Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Pick your two top LFC centre-backs? (Log in to vote)

Sami Hyypia
      (2.5%)
      Daniel Agger
      (27.5%)
      Jack Hobbs
      (0%)
      Jamie Carragher
      (41.7%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (28.3%)

The 2008/09 Centre Back debate

Read 7193 times
      dafurf
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | -2 
      Re: The 2008/09 Centre Back debate
      Reply #46: Oct 06, 2008 08:07:01 pm
      We`ve loads of options.Abeloa has filled in at CB before.Hobbs could be recalled and we need two of Carra,Agger and Hyypia to get injured before we have a major problem.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #47: Oct 06, 2008 08:07:15 pm
      I really hope so! It's potentially a full season injury though so I won't hold my breath! :(

Then again, it's Skrtel. He'll probably knock one of the Doctors out and get someone to pop it back in so he can play against Wigan! :D
      dafurf
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | -2 
      Reply #48: Oct 06, 2008 08:10:36 pm
      I really hope so! It's potentially a full season injury though so I won't hold my breath! :(

Then again, it's Skrtel. He'll probably knock one of the Doctors out and get someone to pop it back in so he can play against Wigan! :D
      Most players come back earlier than the Press claim they will.The London Media are just trying to piss on our parade.They`ve lost loads of back page headlines because we`re doing well.Anything negative they can print,they will.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #49: Oct 06, 2008 09:06:09 pm
      We`ve loads of options.Abeloa has filled in at CB before.Hobbs could be recalled and we need two of Carra,Agger and Hyypia to get injured before we have a major problem.

You clearly haven't paid the slightest bit of attention to the question I was asking.

Hobbs (who is on loan) and Hyypia - neither of them are in our UEFA Squad.
      goldton
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 490 posts | -10 
      • This is our year FOR SURE....
      Reply #50: Oct 06, 2008 09:06:35 pm
      Now Skrtel is out for the rest of the season so its Agger and Carragher.
      dafurf
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | -2 
      Reply #51: Oct 06, 2008 09:21:00 pm
      You clearly haven't paid the slightest bit of attention to the question I was asking.

Hobbs (who is on loan) and Hyypia - neither of them are in our UEFA Squad.
      After I answered your CL question I widened the Centre back disscussion to all games in the future.you must have missed that.
      Madzz Adzz
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts |
      Reply #52: Oct 06, 2008 09:22:01 pm
      rafa will buy a defender in jan, we are linked with that brazilan not sure of his name. Agger is one of the best in the world and will walk into any team, it just a shame sumin like this happends for him to get his place back. get wel soon Skrtel.
      dafurf
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | -2 
      Reply #53: Oct 06, 2008 09:24:10 pm
      Now Skrtel is out for the rest of the season so its Agger and Carragher.
      Hyypia is still alive.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #54: Oct 06, 2008 10:27:58 pm

We don't need another defender.  At least Real Madrid can stop spouting their bullshit now.  They've definitely got no chance on Agger.

I think Rafa should recall Hobbs straight away to be honest. 
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #55: Oct 07, 2008 12:51:00 am
      Dont need to buy another CB. I agree with JD, bring back Hobbs asap.

Although it could be a good time for San Jose to try and stake a claim.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #56: Oct 07, 2008 12:58:54 am
      We don't need another centre half in the transfer window and personally I don't think we need Hobbs back from Leicester.

If we get another long term injury to one of our centre halves then Sami will come in, so alls Hobbs would be doing is sitting on the bench which I'm sure San Jose/Ayala/Huth can do just as well. Also I'm pretty certain Antwi's loan at Tranmere is until the end of December which means he'll be back soon.

We should allow Hobbs to get vital first team experince at the Walkers Stadium because next year he will be in our first team plans and if we bring him back now he'll only be sat on the bench. The only chance he'd get a game at Anfield this year is if two of our three centre halves pick up long term injuries as well and the chances of having three long term injuries to four central defenders in one year are pretty slim. Leave Hobbs where is he as Sami can cover for Carra or Agger while the rest of our youngsters can do a job if we get to our bare bones.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #57: Oct 23, 2008 01:40:48 pm
      I don't think Carragher is having a blinding season by any stretch of the imagination this year.

This all depends on Agger and how well he performs. 

I'm not sure how much sentimentality Rafa gives to the 'local lads' - but I would suspect that Skrtel usually would be the first name down on the teamsheet if you were picking our centre-backs.

So the question is - even if Daniel Agger played phenomenally - was our man of the match for the next 10 games - can anybody see Rafa dropping Carragher instead of Agger when Skrtel returns?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #58: Oct 23, 2008 01:49:28 pm
      I think Carra's been back to his solid best, not the last ditch tackles we're used to but has rarely put a foot wrong this year (domestically) whereas in Europe both goals have been faults of his. Playing the fella onside in Marsielle and last nights misjudgement. The two games against Liege he hardly excelled either.

We've seen in the past Benitez isn't affraid to have a Premiership side and Champions League side, maybe Carra will only find his name in the Premiership one although I doubt that because Carra is one of those players who you know will come good when he has to.

As for Skrtel's return, it could be difficult because I don't think Carra will get dropped (I don't think Carra would allow himself to be dropped :D ) and Agger may refind some form so Skrtel may just have to wait. I don't think players can just be given their place back instantly, it does have to be earned. But we're looking a bit too far into the future, Martin isn't going to be fit until around Christmas so lets see how Dan Agger and Carra do in the meantime.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #59: Dec 13, 2008 09:23:54 pm
      Bump this back up.

Who would have thought that Hyypia would have saw off the Agger challenge?

Only 3 people it would seem.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #60: Dec 14, 2008 09:47:42 am
      For the time being, if Rafa isn't willing to play Insua at left-back, put Agger there instead. Carra and Sami in the middle, and everyone's happy.

Job sorted, until Skrtel's back from injury of course!  :P
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #61: Dec 14, 2008 12:58:21 pm
      For the time being, if Rafa isn't willing to play Insua at left-back, put Agger there instead. Carra and Sami in the middle, and everyone's happy.

Job sorted, until Skrtel's back from injury of course!  :P

Spot on, it'll give Agger the oppurtunity to go forward which he appears to love to do so, he's not slow neither.
      justyna
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 51 posts |
      Reply #62: Dec 17, 2008 05:24:46 pm
      Agger+Skrtel :D
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #63: Feb 19, 2009 04:41:03 pm
      Carra and Skrtel are obviously first choice and it's causing uncertainty about Dan Agger's future. With only a matter of months left in the season, I don't see Agger regaining his place unless there's an injury to Carra or Skrtel. For the first time under Benitez we're in a title challenge so I don't see him starting to piss about with the centre halves for the league and I don't think Benitez will start to change his team too much for the Champions League either, not at this stage anyway. If of course we win in Madrid by three or four goals, we may see some changes for the return leg but it should be Carra and Skrtel for the first leg.

So it's looking likely that the 2008/09 centre back debate has been won by Carra and Skrtel. Resulting in Agger "looking" (and I use that word loosely) to move on.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #64: Feb 19, 2009 04:49:22 pm
      Pretty annoying, when you think about it.

Carra days are getting fair numbered now, if Agger stays and plays well he should see his appearances increase and eventually he should cement his place in the first team. Not to mention if Skrtel got injured again, then he would have his chance again.

I don't think there's any need for Agger to leave Liverpool.
      goldton
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 490 posts | -10 
      • This is our year FOR SURE....
      Reply #65: Feb 19, 2009 07:24:18 pm
      Agger and Skrtel.Carra as a right back and that would be nice.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #66: Feb 19, 2009 07:53:51 pm
      Carra hasn't the pace to play right back he is one of the best centre backs in the world. Agger needs to admit to himself he hasnt been doing it and needs to address the reasons why.When he does get his chance he needs to take it and stop moaning he is not playing well enough to dislodge Carra Skyrtl or Sami for that matter.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #67: Feb 19, 2009 08:44:39 pm
      For me it should be decided on current form/injuries at this stage of the season, so its Carra & Skrtel as far as I'm concerned.Sorry Danny you'll just have to wait your turn, it will surely come.

Quick Reply