Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

The Europa League - who cares?

Read 84050 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: The Europa League - who cares?
      Reply #644: Feb 06, 2013 05:01:57 pm
      Given that the players we have brought in will see others somewhat fresher for the Europa League, it's all
      about writing statistics to suit your point though.
      It's not about statistics with me racer; not at all. "Fresher" doesn't equate to better and the squad is weaker full stop. However that shouldn't matter if we play our strongest available team. Which is all I ask.

I don't know about cue faux outrage mate. If we are beaten because we didn't play our strongest, available, team then I would expect criticism; just as I would expect praise should the gamble pay off.

I wouldn't expect, or tolerate, any criticism (lose or draw) if the best we have got simply aren't good enough. For in that instance our best simply would not have been good enough and there would be no ifs or buts, no doubts, no regrets.

As for "faux" outrage (when it comes to team selection): I see it every week in every pre game and match thread. Strangely enough; the posters who question Brendan when he picks Henderson, Allen and Downing (for example) and who "would pick" Shelvey, Assaidi Sterling (for example) instead are the same posters who extol the virtues of squad rotation/team management in other threads. For me that is the very definition of "faux".

Back on topic tho': I care enough about the Europa League to want to see us do our best and when (or if) we do go out it'll be with no regrets.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #645: Feb 06, 2013 05:33:21 pm
      Our best players involve a core of players.
      Outside of that there is always a few that can be interchanged.
      In this case two will be forced.

In that context I fully expect to see 4 or 5 changes between the teams that play in the league
      and the teams that play in Europe.

Do I think we will take it seriously?
      Yes, of course, it's our only chance of silverware.

Do I think we will see 4-5 changes in the first team?
      Yes and I don't think it's any harm either.

You make a valid point. Our potential squad for the Europa League is now weaker than
      it was before the window opened.

Out
      Cole, Sahin, Pacheco.

In
      er. None.

By extension then we will field stronger teams in the league than we will in Europe.
      I say stronger because I genuinely believe Sturridge and Coutinho, when fit, should start.

BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #646: Feb 06, 2013 06:35:52 pm
      It looks like mission impossible with our paper thin squad to win it.  But we're still in it.  Lacking in big name players we need HUMUNGOUS heart and some luck and the right tactics and.....um we're still in it.  So first get rid zenit.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #647: Feb 06, 2013 06:40:01 pm
       If we win the Europa League where will the posters who don't care go,I have always believed that we should try and win everything we enter.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #648: Feb 06, 2013 06:59:57 pm
      If we win the Europa League where will the posters who don't care go,I have always believed that we should try and win everything we enter.

I believe and have always said that the Europa league is nice to have but not essential. Yes we should go for every trophy but at the same time this is the modern game and we don't have a squad large enough to do that so we need to prioritise and the Champion's league must be our main concern simply because it increases our chances of competing successfully for every trophy.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #649: Feb 06, 2013 07:26:43 pm
      I care now we have a great squad and it is silverware , I feel Brendan deserves somthing from this season he has taken the sh*t and come through bigger and stronger and at the end of the day Chelsea are in it let beat the bas**rds
      Sgt_Hard
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts |
      Reply #650: Feb 08, 2013 01:26:56 pm
      Ridiculous rules from UEFA regarding their cup competitions as to how & when you can play for a new team post January...me thinks they are flouting the EU regulations on trade & employment?
      « Last Edit: Feb 08, 2013 01:38:58 pm by Venison 86 »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #651: Feb 08, 2013 02:21:03 pm
      I believe and have always said that the Europa league is nice to have but not essential. Yes we should go for every trophy but at the same time this is the modern game and we don't have a squad large enough to do that so we need to prioritise and the Champion's league must be our main concern simply because it increases our chances of competing successfully for every trophy.

Of course the CL is a priority mate but at this moment in time as you infer we lack the depth in squad for that tournament, some would say the same for any major competition.
      If we had the outstanding good fortune to qualify for either the Europa cup or the CL that is exactly what it would be....good fortune.
      Our performance in the context of this season could not be considered anything like CL material, we would realistically just be making up the numbers.
      The Europa cup is very possibly more the measure if we are honest and a stepping stone to the next level.

I remember the 2001 Europa cup final when we beat Alaves 5-4 and on the day it didn't matter about the trophy status.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #652: Feb 08, 2013 08:01:14 pm

Well said Billy.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #653: Feb 08, 2013 09:04:23 pm

I want us to try to win every competition we enter as well.  I just don't want us to do so at the expense of our league campaign.  With a game on Monday then a trip to Russia on Wednesday, it is obvious that some players will not be able to play both games - Stevie shouldn't be asked to play both, and it might be wise to not risk Agger, Enrique, Johnson, Lucas, Suarez, or Sturridge to overuse either.  When players are fatigued the likelihood of suffering an injury becomes greater.  Look at Lucas's injury last season - it came in a CC match immediately following a difficult league match against City that he had played the full 90 in.  The challenge he suffered wasn't that bad, but his tired legs couldn't withstand the impact and he blew his ACL. 

So, which do you prioritize?  I personally would prioritize the league, but don't hold anything against someone who would rather win another UEFA Cup....
      KoPiTee
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 911 posts | 19 
      Reply #654: Feb 08, 2013 10:15:51 pm
      Would be an ace way to say goodbye to Carra winning this
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,379 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #655: Feb 08, 2013 10:36:46 pm
      Genuinely anyone who doesn't approach Thursdays game the way they would any other Liverpool game needs to talk to themself.

Europa league, Premier league, Lancashire cup...its Liverpool
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #656: Feb 09, 2013 10:35:14 am
      It's a European trophy, winning it would help attract bigger names, but that aspect a side, I LOVE IT WHEN WE WIN ANY CUP!
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #657: Feb 09, 2013 10:40:12 am
      Im sure Carra wouldnt mind one last medal , lets do it forr him>
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,200 posts | 168 
      Reply #658: Feb 09, 2013 12:55:11 pm
      Genuinely anyone who doesn't approach Thursdays game the way they would any other Liverpool game needs to talk to themself.

Europa league, Premier league, Lancashire cup...its Liverpool

Im sure Carra wouldnt mind one last medal , lets do it forr him>

I'd definitively take the Europa League. We should give our all in it. Meaning no more average squads in Thurdays BR! Should we in it we will be more exposed to the world, it hurts me to read articles saying we're a club of lower standard. Winning it will make us much more attractive and exposed.And shall we fail to make top 4, we'll need something to attract players since we won't attract them with money.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #659: Feb 09, 2013 03:24:17 pm
      Europa.

After Oldham why not.

Its not the CL and the money is crap in comparison but it is a trophy to go for.
      It would make our day if we got some silverware this year not just "qualification" for a tournament ie the CL.
      You cant stick "Top Four Place" in the trophy room.

Yeah, but a C.L. place may persude our best players to stay, and encourage better to join us for next season. A europa cup won't !
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #660: Feb 09, 2013 04:04:45 pm
      The thing i cant understand .... we were out the title race 5 games into the season we put a soft squad out against swansea in the Fa CUP and we got a spanking at Oldham (another not so strong team) .
          So what are we actually aiming for this season it will be very interesting to see what BR goes for on thursday if we are serious about winning i would assume the team will be similar to the one that played City if not have we just giveup on all cup comps this season ?
      StrikingMidfield
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #661: Feb 09, 2013 04:28:16 pm
      Europa.

After Oldham why not.

Its not the CL and the money is crap in comparison but it is a trophy to go for.
      It would make our day if we got some silverware this year not just "qualification" for a tournament ie the CL.
      You cant stick "Top Four Place" in the trophy room.
      I agree. Sure it won't be bringing in tons of money like the CL, but a trophy is a trophy. However, we can't mock the important of the CL qualification, we NEED that top four spot more than we need a Europa league title. However, both would work just fine  ;D
      sonuxs
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 332 posts |
      Reply #662: Feb 09, 2013 04:35:13 pm
      If only the winner of Europa was given a spot in CL.. Such an easy strategy to make this Cup alive,dont understand why Uefa don't see it.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #663: Feb 09, 2013 06:07:01 pm
      It really would make sense but no. The 'Champions' of a European trophy arent entitled to join the 'Champions" League. Makes an absolute mockery of the use of the word champions in their bloody tournament name if finishing 4th gets you in and winning a european competition doesnt.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #664: Feb 09, 2013 08:45:04 pm
      I care enough to have taken 3 days off work so I can watch the match on Thurs  ;D
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #665: Feb 09, 2013 09:28:23 pm
      I care enough to have taken 3 days off work so I can watch the match on Thurs  ;D
      Well done Debs proud of you,hope you enjoy the match and the lads put on a good game for you,cheers.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #666: Feb 09, 2013 09:36:18 pm
      Well done Debs proud of you,hope you enjoy the match and the lads put on a good game for you,cheers.

It's no real hardship though is it Billy.  Work? or watch the lads play in Europe, what's to think about  ;D

Quick Reply