Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

The Steven Gerrard Effect

Read 5930 times
      TheFella
      • Forum Gary McAllister
      • Started Topic

• 90 posts | -2 
      Re: The Steven Gerrard Effect
      Reply #46: Oct 08, 2009 04:17:46 pm
      It's been considered by a lot of neutral fans, But I do think a large number of Liverpool fans in general are biased towards their players and are perhaps blinded by nostalgia or love for a player.
      FabulousAurelio
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 537 posts | 11 
      Reply #47: Oct 08, 2009 04:21:27 pm
      It's been considered by a lot of neutral fans, But I do think a large number of Liverpool fans in general are biased towards their players and are perhaps blinded by nostalgia or love for a player.

I genuinely don't know anyone, even a manc, that would consider him past it. Frankly I think that argument is insane.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #48: Oct 08, 2009 04:24:34 pm
      I do think a large number of Liverpool fans in general are biased towards their players

Well, this is a Liverpool forum and we are Liverpool fans?

Then which Man United player would you consider as being 'past their prime'?
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #49: Oct 08, 2009 04:29:28 pm

I have to say this mate, the only thing that has blinded me with regards to Gerrard, is his brilliance. That's not biased by the way, that's just fact. Ask any fan of any team in the world if they'd love to have Gerrard in their team, and they'd all say yes, that's excluding the jealous fuckers who'd say no, just because they know he'd never leave this club, ever.

Where's bigger than Liverpool? Nowhere. And that's a fact too.  ;D
      TheFella
      • Forum Gary McAllister
      • Started Topic

• 90 posts | -2 
      Reply #50: Oct 08, 2009 04:32:01 pm
      Well, this is a Liverpool forum and we are Liverpool fans?

Then which Man United player would you consider as being 'past their prime'?

Gary Neville
      FabulousAurelio
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 537 posts | 11 
      Reply #51: Oct 08, 2009 04:36:46 pm
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #52: Oct 08, 2009 04:41:54 pm
      Ask any fan of any team in the world if they'd love to have Gerrard in their team, and they'd all say yes

I'm sure most if not all manager want him in their team too. What I'm trying to say is, Steven Gerrard is probably one of the best players in the world in this last decade and even if I wasn't a Liverpool fan, I'd say the same.
      TheFella
      • Forum Gary McAllister
      • Started Topic

• 90 posts | -2 
      Reply #53: Oct 08, 2009 04:53:44 pm

You don't really have a clue. Scholes has been great this season. The only bad game he has had this season was against Sunderland, where he was sh*t. Do yourself a favour and don't comment on things you don't have the slightest clue of.
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #54: Oct 08, 2009 04:56:59 pm
      This is old news but I think at least people could see the greatness in Steven Gerrard. I only take the part of Gerrard.
      How similar are Wayne Rooney and Steven Gerrard?
      It’s hard not to be impressed by Steven Gerrard. He gives his 110% on the pitch every game, no matter what the occasion and quite remarkably, has trascended to a level of playing where he just bangs out games at high consistency, without any hint of a drop in form.

He is the Liverpool captain, a Scouser by heart and soul and a product of the Liverpool academy. Despite the chances and temptations of greener pastures in London, Gerrard has stuck to his roots (for whatever reasons) and since winning the Champions League has refused to look back at what he left behind.

He has critics - he’s not so great as to avoid any criticism - but no one can deny the drive and quality he brings to the game. There are always questions about his ability to change the game or have any meaningful impact, whether he can show up in the big games…these questions are always answered with a match-turning goal or a superhuman performance, and the critics are silenced once again.

Under Rafael Benitez Gerrard has been pushed out to the right wing, from where he doesn’t do as much damage as before, but don’t let that fool you - he is the one Liverpool player ANY club in the world would snap up in a heartbeat - and that is praise enough for one of the top midfielders in the world.

Gerrard is tactically astute, can cross and play on the wings, can trackback, defend and tackles well, has a vicious shot and quality finishing to go with it, can play the Hollywood passes as well as the simple ones and is, perhaps, one of the most complete players in the business.
      http://soccerlens.com/wayne-rooney-vs-steven-gerrard/1555/
      FabulousAurelio
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 537 posts | 11 
      Reply #55: Oct 08, 2009 05:00:22 pm
      You don't really have a clue. Scholes has been great this season. The only bad game he has had this season was against Sunderland, where he was sh*t. Do yourself a favour and don't comment on things you don't have the slightest clue of.

Look Scholes obviously ain't the player he was a few years ago. Your saying I don't have a clue! I'm not the one who started a thread saying Steven Gerrard is past it!
      Do yourself a favour and don't start threads on things you don't have the slightest clue of.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #56: Oct 08, 2009 05:25:11 pm

Apologies that he isn't a Manc, too.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #57: Oct 09, 2009 02:14:27 am
      stats over a season really are hard evidence if a player is is starting to slow up.
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #58: Oct 09, 2009 04:45:26 am
      Good post mate, but I just think he's struggling for form at the minute and tbh he has never had as bad a start to a season before. As regards the 8-9/10 rating per match. Well, that has declined rapidly now imo. The chelsea game for instance, I would give him a 6, same with the Villa and Fiorentina games......

He also is playing out of position compared to the position he excelled in last year, behind Torres.
      walkergirl
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #59: Oct 09, 2009 12:48:02 pm
      Show us you haven't forgotten which is your place in the team, do so!!
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #60: Oct 09, 2009 04:29:15 pm
      What about Steven Gerrard Effect? If I put my foot up your a**e that should leave an effect. I'm with Zidane and if he said Gerrard is the best, he is the BEST!
      Zidane hails Gerrard as best in the world
      • French master compares Liverpool captain to Makelele
      • 'He gives the players around him belief. You can't learn that'
      Zinedine Zidane believes Liverpool's Steven Gerrard is currently the best player in the world, eclipsing Lionel Messi of Barcelona and Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo. The former France and Real Madrid midfielder saw Gerrard score twice against his old club in the Champions League during the week and said teams need players like Gerrard to be the "engine room" for the flair players to thrive, comparing the Liverpool captain to his former team-mate Claude Makelele.

"Is he the best in the world? He might not get the attention of [Lionel] Messi and Ronaldo but, yes, I think he just might be," Zidane said. "If you don't have a player like Steven Gerrard, who is the engine room, it can affect the whole team.

"When we were winning league titles and European Cups at Real, I always said Claude Makelele was our most important player. There is no way myself, [Luis] Figo or Raúl would have been able to do what we did without Claude and the same goes for Liverpool and Gerrard.

"He has great passing ability, can tackle and scores goals, but most importantly he gives the players around him confidence and belief. You can't learn that – players like him are just born with that presence.
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/mar/13/zinedine-zidane-steven-gerrard-liverpool
      See the bold line?

Quick Reply