Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Tommy Smith: Liverpool FC boss Roy Hodgson so right to get lean and mean

Read 10873 times
      SaveLiverpoolFC
      • Banned

• 374 posts | 19 
      Re: Tommy Smith: Liverpool FC boss Roy Hodgson so right to get lean and mean
      Reply #46: Sep 12, 2010 10:25:08 am
      Smith missed a good opportunity to keep his mouth shut and making himself look stupid.
      Evdeitnly he knows nothing about player development and keeping a squad - hence his own career choice as poor quality hack.

We used to have 5 strikers. We now have 1.5.There's 3 players worth 80 m sold and never replaced.
      Outrageous transfer profits. Is Smith just braindead or on the payroll as well ?
      Purslow's Poodle has a braindead fan. Whoring himself around, so he can get work in the hospitality side I suspect.

2 fingers up to the fans again.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #47: Sep 12, 2010 10:30:23 am
      We used to have 5 strikers. We now have 1.5.There's 3 players worth 80 m sold and never replaced.
      Outrageous transfer profits. Is Smith just braindead or on the payroll as well ?

Who were these five strikers?
      And who are the three players never replaced?
      SaveLiverpoolFC
      • Banned

• 374 posts | 19 
      Reply #48: Sep 12, 2010 11:37:00 am
      Who were these five strikers?
      And who are the three players never replaced?

Definitions may vary - I'm listing players who could be classed as a striker, or striker "at a push".

06-07
      Fowler Garcia crouch bellamy kuyt pongolle ( el zhar)

04-05 baros kewell cisse garcia morientes pongolle mellor

05-06 cisse crouch fowler ,morientes
      Then gerrard kewell garcia

07-8 kewell torres voronin benayoun gerrard crouch kuyt (babel)

3 players OUT - keane, alonso, mascherano ( and ofcourse much more money going into the Gang of 5's pockets)

TODAY
      - Torres
      Semi Ngog
      Not really semi Babel - ie utter failure

Clearly Hodgson is just Purslow's lapdog. And Smith should be ashamed of himself for toadeying up to Purslow and co.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #49: Sep 12, 2010 12:12:53 pm
      Definitions may vary - I'm listing players who could be classed as a striker, or striker "at a push".

Very biased... You name Gerrard and Kuyt in the past, but not the present?  Yossi as a striker? Mellor and Pongolle?
      If you are doing that, then today, we have:

Torres, Kuyt, Babel, Cole, Jovanovic, Gerrard, (NGog) and (Pacheco).

Now, if you ask me, we currently have Torres and NGog as strikers, plus Kuyt or Jovanovic 'at a push' if needed. Sort of, one striker and three halfs.  We've never had five, we've only ever really had two, when Crouch and Keane were here, two and a half if you count Voronin, Rafa sold them but didn't replace them - and he did have the money to do so.

Now, I agree with you that this is just not good enough, compared to our rivals -

Utd: Rooney, Berbatov and Owen with Hernandez and Macheda, Three strikers and two halfs.
      Chelsea: Anelka, Drogba, Kalou and Kakuta, three and a half
      Arsenal: Van Persie, Chamakh, Bendtner and Vela, two and two halfs
      City: Adebayor, Santa Cruz, Jo, Tevez, Balotelli... five strikers
      Spurs: Defoe, Crouch, Pav, Keane, dos Santos - five as well

We need a striker and this is why Roy was looking at Gomez, which unfortunately did not come off.

There is plenty to criticise the owners for, we don't need to make things up.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #50: Sep 12, 2010 12:48:48 pm
      While i dont agree with all that Tommy has to say it right pisses me off when the younger ones on this forum come on here slagging him off do a bit of history guys that man wore that shirt with pride for us ,coming on here saying he dont know about modern football for fck sake the ball is round the nets are still at opposite ends of the field the biggest change in football is the diets and the fitness and that man could have played in any fcking era . 
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #51: Sep 12, 2010 01:19:32 pm
      While I dont agree with all that Tommy has to say it right pisses me off when the younger ones on this forum come on here slagging him off do a bit of history guys that man wore that shirt with pride for us ,coming on here saying he dont know about modern football for fck sake the ball is round the nets are still at opposite ends of the field the biggest change in football is the diets and the fitness and that man could have played in any fcking era . 

And Tommy the Anfield Iron, went in where others these days would fear to tread.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,438 posts | 8656 
      Reply #52: Sep 12, 2010 01:28:47 pm
      Now, if you ask me, we currently have Torres and NGog as strikers, plus Kuyt or Jovanovic 'at a push' if needed. Sort of, one striker and three halfs.  We've never had five, we've only ever really had two, when Crouch and Keane were here, two and a half if you count Voronin, Rafa sold them but didn't replace them - and he did have the money to do so.

Revisionist bullshit and you F***ing well know it.

Where did the money go from the Keane and Alonso transfers as it wasn't F***ing used to buy players was it, so where did the F***ing money go?

PAYING OFF THE DEBT!!!
      SaveLiverpoolFC
      • Banned

• 374 posts | 19 
      Reply #53: Sep 12, 2010 02:47:44 pm
      we don't need to make things up.

Yes! We dont need to make things up! I'm going on the 3 keepers, 8 def, 8 mid, 4 attackers and a variety of other players.Kuyt etc cant be classed as a striker, because we've got hardly any midfielders either!

All the top managers have a reserve team, a youth team and healthy squad. With players being developed, or out on loan, or out of favour ready to be sold. By the argument of these clowns Smith and Hodgson, then Wenger, Ferguson, Mourinho, Ancelotti and Mancini are "crap" managers

Smith needs to show some solidarity with the fans instead of kissing Turdslow's arse. Hodgson the Paycheque Poodle needs to call himself a taxi.
      « Last Edit: Sep 12, 2010 04:52:58 pm by SaveLiverpoolFC »
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #54: Sep 12, 2010 09:43:36 pm
      Maybe im missing something here. But, with all this slating of Rafa, I have to ask:

Did the 08-09 season when everyone was praising him suddenly get struck off the history books after last season?

Some people have short memorys.  :roll: :o

This this this..
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #55: Sep 14, 2010 11:00:08 am
      Read his autobiography, some of the things he accuses Emlyn Hughes of, are a bit naughty.
      Read that myself, he constantly talks about him and doesn't drop it. Did seem really full of himself in the book to be fair.
      SaveLiverpoolFC
      • Banned

• 374 posts | 19 
      Reply #56: Sep 14, 2010 01:59:11 pm
      Read that myself, he constantly talks about him and doesn't drop it. Did seem really full of himself in the book to be fair.

In his day, didnt we win the league with 15 players or sthg. And the matchday squad was 11 plus a sub. Players would play 70 games because the pace and fitness levels were NOWHERE near today. FOotball is a VASTLY different game today.

Too many ex players are just thinking of their "hosting work" in the Cen Stand etc and towing the Purslow party line. Some are nothing but whores. Big players, little men, thinking of a pay cheque. Smith needs to grow some balls. Who'd have thought we'd have to say that about Smith when he was a player.
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #57: Sep 15, 2010 12:05:21 am
      In his day, didnt we win the league with 15 players or sthg. And the matchday squad was 11 plus a sub. Players would play 70 games because the pace and fitness levels were NOWHERE near today. FOotball is a VASTLY different game today.

Too many ex players are just thinking of their "hosting work" in the Cen Stand etc and towing the Purslow party line. Some are nothing but whores. Big players, little men, thinking of a pay cheque. Smith needs to grow some balls. Who'd have thought we'd have to say that about Smith when he was a player.
      Yeah I remember seeing that stat around before, and it's often one thats used as a reason to not have a big squad. Morons use it, because the game is so much different these days, so many more games are played than back then when you take into account international friendlies, all the shitty qualifiers for Europe etc. Also the fact that all other teams at the time were using a similar amount of players, so it was a level playing field.

Smiths articles personally I find he is very biased, and tries to hard to sound like a passionate, optimistic fan (which I don't doubt), but if he is writing articles, then they need to be balanced, it's what's wrong with todays media, where opinion is used as fact.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,176 posts | 265 
      Reply #58: Sep 15, 2010 04:34:42 am

Yeah I remember seeing that stat around before, and it's often one thats used as a reason to not have a big squad. Morons use it, because the game is so much different these days, so many more games are played than back then when you take into account international friendlies, all the shitty qualifiers for Europe etc. Also the fact that all other teams at the time were using a similar amount of players, so it was a level playing field.

Smiths articles personally I find he is very biased, and tries to hard to sound like a passionate, optimistic fan (which I don't doubt), but if he is writing articles, then they need to be balanced, it's what's wrong with todays media, where opinion is used as fact.

Great posts SaveLiverpoolFC and RedWilly mates.

Quick Reply