Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

The Official Jamie Ward thread

Read 10951 times
      RedLFCBlood
      The Official Jamie Ward thread
      Nov 17, 2009 01:27:45 pm
      As we have an official Paul Tomkins thread & we have our very own forumite who is a columnist on the bleacher report site who writes some very good articles indeed I think Jamie Ward is very deserving of his own thread to submit his articles. So here we go.

Paul Tomkins: Liverpool's Best Loved Football Writer Talks To Jamie Ward

Paul Tomkins: Liverpool's Best Loved Football Writer Talks To Jamie Ward

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/291996-paul-tomkins-liverpools-best-loved-football-writer-talks-to-jamie-ward

At a time when the media representation of Liverpool Football Club is at it's lowest and most vile, and all around supporters seem to be losing their way.

It's reassuring to know that at least some people out there are still able to judge the situation with honesty, common sense, integrity and a welcome dash of humor.

That is why Paul Tomkins is currently one of the most loved, critically acclaimed, and closely followed Liverpool writers around today.

Some consider Paul to be overly optimistic and dependant on twisted statistics to suit his rosetinited agenda. But those comments and accusations always seem to come from supporters who disagree with his fundamental view on Liverpool Football Club under Rafael Benitez.

Those fans who will constantly fail to see past their own bias, and would only heap praise on the published author if he produced articles that fitted with their own beliefs.

However, even if you don't share the opinions of Paul Tomkins; it's dificult to argue that he doesn't put in the hours and do his homework. Spend some time reading through his articles to see just how thorough and indepth the research goes.

The independant sports writer doesn't just spread his exceptionally researched word via the offical Liverpool website; he is also a published author, with seven very well recieved books that have topped best seller lists since he began in 2005.

The amount of work that has gone in to these Liverpool based publications is at times simply staggering, and it goes along way to backing up his opinion with unarguable facts and statistics, that prove every media myth, tabloid shark, and narrow minded supporter to be way off base.

This is not the typically shallow kneejerk opinion you would get from the large number of media hacks peddling sensationalistic headlines, and ex-player turned pundits desperate to make some money off the back of their name.

Paul Tomkins is, first and foremost, a passionate supporter of the club who simply writes about what he believes in. Love him or hate him; what you will always get is honesty, common sense, integrity, and a dash of much welcomed humor.

Was there a specific moment when you thought: I want to be a journalist?

To be honest, I have never thought that. I still donā€™t necessarily see myself as a journalist, perhaps because I never studied to be one. I kinda fell into it, starting off writing for a hobby when I first got ill, at the end of 1999.

What journalists do you consider inspirations now that you are an established writer yourself?

The more I learn, the more I realise how awful so much of the media is. There may be a lot of journalists who think they are writing insightful pieces on the Reds, but they donā€™t know enough on the subject to realise they are missing the point. Their ignorance blinds them from the truth.

Some might not care. But itā€™d be like me writing on science; I might think I understand it, but of course, beyond a superficial level, I havenā€™t got a clue.

To be honest, I find more of interest in people who take on the mass media, like Charlie Brooker in Screen Wipe/News Wipe, and Jon Stewart on The Daily Show. They tackle the hypocrisy of the media, and the agendas that drive the dumbing down of news reporting.

Have you met any of the journalists you consider inspirational or affective on your work?

No, and have no real desire to in most cases. Iā€™ve known Oliver Kay of The Times via email for a good few years now, as well as doing the same with Tony Barrett before he left the Echo, but Iā€™ve never been one for networking.

Iā€™ve seen some well known reporters walk by at airports covering Liverpool in Europe. In future, I might pelt them with rotten fruit.

What do you think about the treatment of Rafa Benitez in the English media?

I honestly think some previously respected journalists have really underestimated the depth of feeling towards them lately, after they have shown their true colours and a stunning ignorance in their attacks on Rafa BenĆ­tez.

The amount of people emailing about the likes of Henry Winter and James Lawton, asking "whatā€™s happened to these guys?". Thereā€™s been little hardcore analysis, and a lot of hot air.

Winter writes that Rafa blames everything and everyone but himself, then writes a piece saying that Alex Ferguson deserves respect after heā€™s found guilty of outrageous comments about Alan Wiley; that Ferguson deserves leeway for all heā€™s done "for St George".

I mean, what the f*** is that all about? I didnā€™t see BenĆ­tez getting a lot of praise for bringing the European Cup back to English soil. People should be judged on their crimes, not on their ability to supply expensive players to the English national team.

No-oneā€™s success gives them the right to ride roughshod over the rules. Imagine the outcry of bias if I said that Rafa should be above the law because heā€™s won a few trophies!

Itā€™s like Jon Champion on ITV constantly referring to BenĆ­tez as a "lucky" manager; as if you could have won the amount of games and trophies he has in the last eight years based on luck, especially when heā€™s had less money than rivals in both England and Spain, and real problems behind the scenes at both Valencia and Liverpool.

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever heard another manager described as "lucky" other than in the odd instant, when of course any can have fortune go for or against them. Itā€™s truly bizarre.

Iā€™d expect supporters of other clubs to be sick to their stomach if I went on TV or into a national newspaperā€“supposedly neutral media outletsā€“and launched into an ill-conceived rant about Ferguson, Wenger or Moyes. It wouldnā€™t be fair of me to do so.

Thatā€™s why I like people like Jonathan Wilson and Simon Kuper, who write about tactics and managers with real insight and, shock horror, actual research.

If you had to choose, would you only write about football, or would you further your passion in fictional writing?

Well, writing fiction was always my first aim. I fell in love with reading literature when I was about 19, having never been interested at school, all I did was draw and paint or play football.

My mum used to have to drag me back from the park after dark, as Iā€™d still be playing football!

When I was 20, I was studying Graphic Design, and I decided I wanted to be a novelist. I dropped out of college, then woke up the next morning in a blind panic, realising that I hadnā€™t got a clue what I was doing! So I went back, cap in hand, and continued with my education.

But over the years I kept plugging away on the side, doing bits here and there, trying to hone my craft. And as Iā€™d discovered with art, you know you are progressing when you find your older work to be naive, or, now youā€™ve improved and grown, relatively poor by comparison.

Can you describe your influences for your fictional writing, and what compelled you to want to write fictional books?

Ian McEwan was a favourite from the start. I was 20 when I read The Innocent, and just loved it. I like the darkness in his work, particularly his earlier stuff, which can be a mixture of beauty and brutality. Thatā€™s the kind of thing that appeals to me.

Can you write a brief description of your current work in progress?

Itā€™s a multi-layered, unconventional love story, centred around a woman who has disappeared. Iā€™ve had advance interest from publishers, and hope to have it finished in the new year.

You have an immense amount of work to be very proud of. What would you consider your pinnacle to date, and are there any you are aiming towards in the future?

ā€˜Dynasty: Fifty Years of Shanklyā€™s Liverpoolā€™, is the book Iā€™m most proud of. It lacks the really vivid first-hand accounts of Istanbul and Athens that two of my other books have, but I think itā€™s a great achievement for me, given the amount of research and the level of unique analysis I developed to judge the managers on an equal footing.

I feel that thereā€™s nothing quite like it anywhere else out there.

But if I could pick one chapter, itā€™d be the one from ā€˜Golden Past, Red Futureā€™, about Istanbul. I donā€™t like reading my old work, as Iā€™m always fearful of a typo or an opinion I no longer stand by, and I never read my pieces again once they go up on the internet, either.

But that chapter will always be something Iā€™d be happy to read again, because of the memories and the sheer joy of the whole experience.

Do you have any regrets as a football writer? and any regrets as a fictional author?

Not sure I have any regrets. You learn from your mistakes, so take away your mistakes and youā€™d be a different writer, and a different person. But as a writer, once you put things out there you canā€™t take them back. You have to get used to that.

What benefits have come from writing about the club that you happen to passionately follow, and what negatives can this bring with it?

The positives are knowing the subject. With very, very few exceptions, I must spend more time thinking, watching footage, and writing about Liverpool than anyone else on the planet. Thatā€™s why mainstream journalists wind me up; they donā€™t know the full picture, and I can often see where they are wrong.

Thereā€™s the 10,000 hour rule, where, if you have the sufficient natural ability, you get to the top of your field by putting in that many hoursā€™ work.

Let alone in my lifetime, I think Iā€™ve put in that many hours thinking and writing about Liverpool since BenĆ­tez took charge! Whether people like or loathe me, I hope they find me thorough.

The negatives have been trying to make a living via my independent means when results go against the Reds. Book sales slump after every defeat. Then thereā€™s the fact that I not only feel the defeat as a fan, but I feel it professionally.

Thatā€™s why I set up The Tomkins Times. A subscription-based site for people who want to read what I have to say, even in the bad times, that benefits both them and me.

Also, you have to get use to abuse from fans of your own club. I donā€™t mind being called a c***, or whatever, but I must have been called "Goebbels" on a dozen different occasions.

As if what I do has any comparison whatsoever with a man responsible for Holocaust propaganda! Itā€™s not that it insults me, but it insults all those who suffered at the hands of a monstrous regime. All I do is write about Liverpool Football Club, in the face of some unfair criticism.

But thatā€™s the moronic levels some people will drag the debate down to.

Did you become a journalist because of your love for football, or is it a career that you would have taken up anyway?

Again, I didnā€™t really ever become a journalist.怀I prefer the term football writer, or football analyst. I know the latter might sound poncey, but I analyse a lot of details other people donā€™t go into. I think thatā€™s why BenĆ­tez responded well to my work.

As an ex-semi-pro, and ex-season ticket holder, I understand a good amount about playing and a good amount about being a regular match-going fan.

I do love the game, but Iā€™ve had to learn about analysing it more dispassionately. Of course I will always have some bias, but I try to be as fair as possible, and to not pretend that I have all the answers.

I made the same defence of Arsene Wenger last season during Arsenalā€™s struggles, and look at them this season. By media and knee-jerk logic, Wenger should have been sacked. Where would Arsenal be now?

I argued that of course Chelsea would struggle without Terry, Drogba and Essien in recent seasons. Yet when I say such things about Liverpool, my critics call me hopelessly optimistic and, in extremes, "Goebbels".

If you could no longer write about football: what other things interest you enough to passionately write about them?

Music is something Iā€™d probably write about. I listen to music constantly, and itā€™s something else Iā€™m very passionate about. But I donā€™t spend as much time reading up and researching about it, so I could write about my tastes, but do not know the ins and outs like I do with football.

If the official website asked you to push a story that wasnā€™t necessarily true; would you do it for the sake of the good publicity it would bring the club, knowing the influence you have on so many Liverpool supporters?

Not at all. Thatā€™s not my job. I am not the clubā€™s PR machine.

Iā€™ve never said anything I donā€™t believe; I might have had to omit certain criticisms, or the Press Office may have removed them if they overstep acceptable bounds for what is, after all, the clubā€™s own website, but Iā€™ve never been told what to write.

The people at the website are great. I write what I want, when I want, and submit it to them. The only times Iā€™ve been asked to write something was for Gerrard Week, or similar such events, and even then, itā€™s just "can you submit something?".

If they said they could no longer employ you if you chose not to push their story, would this affect your decision?

I donā€™t think theyā€™d do that. Thatā€™s not the way they, or I, work.

People have to understand that the site is there to give the clubā€™s point of view, when the mass media has no loyalties to Liverpool FC, and will often look to sell papers with untrue stories, some of which can be deeply unsettling to those concerned.

Itā€™s not necessarily anti-Liverpool, but part of the "Crisis at Big Clubs" phenomena. We all love to read about our rivals in peril, but that doesnā€™t make it right.

However, when you have someone like Henry Winter admitting that he doesnā€™t really like BenĆ­tez as a person, even though he doesnā€™t know him personally, then you know that the criticism is getting personal, too.

From a supposedly neutral source, that is unacceptable, particularly when he shows a clear bias towards Alex Ferguson and the other "chummy" managers out there.

So I will not tolerate anyone putting in the boot to the club I love when itā€™s down; especially if doing so with a sneer and a chuckle.

The official site may seem like propaganda at times, but it has to support its players and manager. They do after all get enough stick from those who want to see them fail. Why canā€™t people understand that simple concept?

If I didnā€™t believe in the Liverpool manager, Iā€™d stop writing for the site. Iā€™ve always said that.

Iā€™m sure I couldnā€™t write a weekly column if the club was employing Neil Warnock. But if the club is employing a proven top-class manager, then I see it as my role to analyse the way he works, and to accept that there will be highs and lows along the way.

eplWould your answer be different before your website, The Tomkins Times, was created, and now that it is successfully established?

Well, I have my own independent means to express myself, and I always have. Iā€™ve never had to write anything for anyone that I didnā€™t want to. And I never will.

I will always find my own ways of making a living by what I do, that gives me complete control over what I say. I could never write anything against my beliefs, be it football or political.

As a writer, I am nothing but my words, so I need to be honest with them.

I spent a lot of time defending Peter Crouch in 2005, when people said he was an utterly useless plank. I did the same for Kuyt in 2007, then Benayoun in 2008, and then more recently, Lucas and Nā€™Gog, not because I was asked to, but because I believed they deserved it.

I got stick from fans for doing so, and yet later also got a few apologies, too.

I donā€™t like seeing any player mindlessly slated, and I will stick up for the whipping boys if I think they deserve better. But that doesnā€™t mean I spent a lot of time sticking up for Nunez, Josemi and Degen.

I believe every player deserves the time to settle in, and for judgement to not be instantaneous, but I put most of my energy into defending those I see as having real ability, even if itā€™s not apparent to everyone else. And if I canā€™t see the appeal, I try to work out what the manager saw, but also, whether he had been refused his 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices beforehand.

I know from my own playing experiences that itā€™s difficult going up a level in the sport, even in non-league terms, and can take time. And no matter how professional you are, you cannot just take to the pitch, click your fingers, and every problem in your life, or in your career, is instantly solved.

You cannot learn English overnight, or settle if your wife is desperately unhappy, or your child is ill.

Would you consider becoming an editor of a national newspaper if you had licence to employ your own journalists, and you didnā€™t have to work to a higher force dictating what stories must appear?

I donā€™t believe such a newspaper could exist, and I certainly donā€™t think Iā€™m editorial material! I respect people like Tony Barrett and Oliver Kay at the Times, but I couldnā€™t personally be associated with papers that print some of the rubbish, like Cascarinoā€™s column.

Seriously, toilet paper is both cheaper, smoother and less likely to leave newsprint on your arse.

In many ways I think that Barrett, Kay and Brian Reade are doing a great thing, fighting Liverpoolā€™s or BenĆ­tezā€™s corner from within the establishment, but personally, Iā€™d be too pissed off with the idiots in other parts of the paper.

We have a situation in the media where failed, flawed ex-players are those ones making the most vocal criticisms. But really, do we need alcoholics, drug abusers, betting-based cheats, wife-beaters and sexual deviants, many of whom messed up their own careers, sitting in judgement?

None of us are perfect, and we all have our skeletons, but some of these people would rather grind theirs down to a fine white powder and snort them away.

A massive thank you to Paul Tomkins for taking time out of a very hectic work schedule and answering these questions. If your interested in reading more of Paul's work, you can visit his website or buy his books.
      « Last Edit: Nov 25, 2009 05:46:47 pm by JD »
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: The Official Jamie Ward thread
      Reply #1: Nov 17, 2009 02:15:28 pm
      Cracking Stuff from both Jamie and Tomkins a cracking interview.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #2: Nov 17, 2009 02:56:51 pm
      Enjoyed that, cheers RedLFCBlood!
      Jamie Ward
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #3: Nov 17, 2009 10:38:46 pm
      Thought you might like this one:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/288763-as-a-liverpool-supporter-i-have-finally-had-enough

Its quite humbling to have my own thread, not sure im anywhere near ready yet, but thanks all the same :-)
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #4: Nov 17, 2009 10:45:59 pm
      As a Liverpool Supporter I Have Finally Had Enough...

As a Liverpool Supporter I Have Finally Had Enough...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/288763-as-a-liverpool-supporter-i-have-finally-had-enough

by Jamie Ward Columnist
      Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images
      For Liverpool, it has certainly not been the start to a campaign that many predicted it would be. On the back of last season's impressive run, it looked very likely that Benitez and his team would finally cross the finishing line which has evaded the club for almost 20 years.

The 2-2 draw at home to Birmingham on Monday night has led to the Merseyside club falling 11 points behind first placed Chelsea.

Liverpool's poor form in the Premier League has also been accompanied by an unusal failure in Europe, which could see Benitez and his players eliminated from the competition without even reaching the knockout stages.

It is still only November, but quite frankly, I have simply had enough.

However, my loss of patience is not aimed at the Manager or the players. I consider myself a supporter and that loyalty and faith to the current team will remain until the very final minute of the season, and not as single second before.

My anger is directed somewhat towards the over-the-top media representation of the club, but mostly towards the Liverpool supporters and ex-players turned pundits who consistantly put the boot in when the team and the manager are on the floor.

I could sit here and fight the sea of propaganda and ill-informed opinions until the proverbial cows climb out of the taxi and ring my front door bell. But I wont. Especially as other more well informed supporters have spent a great amount of time doing so already.

But presenting people with facts and substantiated truths will not change a single thing with supporters who have already made their minds up, or ex-players with their own personal agendas to maintain.

I am sick to death of the blatent lies presented as fact from misleading newspaper articles that serve only to fuel the opinions of Liverpool supporters, biased towards an opinion the majority clearly know very little about.

Every day there is more and more widespread propaganda filling national and international media sources, a system that reaches far more people than the sensible independant journalists who actually research their work, but don't have the platform needed to get to the wider audience.

The media know full well it is increasingly easy to manipulate people who are too lazy to do their own research. They know printing lies and mistruths will generate debate on their websites, as people leave comments arguing against the ever expanding pool of low-quality journalists.

The Sun for example have once again led the back pages with misleading headlines and pathetic paraphrasing of current players, as they strive to make out their is an increasing unrest with the squad against Rafael Benitez. A quick look at the backpage and apparently Glen Johnson provided a "damning judgment on boss, Benitez" by claiming "We're awful, and a laughing stock".

Knowing the culture of a society that looks at headlines and subheadlines to base their opinions on, this amazing "outburst" by Glen Johnson on his Liverpool manager took up the entire back page on Wednesday's issue of the newspaper. One of the country's most popular and well read tabloids.

However, if you take the time to read the entire article entitled "What a Joke", convienantly hidden from the back page, you will find the entire quote provided by the Liverpool rightback, and a few more that completly go against the claim that Johnson is providing a "damning judgment on boss, Benitez".

"The record sounds awful, and it is awful for a club like Liverpool. But Things like this happen, You stick together and you keep fighting".

Sound advice for some Liverpool supporters to pay heed to in times of crisis, but by now the backpage paraphrasng damage has been done and people glancing at the article have already had the subtle suggestion of discourse implanted in their subconscious.

Glen Johnson also stated that "Rafa's done a fantastic job here, a couple of bad results does not make him a bad manager. To say his job is on the line is ridiculous. It's good to see people like Kenny Dalglish backing Rafa and the team, and it proves everyone is together".

Not exactly the "damaging judgment on Boss, Benitez" that is blatently suggested, and the full quote that contradicts the author's initial opinion is pushed to the end of the full article. Somewhere the majority of readers would never have bothered to get to.

At a time when manager, players, and supporters should be working in harmony for the good of the club; outside forces are doing everything they can to create division and unrest. We can only speculate as to the reasons why newspapers and journalists would print lies and one sided articles, but we can be certain that it does happen.

Some might say what harm does it do if supporters moan about managers and players on forums, after all, everyones entitled to their opinion. But that mislead anger starts to spill over in to the stadiums and can effect the players and the manager, adding even more pressure to an already volitile situation.

Im pretty certain none of us would like to be unjustily vilified on a regular basis by the apparent supporters of the club we chose to play for. We would also not like to read blatent lies about us in the national newspapers on a consistant basis.

And when we are on the floor, for what ever reason it might be, we would certainly not like people to put the boot in to make sure we dont get up again.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #5: Nov 17, 2009 11:20:39 pm
      Nice one Daz excellent read that some well researched journalism by Jamie, there is just one tiny detail I would take issue with where the rag is claimed to be "one of the most popular and well read tabloids" - if it was well read,if people had the intelligence to scrutinise and digest the garbage it prints they could not sell it for toilet paper but as Jamie points out its readers are headline devotees,probably unable to read small print.
      « Last Edit: Nov 17, 2009 11:36:34 pm by stuey »
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #6: Nov 18, 2009 12:46:28 am
      The Shitrag for example have once again led the back pages with misleading headlines and pathetic paraphrasing of current players, as they strive to make out their is an increasing unrest with the squad against Rafael Benitez. A quick look at the backpage and apparently Glen Johnson provided a "damning judgment on boss, Benitez" by claiming "We're awful, and a laughing stock".

Knowing the culture of a society that looks at headlines and subheadlines to base their opinions on, this amazing "outburst" by Glen Johnson on his Liverpool manager took up the entire back page on Wednesday's issue of the newspaper. One of the country's most popular and well read tabloids.

However, if you take the time to read the entire article entitled "What a Joke", convienantly hidden from the back page, you will find the entire quote provided by the Liverpool rightback, and a few more that completly go against the claim that Johnson is providing a "damning judgment on boss, Benitez".

"The record sounds awful, and it is awful for a club like Liverpool. But Things like this happen, You stick together and you keep fighting".

Changed the name there Jamie, hope you don't mind.  What a load of crap, that sort of shitty "journalism" makes me seethe  :f_steam:

Nice one Daz excellent read that some well researched journalism by Jamie, there is just one tiny detail I would take issue with where the rag is claimed to be "one of the most popular and well read tabloids" - if it was well read,if people had the intelligence to scrutinise and digest the garbage it prints they could not sell it for toilet paper but as Jamie points out its readers are headline devotees,probably unable to read small print.

Agreed!

Bottom-feeding journalism at its very worst, the shitrag that is, obviously.  Talk about twisting things.  I wouldn't use the paper produced from that bunch of see.you.next.tuesdays to line my cats' litter tray, they deserve better than that.

Well in Jamie!
      Jamie Ward
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #7: Nov 19, 2009 11:35:30 pm
      Of course I dont mind WhyohWhy mate, :) I just try not to lower myself to their level when I write, but that doesnt mean I think youre wrong for saying stuff like that, far from it buddy.

Good point Stuey about it being "well read"....clearly its not read very well at all :-)
      Jamie Ward
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #8: Nov 19, 2009 11:42:58 pm
      This ones from a couple weeks ago but I thought you might enjoy it considering who it's about ;-D

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/279916-ferguson-gets-it-wrong-with-his-tactics-and-comments-about-the-referee
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #9: Nov 28, 2009 12:18:55 pm
      Definitely some study for a psycho analyst with the subject matter here - to think he actually believes that anyone will take his comments seriously is cause for concern itself.
      Good one Daz you posted the rant above for everyones convenience,so I suppose it could be a public convenience which is exactly the description given to Ferguson occasionally - shithouse!!
      « Last Edit: Nov 28, 2009 02:11:32 pm by stuey »
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #10: Nov 28, 2009 12:51:46 pm
      Ferguson Gets It Wrong With His Tactics and Comments About The Referee

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/279916-ferguson-gets-it-wrong-with-his-tactics-and-comments-about-the-referee

A good win for Liverpool over title holders Manchester United on Sunday have led to some interesting comments from Alex Ferguson in the aftermath of his Anfield defeat.

The United manager appears to have cleverly used the media to hide his failure of tactically outclassing Benitez for the third game running, and in doing so, he is either proving his lack of knowledge about football rules; or how low he will stoop to misdirect attention away from both his and his team's performances so far this season.

"The Vidic booking was the worst decision. It is a foul, fine. But the player has played on, he won the second ball and knocked it for a throw in and got booked. It put Nemanja under pressure".

How a yellow card for Vidic with 15 minutes left on the clock can be considered the worst decision the referee made, when in the same interview Ferguson talks about a clear cut penalty with two-thirds of the game remaining, aswell as a player who should have been sent off for a professional foul, giving them an advantage to salvage a draw.

The United defender had been fouled by Dirk Kuyt four minutes before the ref decided Vidic was retaliating against the Liverpool player, resulting in the yellow card produced. If Nemandja Vidic was under pressure, it was the result of his own actions, and not down to the decision of an experienced referee.

I am also pretty certain it doesn't matter if a fouled player plays on; the initial foul still took place and any resulting cards still stand.

"The most controversial decision was Carragher bringing down Michael Owen. He was clear through. The laws of the game were altered to prevent professional fouls of that nature and if Carragher goes off, he is their best player and their captain".

Ferguson is quick to highlight the pressure the referee was under from the home crowd and how it affected him during the game. Despite this apparent pressure, Marriner got his decision correct to the letter of the law.

Ex-Premier League referee, Jeff Winter points out that "The fouled player has to have full control of the ball and has to be moving towards the goal".

A free kick and a yellow card is the lawful punishment, and that is exactly what was given by the offical.

Not really as controversial as Ferguson tries to make out.

Rewind to the Man United vs Arsenal game, and Wayne Rooney moves away from the goal without the ball being anywhere near his feet (let alone under his control) when he dives over Almunia.

A foul and a yellow card are given.

"...It would have been a different game. They would have been under pressure".

Alex Ferguson and his struggling team would have certainly been under pressure if the Berbatov foul on Dirk Kuyt in the United penalty area had been noticed.

Ferguson's factless comments move on to the subject of a Jamie Carragher tackle on Michael Carrick in the Liverpool penalty area.

"He has gone right over the top of the ball, if it is outside of the box it is a free-kick and maybe a yellow card. But it was inside the box and the referee was only six yards from it. It was another bad decision."

Jamie Carragher's tackle came in from the side and the Liverpool defender got contact on the ball first, before momentum carried him into Michael Carrick.

Rewind to the Man United vs Arsenal game and a sliding challenge from Darren Fletcher inside his own box, sees no contact with the ball, and momentum that completley takes out Arsharvin.

No penalty given.

For both decisions that Ferguson highlights as mistakes by Marriner; the referee is only a few yards away and makes the correct decision on both occasions, despite the intimidating home crowd and also the pressure of taking lead of his first big four head to head encounter.

Perhaps Alex Ferguson should spend less time making things up in press interviews, and more time on his team selection and tactics when facing his Merseyside opponents.

The United manager finishes with:

"Liverpool were the better team and I am not taking anything away from them at all".

Of course your not. That's why you didn't mention the experience of the referee, or the decisions he apparently got wrong, or his failure to cope under the pressure of the home crowd, or the affect the same home crowd had on the United players.

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #11: Nov 28, 2009 07:56:22 pm
      Lovely stuff. Great writer is Jaime, something as an aspiring journalist i love to read. Top work.
      Jamie Ward
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #12: Nov 28, 2009 08:45:44 pm
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #13: Nov 28, 2009 08:48:56 pm
      Rafael Benitez and The Problem Areas Within The Liverpool Squad

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/298811-rafael-benitez-and-the-problem-areas-within-the-liverpool-squad

With just over a month to go before the January transfer window is firmly pushed open, the time may be right for Rafael Benitez to juggle his squad of players to see who can be moved on, and who can be brought in to Anfield.

But which areas of the team should the Liverpool manager be addressing, and which squad members should be playing for another club when February arrives?

Goalkeepers:

This is an area that hasn't needed addressing since Benitez signed Jose Reina in 2005, for what has turned out to be a bargain at just Ā£6million.

Disrespectfully overlooked by pundits when they claim Liverpool are just a two-man team, the Spanish stopper has picked up three golden glove awards, countless man-of-the match performances, and broken many longstanding club records during his time at Anfield.

Benitez found his No1 very quickly, but many top clubs struggle to find an experienced and worthy backup keeper, who is happy to warm the bench whilst getting limited first team action.

Scott Carson was bought and sold on for a substantial profit; Charles Itandje was signed for minimal money, but failed to impress both the manager and the supporters; Deigo Cavalieri is the current No2 at the club, and has so far appeared competent enough to be considered reliable if Jose Reina is out of action.

Priority?

There doesn't appear to be any requirements in this position, with an excellent first choice keeper and a decent number two ready to step in if Jose Reina is injured.

Defenders:

Center backs have never really been a problem area for the club since Benitez took charge in 2004.

After making Jamie Carragher a permanent fixture alongside Sami Hyypia in the middle, Daniel Agger was drafted in with much success, and then Martin Skrtel followed two years later with a similar impact. A formidable combination of experience, pace, intelligence, and mentality have led to an outstanding defensive record, up until this season had started.

One factor for this season's defensive failings has been the departure of Sami Hyypia. The Finnish international was offered a one year extension and a role as a coach within the club, but Hyypia decided he wanted to play regular first team football for the last couple of years of his career, instead of being fourth choice behind Carragher, Agger, and Skrtel.

The long serving Liverpool center back would join Bayer Leverkusen for a couple of seasons, before returning to Anfield as a defensive coach, but his height, experience, and leadership has been sorely missed at the back.

With the majority of the transfer kitty going on other areas of importance in the team, and none of the Ā£30million made from the sale of Xabi Alonso going back to the manager, Benitez was once again unable to land the first choice transfer targets he earmarked to replace Hyypia.

This led to the acquisition of Greek international Sotirios Kyrgiakos for the bargain price of Ā£2million, who has had a varied start to his Anfield move, and has not had enough time to be considered a decent transfer.

The fullback position has seen its fair share of players in the last five years, with a mixed bag of success and failure coming through the doors. The last couple of seasons have witnessed Emilliano Insua and Fabio Aurelio nailing down the left back slot with more than enough positives, and the not-so successful Andrea Dossena as third-choice if required.

After just one full campaign, it looks imminent that Andrea Dossena will be heading back to Italy, either in the January transfer window or once the season has finished. After failing to impress with his defensive duties, it is highly unlikely that Benitez will recoup the whole Ā£7million paid out for him.

One of the Liverpool managers very few failings in the transfer market, the introduction of Dossena to the team has at least meant Emilliano Insua has stepped up his game over the recent 12 months, which can now be considered a certain bargain at Ā£1million. The plus side is the money brought in from the sale of Andrea Dossena will help strengthen the attacking line-up in the fast approaching window.

However, within the defensive back four it is the right back area that needs strengthening the most, with Glen Johnson the only major player currently occupying that position.

Free signing, Philipp Degan, has not had the chance to prove his capabilities yet, although in his few appearances this season the Swiss right back looks able going forward, but still needs time to strike up an understanding with the rest of the defensive line and Dirk Kuyt ahead of him.

There is Jamie Carragher as ample back-up to Johnson, but it means taking him out of his much preferred center back role. Which isn't a major problem unless, like this season in particular, there are injuries to Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel.

Whilst many supporters where crying out last season for Benitez to replace Robbie Keane up front, the manager rightly identified that with the departure of Alvaro Arbeloa, a player who wanted to move back to his homeland, an attacking right back was required more than a striker at that moment in time.

Priority?

There is definitely some room for improvement at the back, with cover for Glen Johnson the most obvious area to have priority. But a decent English Center back would have been a great option to have if the club had the funds to do so in the Summer.

The future back four lineup of Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, and Insua is certainly something for supporters to anticipate in the coming years.

Midfielders:

With Xabi Alonso also following Arbeloa back to his home country in the Summer, the remaining money had to be spent on a replacement who would bring most of the same passing qualities as Alonso; but also add more of an attacking threat going forward.

Whoever would be filling Alonso's boots was certainly not going to be cheap, and Benitez paid out heavily for Alberto Aquilani, on the advice that the player would be fit and ready to return from his ankle injury by the end of August.

Unfortunately, the independent medical advice given to the club was wrong, and Benitez was left to field the 22 year old Lucas Leiva for the first half of the season, a player who at the time was too inconsistent and not ready for regular first team action.

It has certainly had an effect on how this season has progressed, but the silver lining is that Lucas has now progressed alot quicker than planned, and his game has seen many improvements during his long run in the team.

Which is a major plus if Lucas is required to fill in for injured or rested players in coming seasons.

Despite many claims, Lucas is not meant as a direct replacement to Xabi Alonso, as he is a more suitable comparison to Javier Mascherano. The Brazilian youngster has been played alongside Mascherano for the majority of this season because of the misjudged return of Aquilani, who is the player more suited to filling the hole left by Alonso.

With a center midfield containing Javier Mascherano, Alberto Aquilani, a much improved Lucas Leiva, Steven Gerrard dropping back from the support attacker role if needed, and a couple of decent reserve players in Damien Plessis and Jay Spearing; the middle of the park is not an area that needs immediate attention from the manager.

The wings are more of a problem for Rafael Benitez at the moment.

There is little to argue the success of Dirk Kuyt over the last few seasons, and more recently, Yossi Benayoun, but outside of those two it is hard to find much to be happy about.

Albert Reira brings experience, a cool head, and a skillful left foot, but he has been very hit and miss in his 16 months with the club, and has not been as much of an attacking threat as many had hoped. Reira is solid, has a good mentality, and makes a great option to utilize from the bench, but he lacks the imagination and trickery many supporters cry out for from the wings.

Ryan Babel was meant to be that much needed special something bombing down the touchlines, but a very inconsistent first two years have made it hard for the Dutchman to cement a regular run in the team. When he is on the pitch, a poor first touch and incorrect decision making are coupled with the odd flash of brilliance, but he is yet to really show the consistency that is required from him.

Whether Ryan Babel's lack of consistency is down to Benitez not giving him a long enough run of games, or Babel's inability to develop his defensive duties and decision making; the time could be fast approaching for Benitez to cut his losses on a player who has so far failed to reach his much coveted potential.

The Summer transfer window was used to fill the areas that needed urgent attention, so replacements for Xabi Alonso and Alvaro Arbeloa where the first priority for the manager.

It would be foolish to think that Benitez would not buy another experienced striker and a skillful winger if he had the funds, but with a limited transfer kitty again in the Summer, he was only ever able to address the right back, center back and center midfield positions.

Priority?

With the Center of midfield containing enough good quality options, the problem areas would seem to be cover for the wide areas. With Dirk Kuyt a certain start on the right, the team could very well do with another experienced world class player in the squad, who is able to ply his trade down either flank.

A player who would either start on the left with Benayoun or Reira in reserve, or as cover for Dirk Kuyt on the right, with Benayoun or Reira starting on the left of midfield.

Attackers:

The area of the pitch that seems to be under the most criticism from supporters at the moment, Fernando Torres is the only player many seem to recognize as Liverpool's only striker.

This is of course ignoring Dirk Kuyt's now invaluable flexibility to play up front on his own in the absence of Torres. Despite being criticized for turning Kuyt in to a very productive wide midfielder, Benitez now has a player who is more than capable of playing in two positions on the field, with positive effect in either.

Ryan Babel is another player who enjoys playing as the lone striker, and has been used to such affect by the Liverpool manager before, which, despite his current poor form, still gives the club more options up front.

Whilst David Ngog was brought into the squad as a long term option, he has already shown moments of brilliance, composure, talent, and more importantly, goals, and is fast proving a sound investment at just Ā£1.5million.

Although the 20 year old Frenchman is nowhere near ready to deputize for Fernando Torres, the experience Ngog is gaining from leading the line on a regular basis, will speed up his development a whole lot quicker than being fourth choice.

And of course, not forgetting Steven Gerrard who has played exceptionally well in the support striker role for the last couple of seasons. His goal return alone should be consideration enough for him being an attacker more than a central midfielder.

With Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres as the first choice front two, it will always be difficult to locate a player with the quality needed to fill in during Torres and Gerrard's absence, and will also be content with not playing as many games during the season.

Benitez was criticized for not bringing in a replacement for Robbie Keane in the Summer, but with a limited transfer kitty, funds from player purchases not being made available, the urgency of addressing the right back and center midfield areas taking priority, and a team of players who had just scored the most goals in the league; it is difficult to blame the manager for not bringing in at least one more top quality front man.

Priority?

Now that the more pressing matter of finding replacements for Alvaro Arbeloa and Xabi Alonso has been achieved, the manager can concentrate his funds on tracking down another quality attacker to compliment Fernando Torres, Steven Gerrard, and David Ngog.

This seasons injury crisis has shown that the depth of the squad does not require the quality needed to make a sustained run at the title.

Whether Benitez spends in January will remain to be seen. If the Liverpool owners provide more funds to spend in the forthcoming window, then Benitez may not have to use the option of getting rid of Ryan Babel to generate money for transfers.

However, there is still the suggestion from within the club that players like Andriy Voronin, Andrea Dossena, and Philipp Degan will still be on their way out of Anfield before the season is over. This does depend on Rafa Benitez getting in sufficient replacements for the rest of the season.

The injury crisis so far this season has shown the full Liverpool squad does not contain enough quality for a sustained run at the Premier League title.

However, now that other more important areas of the pitch have been addressed, and the option of offloading certain players to raise more funds, the manager will undoubtedly be on the look out for an attacking player to bring to Anfield, with the quality, mentality, and goal scoring record needed to push the club even closer to winning the title.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #14: Nov 28, 2009 08:50:58 pm
      Lovely stuff. Great writer is Jaime, something as an aspiring journalist i love to read. Top work.
      Excellent read Jamie and when his statements are scrutinised Ferguson does seem more than a little unbalanced.
      Sorry mate you posted your new offering as I posted this.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #15: Nov 28, 2009 09:43:39 pm
      Jamies latest offering is a sobering analysis of the squads potential or lack of the same in certain positions.Whether or not the manager is given the means to address these issues will be identified in January when the transfer window opens and things will become a hell of a lot clearer.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #16: Nov 28, 2009 09:58:17 pm
      Jamies latest offering is a sobering analysis of the squads potential or lack of the same in certain positions.Whether or not the manager is given the means to address these issues will be identified in January when the transfer window opens and things will become a hell of a lot clearer.

That's the crucial question isn't it.  Will Rafa be given anything at all?
      Jamie Ward
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #17: Nov 28, 2009 10:44:21 pm
      I think some of the money from the Alonso deal will be made available for Rafa in January, maybe the sale of a couple squad players as well might mean he could go for an attacker.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,374 posts | 8621 
      Reply #18: Nov 30, 2009 08:45:55 pm
      I think some of the money from the Alonso deal will be made available for Rafa in January, maybe the sale of a couple squad players as well might mean he could go for an attacker.

What money, thats tucked away in an RBS bank!
      Jamie Ward
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #19: Dec 02, 2009 06:23:10 pm
      Another article for your visual consumption....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/301181-heysel-slur-on-chelsea-website-petty-football-rivalry-is-a-joke

All feedback - good and bad please - is always very much welcomed.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #20: Dec 02, 2009 06:52:40 pm
      Heysel Slur On Chelsea Website: Petty Football Rivalry Is a Joke

We all love a bit of football banter, a light hearted joke at the expense of the opposition. The pantomime routine that exists around football grounds can be highly entertaining. But there is a line that should never be crossed in the name of supporting your football team.

However, we all know that pretty much every club will have it's minority of fans who will cross that line, and cross it with enjoyment.

Immature songs chanting accusations of pedophilia, racist taunts and threats aimed at rival or ex-players, and I think probably the worst of the worst are the songs about dead football players, dead supporters and dead children.

There is something seriously wrong with a person who makes fun of dead children.

The type of person that is beyond help, and any reasonable argument against their actions will just be ignored for the sake of their own warped sense of humor or motive.

The type of person who's opinion will influence other supporters who themselves will not bother to research something before taking that opinion on as their own. I used to do it myself, listen to people talk about something and just believe it was the truth. Now I like to look in to something as much as possible before I try to form my opinion.

But there will always be people who just listen to sound bites, headlines, and lies that fit in with their own beliefs. It's unavoidable. No football club is exempt from that minority who spoil things for the rest of the group.

What annoys me is factless unresearched slander, and the generalization that is tied to an entire group of people. A few supporters do something wrong, then everyone gets tarred with the same brush.

Apparently all Liverpool supporters are murderers because of the actions of a very small minority.

A massive over generalization, but also a false one, but that wont stop people pushing the idea and using it for enjoyment when mocking people.

Whilst some people and their mentalities are beyond help, the rest of the easily led should think long and hard about their actions and do a little research in to their opinions before standing up and telling the world about them.

Spot on as ever Jamie and there is lines in everyday life that should not be crossed end of the day and back in the world of reality it is only football.

The small minded people who do such things give no concern or thought to the relatives of the victims in such circumstances and it is in my opinion absolutely disgusting, a couple of us only yesterday reported a group of Evertonians on facebook for the very same thing.

They set up a Heysel related group on facebook after the result on Sunday which just shows how sad, bitter & immature these people really are.
      Jamie Ward
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #21: Dec 02, 2009 07:44:29 pm
      thanks for that Red, Its just a shame there is no way of getting through to some poeple. It is very frustrating and I used to get incredibly angry with people and argue for days about it, before realsing it was useless.

Unfortunately every club has them, ours are included.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #22: Dec 03, 2009 02:44:15 am
      What exactly happened on the Chavs site?

I was away on holiday and so wasn't kept updated to the events that happened.
      Jamie Ward
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #23: Dec 03, 2009 03:18:34 pm
      Apparently one of their blog writers  had written an article/blog that spoke about Liverpoool supporters all being muderers for their actions during the heysel disaster.

It took a couple days for the offical Chelsea website to take it down, by then obviously the damage had been done.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #24: Dec 03, 2009 03:28:17 pm
      Apparently one of their blog writers  had written an article/blog that spoke about Liverpoool supporters all being muderers for their actions during the heysel disaster.

It took a couple days for the offical Chelsea website to take it down, by then obviously the damage had been done.
      Scanned the chav site and the comments on it about this article are as bad if not worse than the origonal piece, just a crowd of mentally challenged childish people who know somebody that can send e-mails.
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #25: Dec 03, 2009 03:48:43 pm
      In my honest opinion, they are the murderers of modern football economic. Let's not focus on the actual murder itself as in South American leagues the rate is higher than what happened in Heysel. They are far more brutal but in terms of modern football, Chelsea could be considered as the sinner of football economy. Look what have they done when Abramovich took over Chelsea. They inflated the players price beyond reaches of any club. They freely spent money on players which if you considered the actual price was lower than estimated. Wright Phillips for example, I do think Rafa wanted him and put an initial bid of 13 million (correct me if I'm wrong) but they eclipsed us with 21 million bid to lure him away from our reach. What they have done to the transfer market has hurt us badly in term of competing for the player's signature.

It was a tragedy what happened in Heysel but to be honest, there's nothing we could do to prevent that from happening. Prayers are all we could offer but never accuse us if you don't have any sufficient evidence to back up your lies!

Jamie Ward
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #26: Dec 16, 2009 03:49:15 pm
      Another article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/309573-psychology-and-football-support-the-negativity-bias

All feedback is much welcomed, good and bad, thanks
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #27: Dec 16, 2009 05:26:38 pm
      The claim in the article that the negativity receptors in the brain are more receptive than their positive counterparts is certainly food for thought.
      To take it further would it be reasonable to assume that different supporters also have variants in the pos/neg thresholds? That is to say would the LFC faithful tolerate a longer run of bad results than their manUre rivals?
      There must surely be affecting factors in such a premise not least of all the supporters psyche,the clubs history and success or lack of and the very nature of support.
       I've seen the reaction at Old Toilet when we were there scoring for fun and their supporters were getting off in their thousands not a picture I am glad to say I've seen at Anfield, well not in such numbers, which leads me to believe there is indeed a difference in which team you support and the negativity tolerance level.    
      « Last Edit: Dec 16, 2009 06:25:34 pm by stuey »
      Jamie Ward
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #28: Dec 16, 2009 05:44:45 pm
      I  think the balance between positive and negeative is definatly varied from person to person, whether which club you support can determine those levels and how much your likely to put up with is a very good point to raise.

In that respect im also looking into historical bias for the next article and hopefully putting that theory to the test.

I personally think alot of his has to do with personal mentality as well and things like maturity etc.

Thanks for reading Stuey
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #29: Dec 16, 2009 06:00:14 pm
      I 100% agree with the last little bit there, Jamie.

But at this point, the team do not need that support half as much as they did. The support was needed more when the players were down on their luck, and the fans were too busy with negativity bias.

It is at this point where real fans show their colours, and glory hunting/bandwagon jumpers are caught out.

It is easy to be swept up in the negativity of media outlets but one thing must be known, and that is to have faith.
      Jamie Ward
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #30: Dec 16, 2009 06:19:34 pm
      Im glad you found the crux of the article Crouchino, whilst I may be disapointed with how things turn out, im certainly not going to add more pressure to a situation already laden with it, if I was in the situation I would want support, not to be heckled and attacked, especially when its based on illogical ideas and lies.

Thanks for reading.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #31: Dec 16, 2009 06:42:21 pm
      Im glad you found the crux of the article Crouchino, whilst I may be disapointed with how things turn out, im certainly not going to add more pressure to a situation already laden with it, if I was in the situation I would want support, not to be heckled and attacked, especially when its based on illogical ideas and lies.

Thanks for reading.

Was my pleasure mate. Not to be a kiss arse, but i do like your work because of the common sense in them.

Most definitely agree with what your saying. Negativity builds pressure and any added pressure from fans only adds to that of being at a club with a reputation as strong as ours.

After the Arsenal game, in light of constant negativity on the boards, i pleaded for some blind faith in the players and coaching staff so we can move through this rough patch. Sometimes looking beyond what's in front of you can change the mentality and mood of the camp.

Lets just hope that this is the case and we are not to regret the rash 'support' of some fickle beings.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #32: Dec 16, 2009 06:51:38 pm
      Well I think you can assume you safely assume from the vast majority of my posts I'm anything but negative,  now who wants a written brawl in the Rafa thread :D

Another cracking article by the way Jamie and it highlights how fickle some fans can be in my opinion, the very same negative fans who were applauding Rafa's contribution last season are this season calling for the mans head not giving an ounce of thought the contributing factors surrounding our indifferent start to the season, thus only taking the negatives of our elimination from the Champions League and our poor League position to form this deluded opinion of why Rafa's employment should be terminated with immediate effect and not looking at the positive of how much our season can be turned around, given we can field our Strongest Starting XI for a prolonged number of games, the very same fans would rather give some on like JĆ¼rgen Klinsman a chance other than the man who over 5 years has earned his chance and our support through difficult times.
      Jamie Ward
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #33: Dec 17, 2009 12:43:52 am
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • Ā© Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #34: Dec 17, 2009 06:18:06 am
      Couple of typos, but a well summed up piece about N'Gog's Anfield debut.

Nice one.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #35: Dec 17, 2009 03:59:11 pm
      Another excellent piece Jamie and an insight into the potential and progress of N'Gog, as you point out the lad is gaining experience all the time and his recent displays bear this out.
      He is definitely a long term prospect and should be allowed the time to hone his talents, one aspect of his character seems to be that he is not over awed by situations or opposing players and gives an honest account of himself.
      Jamie Ward
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #36: Dec 17, 2009 05:04:35 pm
      I want to thank everyone for the positive feedback, dont forget mistakes and criticism is also very welcomed, its help me sort my writing out :)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #37: Dec 17, 2009 08:01:43 pm
      Good sum up of his current career. He's a very intelligent player off the ball and i think the Wigan highlighted that the most.

I've tagged him as the new Inzaghi, because he ghosts into positions where you don't realise he's there until he has the ball delivered to him. It's a rare ability and a very valuable one.
      Jamie Ward
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #38: Jan 11, 2010 12:43:36 pm
      Ive set up a new blog where most of my articles and blogs will now go if any one would like a look.

http://theliverpoolopinion.blogspot.com/
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #39: Jan 11, 2010 12:50:10 pm
      Good stuff mate, good luck with it.

I imagine that the order they're in now are due to you uploading them to the site to start off, and not in chronological order?
      Jamie Ward
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #40: Jan 12, 2010 08:41:54 pm
      Yeah I just uploaded some random ones I liked, the rest will go in as and when I write them.

Love the Rafa quote btw
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #41: Jan 12, 2010 10:38:25 pm
      Yeah I just uploaded some random ones I liked, the rest will go in as and when I write them.

Love the Rafa quote btw

No worries there mate. Do let us know on here when they go up.

I was in tears laughing when he said it, i remembered it the other day so i had to dedicate something to it :D
      Jamie Ward
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #42: Jan 15, 2010 07:11:36 pm
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #43: Jan 15, 2010 07:13:29 pm

Thats what I've just been asking myself to be honest, I've not long logged out of twitter but Babels normal Twitter account has had no posts since October 17th/18th.
      Jamie Ward
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #44: Jan 15, 2010 07:23:50 pm
      I still think there is room for doubt that its actually him. Whilst there is doubt, I certainly wont be just accepting it's him like the media appear to be. Even the Gaurdian have a story on it already with no quotes that Babel is dropped from the squad (as the headline boldly claims) apart from the ones on twitter.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #45: Jan 15, 2010 07:29:32 pm
      The media are like vultures mate they are circling Benitez's corpse just waiting to pick pieces off it, the very public with hunt of Rafa is sickening to watch and they seem to be looking for the tiniest scrap of information to destabalise his position that little bit further, I mean come on a twitter account, hardlies a credible source for media outlets is it ?.
      Jamie Ward
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #46: Jan 15, 2010 07:45:01 pm
      It really sickens me as well, but worse are the cheap and disgusting attacks from Liverpool supporters, some of the names he has been called by his so called own supporters is disgraceful to say the least.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #47: Jan 15, 2010 08:00:21 pm
      It really sickens me as well, but worse are the cheap and disgusting attacks from Liverpool supporters, some of the names he has been called by his so called own supporters is disgraceful to say the least.

True but they are the ill informed that buys into all the misleading articles that the media, ex-players pundits etc spew at them.

Do we condemn them for not having the insight/means to form an honest educated insightful opinion or do you try and educate them ?
      Jamie Ward
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #48: Jan 15, 2010 08:12:52 pm
      Im getting a bit tired of trying to educate people to be honest, fighting media myths is very hard work.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #49: Jan 15, 2010 08:14:13 pm
      Im getting a bit tired of trying to educate people to be honest, fighting media myths is very hard work.

You want to try the "Is Rafa the right man thread" :D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #50: Jan 19, 2010 10:25:32 am
      You want to try the "Is Rafa the right man thread" :D

Try the whole bloody Kop board!
      Jamie Ward
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #51: Jan 23, 2010 11:33:22 am
      I tend to steer well clear of LFC forums now, I would never leave my computer trying to fight against the sea of propaganda.

Another media example:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/331096-steve-bruce-rafael-benitez-kenwyne-jones-and-the-media-pot-stirring
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #52: Jan 23, 2010 11:41:37 am
      Steve Bruce, Rafael Benitez, Kenwyne Jones, and the Media Pot Stirring

Jamie Ward

It would seem the constantly "disrespectful" Liverpool manager, Rafael Benitez, is up to his cunning tricks again. According to Sunderland managerā€”and ex-Manchester United legendā€”Steve Bruce, Benitez is playing games at the expense of Kenwyne Jones.

For several days now the papers have insisted that Benitez and Liverpool have been in talks with Sunderland to bring Jones to Merseyside on loan until the end of the season.

Some have even gone as far as confirming the deal has already been completed, with a permanent switch being finalised in the summer.

Apparently this has considerably angered Bruce and his chairman, Niall Quinn, to the point that the club voiced its distaste for the way Benitez has used the media to unsettle the Trinidad international.

ā€œI donā€™t know whether they are serious or whether Rafa is playing games with his board, but the only people who are suffering are Kenwyne and Sunderland. This may be all about the problems Liverpool have. It might be power games.ā€

Bruce insists that Liverpool have not made any contact with Sunderland about the move, and if they did, the chances of landing Jones on loan are impossible.

"As if Iā€™m going to let a big player and one of our big assets go anywhere on loan,ā€ he said. ā€œI donā€™t understand where theyā€™re coming from. Itā€™s total nonsense, it is ludicrous, itā€™s the biggest load of rubbish.

Do me favour. It is like me asking for Steven Gerrard on loan. Iā€™ll try that, maybe. For the record, Kenwyne is not going on loan to anybody.ā€   

Benitez was accused by Martin O'Neill of acting in the same way last summer over Gareth Barry's apparent move from Villa Park to Anfield; so Bruce seems to have every right to feel aggrieved towards the Red's manager for playing mind games with one of his players.

That is of course if the Spaniard had actually uttered a single word in reference to wanting Kenwyne Jones either on loan, a permanent deal, or as a straight swap for Liverpool misfit, Ryan Babel.

Despite regular journalist assurances that the deal is close to, or already complete, the club has made no public comment in regards to the transfer.

With Bruce claiming Liverpool have made no formal approach over the proposed loan move, and no actual quotes attributed to Benitez in reference to bringing Jones to Anfield during the winter transfer window, the Sunderland manager's motives could easily be brought into question.

It would seem the constant barrage of rumour and mischief created by journalists and editors looking to increase web traffic and revenue, has not only convinced some Liverpool supporters that a dealā€”or at least talks between the two clubsā€”has taken place, but also fooled Bruce in to believing the constant media hype.

It just goes to show how erroneous rumours can snowball and become fact, and add even more pressure to an already volatile situationā€”something the club could do without as they climb swiftly back up the form table, with 13 points from their last six games.

Liverpool followers have already littered message boards complaining about their manager, some furiously stating he should not be chasing a second rate playerā€”despite the obvious that Benitez has not actually mentioned his desire to sign Kenwyne Jones in the immediate future.

Newspaper headlines and Steve Bruce claim a "disrespectful" Benitez, yet in reality it appears Bruce is the "disrespectful" one for launching a bizarre attack over something that has never actually been mentioned by Liverpool Football Club or it's manager.

Fairly well balanced article Jamie especially when you look at the facts as you say nothing has been said by either our club or manger, then you are right its is in fact Steve Bruce reading into media speculation and thus being disrespectful to Rafa whilst admitting there have been no formal approaches from us. Makes you wonder if he is seriously as thick as two short planks or if he has an agenda of his own.

Jamie Ward
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #53: Feb 15, 2010 12:19:39 am
      Sorry about the long abscence, I have another llittle mini rant if anyones interested:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/345684-rafael-benitez-is-building-liverpool-football-club-not-destroying-it
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #54: Feb 15, 2010 12:28:07 am
      Damn good again Jaime, took some words i have used a lot as well in trying to make my point. Some fans do expect we win by divine right, and i really hope they read that article. Top work, again.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #55: Feb 15, 2010 05:28:11 am
      What Dave said. Says what i'm thinking!
      Jamie Ward
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #56: Feb 17, 2010 02:46:26 am
      RobboHuyton Chats to The Liverpool Opinion About the New LFC Fanzine THE WELL RED MAG:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/346891-the-interview-robbohuyton-presents-the-well-red-lfc-fanzine
      Oh yes....another rant if your interested:

http://theliverpoolopinion.blogspot.com/2010/02/lfc-fans-speaking-on-behalf-of-deceased.html

Thanks again for the comments everyone.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #57: Feb 20, 2010 04:20:30 pm
      That is a really good read Jamie and an honest comment as always.
      « Last Edit: Mar 23, 2010 02:10:39 pm by stuey »
      enforcer
      • Banned

• 67 posts | -8 
      Reply #59: Mar 14, 2010 04:53:19 pm
      That's a really nice article, i'm guessing it took you over 9000 hours in MS word.
      Jamie Ward
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,673 posts | 6966 
      Reply #61: Apr 29, 2010 04:09:24 pm
      ^ I may agree but obviously could never admit it. ;)

I think results on Saturday will have decided 4th place anyway.  Especially with City and Spurs still guaranteed some points from their clash against each other.

I've often wondered whether our involvement in the Champions League has affected Premier League focus - who knows what would have happened last year for instance.

With our injury crisis, the fact we are playing tonight, I think even guns blazing we will be given a game by Chelsea.
      Jamie Ward
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #62: Aug 27, 2010 11:30:38 am
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #63: Aug 28, 2010 09:36:23 am
      Nice work again mate, enjoyed the Aqua one.

Quick Reply