Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 14th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P2 W1 D1 L0

Change of Sponsor?

Read 28280 times
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Change of Sponsor?
      Jun 25, 2009 09:49:45 am
      Carlsberg's last orders for Liverpool deal

Carlsberg is running out of time to negotiate a new shirt sponsorship deal with Liverpool as the Merseyside club hold out for a bumper contract amid interest from a host of leading international companies.

Liverpool are looking to strike a deal similar to the £80 million, four-year arrangement that Manchester United secured this month with Aon
      , the American insurance giant, but Carlsberg is offering only about half that sum.

The Danish brewer has been Liverpool's main sponsor since 1992, but while talks are continuing and both parties would like their long association to continue, Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr, the co-owners, believe that the club have been undersold commercially for too long and want a deal that reflects their position as one of the most recognisable brands in world football.

The present deal with Carlsberg, which was signed in February 2007 in the wake of the Americans' takeover at Anfield, is worth £7.2 million a year and expires next summer. Carslberg has until the end of July to negotiate a new contract exclusively with Liverpool but thereafter the club will be able to explore other options.

Liverpool believe that United's agreement with Aon has set the benchmark and that it is only right that they seek a comparable deal as the most successful club in English football history with an enormous worldwide fanbase.

Although Liverpool would like to conclude a deal sooner rather than later, they do not want to “get into bed” with the wrong partner and are prepared to take their time.

Chelsea will also be in the hunt for a new shirt sponsor should they not reach a new agreement with Samsung. Their present five-year deal with the Korean electronics company is worth £10 million a year and expires in June 2010, but with reports suggesting that Chelsea believe that a new contract is worth double that, it remains to be seen if Samsung is prepared to cough up the funds.

Put us on your shirts

£80 million The four-year deal Manchester United signed with Aon takes effect from next summer
      £75 million Juventus have a five-year contract with Tamoil, the international oil company
      £68 million Bayern Munich's four-year deal with T-Home
      £50 million Chelsea signed a five-year contract with Samsung in 2005
      £38 million Real Madrid's three-year deal with Bwin.com, the Austria-based online gaming company

The Times

This is a big issue surrounding the club. In the current financial climate with money dominating the game, we have been falling behind the other top clubs in this kind of area. We are already not competitive in terms of ticket sales compared to many of Europe's biggest clubs, and for years we have been receiving mediocre sums in terms of sponsorship deals, despite being one of the biggest clubs in the world.

When we look at the top five clubs in terms of shirt sponsorship, we are way behind them. Manchester United have signed a 4 year deal worth £80 million, four times what we managed with Carlsberg just two years ago. This is the kind of area in which, if we are able to make a significant step forward, will help relieve the pressure of debt on the club and give a bit more power in the transfer market.

I'm not saying we should ditch Carlsberg, but if they are unable to give us a more realistic offer then it would be time to consider it IMO. I don't like to think of the Liverbird and our crest in terms of marketing, but in this day and age it has to be taken into account. Our shirt and badge is famous the world over, and our runs in the Champion's League have written Carlsberg's name on TV sets the world over in two recent finals.

It's time we started telling them what we're worth instead of accepting second best. Get your wallets out Carlsberg, the (nearly) free ride has come to an end.
      « Last Edit: Jun 25, 2009 10:04:25 am by ayrton77 »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Re: Change of Sponsor?
      Reply #1: Jun 25, 2009 10:44:25 am
      Excellent post Ayrton as you say the clubs' long association with the Carlsberg brand has been a source of world wide exposure of their logo with the generated revenue that involves.If there is one thing the chuckle brothers excel at it's spotting a business opportunity and they could see we are under achieving in this area,sentiment is not a player here it's down to cold hard cash and the more the better.
                                                               Carlsberg have been a good friend to LFC but the bar has been raised and its up to them to match the standard or relinquish their holding.

StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #2: Jun 25, 2009 10:53:36 am
      Any idea of companies looking to be involved with us yet if Carlsberg do retract their sponsorship or is it too early for that?
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #3: Jun 25, 2009 11:00:16 am
      Any idea of companies looking to be involved with us yet if Carlsberg do retract their sponsorship or is it too early for that?

To be honest I've only seen this article so far on the subject, so don't know who could be waiting in the wings.

I find it hard to believe that we couldn't find another sponsor willing to pay more than they're offering though.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #4: Jun 25, 2009 11:07:43 am
      Yeah I'm sure there are buckets of sponsors waiting if Carlsberg drop out, for a team as big as Liverpool we shouldn't have any problem.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #5: Jun 25, 2009 11:18:51 am
      ManUre have no problem with sponsors and while they are reputed to be a more efficient business machine than LFC we are the more successful club with a following second to none and it is early days,any possible candidates will be reluctant to put in a premature offer.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #6: Jun 25, 2009 11:34:22 am
      good topic. we really have been undersold. 7.2mil for a club of our reputation is sh*t!  :-\
      although i would like Carlsberg to remain our sponsors, i wouldn't think twice if another company offers us a much better deal than this.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #7: Jun 25, 2009 11:46:38 am
      If we don't get enough money from them they can get out as far as I'm concerned
      Paul 08
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts | -4 
      • Justice for the 96 reds
      Reply #8: Jun 25, 2009 11:51:38 am
      Lets hope Crown Paints come up with a big offer it will just be like the 1980's Crown Paints Liverpool shirt.  ;D
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #9: Jun 25, 2009 11:53:16 am
      Lets hope Crown Paints come up with a big offer it will just be like the 1980's Crown Paints Liverpool shirt.  ;D

Haha fat chance of that happening!

Let's just hope it's not TY teddy bears, remember when Pompey had that...
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #10: Jun 25, 2009 12:13:05 pm
      A good article Ayrton 77. When you look at some of the other clubs their isn't one that has a better record than LFC, and how we ended up way behind in terms of generating wealth through the sponsors, has shown us how poorly managed we were. Next year we could get an extra 8 mill a year on what we receive now, and I hope most go on buying a player or two that we need to build on what we have, and perhaps then we are able to keep up with the Man C's of the EPL.....
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #11: Jun 25, 2009 12:15:07 pm

Crown Pains are tight arses.

(May 2008)

Premier League club Blackburn Rovers has signed Crown Paints as its new main sponsor in a three-year deal reported to be worth up to £5m.

StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #12: Jun 25, 2009 12:22:51 pm
      A whole 5!!!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #13: Jun 25, 2009 12:51:14 pm
      ManUre have no problem with sponsors and while they are reputed to be a more efficient business machine than LFC we are the more successful club with a following second to none and it is early days,any possible candidates will be reluctant to put in a premature offer.

The Problem with manures sponssrs is we've never heard of them, AIG, Aon??? who are these guys. We've heard of them now, so may be it's the Sponsors who are getting a good deal. When it was Vodafone I actually changed networks.

Are not Crown with Blackburn, damn missed oppertunity the there.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #14: Jun 25, 2009 01:08:00 pm
      I'd heard of AIG ages ago but Aon.. nope. In fact what is it they actually do?
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #15: Jun 25, 2009 01:09:35 pm
      Online poker is very big nowadays. We should get one of those companies to sponsor us. Someone like this maybe?

:f_whistle:
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #16: Jun 25, 2009 01:13:04 pm
      I hope Pizza Hut sponsors us, ;D.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #17: Jun 25, 2009 01:22:26 pm
      I know this thread is so goona get out of hand with different ideas for sponsors,.... so here's my 2cents...

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #18: Jun 25, 2009 01:31:36 pm
      If were getting any new sponsor, surely this is it?

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #19: Jun 25, 2009 02:22:45 pm
      Ive already posted on the forum Rick The Briefcase Parry's "success" in being screwed down by Carlsberg under the current contract.

Long established or not, we live in the real world and if Carlsberg want the privilege of being on the team and the supporters shirts, which we wear as their advertising hoardings, then they must be paying the market rate.

If they want the future boozers of the future from Age 3 up then pay for it. In fact on that one, pay a 50% premium for their future earnings!

Like I have also said before..... what IS Mr Ayres and staff doing downtown in the Liverpool office?

More importantly I have taken some serious stick on forums ( pissheads?)  before, about the current and the future choice of sponsor.

To be a truly global brand a successful club must appeal to all nationalities, all religions........ without exception and without offence.

Furthermore, I personally question the morality of seeing our little ones parading around with a booze advertiser on their replica shirts.
      To me it just doesnt sit right. It might be acceptable to others.
      Its a free choice as a parent.

In France where I now live, booze sponsors are completely banned so when the lads play Toulouse, Bordeaux and Marseille as they have in recent years they go out with a No Logo shirt.

Even the  Mankers remove the Budweiser advert on their Arabic site.(Their Aon deal is frighteningly embarrasing to our Carlsberg one!)

Get rid of Carlsberg theyve had a good deal in L4 and globally.

Or get them to the table and make them pay a hefty premium for being an unacceptable marginal sponsor.

Would DIC even entertain them with their geographical base?
      I dont think so.

Carlsberg?

We are part of their game!

StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #20: Jun 25, 2009 02:30:13 pm
      I like how everyone chooses a new sponsor related to alcohol ;)
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #21: Jun 25, 2009 02:45:12 pm
      My wife said Ev----n Mints. Slapped her.

Newcastle Brown Ale ......with a picture of Mickey Owen in an oval frame.

Thailand Tourist Board with a picture of Ronnie Ladyboy.

Disneyland? No.  The land of Far Far Away with a picture of Rooney.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #22: Jun 25, 2009 02:45:24 pm
      Ive already posted on the forum Rick The Briefcase Parry's "success" in being screwed down by Carlsberg under the current contract.

Long established or not, we live in the real world and if Carlsberg want the privilege of being on the team and the supporters shirts, which we wear as their advertising hoardings, then they must be paying the market rate.

If they want the future boozers of the future from Age 3 up then pay for it. In fact on that one, pay a 50% premium for their future earnings!

Like I have also said before..... what IS Mr Ayres and staff doing downtown in the Liverpool office?

More importantly I have taken some serious stick on forums ( pissheads?)  before, about the current and the future choice of sponsor.

To be a truly global brand a successful club must appeal to all nationalities, all religions........ without exception and without offence.

Furthermore, I personally question the morality of seeing our little ones parading around with a booze advertiser on their replica shirts.
      To me it just doesnt sit right. It might be acceptable to others.
      Its a free choice as a parent.

In France where I now live, booze sponsors are completely banned so when the lads play Toulouse, Bordeaux and Marseille as they have in recent years they go out with a No Logo shirt.

Even the  Mankers remove the Budweiser advert on their Arabic site.(Their Aon deal is frighteningly embarrasing to our Carlsberg one!)

Get rid of Carlsberg theyve had a good deal in L4 and globally.

Or get them to the table and make them pay a hefty premium for being an unacceptable marginal sponsor.

Would DIC even entertain them with their geographical base?
      I dont think so.

Carlsberg?

We are part of their game!

Maybe you should point all this out to Muslims who I've seen openly drinking.

Funny how they say F**k-all then!

By the way DIC as a company was disolved way back when there last bid was not accepted.

Quick Reply