nigerian international has been linked to numerous Premier League clubs in the past year particularly Tottenham and Man City. The defender had this to say earlier in the season, “I have made my desire to play in the Premier League clear,” he told Sky Sports. “Tottenham are a big club, but I am at Marseille. I want to play in the Premier League, but I have a contract. But if the clubs agree…”

Man City, Newcastle and Sunderland had been heavily linked to the raiding full-back in the past though Liverpool are the club that would ideally suit the Nigerian from the current big four. Rafa Benitez summer signing Andrea Dossena has failed to impress since arriving at Anfield and may well be shipped out this summer. Although Fabio Aurelio has performed well in recent weeks and young Argentine Emiliano Insua shown potential when given the chance, Taiwo would fit perfectly into Liverpool’s style of play and has far more experience.

The left-back has played in France for the last 4 seasons and has made 134 league appearances for the club (10 goals). Marseille finished 16th in the 2007/08 season which has led to speculation concerning a number of their players but they managed to retain the Nigerian and it has paid off. The club came 2nd last season just 3 points behind champions Bordeaux with Taiwo playing in 35 of the team’s 38 league games (34 starts).

Nigerian Star to be Unleashed on the Premier League?Not only is Taiwo renowned for his no-nonsense defending but also his attacking forays and powerful shooting ability. His long range efforts have been clocked at over 80mph so expect him to fight with Steven Gerrard to take charge of free-kicks if he does sign for Liverpool.

Taiwo was signed by Marseille to replace legendary French full-back Bixente Lizarazu and has become a cult figure for the club. He was part of the Nigerian side that lost to Argentina in the final of the 2005 World Youth Championships. In fact, he was voted 3rd best player in the tournament behind Lionel Messi and Obi Mikel.

The Nigerian international has is a regular in his senior national side scoring 7 goals. He has also played in two African Cup of Nations tournaments.

So would you like Liverpool to bring the 2006 African Young Player of the Year to the Premier League? Do you think the club are already strong in that position? Let’s hear your views.
      http://community.footballpools.com/blog/2009/06/17/taye-taiwo-rafa-to-pair-nigerian-powerhouse/

taiwo
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,517 posts | 2873 
      Re: Taye Taiwo (Marseille)
      Reply #1: Jun 17, 2009 05:48:08 pm
      No thanks.

We've got Aurelio and Insua in that position.

Next.....
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #2: Jun 17, 2009 06:06:52 pm
      There is really no need for him though he is a very good player from what I seen of him
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #3: Jun 17, 2009 06:31:47 pm
      If he played badly we could say Twit Taiwo.
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #4: Jun 17, 2009 06:58:25 pm
      Should be an interesting signing

If Aurelio gets injured and we sell Dossena and Insua isn't experienced enough just yet

I'd take him for a reasonable price.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #5: Jun 17, 2009 06:59:19 pm
      We were linked with him last summer weren't we?

Seems like he is a very good player though I don't think we need him really.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #6: Jun 17, 2009 07:07:47 pm
      Sorry.  We've got Insua with a good covering full back, Fabio Aurelio.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #7: Jun 17, 2009 07:21:42 pm
      Decent player, not needed we have Doss the boss and thats all we need ;)
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #8: Jun 17, 2009 07:22:35 pm
      Hopefully he can chip the ball over van der sar as well ;)
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #9: Jun 17, 2009 07:24:19 pm
      Hopefully he can chip the ball over van der sar as well ;)

:D If he can he's got a better chance of being signed
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #10: Jun 17, 2009 08:41:15 pm
      If he played badly we could say Twit Taiwo.

Sign him up.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,335 posts | 184 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #11: Jun 17, 2009 09:04:12 pm
      well i rate him over fabio, he's technical but most importantly he got pace, which fabio has not (at least not in epl terms) and if this whole glen johnson story is true we could have a wonderfully powerful attack on the sides. plus he has proved he can and will score, fabio do it sometimes too but not as often i suppose. i really think this would be a great signing.
      kop1985
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts | -10 
      Reply #12: Jun 17, 2009 09:41:37 pm
      I think we are very well covered at left back, with insua and fabio.  I'd like rafa to be bolder with insua this year though, from what i've seen he is going to be some full back.  He just needs games.  To buy another lb would be money wasted imo!!
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #13: Jun 17, 2009 09:55:35 pm
      Maybe Aurelio could be on his way out?
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #14: Jun 17, 2009 10:32:04 pm
      Sound stupid, but is there any chance we could turn Insua into a left winger back up? Since we lack players in that area. Babel seem to be leaving soon. Insua looked like have real pace and skills. Only 19, wouldn't be a problem for him (maybe Rafa could turn him into the next Messi :D). Then maybe we can get Taiwo, Aurelio as back up since he is like 31 now.
      RedWilly

• 9,220 posts | 1646 
      Reply #15: Jun 17, 2009 11:47:15 pm
      Sound stupid, but is there any chance we could turn Insua into a left winger back up? Since we lack players in that area. Babel seem to be leaving soon. Insua looked like have real pace and skills. Only 19, wouldn't be a problem for him (maybe Rafa could turn him into the next Messi :D). Then maybe we can get Taiwo, Aurelio as back up since he is like 31 now.
      I'd say Aurelio is more suited to the wing myself mate. He has been used there before I think but I doubt Rafa would consider a permanent switch there.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #16: Jun 18, 2009 12:18:26 am
      No, No, No, No, No thanks- no were near the quality we need.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,908 posts | 6832 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #17: Jun 18, 2009 09:46:11 am
      Sounds like he has a few tickets on himself.

I don't want him, if he's scared of Messi, he's not Liverpool material. We fear no one.
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #18: Jun 18, 2009 10:00:50 am
      At least he sound like he hate Rooney and his bf Ronaldo.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #19: Jun 18, 2009 04:19:59 pm
      He was a handy player the last two years I seen him against us in the Champions League, but highly unneccesary! We have Insua and Aurelio, we may even still have Dossena and if it cam to the worst we have Agger (Left footed defender who likes to get forward) for cover.

Sounds like he has a few tickets on himself.

I don't want him, if he's scared of Messi, he's not Liverpool material. We fear no one.

Exactly. Sounds like he's running from Messi by looking to England. We want to win the Champions League and to do that you have to beat the best including Barcalona. What good would he be then?

Pass!
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #20: Jun 18, 2009 04:25:43 pm
      Sounds like Tupperware to me...scared of Messi then why not join Everton? The possibility of us going to meet Barca is high compared to the bitterblue everthongs!There's no such thing as afraid of Messi. He's just another player not a monster! Then you should be afraid of Mascherano coz he's a monster...
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #21: Jun 18, 2009 04:27:27 pm
      No need this player.. wasting money and wasting space I reckon.

2 class fullbacks in Fabio and Insua already, and we're just spurning Insua's development if we keep pushing for new fullbacks..

I actually think that like this guy, Insua maybe able to take a good free kick too.. Some of his shots are quite out of the moon, but most of the time they are quite accurate. Furthermore, his crossing is pinpoint.

Scared of Messi? What a pussy...  :D
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #22: Jun 18, 2009 04:43:11 pm
      Most of the Argentina players are pintsized. Look at our Masch, Tevez, Lavezzi, Messi and Aimar. So if he said that he's scared of Messi, than what's the worth of buying him? Like I said Everton is your best destination, you pussy!

Quick Reply