Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

Club Vs Country: Where do you stand?

Read 12400 times
      T-Unit-LFC
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts | 11 
      • We Won It 5 Times!
      Re: Club Vs Country: Where do you stand?
      Reply #92: Aug 12, 2009 08:00:13 pm
      Saying all that, i've just cheered when Kuyt's scored, and because it's at the fault of Rio Ferdinand makes it that much better :-D. Of course i want England to win, but im glad Kuyt's scored and that Rio's been shown to look like a donkey haha!!
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #93: Aug 12, 2009 08:40:58 pm
      Liverpool 100%

Can't F***ing stand England.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #94: Aug 12, 2009 08:45:18 pm
      Good pass Gareth Barry................. :lmao:

(It wasnt about the money .....was it?)

There is only one team and that is Liverpool Football Club.

Nothing else exists.
      jack
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 298 posts |
      Reply #95: Aug 12, 2009 08:47:06 pm
      Easy Liverpool
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #96: Aug 12, 2009 08:50:52 pm
      Liverpool all the time.

Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 761 posts | 40 
      Reply #97: Aug 12, 2009 08:55:08 pm
      Liverpool every time,although i do watch the England games. Can't understand why they are playing these friendlys the in the week before most leagues start ffs,recipy for disaster if you ask me!!!!!  
      beardofzeus
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 47 posts |
      Reply #98: Aug 12, 2009 10:29:33 pm
      Great footballing question but I have to go with the forum majority and go for club over country. When it comes to tournaments, I am behind England but I am nowhere near as affected by defeats nationally as I am at club level.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #99: Aug 13, 2009 12:33:09 am
      Don't have to think for a second club all the way if it was up to me i would make all Liverpool players retire from national football.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #100: Aug 13, 2009 12:41:45 am
      I stand well within Liverpool's bounds.

F**k off England, bollocks to your World Cup claim!  I actually enjoyed watching Spain and seeing no England in the Euro's!
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #101: Aug 13, 2009 12:43:15 am
      I enjoyed Spain as well but the thrill of that tournament was the sheer brilliance in Holland's performance's over the tournament !
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #102: Aug 13, 2009 12:53:11 am
      Well judging by the 3-0 defeat to the Aussie's tonight :lmao:, Its just i dont give a flying F**k about my country and never did.

Liverpool and thats it end of.
      FAHERBY
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts |
      Reply #103: Aug 13, 2009 02:57:46 am
      Your comments demonstrate wisdom Lord Kenny :) Liverpool are all the way! And I am an Aussie!
      Liverpool_babe
      • Forum John Toshack

• 275 posts |
      • So maybe not our year... I still love LFC!
      Reply #104: Aug 13, 2009 04:07:12 am
      I believe that a players priority is a very delicate subject.. My personal opinion is if it's for a friendly or a game that doesn't technically matter (i.e. World Cup qualifiers for a country thats already qualified) A-Grade players such as Gerrard, Nando, etc should not be asked to play and risk injury. It should be an opprotunity for the have to have a chance to step in and show what they're made of.

The managers of the country should be aware that clubs risk their main players when this happens, and as has happened to us in so many cases - Spain, Holland and England play and we have no players left due to injury. There has to be some discretion and some kind of agreement between club and country managers.

If it wasn't for clubs nurturing and getting the players in tip top condition, then what would their country do? They go hand in hand and as such managers need to view it as such, rather than club vs country.

If its for a competition such as the World Cup, I believe its country over club. It's a thank you to that country, in the case of Nando - thanks to Spain and Atletico Madrid, Gerrard - thanks to England and Liverpool. It's showing the devotion and giving thanks to their country of origin.

FAHERBY
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts |
      Reply #105: Aug 13, 2009 07:12:21 am
      I believe that a players priority is a very delicate subject.. My personal opinion is if it's for a friendly or a game that doesn't technically matter (I.e. World Cup qualifiers for a country thats already qualified) A-Grade players such as Gerrard, Nando, etc should not be asked to play and risk injury. It should be an opprotunity for the have to have a chance to step in and show what they're made of.

The managers of the country should be aware that clubs risk their main players when this happens, and as has happened to us in so many cases - Spain, Holland and England play and we have no players left due to injury. There has to be some discretion and some kind of agreement between club and country managers.

If it wasn't for clubs nurturing and getting the players in tip top condition, then what would their country do? They go hand in hand and as such managers need to view it as such, rather than club vs country.

If its for a competition such as the World Cup, I believe its country over club. It's a thank you to that country, in the case of Nando - thanks to Spain and Atletico Madrid, Gerrard - thanks to England and Liverpool. It's showing the devotion and giving thanks to their country of origin.

Me being an Aussie, it is totally dependant on the type of game that is being played. IF Australia is playing for the World Cup, then we bring all our european players back over, however if it's the Asian Cup - like the Euro Cup, then all the Aussie based players are going to be selected. During this year Australia played a few games for the Aisan Cup & there was not even 1 european based playe selectedr. Our manager Pim Verbank ( Dutch Master) in his spare time goes around to the big clubs negotiating fro the Tim Cahills, Lucas Neills to play for their Country.
      I think this is very important for both Country , Club & player & maybe this should be looked at by FIFA to assist the player as they are really sandwiched between all this struggle & then depending on the players club , they may not like to give their club spot up for the country . What do you think Liverpool_babe?
      Liverpool_babe
      • Forum John Toshack

• 275 posts |
      • So maybe not our year... I still love LFC!
      Reply #106: Aug 13, 2009 10:16:53 am
      Totally agree and seeing as most of our players in 1st team are Europe based there should be some kind of allowance for that.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,471 posts | 4592 
      Reply #107: Aug 13, 2009 11:36:30 am
      I stand for my country which is LIVERPOOL.
      Coutinho_10
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 461 posts |
      • Don't take yourself too seriously...
      Reply #108: Aug 13, 2009 12:41:38 pm
      Liverpool is definitely number one for me, I've always said it. Some of my mates say it's wrong but i don't give a toss to be honest. I even prefer Spain over England due to the fact there are more Liverpool players and that I'm half Spanish.
      Coutinho_10
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 461 posts |
      • Don't take yourself too seriously...
      Reply #109: Aug 13, 2009 12:44:49 pm
      Liverpool is definitely number one for me, I've always said it. Some of my mates say it's wrong but i don't give a toss to be honest. I even prefer Spain over England due to the fact there are more Liverpool players and that I'm half Spanish.
      And the way i look at it, i like every single Liverpool player, but i don't like every England player. I mean come on would any of you actually 'support' and cheer on the likes of Ferdinand, Rooney, Fat Frank, Cashley Cole etc? I know i wouldn't.
      Kevin81
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #110: Aug 13, 2009 12:45:30 pm
      country, club, wag
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #111: Aug 13, 2009 01:05:47 pm
      Only this nation in one city matters, liverpool should play in the world cup, as we are not english we are scouse.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #112: Aug 13, 2009 01:21:07 pm
      My personal opinion is if it's for a friendly or a game that doesn't technically matter (i.e. World Cup qualifiers for a country thats already qualified) A-Grade players such as Gerrard, Nando, etc should not be asked to play and risk injury. It should be an opprotunity for the have to have a chance to step in and show what they're made of.

Nail on the head IMO.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #113: Aug 13, 2009 01:30:00 pm
      I'm not anti-England, but I have to admit I'm just not fussed about their results, especially meaningless matches like friendlies.

That being said, I'd never cheer against them, especially not when some of our players play their hearts out for their country.

When I was a kid I was far more interested in England's matches, especially during the World Cups of 1986 and 1990. We had some great players and some fantastic matches, but since then my interest has diminished into almost nothing.

I don't know if the modern game has increased rivalries between the top clubs, I don't think it has. Instead, I think the massive injection of money into the Premier League has rendered many of the top clubs and players more despicable in my eyes. I didn't really like opposition players as a kid, but nowadays I find them almost unbearable with their huge mansions and flash lifestyles.

Maybe as I've grown up I've just become more aware of what goes on off the field, and what is said to the press, I don't know. What's sure is that I'd love our (Liverpool based) English stars all the success in the world, but seeing them win silverware for England would mean almost nothing to me apart from being happy for them individually.

On the other hand, if Liverpool win the league or another trophy this coming season, I'll be bouncing off the walls, and that's the difference for me.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #114: Aug 13, 2009 01:37:13 pm
      What is the sense of interupting the pre season training regime for some half arsed friendly that means absolutely nothing to this club or its supporters and when our star man indicates that he is not 100% fit for the debacle he is castigated and abused. Even when Steven Gerrard turns in a memorable performance for his country there is always a section of the media or England "supporters" giving him grief for something or other and don't worry they leave no stone unturned, as recent events will testify.
                                                                                        The time has come to put an end to this charade and show the ungrateful cynics the error of their ways cause one things for sure they need Carra and Stevie far more than the lads need them and at this stage in their career LFC is the priority - end of.   

Quick Reply