Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Niko Kranjcar (Portsmouth)

Read 9981 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,144 posts | 3383 
      Re: Niko Kranjcar (Portsmouth)
      Reply #23: Aug 11, 2009 03:58:27 pm
      Kranjcar shone for Pompey a few years back but last year was very quiet. Might have had injuries, can't remember.

While 7 million isn't a huge price, it's still a bit steep when we haven't got the centre half we're clearly looking for. If it happens I wouldn't be broken hearted but I wouldn't be crying meself to kip if it doesn't happen either.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #24: Aug 11, 2009 04:09:38 pm
      Peter Storie Portsmouth chief executive has said today that he is going to see out the final year of his contract. He is only 24 thought he was about 26.
      vydex
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | -5 
      Reply #25: Aug 11, 2009 04:11:03 pm
      7 Million for him would be a steal and less of a risk than Aqualani in my opion. I would even go as far a 10 million for Niko as he has a great deal of technical talent if he can stay fit.
      beardofzeus
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 47 posts |
      Reply #26: Aug 11, 2009 04:29:37 pm
      I've always thought Kranjcar was too good for Pompey and, given the current coastal exodus, I think I'm right. As for him coming here...suppose it's proven Prem quality with a touch of class when needed. Might be a good addition...great age too. I thought he was older than 24
      Johncolf
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #27: Aug 11, 2009 05:31:55 pm
      Wouldn't be a bad signing , a bit in  the Paddy Berger mould we could do with this type of player that can be a goal threat as it's what we have lacked in recent times
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #28: Aug 11, 2009 05:37:35 pm
      I do not know, he had a great first season at Pompey but after that he has had injury problems and also loss of form.

Age is on his side and if he could recapture that form then maybe but i would have to wait to see if he can get some games under his belt first
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #29: Aug 11, 2009 06:40:10 pm
      i would be happy, is there any new links to this feller
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,334 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #30: Aug 11, 2009 07:23:18 pm
      He was one of my favourite players of the season 07-08, I remember I really wanted us to sign him instead of Riera who I didn't know very well. I would still be happy if we got him but maybe not so sure if he will provide us the quality we were expecting with the likes of David Silva or Sneijder, since he was very quiet last season. Anyway, I think for the price quoted I wouldn't mind him, he has the potential to be a great player to the squad.
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 612 posts |
      Reply #31: Aug 11, 2009 10:22:16 pm
      Kranjcar off next summer
      Pompey playmaker announces decision to leave Fratton Park
      Niko Kranjcar has no intention of signing a new contract at Portsmouth and will leave the club next summer.

The Croatia international joined Pompey from Hajduk Split in 2006 and has become a firm fans' favourite at Fratton Park.

Blessed with outstanding natural ability, the 24-year-old has quickly become one of the Premier League's top talents.

The speed in which has was initially able to adapt to the English game has made him a target for some of Europe's top clubs in the past, with a big-money move often touted.

He has remained loyal to Portsmouth throughout the speculation, but has now made it clear that his time on the South Coast is coming to a close.

With financial troubles currently hindering Pompey's plans for the future, Kranjcar feels he needs to move on in order to fulfil his own lofty ambitions.

"For now I am staying, but we have not strengthened like I would have liked us to," he said.

"That's why I will not sign a new contract. It's one more season for me and then I'm off."

Revelation

The news will come as a major blow to Portsmouth boss Paul Hart, as he has already been forced to part with a number of his top stars.

The Fratton Park chief is, however, tipping summer signing Frederic Piquionne for big things, and the Frenchman could yet help to soften the blow of Kranjcar's inevitable departure.

"He's a good, honest lad who runs hard and heads it well," said Hart.

"He is going to be a problem for Premier League defenders. He's played up front on his own before so he's aware of what's needed and he caused Rangers problems (in a recent friendly).

"The lad puts defenders under pressure, he has that movement down the channels and as a manager you want the ability to run in behind.

"His enthusiasm and willingness to run behind the defence has been a revelation for us.

"I'm sure he can adapt but you have got to be prepared and let him settle in and find his feet. I hope he will have an impact on the Premier League.

"That's what he wants and he's had a couple of quiet seasons, now he's trying to prove people wrong."

Looks like a we could get him free next season.
      If we win the league, we'd be his preferred destination.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #32: Aug 12, 2009 04:19:08 am
      Why wouldnt they sell now and get some cash for him? They have debt, which is why they've let go of Glen and Crouchy, so why let him go on a free for only one more season when they could get upwards of 10m for him?

Odd.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #33: Aug 12, 2009 06:11:17 am
      They will sell if we come  up with the right offer.

He was only giving his reasoning for refusing to sign a new contract.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #34: Aug 12, 2009 11:09:19 am
      But Hart said he wants to keep the rest of his stars?
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Reply #35: Aug 12, 2009 11:33:10 am
      Cracking player, would think he would be a brilliant player, especially for only 7mill. But, I don't think we would then be able to sign the defender that we need. But Kranjkar can play all across midfield and behind the strikers, offers us a lot of options as Rafa would say ;)

Would welcome him happily here.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,984 posts | 5042 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #36: Aug 12, 2009 02:20:40 pm
      Good addition for £7m, adds depth to the sqaud, he is veratile, experienced premiership player, scores goals, decent fotballing brain, and would make a good creator, sound good value for money to me.... Go get him Rafa!
      beardofzeus
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 47 posts |
      Reply #37: Aug 12, 2009 04:07:41 pm
      Bold move to come out and say I'm off...can't imagine the Pompey faithful will be too nice to him...if I were Pompey, I'd sell not...to us!

Then again, at this rate Pompey won't have a team left
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,334 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #38: Aug 12, 2009 08:14:32 pm
      I think for him to say he wont sign a new contract is like sending a message to Pompey "sell me to not lose me for nothing next season" and warning possible interested clubs that it wont be difficult to take him away from the Fratton Park.

Unless we are still serious about signing David Silva or anyone better, I would certainly go for Kranjcar.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #39: Aug 12, 2009 09:52:38 pm
      I like this guy Kranjcar, what you get out of him ia a good all round squad player, someone like him would fit in. He says he is running out his contract by saying one more year, so would portsmouth sell if offered a few mill, or would they rather keep him so he can help them stay up and then see him go for nought....
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #40: Aug 12, 2009 10:09:54 pm
      I'd say if he is not capable of walking into our Starting XI do not buy him and that goes for any player as it serves no purpose to be signing squad players (exceptions for CB and RB, where we are looking short in depth), If were looking to Strengthen the squad the signing(s) should be able to dislodge an established first team member and that player becomes a squad player IMO.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #41: Aug 13, 2009 04:45:34 am
      I'd say if he is not capable of walking into our Starting XI do not buy him and that goes for any player as it serves no purpose to be signing squad players (exceptions for CB and RB, where we are looking short in depth), If were looking to Strengthen the squad the signing(s) should be able to dislodge an established first team member and that player becomes a squad player IMO.

Niko could very well be a starting XI player if he can play up to his ability, left side really is up for grabs with Yossi, Babel and Riera.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,932 posts | 826 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #42: Aug 13, 2009 01:53:50 pm
      I am not sure i have a feeling Riera will make the left side his own this season.
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #43: Aug 13, 2009 03:45:16 pm
      I agree he has good technical ability but seems to be a bit of a sulk when things don't go his way. However, the more creative options we have in the team, the better.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #44: Aug 15, 2009 12:08:15 pm
      One of those players I've always liked tbh. Love to see him here
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #45: Aug 15, 2009 12:24:47 pm
      Well Silva looks like a bit of a pipe dream at the moment so I don't think Kranjcar would be a bad signing. He showed what he could do when he first went to Pompey and although he's gone a bit cold since then I think a coach like Rafa could get him back to his best. And with the prices that some players are moving for nowadays, £6 million certainly wouldn't be a bad price.

Quick Reply