Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Pre Match: Liverpool v Manchester United (EPL 25/10/09 2:00pm)

Read 21330 times
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Pre Match: Liverpool v Manchester United (EPL 25/10/09 2:00pm)
      Oct 22, 2009 01:28:31 pm
      We're back to EPL football after the disappointment against Lyon. This is going to be a potentially very tough encounter, so obviously we hope for our stars like Johnson, Gerrard and Torres to be fit and come back in time to play this game.

The last time we played United at home in the EPL was the 2-1 win last year, which I'm sure everyone remembers very fondly of. We did it without Torres and Gerrard came off the bench, so I don't see why can't we win if they fail to recover on time at all.

The last four defeats have been demoralising, depressing and some of us are already thinking if Rafa is the man to lead us to the EPL, considering his baffling substitutions. However, what can the manager need now but backing from the fans? In arguably one of his most difficult times with Liverpool, and with sacking not the right thing to do now, we have to throw our full support behind our manager.

The players have also rightly admitted they ain't up to standard. Well, we've got a game as important as anything here, and if we get anything a win out of this we'll be 4 points behind, back in the title race and importantly the run of defeats is gonna be over.

We've got a game coming up, let's not dwell on Lyon but focus on the future.

'When you walk through a storm.. hold your head up high.'

a few verses later..

'At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky.'

Come on Redmen!!

YNWA.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Pre Match: Liverpool v Manchester United (EPL 25/10/09 2:00pm)
      Reply #1: Oct 22, 2009 01:34:11 pm
      Best game we could have following the last couple of games. Why? Because our fans will be well up for it and give full backing to the boys after the outburst of booing on Tuesday. Also the lads will rise up for it. If this was a bottom 2 in League 2 you'd raise your game for it.

A win on Sunday and not only do we close the gap but should lift the gloom around the place. And I for one fully believe we will bag the 3 points.

If as it seems Stevie is out Id like to see Yossi play behind Nando 
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,286 posts | 2765 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2: Oct 22, 2009 01:54:50 pm
      Whatever the outcome its going to be a hard fought game. We couldn't be playing you at a better time as most of you will know. Will you're big two be playing? not sure we will know the answer to that till Sunday afternoon  ;D. United are not playing well so think it will go close. Will settle for a draw myself even though Liverpool are playing bad. 1 point at Anfield will still be a good result for United. Go on you reds!
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #3: Oct 22, 2009 02:08:35 pm
      It will be hell for the mans, I am sure of that.
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #4: Oct 22, 2009 02:11:05 pm
      We're due a win, who better to get it against than Manchester United?  ;)

This, for me, is Rafa's most important game since he joined us. If we lose we're 10 points off the top, win and we close the gap to 4. We are playing awful, even when Torres and Stevie are fit. I think Gerrard will make it but Torres wont, which is okay cause' Kuyt has a hunger against big teams. I can see us winning, but only because this is vital and when it is a vital game we get our arse's in gear - that and the fans should be up for it which always helps us

I'll go with 3-1 - Kuyt to grab a couple and Johnson to get a goal.  ;D
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,286 posts | 2765 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5: Oct 22, 2009 02:15:01 pm
      It will be hell for the mans, I am sure of that.

I don't think there's any doubt about that ;D
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,286 posts | 2765 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #6: Oct 22, 2009 02:20:36 pm
      We're due a win, who better to get it against than Manchester United?  ;)

This, for me, is Rafa's most important game since he joined us. If we lose we're 10 points off the top, win and we close the gap to 4. We are playing awful, even when Torres and Stevie are fit. I think Gerrard will make it but Torres wont, which is okay cause' Kuyt has a hunger against big teams. I can see us winning, but only because this is vital and when it is a vital game we get our arse's in gear - that and the fans should be up for it which always helps us

I'll go with 3-1 - Kuyt to grab a couple and Johnson to get a goal.  ;D

Absolutely due a win, that's what frightens me ;D. You scousers will be up for it more than United fans. i think United fans buzz will come when they throw the beach balls on the pitch at some time ;D. Hope i'm wrong but got a feeling in my blood if things don't go well there could be plenty of crown trouble which will make the news rather than the football match.

Lets hope its a great game anyway. I will go 2 -1 United hopefully.
      redman147
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts | -1 
      Reply #7: Oct 22, 2009 02:41:05 pm
      Why are you on this board? Pointless!

We need a huge performance this wekend. Come on you reds! Wonder what reception Owen will get??!!
      passenger815
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 62 posts |
      Reply #8: Oct 22, 2009 02:49:11 pm
      I've every every belief that we'll do them come sunday. Tues night was just a rallying call, we're at our most dangerous when our backs are against the wall!

YNWA!!!
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #9: Oct 22, 2009 02:52:40 pm
      I'm not going to get my expectations up. After every game we've lost this season I've always thought "We'll sort ourselves out in the next game and kick ass". I'll just see whether the players can be bothered play. If they sort themselves out,  hooray. If they don't then It'll be another weekend that Liverpool have ruined for me. Gerrard had better be playing in Centre mid. We need some control in the game. If he plays beihnd the striker he will just get isolated and be out of the game.
      bgwdivemaster
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 357 posts |
      Reply #10: Oct 22, 2009 02:54:03 pm
      Unfortunately I have to side with the hype on this one.  We HAVE to win this match.  Not just title race but confidence wise too.  I appreciate Carragher's tenacity and admire his enthusiasm but we need to whole team fired up.  Every single player needs to be angry and ready to unleash hell.

I'll be wearing all of my LFC gear and doing a rain dance in the garden pre-match.  

I really hope Torres and Gerrard are somehow match fit.  Please for the love of God and every Holy be match fit!
      « Last Edit: Oct 22, 2009 03:26:03 pm by bgwdivemaster »
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #11: Oct 22, 2009 03:44:44 pm
      It's been a tough few weeks, with injuries to key players, not the easiest games, and as always, the press right on our back but i'm optimistic going into this game.

In the last four games, other than the poor performances, there's been something missing. We're still taking more than one attempt to clear the ball when it gets put in our box, we're not creating enough chances and not taking the ones we do. The only consistent performer has been Yossi Benayoun ( and Reina can only pull off so many saves when he's exposed so much).

Once again, injuries put Torres and Gerrard out when they're hitting top form so when that happens, you need other players to step up and make a name for themselves and prove the idiot pundits wrong that we're not a "2 man team" .

But it just seems that the way(since last season) the team play has depended on Gerrard or Alonso to be at the center of an attack and now that Xabi's gone, with Gerrard injured, not many players know how to fill his shoes.

As i say Reina has been at his usual best lately but with the amount of chances the opposition has been getting (not to mention novelty balls getting in the way) he's bound to find it hard to keep clean sheets. I'm still convinced Carragher's still got it and that he's just finding it hard to cope with when the defenders around him are making mistakes too, Skrtel has had minor injuries, for me Insua, although i really liked him last season, just doesn't quite have it, age and experience will benefit him in the coming season(s) though. Glen Johnson has probably been our best player this season along with Yossi, he's getting forward and i'm sure could fill in at right mid from time to time because he's so good at keeping possession and beating his man to put in a cross. And from what i saw the other night, Martin Kelly doesn't look a bad replacement for him :)

For me the big problem is the midfield of late. Mascherano has gone off the boil lately. He used to be able to just sit off the midfield infront of the defence and break up the other team's attack but without Gerrard and Xabi, It's like he feels he has to be more attacking instead which is leaving him out of his natural and very effective position. I've said enough about Benayoun, doing his job really well, creating chances, taking them, and keeping possession. Dare i say sometimes he even looks like a great replacement for Stevie. Listen to the footy phone ins on 96.7 and the "fans" will still all blame Lucas for a defeat and poor team effort but in my view, he's doing his job. He's not a great goalscorer for an attacking midfielder but the problem with him and Masch in the middle is that to me, it looks more like Javier wants to attack when we're up against it whilst Lucas sits back and keeps possesion. It should be the other way round but Lucas still lacks the confidence to get more involved in attacks thanks to the boo boys at EVERY game  :-\. Given time and confidence he'll settle into the team nicely. I can already see a massive improvement in his gameplay since last season when i wasn't so sure on him.

The left wing remains a problem. Whether it be Aurelio or Riera playing there, we don't creat enough chance from that side of the field. I haven't been a fan of Riera for a while now, he just seems to only play for 60 minutes (if he's on his game) and then drift off and become a certain substitute. I'm not really sure where Aurelio's best position is but i'd probably have to say he's our best current LB. I've always been a huge admirer of Dirk Kuyt but now I'm starting to think he has to be played off Torres while Gerrard fills Alonso's gap. Of course that depends on what affect new boy Alberto Aquilani has. Kuyt still looks like one of the key players in every game and still deserves to be one of the first names on the team sheet, even if he has a had a few off games letely. It goes without saying that it's so bloody annoying for Torres to get ANOTHER injury when he's in fine form. 6 goals in 4 games was it? The only worry about Gerrard and el nino is ever injuries for me. Now you've got players like Ngog, Babel and Vorinin who'd all like to be able to say they can fill Torres' boots whenever he should be sidelined, but none of them have. They've all had the chances this season and you just know theyll have more of them and i'm just begging for one of them to step up and make a name for themself when key players are out.

Of course, what better game to go and do that than Sunday against the mancs.

Sorry for rabbiting on about individual squad assessments in a topic about the weekend's game but i assure you it's all coming together for my say on that.

A win against the mancs is looking like a must right now and would close the gap to 4 points. Imagine the difference that would make. A win over them with an injury stricken side, and closing the gap from they expect to be 10 points come sunday afternoon, to 4 points would be a major boost. Wouldn't half give Rafa a smile aswell  ;D

We can hope Rooney's injured but obviously even with a broken spine he'd still be raring to go in this one so i think those rumours are just typical Fergie, to try and get our hopes up until he announces that he's starting like 10 minutes before kick off. Hopefully he starts him, not fully fit, and he's easy to deal with.

Anyway, assuming that Gerrard and Torres may both not even be fit enough for the bench, here's the team i'd start on sunday against Man U.

Reina

Johnson                    Carragher                            Agger                          Aurelio

Mascherano

Babel                                  Lucas                         Benayoun           

Kuyt             

Ngog

Hopefully Gerrard will be fit (forgot to mention that's if Johnson's fit) and maybe Torres may make the bench. Even if Aquilani is fit, he's nowhere near ready to make his debut in a game of this importance. So probably Riera, Insua, Vorinin Spearing etc on the bench.

Hopefully i'll be making anohter starting XI on sunday morning when Stevie and nando are passed fit but at the moment, that's what i see happening.

Come on you redmen and....

*****IN RAFA WE TRUST*****
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #12: Oct 22, 2009 03:56:58 pm
      Usually I would say I can't wait but I'm feeling so on edge about this... F**k it. I can't wait.

Obviously hoping Johnson, Gerrard and Torres are declared fit - would be a massive boost for us and will restore a lot of confidence into the team no doubt.

If not, what sh*t luck that is.

If Torres isn't fit then no idea what we're going to do in terms of a striker to be honest, the only player I'd have some faith in playing up there to be honest is Kuyt, I'm not sure if anybody else is capable of causing problems.

As always against Manchester United though it's going to be all about the midfield battle, and F**k me does Lucas need to be on his game if he starts - which he probably will. Mascherano will have to put in a great performance too.

I'll probably post a bit more in here when the game gets slightly closer as right now I don't have a clue who will be starting - I'm not sure if Rafa does either!
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #13: Oct 22, 2009 04:32:40 pm
      Torres and Gerrard both out for this match. :(

Gerrard and Torres out of United game

October 21, 2009

Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres will both be on the sidelines for Liverpool’s clash against Manchester United.

Gerrard and Torres both had scans this morning on their respective injuries and have been ruled out of the game against United on Sunday.

Torres, who has an abdominal strain, and Gerrard, who came off against Lyon before half-time complaining of a niggle in his groin, will both be out for up to 7 days.

A source at the club said: “Both Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard had scans in the morning and will miss the game against Manchester United however, should be available against Arsenal in the Carling Cup.

“If both do not recover in time, they might feature only against Fulham on 31st October at Craven Cottage.

“Glen Johnson didn’t need a scan on his injury. He was feeling much better than he was yesterday and will be okay for the game against Man United.”

http://lfcglobe.com/gerrard-and-torres-out-of-united-game/

Not seen anything else that is official so hopefully we'll find out more later.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,286 posts | 2765 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #14: Oct 22, 2009 04:35:25 pm
      Why are you on this board? Pointless!

We need a huge performance this wekend. Come on you reds! Wonder what reception Owen will get??!!

Because i like debates. Owen will get a bad one ;D
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #15: Oct 22, 2009 04:38:01 pm

Gerrard and Torres out of United game

October 21, 2009

Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres will both be on the sidelines for Liverpool’s clash against Manchester United.

Gerrard and Torres both had scans this morning on their respective injuries and have been ruled out of the game against United on Sunday.

Torres, who has an abdominal strain, and Gerrard, who came off against Lyon before half-time complaining of a niggle in his groin, will both be out for up to 7 days.

A source at the club said: “Both Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard had scans in the morning and will miss the game against Manchester United however, should be available against Arsenal in the Carling Cup.

“If both do not recover in time, they might feature only against Fulham on 31st October at Craven Cottage.

“Glen Johnson didn’t need a scan on his injury. He was feeling much better than he was yesterday and will be okay for the game against Man United.”

http://lfcglobe.com/gerrard-and-torres-out-of-united-game/

Not seen anything else that is official so hopefully we'll find out more later.

Bad news if that's true.  How reliable is that source?
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #16: Oct 22, 2009 04:38:26 pm

Gerrard and Torres out of United game”

Deja vu.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #17: Oct 22, 2009 04:39:34 pm
      Because I like debates. Owen will get a bad one ;D

I ain't got a problem with you posting here mate. As long as you remember you are the second most successful club in English football  ;)

F**k all wrong with a bit of banter, having the crack and all that. Just make sure you're on here Sunday evening when we're celebrating giving you another almighty arse raping! Good luck, you're going to need it.  ;D
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #18: Oct 22, 2009 04:39:55 pm
      Bad news if that's true.  How reliable is that source?

I'm hoping it's not reliable at all, but it was at the front of Alonso going and Aquilani joining, and Johnson coming in so it doesn't look too good.
      « Last Edit: Oct 22, 2009 05:04:36 pm by StevieG123 »
      redsonfire
      • Started Topic

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #19: Oct 22, 2009 04:51:30 pm
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #20: Oct 22, 2009 04:58:34 pm
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #21: Oct 22, 2009 05:33:31 pm
      I don't think Torres will make it but fingers crossed, SG is out, don't know about Johnson but I think he'll be ready, after Martins debut I hope some of the players took note of how to cross a ball. I don't care who in in front of us on Sunday but with it being Owens favourite club we will need no incentive to beat them, and send them home with their tale between their legs.

Concerning their owners, they are doing to them exactally what our owners are doing to us  :f_doh: and for all the mancs who think this is a laugh, you to have all our troubles to come, it's only a matter of time..
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,142 posts | 3383 
      Reply #22: Oct 22, 2009 05:41:46 pm
      I'm more concerned with the player's attitude during the game than who isn't playing. If I see them not putting up a fight or having the heart for this match, then they shouldn't be wearing a Liverpool shirt. If you can't get up for a game against United then there's no point being here.

Last couple of games we have shown very little heart. Getting beat is never easy to take, getting beat with the performances we're dishing up is even harder to take. So it's a must that every player in Red gives his all for this game and not just go through the motions like they have been doing of late.

Not gonna say who'd I'd like to see play because on current form I'd have one player starting - Reina. Every other place is up for grabs as far as I'm concerned.

Result? Well any F***ing win, anything else is simply not good enough.

So now is the time for the lads to prove they're really up for it this year, to prove that the four defeats are just a blip and not a sign of the rest of the season. It'll give every single lover of this club a huge lift. It would be a kick in the teeth for anybody, me included, who has doubted the ability of this side.

Stand up and be counted time for the players of Liverpool Football Club. Prove you're good enough for this club. Prove you have the ability and heart for the club. And walk out to a jam packed Anfield with the hairs on your neck standing up because of the atmosphere that our fans are creating and give those scummy Manc bas**rds another F***ing hammering.

Embarrass them again. (or just win 1-0 but F***ing make sure you win)

Quick Reply