Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

The Europa League - who cares?

Read 83465 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6816 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: The Europa League - who cares?
      Reply #46: Nov 25, 2009 01:54:21 am
      I CARE

In this competition, we'll be playing matches, right?

Well I wanna win every F***ing match we play in no matter what competition it's in.

Bring it home Boys.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #47: Nov 25, 2009 02:00:51 am
      Of course I want Liverpool to win this, like I expect us to every competition. I see those who were brushing the League Cup off are some of the biggest ones to make out this is some major trophy. But truth is, it isn't a major trophy. It's a trophy no big club should be in, and we are meant to be a big club.

When we won it in the past, it was a big trophy. Not only for us but for European football generally. It was the second and third best clubs from each nation competeting while the winners of their respective League went into the European Cup. Plus 73 was our first European trophy and 76 was the signs of Paisley's side really coming together - proven by two European Cups in the following two years. Then Houllier's winning side of 01 was amazing because we had been starved of European success for so long. And, like in 76, this was a side growing to take on world football. Unfortunately we didn't.

Nowadays this competition is for 5th, 6th and 7th best sides from our league. Is that what we are? I mean for fucks sake, it's such a poxy competition the winners of the Fair Play award get a chance to play in it. That's how City ended up in it last year if I remember rightly. And this current crop of Liverpool players is not looking to establish itself like we were in 73, 76 and 01. Because of our, fantastic, runs over the last five years or so in Europe's premeir competition we're already (re)established as one of Europe's big boys.

It's a disgrace we're in it and I think the rules should be changed for those who get knocked out in the group stages of the Champions League. That should be it for them, their European adventure should be over for the season. We get rewarded with a place in the Europa League because of our inability to progress in the Champions League. That's simply not right. We, and every other side who gets knocked out at this stage, should be out of Europe for the year. I also think to bring some respect back to this competition it should go back to second and third from the League entering it with the Champions League being for Champions. And then the League Cup and FA Cup winners returning to the old Cup Winners Cup. But I've strayed from the point a little here.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #48: Nov 25, 2009 02:16:02 am
      We are Liverpool. We are in every competition to win it. If it was a sunday team cup final i'd want to win it.
      and the players will try and win it for us because they play for Liverpool and we expect them to give their all in every game!
      Johncolf
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #49: Nov 25, 2009 05:56:34 am
      Treat it as the carling cup and use squad players , finishing in the top 4 is priority now and attracting decent players in the summer if there's any money in the pot  , getting through would have papered over the cracks anyway get real we wouldn't have got far in the competition  were not good enough simple as that .
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #50: Nov 25, 2009 06:12:23 am
      I care and I want to win it.Whenever,wherever and whatever for these lads,with the famous liverbird on their chest, are playing I will be there to cheer my heart out for them.We win together and we lose together.
      simolfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 22 
      • Thank you Dirk YNWA
      Reply #51: Nov 25, 2009 06:42:52 am
      we are lfc

fans of any of the other top 4 teams would have turned against rafa by now

but he's made history and we have faith that he can do it again in coaching our lads to winning the first ever europa league

and that can be another credential of the mighty reds
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #52: Nov 25, 2009 06:56:26 am
      I care - we're Liverpool FC and should be winning every competition we enter.

Sometimes things just don't go our way, with tonight being a fine example of that, but a trophy is a trophy, and we should be winning silverware no matter what it is.
      I agree with you 100% Reslivo,our history demands that we try and win every cup  going.I remember years ago when we would put out a strong team to win the Liverpool and Lancashire Senior cups.The finals were mostly against Everton,which we usually won.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #53: Nov 25, 2009 07:24:33 am
      We come out of this horror show of a season so far with any trophy at the end and ill be stoked.

Let's do this sh*t!

can I please add.....?

M---th-rf-ck-rs !!!!!

(Thanks) ;D

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #54: Nov 25, 2009 07:50:08 am

can I please add.....?

M---th-rf-ck-rs !!!!!

(Thanks) ;D

Nice :D
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #55: Nov 25, 2009 07:55:26 am
      Lets go and win it, we had some great games and away trips last time we won this cup and the final was one of the best ever (well apart from one maybe ;D)

Win this, the FA cup and finish 2nd in the league!! That's realistic as far as Im concerned.
      arshadmanzoor
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 58 posts |
      Reply #56: Nov 25, 2009 08:58:54 am
      Ok guys  can anyone tel me if We'll playing a 2 legged knock out tie or We'll be in league with many teams.. I dont want numerous games on league basis and getting knocked out again..
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #57: Nov 25, 2009 09:02:35 am
      For teams like Marseille, Atletico Madrid and stuff going out of the Champions League to Europa League isn't that bad. But we are Liverpool FC. Last season we beat Real Madrid home and away in the last 16, we gave everything we had against Chelsea, but now we got knocked out of the league by teams like Lyon and Fiorentina? I know that they are great teams, but compared to Liverpool, they are just football teams. So now, we must reach at least the final of Europa League. We can't go out of the league in the quarterfinals or semifinals. Liverpool FC is just too big.
      coachpotato
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      Reply #58: Nov 25, 2009 09:16:48 am
      If it's a big shiny thing then we should be doing our best to win it.

What was the quote?

"Liverpool Football Club exist to win things"
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,638 posts | 131 
      Reply #59: Nov 25, 2009 09:24:34 am
      I would like to win this cup! And I think we all have good memories to germany in this competition !
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #60: Nov 25, 2009 09:26:23 am
      Rather win this than not win anything (say, get KO in the CL somewhere down the road).
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #61: Nov 25, 2009 09:28:18 am
      We're in it so I wanna win it.
      coachpotato
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      Reply #62: Nov 25, 2009 09:31:24 am
      Noticed some posters saying things such as "We are Liverpool" and "We're a big Club" etc etc.
      Well to a degree i'd agree with those sentiments but perhaps this "shock" will bring a dose of reality to those who have been thinking everything in the garden is rosy.
      We do not win things as of right, we have to work for them and we, as supporters, have to back the Manager, Players and Club if we want them to succeed.
      The owners I believe, saw what they thought was a cash cow when they bought us, and they believed, as do some of our supporters, that success would be guaranteed year in year out without too much effort.
      Well wake up and welcome to the real world.
      Without sufficient backing and hard work from ALL quarters of the Club, success won't happen.
      leeper1892
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 99 posts | -2 
      Reply #63: Nov 25, 2009 09:33:46 am
      As a Liverpool fan for years I will always want my beloved team to win whatever is in front of them. Obviously I would much rather watch stevie lift what he wants the most, the league title, and the European Cup. This is the pinnacle for a team of our stature. However, this seson has been dogged by bad results. As i stated after the Chelsea defeat, we had absolutely no chance of winning the League (after i stated this check my rating!!!!), and now obviously we are out of the European Cup. We still have the FA Cup and the Europa League. Go for it Reds, win both and turn a nightmare season, into a double trophy winning season.
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #64: Nov 25, 2009 09:37:54 am
      Hope to god we get Everton in the final and d'ick them 5-0

But being honest, it wouldn't bother me if we got knocked out. Away trips to freezing cold countries in the middle of nowhere, on thursday nights, playing on scum pitches, earning next to nothing financially, doesn't quite appeal to me.  Its disappointing to see that were now fighting for a trophy amongst teams, who some finish 5th - 7th in their leagues, instead of being in a competition with the best. Were in the same competition as Fulham for gods sake.

When our CL group was drawn, we were all rubbing our hands. We should have topped that group with ease so its painfull to see now so many of you saying you can't wait to be the first Europa league winners.

Don't get me wrong, if we win it then great, but like some have already said this cup is similar to the carling cup, ofcourse you want to win it but if you get knocked out then so what basically. I didn't want to be the first 'Europa League Winners' at all, i wanted to be European Cup Winners 2010.

Paul LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 260 posts | -1 
      Reply #65: Nov 25, 2009 09:54:18 am
      People who don't care about this competition are beind disrespectful to the great Liverpool sides of the past who have won this competition. I care because I love Liverpool F.C with all my heart.
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #66: Nov 25, 2009 09:58:43 am
      I'm not being disrespectfull, like i said it would be great to win it, but i didn't expect to be in this competition and i didn't particularly want it associated with LFC. I've already mentioned Fulham, no disrespect to them either but i didn't expect or want to be in the same european competition as Fulham FC in all honesty.

Now that were in it then ofcourse i would want to win it, I'm just not as excited as some people on here are. 
      Paul LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 260 posts | -1 
      Reply #67: Nov 25, 2009 10:03:38 am
      If we aren't going to be at the great bernabeu Stadium in Madrid lifting the Champions League trophy in may then lets do all we can as fans and a club to make sure that we are lifting the europa League trophy in May in Hamburg. Come on you Reds Lets do it.
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #68: Nov 25, 2009 10:05:32 am
      Im not saying it doesn’t hurt anyone that we got knocked out of the CL but its our own fault, we are now in the Europa League and despite the fact I hate the competition, I want to win it. We are out which is old news, we have other sites and working towards the top 4. Anyone who doesn’t care is an idiot, I hated losing to Arsenal in the Carling Cup so yeah I care whatever match we are in and whatever competition.

Quick Reply