Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Torres: Our Four Title Rivals

Read 3083 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Torres: Our Four Title Rivals
      Jun 30, 2009 05:55:15 pm
      Fernando Torres believes there will be five teams gunning for the Barclays Premier League title next term. Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal have made up the top four in the last four seasons - but Torres thinks Manchester City are now a real threat.

He said: "I'm sure that Manchester United and Chelsea will be our main rivals but you can't leave Arsenal or Manchester City out of the equation.

"Man City are putting together a strong team with good signings. Manchester United have yet to sign players with the money they received from the sale of Ronaldo, but he will be sorely missed along with Carlos Tevez. We will have to wait and see which players they bring in."

Torres admits Liverpool must focus on being more clinical on home soil in 2009-10 after a series of Anfield draws proved costly last term.

"Once again the Premier League is Liverpool's main goal for next season," said the 25-year-old.

"We are going to set our sights on the title, and this time we are going to try and be more clinical at home against the so-called weaker teams. Last season they caused us some grief at Anfield."

Torres and his fellow Spaniards will now enjoy a holiday after their Confederations Cup antics before joining up with their clubmates for the pre-season tour of Asia.

"Next summer will also be a busy time with plenty of games, so now it's important to get some good rest ahead of next season, which will be a long campaign, but also hopefully a happy one," he said.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N164912090630-0849.htm
      « Last Edit: Jun 30, 2009 06:38:43 pm by ayrton77 »
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Re: TORRES: OUR FOUR TITLE RIVALS
      Reply #1: Jun 30, 2009 05:59:01 pm
      Can you please include the link to your source please?  It would be helpful if you insert the link in to youir first post.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2: Jun 30, 2009 06:19:56 pm
      Can you please include the link to your source please?  It would be helpful if you insert the link in to youir first post.

Thought I had included it my apologies ;D
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #3: Jun 30, 2009 06:33:43 pm
      Any chance you could make it non-capitals too please? :D

Seems to be talking a lot of sense our Nando and seems very confident that we can lift the Premier League trophy come next May.

Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #4: Jun 30, 2009 06:36:34 pm
      He really doesn't get the Premier League, does he? :laugh:

Man City are never going to challenge for the top 4 let alone league title.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Re: Torres: Our Four Title Rivals
      Reply #5: Jun 30, 2009 06:43:03 pm
      Any chance you could make it non-capitals too please? :D

Done, but we've had to edit a lot of your posts, RedLFCBlood. Please could you have a read of the forum rules before to continue posting.

As for the topic itself, what he says is logical, except for City, who I don't think will be challenging next season, unless it's for a Europa League spot.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #6: Jun 30, 2009 06:46:41 pm
      Done, but we've had to edit a lot of your posts, RedLFCBlood. Please could you have a read of the forum rules before to continue posting.

As for the topic itself, what he says is logical, except for City, who I don't think will be challenging next season, unless it's for a Europa League spot.

What was capitals ?
       ;D
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #7: Jun 30, 2009 06:49:04 pm

The title of the thread.
      scottish lfc fan
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | -4 
      Reply #8: Jun 30, 2009 06:59:45 pm
      the top four will always be the top 4 liverpool man u chelsea and arsenal there is always talk aww villa everton spurs NOW man city will brake into top 4 the only team to do that since 2004 has been everton . and even i cant see arsenal or chelsea being up there again this season it will be between Liverpool And Manchester United Man city were ment to brake the top 4 last season where did they finnish 10th season before that spurs were ment to brake top 4 where did they finnish 2 seasons ago 6th and this season 9th ?
      Paul LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 260 posts | -1 
      Reply #9: Jun 30, 2009 07:20:53 pm
      I can see the same top four this season Liverpool, Mancs,Chavski,and le Arsenal
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,297 posts | 2841 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #10: Jun 30, 2009 07:23:32 pm
      Love the bones of Torres but cant help think he's doing a lot of talking lately. Can never understand modern day players giving so many interviews which can either be twisted by the journalist or thrown back in the players face if their form is poor.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #11: Jun 30, 2009 07:24:59 pm
      Same, but cuty will be 5th i reckon, IF they can make a working team.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,849 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #12: Jun 30, 2009 08:27:57 pm
      It's all well and good making all these big signings ( manc city ) but to get them to play together? so many ego's to feed ,if they don't do well this year it's bye bye Hughes i reckon,i think the top four will be us ( 1st ) chelski, villa , mancs u , wengerboys have done nowt for a while and i see them slipping down ,nice to see Nando feels at ease and is relaxed taliking to the press
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #13: Jun 30, 2009 09:59:35 pm
      It's all well and good making all these big signings ( manc city ) but to get them to play together? so many ego's to feed ,if they don't do well this year it's bye bye Hughes i reckon,i think the top four will be us ( 1st ) chelski, villa , mancs u , wengerboys have done nowt for a while and i see them slipping down ,nice to see Nando feels at ease and is relaxed taliking to the press

You honestly see Villa 3rd? Can't see them improving on 5th tbh.
      albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #14: Jun 30, 2009 10:38:00 pm
      Love the bones of Torres but cant help think he's doing a lot of talking lately. Can never understand modern day players giving so many interviews which can either be twisted by the journalist or thrown back in the players face if their form is poor.

i don't have very much sympathy with modern players in most respects but, in this area at least, i do.

basically, what are their options? if they refuse interviews or to answer "quick" questions the rags are likely to print all kinds of crap about them anyway. then, as we see over and over, if they DO grant an interview the edited version bears little resemblance to what they actually said. (see Alonso and Masch' recent quotes for the proof of that).

in Torres' case he is a world superstar so it is inevitable that the journos want to talk to him...i highly doubt he seeks them out just for a chance to spout his opinions.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #15: Jul 01, 2009 09:38:45 am
      Torres is talking too much IMO. But what's good is that he's speaking the right things about the club - promoting the club. City? Ah just think you got it wrong there Nando :D

Talk more to Silva and Mata please. ;)
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #16: Jul 01, 2009 09:33:18 pm
       believe it in some ways. but not with hughes as manager. that robinho is a sulk and affecting chemistry of the team. think big egos will take time to sort out. give it a year might be 6th this year.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #17: Jul 01, 2009 10:46:11 pm
      I think if they sign some good defenders then they could easily be pushing into the top 4 i heard they offered 18m for Lescott if they manage to get him they have in my opinion one of the best defenders in the league
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #18: Jul 02, 2009 12:05:57 am
      They'll be a common version of Real basically, with equal potential, more money, but a smaller chance of success, cuz at the end of the day Man City is not Real Madrid.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #19: Jul 02, 2009 12:39:06 am
      I do agree Brian that Torres is filling a lot of headlines lately. He should probably kick back and relax keep himself mentally prepared for the upcoming pre season. As for Man City breaking the top 4 that is bollocks the same was said after Tottenham last year assembled a squad apparently capable of doing just that  and found themselves on the bottom and facing relegation come Christmas. It takes passion, pride and history to crack the top 4 in this league something a bunch of over paid premaddonnas brough together and thrown into a team can not do.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #20: Jul 02, 2009 12:50:01 am
      City will be sh*te this year in my opinion, they are spending big but i think we all know that rarely leads to success.. Chelsea did the same and although they got a couple of titles early on, they have had zero success since they brought in the likes of Ballack, Sheva etc. Theyll be a threat in games against the real top four though, hopefully nab a few points from our rivals.. but not us ;D The other teams just dont know how to sustain a top four position. We saw it with Villa, they fell away badly at the end, shocking collapse really. Showed how tough it can be.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #21: Jul 02, 2009 01:00:28 am
      Villa fell away mainly due to the size of their squad and injuries etc, something I don't think Man City are going to have a problem with.

Totally agree with you about spending big doesn't always buy you success and it will be harder for Man City to do that as they will first have to break into the top 4 and be playing champions league football to attract the kind of players they really want to sign.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,039 posts | 3352 
      Reply #22: Jul 02, 2009 01:13:53 am
      City are spending big on mid-table Premiership players.

Bellamy - couldn't hack it at a top club like Liverpool.
      Bridge - couldn't hack it at a top club like Chelsea.
      Barry - just isn't good enough for a top club.
      Santa Cruz - just isn't good enough for a top club.
      Stuart Taylor :lmao:

The only player from the Premiership they've signed with any sort of top four quality is Given. He's a fantastic keeper.

As for the lads they've brought in from abroad.

Robinho - hardly the world beater people were expecting.
      De Jong - very expensive for very average.
      Kompany - steady but hardly great.

So there's no point worrying about the boys from Eastlands because they won't be a top four club for a very, very long time.

As for the other contenders well rule Arsenal out because none of their players wanna be there by all accounts. Fabregas, Clichy, Arshavin, Adebeyor. None are ruling out a move away which will mean Wenger has to go a rebuild yet another side of 25 year old "kids".

Chelsea, although with a new manager they don't look like they can just buy any f**ker anymore. Milan are holding out on Pato, Johnson told them to do one and they are now struggling to attract the world stars. That's what happens when you have all that money, players start realising that they'll be lucky to play a third of the games so stop going there. Only money grabbing little cu*ts will still wanna go Stamford Bridge.

United, well they are the threat. They always will be because they are a quality side even without the likes of Ronaldo and Tevez. Ferguson works out a way to replace the stars he loses. Now he's missed out on Benezma but he'll still go out and find quality. He and United may be looking to take a few of Madrid's "cast offs" in the same way we might. He might be looking at the likes of Hunterlaar, who they wanted in the past, or Higuian to fill the gap Tevez is gonna leave. He may also be looking at the likes of Drenthe or Sniejder to fill the gap Ronaldo leaves and switch Nani to the right. Whenever United sell their best players, they find a way of improving. They are like us in that sense. We lose a star, rather than sit and cry about it for twelve months we move on - United do the same.

So it's a toss up between us and United again. And it'll come down to who wins the games they shouldn't i.e. Villa at Old Trafford last year. If we can start picking up more wins in the games we don't deserve to win, then we'll be alright. We've proven we can beat the top sides, we've proven we can beat those who wanna park the bus (although we can improve here) and we've proven we can beat the games in which we need to fight. We just need to start winning more "ugly" games like the game at the KC Stadium last season. We didn't play well, certainly defensively, but we came away with three points. If we can pick up just the odd win in that sort of game then we can take our seat back as the Champions Of England.

Quick Reply