Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. You can only keep one - who would it be?

Javier Mascherano
      (31%)
      Xabi Alonso
      (69%)

Javier Mascherano or Xabi Alonso - Who would be the worst loss?

Read 9658 times
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Re: Javier Mascherano or Xabi Alonso - Who would be the worst loss?
      Reply #23: Jun 18, 2009 01:48:28 pm
      I went for Masch he is the best in the world at what he does and a good example of what he does for the team was when he was suspended against chelsea in the CL.
      nickykop
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts |
      Reply #24: Jun 18, 2009 01:57:36 pm
      Both are world class. Alonso has recovered from a dip in form, and from what I have seen in Confederations Cup, is running the show instead of Xavi. His passing is one of the best in the world, and he is the master of the simple, right pass needed.

Mascherano; is for me, the best defensive midfielder in the world. The only player I could see we could even replace him is Michael Essien, and we wouldn't be able to afford him. He cuts up play brilliantly, has the heart of a lion, and is essential in defending our back four.

For me, I think Mascherano would have to stay. He is younger, and less replaceable. If Alonso went, we could get another world class CM, or Gerrard pops down and like someone said earlier, we put the money in for another top class striker.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #25: Jun 18, 2009 03:09:31 pm
      It'd be a bigger loss to lose Xabi as he has a god given talent to put a ball wherever he wants to. His composure is fantastic and he just makes the team tick. As good as Masch is, there are others in the world who can do what he can - maybe not as well as Masch, but can certainly do it. Whereas not too many people in this world can do what Xabi does.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #26: Jun 18, 2009 03:40:42 pm
      I refuse to vote on this we need them both why not have a poll on Xabi and Stevie or which wheel of the car you would want a puncture. We now have the Best Squad for 20 years which Rafa has moulded together take 1 piece away and it isnt as strong.I appreciate the work Mascherano does which goes un noticed and I appreciate Xabi's vision and pure class if we loose either of them we are in trouble.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #27: Jun 18, 2009 03:45:01 pm
      I'm really split on this so I don't really know who would be a worst loss.

Both are unique central midfielders, they have their own traits, be it defensive or offensive, and therefore I cannot really compare which would be the worst loss.

We've seen Xabi put in his best season, as well as Masch becoming captain of Argentina, its an honour to lead your country isnt it? So both are top players, and their loss would be equal in my eyes. Lose Xabi and we lose our passing ability. Lose Masch and we'll be more vulnerable in defence, he isn't replacable with his defensive abilities mind you.

All in all they're equal, its too tough to call. Both are not for sale! ;)
      collector
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts |
      Reply #28: Jun 18, 2009 03:55:24 pm
      Xabi for me
      goldton
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 490 posts | -10 
      • This is our year FOR SURE....
      Reply #29: Jun 18, 2009 03:59:31 pm
      I would keep Xabi and lose Masch.
      Bowlesy88
      • Forum Patrik Berger

• 200 posts |
      Reply #30: Jun 18, 2009 06:16:29 pm
      both different players, masch is the tackling bulldog, where as xabi is the passing mastermind, able to pick out passes and runs, like no one else in the premier league, apart from fabregas IMO.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #31: Jun 18, 2009 06:24:50 pm
      without a doubt I'd opt for Xabi everytime, no question
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #32: Jun 18, 2009 06:26:41 pm
      Tough question, but i would prefer to keep Alonso.

They both are extremely good players but i feel Alonso offers a bit more to the team.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #33: Jun 18, 2009 06:30:32 pm
      I hate this because they're both invaluable to Liverpool FC but if i had to choose then i'd keep Mascherano.

He's the best DM on the planet, protecting the back four like nothing i've seen and this protection breeds confidence amongst the defence and creates stability which in turn leads to the midfield not having to worry as much about defensive duties and lets them focus on their attacking responsibilities.

Xabi is my player of the season and i voted as much, he's the finest passer of the ball and the vision he has is un-paralleled but he would be the man i would let go as not only do i think we'd get more money for Xabi but we also have players like Lucas who i feel would step up to fill the void if called upon. Also if the worst came to the worst, Stevie Gerrard is no slouch in the centre of the park and has fantastic vision and passing ability, we could drop him back and use the money to buy Villa or another player of such ability to sit in the pocket with Nando.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #34: Jun 18, 2009 06:39:13 pm
      I really don't want to part with any one of the 2 , infact I did not vote
       Rafa already said "hands off these 2 world class players"
       But if we are offered a Big sum (Not less than 32/35 mill for any of the 2 ) with which I can bring in a player like Villa I'd say hold on to Xabi . He is a must for the team ,but honestly these two together on the pitch are MASSIVE , they control the midfield by themselves
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #35: Jun 18, 2009 06:40:43 pm
      This is a tough one , like them both to stay but if i had to choose it would be Xabi, for his vision of the game and his passing is second to none. But they both must stay.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #36: Jun 18, 2009 07:06:54 pm
      Horrible question.

I think Lucas couldn't replace Mascherano, because he isn't the same type of player. I think Lucas would be a more suitable replacement for Xabi.
      Xabi Alonso's passing range and vision is something lucas doesn't have, but Xabi and Lucas don't work well together, whereas Lucas and Mascherano do.

In the end I'd go for Mascherano. His protection to the back 4 is sublime, and although Lucas can't pass it like Xabi, he would replace Xabi much better than Masch.
      Lfcred92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 972 posts |
      Reply #37: Jun 18, 2009 07:22:18 pm
      they are both quality and would be hard to replace, but we would get more for masch i think?
      NO1KOPITE
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 33 posts |
      Reply #38: Jun 18, 2009 07:24:19 pm
      I think Xabi would be the worse loss for us.
      Although Masch is a great player he is only good for late stage CL games and matches like UTD and CHELSEA.
      But we have Damian Plessis coming through the ranks, who is looking like he's going to be better than Masch
      and i think he could be a suitable replacement for Masch but we don't really have anyone to replace Xabi.
      Lucas is a good fringe player and is OK in matches against teams like Hull and Bolton but just can't cut it against the big clubs and should be sold.
      We also have Jay Spearing who looks like a future captain and Gerrard like player, who could be used in Xabi's position but still he is only young and unproven.
      I cant think of anymore players who could be possible to fill his roll as 1 of the most influential players in our 1st XI.
      So i think Xabi would be a bigger loss than Masch.
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,012 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #39: Jun 18, 2009 07:36:32 pm
      Difficult to choose one, love them both actually, but I think I would preffer Xaby to stay, if one should go.
      redruths
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 44 posts |
      Reply #40: Jun 18, 2009 08:11:35 pm
      They both complement each other superbly and would be surprised if either if them wanted to leave just when we seem to be on the verge of something great , but i fear Masch's head might have been turned by his agent. If he does go we have got to take barcelona for every penny we can and buy a major striker to patrner fernando and drop gerrard back.
      NO1KOPITE
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 33 posts |
      Reply #41: Jun 18, 2009 08:15:14 pm
      redruths dont be silly
      drop gerrard back
      the torres/gerrard partnership
      is the best liverpool have had since rush and aldridge
      there dynomite 2geva
      the money would be better spent on bring quality wingers in
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #42: Jun 18, 2009 08:43:15 pm
      Its a hard one, would hate to lose either, but if i was pushed I'd prefer to keep Masch wasn't he described after the Colombia game as the best midfielder Argentina has produced in 40 years, that is some compliment when you think of some of the midfielders Argentina has produced, Mascherano is way to underrated in England, I don't think some people actually realise how good he is, the best defensive midfielder on the planet.
      redruths
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 44 posts |
      Reply #43: Jun 18, 2009 08:45:14 pm
      Sorry NO1KOPITE got to disagree about Rush and Aldridge as a partnership they were far too similar and needed a Beardsley or Dalglish type alongside them to show what brilliant goalscorers they were , but i suppose thats another thread. I suggested putting gerrard back in midfield as he's the best player on the park wherever he plays and we do need a serious goalscorer to take pressure off fernando
      NO1KOPITE
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 33 posts |
      Reply #44: Jun 18, 2009 08:48:27 pm
      fernando is the worlds best
      there no pressure he loves it
      and next season he'll prove that if he can go all season without injury
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #45: Jun 18, 2009 11:14:03 pm
      Its a hard one, would hate to lose either, but if I was pushed I'd prefer to keep Masch wasn't he described after the Colombia game as the best midfielder Argentina has produced in 40 years, that is some compliment when you think of some of the midfielders Argentina has produced, Mascherano is way to underrated in England, I don't think some people actually realise how good he is, the best defensive midfielder on the planet.

Xabi has been described by some as the best passer in the world though, so would u want to lose that? :D
      Its a tough issue, both are so brilliant in what they do.
      For me it would be Xabi, just IMO in the games i watch when Xabi doesnt play i notice and miss him so much more than Mascha. But its a close call

Quick Reply