Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

The Steven Gerrard Effect

Read 5942 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: The Steven Gerrard Effect
      Reply #23: Oct 08, 2009 11:24:32 am
      I think fans and critics alike will be saying Stevie is unfortunately "past it".

......accuse me of being a Manc, but I am only venting my frustration at what has really been an abismal start to the season by Stevie G.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?.....okay...... I don't think "fans" will be saying Stevie is past it. Well not Liverpool fans anyhow.

Stevie has scored three and 'set-up' another four goals in eight games; to suggest that he has had an "abysmal" (proper spelling btw) start to the season is, quite frankly, the biggest pile of sh*te I've ever read. It actually hurts me to give any sort of credence to the initial post by replying. This will be my last post on the subject.
      JerilKuruvila
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #24: Oct 08, 2009 11:49:14 am
      Stevie G....The Force....
      The Best Midfielder in world.....And Of course the Best Captain :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #25: Oct 08, 2009 01:08:05 pm
      I cannot believe that any Liverpool fan thinks Stevie G is past it,i still believe he is the best midfielder in the world and will prove the doubters wrong.
      Coutinho_10
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 461 posts |
      • Don't take yourself too seriously...
      Reply #26: Oct 08, 2009 01:23:37 pm
      Of course he's still the best midfielder in the world, he's just having a bad patch, even Steven Gerrard goes through bad patches you know.
      Every footballer is always going to have some critics, it's just part and parcel of the job.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #27: Oct 08, 2009 02:12:40 pm
      I just think he needs to run abit more. His defensive efforts have deteriorated and it really kills me when we're losing or struggling, he just expects the ball to come to him.

His attitude has been almost one of, 'I'm too good to do it myself'. It's a very big call and i know he doesn't see himself bigger than the club but he really needs to find some grit. We all know he is a wanted man on the pitch, stop him and our attack does seem to falter but he hasn't done anything about it as yet.

However, it is Steven Gerrard we're talking about. He will definitely come good and TheFella, you'll feel mightily thick for doubting a legend. He isn't Paul Scholes, yet ;)
      TheFella
      • Forum Gary McAllister
      • Started Topic

• 90 posts | -2 
      Reply #28: Oct 08, 2009 02:19:17 pm
      I just think he needs to run abit more. His defensive efforts have deteriorated and it really kills me when we're losing or struggling, he just expects the ball to come to him.

His attitude has been almost one of, 'I'm too good to do it myself'. It's a very big call and I know he doesn't see himself bigger than the club but he really needs to find some grit. We all know he is a wanted man on the pitch, stop him and our attack does seem to falter but he hasn't done anything about it as yet.

However, it is Steven Gerrard we're talking about. He will definitely come good and TheFella, you'll feel mightily thick for doubting a legend. He isn't Paul Scholes, yet ;)

Not the best English midfielder of his generation you mean? ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #29: Oct 08, 2009 02:22:42 pm

I read 'Not the best English midfielder of his generation' and straight away knew your not talking about Gerrard.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #30: Oct 08, 2009 02:24:31 pm

Have to disagree with that to be honest.

I'm saying this as a fan of football and not a Liverpool fan through red tinted glasses

But Steven Gerrard and Paul Scholes in their prime, Steven Gerrard is the winner he has many more attributes to his game than Scholes ever did.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #31: Oct 08, 2009 02:38:17 pm
      Thoughts?.....okay...... I don't think "fans" will be saying Stevie is past it. Well not Liverpool fans anyhow.

Stevie has scored three and 'set-up' another four goals in eight games; to suggest that he has had an "abysmal" (proper spelling btw) start to the season is, quite frankly, the biggest pile of sh*te I've ever read. It actually hurts me to give any sort of credence to the initial post by replying. This will be my last post on the subject.
      The people who give Gerrard stick are all the same cynical,bitter, other club types who if the chance to sign the same player came up they would be cheering him week in week out.Whoever captains LFC will come in for the same kind of jealous critcism and it's almost a habit now but does it bother us? does it sh*te!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #32: Oct 08, 2009 02:47:08 pm
      Steven Gerrard is no doubt one of the best English player in the last decade or so. He's very influential and inspiring as well and I know he will perform but it's just a matter of time.

I've stated in my previous post why I think he hasn't been on top of his game but I don't buy the fact - he's "past it". Saying he's past it is just too harsh from any Liverpool fan especially since what he done for us, his boyhood club.

Like crouchinho stated, I also think Steven Gerrard needs to run abit more. At times he is seen to just wait for the ball to come to him. But believe me, Stevie will hit top gear sooner rather than later.
      TheFella
      • Forum Gary McAllister
      • Started Topic

• 90 posts | -2 
      Reply #33: Oct 08, 2009 02:52:05 pm
      Have to disagree with that to be honest.

I'm saying this as a fan of football and not a Liverpool fan through red tinted glasses

But Steven Gerrard and Paul Scholes in their prime, Steven Gerrard is the winner he has many more attributes to his game than Scholes ever did.

Only messing, Gerrard just about shades it me thinks.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #34: Oct 08, 2009 02:59:55 pm
      Damn you secret manc b***ard :D

Most definetely not past it though, I have had enough spiel's about this so i aint going into it again. But he will come good, no worries there
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #35: Oct 08, 2009 03:17:45 pm
      Nobody's complaining about Fat Frank. I don't even recall he's being up to scratch this season. Compared to Gerrard I think he's far more crappier this season.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #36: Oct 08, 2009 03:19:03 pm
      Lampard hasn't hit the back of the net this season except for a penalty.

I believe Steven Gerrard will get back to his best when Aquilani comes into the side.
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #37: Oct 08, 2009 03:26:33 pm
      I really cant entertain this post.. it is October, early October at that, he hasn't hit second gear yet... the team has started slow, but were still more than in it, patience is a virtue.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #38: Oct 08, 2009 03:28:16 pm
      Fatty definitely has been below Gerrard, major point that. Yet no one has really mentioned that anywhere have they? Gerrard still has a couple fantastic strikes to his credit, and was more seen in the game Sunday than fatty was.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #39: Oct 08, 2009 03:38:42 pm
      Steven Gerrard is, and will be for the next five years, the best all round player in the Premiership. If Aquilani turns out to be the sensation we all expect, then this predicament will become a distant memory. It's not Gerrard's form that's dipping, it's the form of the team that has dipped, football is an eleven man game.

I could go into a five paragraph ramble but i'm fu**ed after my night shift. So i'm going to concentrate it into one sentence.

"You are only as good as the players around you".

And to be totally honest, this season so far, the players have not been up to an acceptable standard.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      Reply #40: Oct 08, 2009 03:42:09 pm
      I can tell you names who flunked below Gerrard. Remember Nani on how he's going to be the next Ronaldo after that ladyboy left? Well, I don't see him. Ashley Young for Villa, Tim Cahill and that Afro guy for bitters, Ireland for Man City. Didn't see them performing that good either. At least Gerrard scored 3 goals and like I said before he has to carry both midfield and attacking duties at the same time. Why all of the sudden complaining about his form? Well Capello for starters never left him out of England. It's like Gerrard is Mr. England right now. Tell me, can you see Frankie 200 pounds playing other than central midfield area?
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #41: Oct 08, 2009 03:50:24 pm
      I would only be worried if the whole team is performing well except for Gerrard.
      However, this isn't the case. Everyone is not performing at their best yet. Stevie is just another player having a bad patch. Form is temporary and class is permament, he'll be back when the team gets settled down.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      Reply #42: Oct 08, 2009 04:01:27 pm
      You shouldn't expect Gerrard to be on top of his form everytime he plays. Ask any other great players like Zidane or Maradonna, they too had their bad days. I don't see any decrease in performance. All I can see was a player, a captain and a team player who working his sock off to cover and to make things happens.
      FabulousAurelio
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 537 posts | 11 
      Reply #43: Oct 08, 2009 04:07:07 pm
      Anyone who thinks Steven Gerrard is past it at the age of 29 seriously needs their head examined.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #44: Oct 08, 2009 04:08:19 pm
      Anyone who thinks Steven Gerrard is past it at the age of 29 seriously needs their head examined. is a Manc.

Tidied that up a little bit.

;)
      FabulousAurelio
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 537 posts | 11 
      Reply #45: Oct 08, 2009 04:13:14 pm

Ha ha spot on! :D

Quick Reply