Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 4th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W10 D4 L4

Gonzalez to Go

Read 4813 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,658 posts | 6954 
      Gonzalez to Go
      May 24, 2007 10:06:45 am
      Took me a bit by surprise.. from LFC.tv

Mark Gonzalez is set to leave Liverpool for Real Betis after one season at the club. 

Rafa Benitez today confirmed the two sides had "almost" reached an agreement over the Chilean winger.

Bolo Zenden, whose contract expires in the summer, has also been told he can talk to other clubs.

Benitez said: "I was talking with him before and I said he could talk with other teams. He knows the situation.

"It's clear some players will leave. We almost have an agreement with Real Betis for Mark Gonzalez." 
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Re: Gonzalez to Go
      Reply #1: May 24, 2007 10:08:59 am
      Good news that JD, never really seen the best of Gonzalez I have to say, didnt do much after his debut goal.  And as for Zenden, well, did he have a best  ???
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,281 posts | 4938 
      Reply #2: May 24, 2007 10:15:52 am
      Bit surprised about Gonzales. I thought he might have got a bit more time to show what he can do. Although saying that if Rafa feels he isn't going to be good enough there is no point keeping him any longer. Looking forward to see who will be bought in place of him!!
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #3: May 24, 2007 10:18:58 am
      If we are buying players we need to bring in 'winners'...players with the 'must try to win but must ALWAYS perform' attitude. Surely young players should be brought up through the academy as much as possible now.

Zenden had experience but can't say much else.
      bobbins
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #4: May 24, 2007 10:26:43 am
      Surprised, but i like this in rafa, it was the same with nunez, if he thinks their not going to cut it, he gets rid, no messing.
      NAVAN RED
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #5: May 24, 2007 10:32:39 am
      Thought we may have gotten another season out of him JD - but if the lad can't settle than let him go.
      As for Bolo, I'm sorry, but his exit couldn't come quick enough for me.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #6: May 24, 2007 10:33:07 am
      :o :o sh*t! I didn't see this coming! I'm gutted  :f_brokenheart: He's sooo cute  :-* Hehe.

The boys I was with last night, 2 of them were saying they thought Gonzalez could be awesome but just hadn't shown it yet, and I agreed!

I hope Zenden goes though  :-\ Never been a fan of his.
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #7: May 24, 2007 10:39:42 am
      Football is so demanding now that if you aren't an academy playing coming through like a Gerrard or a Carragher you haven't alot of time to impress. IF a manager has laid out millions for you because you show 'class' then you need to adjust quickly otherwise instead of a 'team of carraghers' we would have a 'team of shev's'.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #8: May 24, 2007 10:56:49 am
      No shock really he hasnt really impressed when he has played maybe if he was give a decent run in the side hed be better but we need better players who can perform week in week out.
      LFC LEGENDS
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 98 posts | -1 
      • Ynwa
      Reply #9: May 24, 2007 02:35:22 pm
      He never showed us what he played like in spain
      Maybe he just wasnt suited to tha Prem but i didnt think he was getting any better
      vydex
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | -5 
      Reply #10: May 24, 2007 02:58:37 pm
      For some players the EPL is too physical, and from what I saw of him on more than one occasion he does not like the physical side of the game. He went down on a number of occasions in games where I thought that he was really badly injured, and yet we find out a day later its a sore something or other and nothing is broken or ripped or torn or even bad.
      I think that Rafas no nonsense approach is indeed the only way to send out the message to gold diggers, and if you are any player of any quality you should have the self respect of not needing to have a settle in period. A good player jumps straight in at the start and shows he means business, look at Dirk Kuyt Ive loved the way he has worked his ass off and shown complete commitment to the cause from day 1.
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,819 posts | 472 
      Reply #11: May 24, 2007 03:02:25 pm
      In my opinion I thought his best game was when he came in as a sub during the Champions League Qualifier and scored the game winner. I had a good feeling about him. But he went to crap, had a injury too, which didn't help. I also thought he was a diver too, In general, he does not have what it takes to wear the LFC shirt.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #12: May 24, 2007 04:24:17 pm
      I am quite shocked by this.

Thought Gonzo would of got another season for us but it wasn't to be...

Maybe he isn't happy here. But I always thought that he played better over in Spain.

Good luck Mark.
      RedWilly

• 9,198 posts | 1642 
      Reply #13: May 24, 2007 04:43:56 pm
      So the clear-out has begun, never thought that Gonzo sjpwed his true form for us, but good luck to him, maybe he couldn't adapt...
      Stu503
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 111 posts |
      Reply #14: May 24, 2007 06:27:30 pm
      I think he'll be a good player in the long run but it's good news.  We need real quality in these sort of positions next season if we are going to see a push for the league.  If it is £5M, as reported, then i don't think you can argue with that.  I think he has struggled to settle and will be better for him to go back to Spain.
      lfc 4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | -11 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #15: May 24, 2007 07:35:47 pm
      from what i have heard up 2 now zenden, Gonzarlez, Fowler and Bellamy and from a friend Hyypia to bemcome  a lpool trainer, so the clear out has begun now we need quality places to replace thouse positions.
      Alexandra
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #16: May 25, 2007 02:35:35 pm
      I am sad that Mark is to go. I think he has had a tough time at Liverpool, he has been plagued by injuries and competion for his place in the team has been hard. I would liked to have seen him given another season with a string of games to find his feet. I wish him all the best for the future and hope that we haven't made a big mistake.
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #17: May 25, 2007 02:57:49 pm
      Bye.  I was under the impression he could take a man on and beat him, had a mean shot and was lightening fast.

I didn't see any of that.  I thought Rafa would give him another season though.

Cy
      Reply #18: May 25, 2007 03:16:07 pm
      It is a bit surprising but RAFA probably had recognised that it could make some money there, kewell coming back (even if I think he should also move this summer but hey) on the lefy side, RAFA feels that Gonzales can move on. I'm less suprised by Zenden, he hasn't been good although he had so many chances to prove us wrong..much more then Gonzales..Good luck to them..
      camara14
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 157 posts | -3 
      Reply #19: May 25, 2007 11:43:06 pm
      Not surprised i think that Rafa's ruthless side is good it sends a message out to other under preforming players that being second best ain't good enough and to players coming to us that we only want people with a winning mentality and who perform.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,803 posts | 6750 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #20: May 26, 2007 03:20:17 am
      I'm not too sad to see Gonzalez go, I wish him luck wherever he goes. The thing about him was that to me, he reminded me of Cisse......push the ball in front of him and with his lightning speed could get around an opponent, then get back on to the ball. Premiership players catch on to that pretty quickly so that wasn't going to work...he'd get pushed off the ball too easily.

He'll do well in Spain, I hope, but he's not an LFC player.....we need a player whose quick but also has a good football brain and especially someone who can whip in a dangerous cross and take on the opposition.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #21: May 26, 2007 04:43:18 am
      he was woeful...another in the longline of poor wingers we have taken on....good ridance....now with so cash lets get some real quality....sneijder, quaresma, matias fernandez, jaquin.....robben!.....not some over hype money  and squad number stealing wannabe.....new dawn at LFC....players worthy of the shirt need only apply.

PS ok he is a nice guy but if you asked the opposition of any LFC team in the 70's, 80's, early to mid 90'd if the Liverpool team they faced were a team of 'nice guys' they'd be quivering too much to answer....ruthless and commited to the badge.
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #22: May 29, 2007 12:31:39 pm
      i dont think gonzalez should go. i think we should give him one more season to prove himself, if he doesn't then he can go. if he does leave this summer, i will be sad to see him leave. :'(

Quick Reply