Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. You can only keep one - who would it be?

Javier Mascherano
      (31%)
      Xabi Alonso
      (69%)

Javier Mascherano or Xabi Alonso - Who would be the worst loss?

Read 9642 times
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Javier Mascherano or Xabi Alonso - Who would be the worst loss?
      Jun 18, 2009 03:56:46 am
      Speculation has been absolutely rife about these two packing their bags and jumping the plane to Spain.

Xabi's been linked with Real Madrid since last season, and the speculation just won't seem to go away.  Mascherano's agent is F***ing around and has apparently held talks for Javier to move on to Barcelona.  

Rafa has come out and categorically issued a huge 'hands off' warning on our central midfield maestro.  But there's one big question, who would be the worst loss to the side?  I don't want to see either go, because we're building a world class side - and we're only only 1 or 2 players off being as strong as a for example; Barcelona side.

And don't forget to vote in the poll above this post. ^^

Discuss...
      « Last Edit: Jul 29, 2009 08:20:03 pm by Court LFC »
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Re: Javier Mascherano or Xabi Alonso - Who would be the worst loss?
      Reply #1: Jun 18, 2009 04:25:48 am
      I would personally have to go with Xabi. Losing him would leave a big gap of creativity and ability. We can always appreciate Masch's tackles, enthusiam, and one time hits. But Xabi brings to the fore a range of passing, and movement of the midfield; he creates a lot of space for Torres and Gerrard to get in and exploit.

We would certainly be going backwards losing any of the two. But I think Xabi would be harder to replace as oppose to Masch, in all honesty some would say, occasionally Masch is a bit of a liability but then again. When we factor in those clinching and hard headed tackles. We can accepting the idea of him not getting it right all the time. Both are exceedingly good at what they do, but both the influence and range of what Xabi does, would take it for me.

Xabi would be a bigger loss, Lucas one could say is a suitable replacement for Mascherano.

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #2: Jun 18, 2009 05:20:31 am
      Xabi Alonso is a bigger loss. He has the ability and skill and vision to pick out his mates and those are assets.

In my opinion, Steven Gerrard can do Mascherano's job.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #3: Jun 18, 2009 06:21:16 am
      I would personally have to go with Xabi. Losing him would leave a big gap of creativity and ability. We can always appreciate Masch's tackles, enthusiam, and one time hits. But Xabi brings to the fore a range of passing, and movement of the midfield; he creates a lot of space for Torres and Gerrard to get in and exploit.

Can't really add anything more.
      rassid_
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #4: Jun 18, 2009 06:25:57 am
      for me...to lose this two player is a huge mistake for liv,cause this two player have a different influent for the team...alonso create more change for attacking side and also made the winger more lifely, for mach is a person that can handle the defending perfectly, mach covered almost all the ground when defending....so...to lose this two player is a bad decision for liv...we can try to offload a few player that cant made impact....ynwa ;)
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 611 posts |
      Reply #5: Jun 18, 2009 07:09:59 am
      I dont want too see any of these 2 players leave,its taken Rafa 5 yrs to build a title winning team and Liverpool look like a complete team now.They say no one is irreplaceable but losing either one of these two players would cause a huge dent in the Liverpool team.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #6: Jun 18, 2009 07:31:22 am
      Its been shown, we lose fluidity, creativeness and structure when Xabi is out. Has to be him.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #7: Jun 18, 2009 07:37:34 am
      I'm a huge fan of both players, but a player like Xabier Alonso is harder to replace. There are good tacklers out there who could do a decent job for us while I cant think of many players who defend, create and control the game like Alonso does. Especially with our current formation, with Gerrard playing somehow like a 2nd striker, Alonso became even more important, cause he is the main player to start our plays from behind.
      Red Uruk-hai
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts |
      Reply #8: Jun 18, 2009 07:38:29 am
      For me id hate to loose Mascherano, as iv just had his name and number printed on my new away shirt.

But realy i hope they both stay. ::)
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #9: Jun 18, 2009 09:27:59 am
      We need them both to stay, its fu*cking doing my head in all this sniffing around our players. Rafa has categoracly stated that either of them are not for sale so if he means it then that should be the end of it. If its down to their agents then id love the players to sack them if theyre operating without the players knowledge. Its a bad lot and just causes unrestand uncertainty in the ranks. If any of it is to be believed im starting to think just who WILL be here come August. And now i see Barca are sniffing around Reina coz Valdes is stalling over a new deal, not worried there though, i think Pepes settled and has morals and principles. Still i wish these clubs would do one. :f_steam:
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #10: Jun 18, 2009 09:47:40 am
      Very hard choice, love them both.

Have to say Xabi though, for reasons already explained.
      3-star-wool
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 155 posts | -11 
      Reply #11: Jun 18, 2009 10:34:48 am
      Mascherano without a doubt for me. I think the voting would have been quite different a year ago before Alonso's best season since being at the club, but I think Masch's consistency is absolutely critical to this club.

I also think Alonso maybe "due" a move, whereas Masch is "due" some football/lifestyle stability.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #12: Jun 18, 2009 10:39:35 am
      Losing Alonso would be a bigger blow.

Passing ability and creativity like Alonso has is hard to find in this game.

Mascherano is infinitely more replaceable.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #13: Jun 18, 2009 10:56:43 am
      I'd have to go for Mascherano. An in-form Mascherano will stop attackers with the quickness. I like is intense commitment to the game and his die-hard approach to going after attackers even when he's been beaten.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #14: Jun 18, 2009 11:06:39 am
      do you think lucas could step up and replace mascherano?

masch need's to show sum loyalty to rafa and liverpool who rescued him from his west ham nightmare,funny mascherano's wife was not unsettled in east london.

xabi stay's.
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #15: Jun 18, 2009 11:09:07 am
      In my opinion, Steven Gerrard can do Mascherano's job.

Lets be honest, with the exception of maybe Reina, Stevie can pretty much do anyone on the pitch's job! ;)

This is a really really tough question. On one hand, Masch has never really had a major dip in form like Xabi, but on the other it would be a lot easier to find another defensive midfielder than someone with the ability to pick out a pass like Xabi...........still undecided for now.....
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #16: Jun 18, 2009 11:34:37 am
      I'll be very surprised if any one of these players leave us, I get the feeling Rafa can be very persuasive and for that reason they will both stay, at least for one more season. Masha's position is one that breaks the play up, gets amongst the opposition and as well as doing that he is a good passer he keeps it simple and for me he's the best in the world at his position and the only player of his type that can get near him is Gattuso.

Xabi has a lot going for him also but at the other end where he is a creative player and another who we can't do without, we let Alonso go at our peril, his raking passes, his vision is second to none, he has it all, his enthusiasm is felt by all and it must influence his team mates. Both players are a part in the whole, take one out and the team suffers, I cannot pick one over the other so I say why not keep both and let Dosana go instead....
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,885 posts | 6817 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #17: Jun 18, 2009 11:36:33 am
      Really tough this one, hate to even bear the thought of it.

For me though, I'd lean towards keeping Masch. For me he protects the back 4 like no other DM I have ever seen. He runs like crazy and just seems to be all over the pitch wherever we need him.

As much as I'd hate to lose Alonso, Stevie has the vision and the passing skills to go back there and do the job Xabi does. Then with the millions we get from selling Xabi we buy David Villa to sit in the hole behind Torres.
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #18: Jun 18, 2009 11:41:27 am
      For reasons explained above I would have to say Xabi we would really struggle to replace.
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #19: Jun 18, 2009 11:45:49 am
      Tought question and a tough decision to make. With the current state of the team, I think our forward play is pretty good so... I will still be keen to retain a reliable destroyer in front the back four. I am emotionally torn!!!!
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #20: Jun 18, 2009 11:53:02 am
      One is no god without the other really ,  without masch xabi hasn't the pace to go back and defend from counter attack and without Xabi, Masch hasn't the creativity or passing range to provie a defnse stpliting pass he can only make a  bombing run forward . Xabi isn't that fast but when you're that good at passing you don't need to be . Together both these players give whatever you need in a complete midfeild ,long range passing , breaking up counter attack ,tacking , creatvty , smooth flowing footbal and all around agression, it's the best in the so selling either one of them would be a fatal mistake . It makes me sad reading this thread its so hard to choose between our master class passer and our monster .
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #21: Jun 18, 2009 01:32:15 pm
      Horrible question. But on the basis that, signing new players aside,  Spearing could be groomed to be the terrier type that Masch is or Plessis might become a top defensive midfielder Id rather lose Masch. No one in the current squad can do what Xabi does.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #22: Jun 18, 2009 01:44:59 pm
      Love Xabi and was one of the first to vote for him in the poll. Had an amazing season.

On this one....

Monster Mash.

Saw him play in Toulouse summer 2007. Didnt think much then but watching him now he protects the back four brilliantly.
      Turns defence into attack in seconds. Reads the game brilliantly.

Xabi a genius but Id go for the Mash.

I would never want to have to make the choice.

Quick Reply