Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

Wigan 1-0 Liverpool: Post Match Nuclear Fall Out

Read 36711 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Re: Wigan 1-0 Liverpool: Post Match Nuclear Fall Out
      Reply #161: Mar 08, 2010 11:50:45 pm
      We can't make a habit of picking on gerrard now can we?

Reina should have intercepted that cross that resulted in the goal too.

Just one of those games.

And I thought we were going on an 11-game winning streak.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #162: Mar 08, 2010 11:50:53 pm
      Maxi was free and £5m - £17m (depending which paper you quote) for Aquilani wouldn't buy David Villa's right leg. :D

Aquilani's cameo was just about the only positive I can percieve from tonight game. And that's only because he, on the whole, found a man in a red shirt with some of his passes and actually looked like offering us the creative spark we so desperately craved tonight.

Such a shame all this. Really is.
      Well in Joey,I find it embarrasing to be commenting like this on my club,mid season ,but surely the opposition to Rafa are gaining momentum by the week? The man's not stupid,so why does he continually set us up tactically wrong against weaker sides?Ffs we attack before we defend,not the other way round?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #163: Mar 08, 2010 11:51:42 pm
      The only good to come out of this season will be if we take the Europa League.

How things will seem better then. Just want something to celebrate really.

;D

Bloody hell. We're talking trophies in this particular match thread. Well played mate. I think you best go lose your phone again.  ;)

Seriously though, I know how you feel. I don't think we deserve anything to celebrate this season though. I really don't. And Lille will be watering at the mouth after watching that performance tonight.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #164: Mar 08, 2010 11:53:08 pm
      We went from last season finishing second and this season we have fallen way back. Whatever about City but now Villa and Spurs have much better squads then us, i mean , how the F**k did this happen.

We sold out to two Yanks who reckoned they were rich!
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #165: Mar 09, 2010 12:00:00 am
      Well, well, well. What a load of absolute F***ing sh*te! An absolutely disgraceful performance form the lads and the manager. Rafa has a lot to answer for, not just the players. He got his tactics wrong again. Mascherano at right back again? We have quite a few right backs already here. Lucas started again, i am getting sick of the sight of him now, a dire player if ever there was one. Kuyt was abysmal again, but he's been shocking all season, doesn't Rafa see this? The Torres/Gerrard partnership broken up again and Kuyt playing in the hole? What the F**k is all that about?

Benayoun was dire, Maxi was dire, Insua was dire, Carra was dire, Gerrard was dire, Kuyt was dire, Lucas was dire, Carra was dire. N'Zogbia ripped Insua apart, as have most players with pace this season. We played a team fighting relegation and Rafa went negative again. Why the F**k did he start Lucas when Aquilani was so obviously available? Another mistake was the choice of wingers, Yossi and Maxi should have been swapped around, not that either of them imposed themselves on the game. We were being fu**ed over and Rafa should have changed the personnel at half time. Lucas, Kuyt and Maxi should have been brought off at half time. Why does Rafa wait on average until the sixty five minute mark before making a change? If the players can't produce anything of substance in the first 45 minutes, then what makes him think they can produce it in the first 15 minutes of the second half?

To all the people who instantly jump down posters throats because they have a different opinion to the majority on the forum, Rafa fu**ed it up again tonight with an all too obvious and predictable approach against a team we should have beaten. It's not just the player's fault here, we can't just heap all the blame on their shoulders, Rafa has to take his fair share of criticism too. Why did he break the Gerrard/Torres partnership? Did he not trust Aquilani to do the business in centre midfield? Why did Masch play right back when Carra has been a more than able deputy and we have other right backs here too? Why did he persist with Kuyt in the hole when it was blatantly not working at all? Why did he wait so long to bring Babel on? Why did he play Yossi on the left when it would have been better to play him in the hole and put Kuyt on the right and Maxi on the left instead? The player in the hole has to have a certain amount of creative flair to link with Torres, and Kuyt is never going to be that man. Why wasn't Lucas brought off at half time and Mascherano pushed into the middle?

Regardless of our lack of finances, injuries, bad luck etc. Rafa has made some really bad decisions this season, he is way too negative and is more likely to stick to the same boring negative tactics for the run in. We are in the sh*t, we need to attack our way out of this situation, not F***ing counter attack out of it. I am extremely fu**ed off this season, though not completety Rafa's fault, it is most definitely partly his fault. He is not blameless, surely people can see that?

What worried me most tonight was the Torres interview on ESPN before the game. When he was asked why he loves playing with Gerrard, he commented  that Stevie is the first player he looks for when he's looking to offload the pass. His reason for this was that he feels the ball is always safe when given to Gerrard, obviously hinting at a lack of confidence in the players surrounding him. Torres and Gerrard were split apart tonight and they both looked lost, when your chasing European qualification you need to play to your strengths, and their partnership is the greatest strength we possess this season.

P.S. Congratulations to Wigan for going out and trying to entertain the fans, regardless of their precarious position in the league, Roberto Martinez wants to see his side playing free flowing and attractive football.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #166: Mar 09, 2010 12:10:18 am
      I am weasted!!!!! yaaay woohoo
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #167: Mar 09, 2010 12:11:18 am
      Look at it this way, it could be worse, we could have lost to the Mancs or the Bitters.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #168: Mar 09, 2010 12:12:02 am
      Well, well, well. What a load of absolute f**king sh*te! An absolutely disgraceful performance form the lads and the manager. Rafa has a lot to answer for, not just the players. He got his tactics wrong again. Mascherano at right back again? We have quite a few right backs already here. Lucas started again, I am getting sick of the sight of him now, a dire player if ever there was one. Kuyt was abysmal again, but he's been shocking all season, doesn't Rafa see this? The Torres/Gerrard partnership broken up again and Kuyt playing in the hole? What the f**k is all that about?

Benayoun was dire, Maxi was dire, Insua was dire, Carra was dire, Gerrard was dire, Kuyt was dire, Lucas was dire, Carra was dire. N'Zogbia ripped Insua apart, as have most players with pace this season. We played a team fighting relegation and Rafa went negative again. Why the f**k did he start Lucas when Aquilani was so obviously available? Another mistake was the choice of wingers, Yossi and Maxi should have been swapped around, not that either of them imposed themselves on the game. We were being fu**ed over and Rafa should have changed the personnel at half time. Lucas, Kuyt and Maxi should have been brought off at half time. Why does Rafa wait on average until the sixty five minute mark before making a change? If the players can't produce anything of substance in the first 45 minutes, then what makes him think they can produce it in the first 15 minutes of the second half?

To all the people who instantly jump down posters throats because they have a different opinion to the majority on the forum, Rafa fu**ed it up again tonight with an all too obvious and predictable approach against a team we should have beaten. It's not just the player's fault here, we can't just heap all the blame on their shoulders, Rafa has to take his fair share of criticism too. Why did he break the Gerrard/Torres partnership? Did he not trust Aquilani to do the business in centre midfield? Why did Masch play right back when Carra has been a more than able deputy and we have other right backs here too? Why did he persist with Kuyt in the hole when it was blatantly not working at all? Why did he wait so long to bring Babel on? Why did he play Yossi on the left when it would have been better to play him in the hole and put Kuyt on the right and Maxi on the left instead? The player in the hole has to have a certain amount of creative flair to link with Torres, and Kuyt is never going to be that man. Why wasn't Lucas brought off at half time and Mascherano pushed into the middle?

Regardless of our lack of finances, injuries, bad luck etc. Rafa has made some really bad decisions this season, he is way too negative and is more likely to stick to the same boring negative tactics for the run in. We are in the sh*t, we need to attack our way out of this situation, not f**king counter attack out of it. I am extremely fu**ed off this season, though not completety Rafa's fault, it is most definitely partly his fault. He is not blameless, surely people can see that?

What worried me most tonight was the Torres interview on ESPN before the game. When he was asked why he loves playing with Gerrard, he commented  that Stevie is the first player he looks for when he's looking to offload the pass. His reason for this was that he feels the ball is always safe when given to Gerrard, obviously hinting at a lack of confidence in the players surrounding him. Torres and Gerrard were split apart tonight and they both looked lost, when your chasing European qualification you need to play to your strengths, and their partnership is the greatest strength we possess this season.

P.S. Congratulations to Wigan for going out and trying to entertain the fans, regardless of their precarious position in the league, Roberto Martinez wants to see his side playing free flowing and attractive football.
      Mate at the end of the season I will applaud you're views,until then keep the faith.There will be changes in May.
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #169: Mar 09, 2010 12:16:23 am
      Absolutely disgracefull performance that, every single one of them was sh*te tonight.

Im embarassed by that performance, it was actually cringey. Played off the park by a no mark sh*t team who are, lets be honest, a championship side.

the12thkopite
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 188 posts |
      Reply #170: Mar 09, 2010 12:20:38 am
      Maxi was free and £5m - £17m (depending which paper you quote) for Aquilani wouldn't buy David Villa's right leg. :D

Aquilani's cameo was just about the only positive I can percieve from tonight game. And that's only because he, on the whole, found a man in a red shirt with some of his passes and actually looked like offering us the creative spark we so desperately craved tonight.

Such a shame all this. Really is.

yeah i totally agree but i have to say that there is too much emphasis put on signing costs because to get nothing from someone who is definately not paid nothing just because they were signed on a free is too rich for my taste. i would rather have part of his right leg if it was possible and if it didnt help a jot then well we wouldnt actually be any worse off now. seriously though we could have actually got him despite everything that has been said in the press and "officially". we just didnt want him enough just like we didnt want the 3 points tonight enough. money doesnt grow on trees im well aware of that but these players are actually more likely to be costing us closer to 30m than you think at the end of the day and when your that close to having Gerrard Torres and Villa who in their right mind who owned a football club wouldnt make 30m into over 35m by whichever means necessary.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #171: Mar 09, 2010 12:22:22 am
      Absolutely disgracefull performance that, every single one of them was sh*te tonight.

Im embarassed by that performance, it was actually cringey. Played off the park by a no mark sh*t team who are, lets be honest, a championship side.

Agreed. It was a team thing. No one should be singled out. It was F***ing ugly!

Look at it this way, it could be worse, we could have lost to the Mancs or the Bitters.

I can take the banter and stick though mate. I can't take dishonest performances like that from the reds though. That's what really hurts me more than anything in football.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #172: Mar 09, 2010 12:23:39 am
      This is not one of those times we hide behind the owners' incompetence.

If you compare player for player, we should have won by a huge margin!

We didn't want it badly enough. How did Everton beat Hull 5 - 1 and we cant crush Wigan?
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #173: Mar 09, 2010 12:26:55 am
      Reina - Little to do.

Mascherano - only player in the side who seems to want it.

Carra - played alright i suppose but positioning was all wrong for their goal, pundits picked up on it.

greek - dont feel comfortable with his lack of pace and clumsyness at times. Good in the air and thats it for me.

insua - sh*te but one or two good crosses

lucas - sh*te before he went off. starting to frustrate me again this lad and im criticising him more than i praise him at present

gerrard - one of the worst performances i think ive ever seen him play in a red shirt. need him to get a grip of it all and lead us and tonight he didnt do that

kuyt - cost us the goal with a sh*te pass what the F**k was he doing. school boy errors. had a sh*te game too.

maxi - lazy b***ard, dont care what anybody says, he is full on a lazy b***ard. doesnt track back and wont put a foot in, couldnt care less if he was the greatest player in the world, its not good enough and he needs to understand and learn what it takes to wear that red shirt and fast

torres - looked unfit and lacking match practic to me. his header and his volley he would normally have buried them. 3 or 4 games and he'll be explosive again tho.

aquilani - looked lively an energetic but biggest sh*t house ive ever seen play 11 a side football. get stuck in u fruit.

johnson - did nothing, wasnt involved.

babel - no time to impress or make an impact.

sh*te night, sh*te game, too many players under performed, infact they all did. F***ing awful and i think weve just kissed goodbye to 4th after that
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #174: Mar 09, 2010 12:29:00 am

I can take the banter and stick though mate. I can't take dishonest performances like that from the reds though. That's what really hurts me more than anything in football.

Is right. Really don't know what happened to them tonight, we have certainly had our bad games this season but i think that is without doubt one of the worst. What tops it off is that it was against a team who can't even half fill their own stadium they are that bad.

But could just tell from the moment that Gerrard passed the ball straight to one of their players and just stood there looking at him, no attempt to move and win it back, nothing, that it was going to turn out to be a dire result. Even the fact that Nando was telling the officials to basically F**k off was showing clear signs that no one was in the right frame of mind to play, it was as if they were on the pitch because they had to be on the pitch instead of actually wanting to be on the pitch. They let themselves down big time and this is becoming a recurring theme this season. I think Rafa needs to take a serious look at certain members of the team this summer.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #175: Mar 09, 2010 12:29:21 am
      We didn't want it badly enough. How did Everton beat Hull 5 - 1 and we cant crush Wigan?

That's a different situation though mate. You can't compare it really.

I agree we didn't want it though. Wigan wanted it more than us. Which is criminal.

the12thkopite
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 188 posts |
      Reply #176: Mar 09, 2010 12:31:35 am
      This is not one of those times we hide behind the owners' incompetence.

If you compare player for player, we should have won by a huge margin!

i didnt see the bitters v hull game but i imagine hull played open expansive football high up the field and the bitters were on pretty decent counter attacking form and able to pass the ball quite well too which would probably make hull incomparable to wigan. wigan capitalised on our inability to pass a ball by closing down anyone in a red shirt in any position on the field and playing counter attack from a solid and determined and well executed defensive base.

thing that gets me is that there werent many times at all that our utter crap zonal marking wasnt even close to being a talking point all night, well it was but it was way down the priority list
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #177: Mar 09, 2010 12:38:57 am
      Mate at the end of the season I will applaud you're views,until then keep the faith.There will be changes in May.

I am keeping the faith mate, and i sincerely hope that Rafa stays with us for the future. It is so frustrating though, watching Liverpool playing over cautious football. Too many players have been way below par this season, something is very wrong. Regardless of what's going on behind the scenes, these players have a duty to Liverpool Football Club when they step out on that pitch.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #178: Mar 09, 2010 12:40:01 am
      Just watching it now.

Insua and Gerrard especially were F***ing abysmal. Total and utter sh*te.
      the12thkopite
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 188 posts |
      Reply #179: Mar 09, 2010 12:45:17 am
      Just watching it now.

Insua and Gerrard especially were F***ing abysmal. Total and utter sh*te.

yea! well i dont know about especially but Gerrard looked like he had 2 left feet far too often. Insua actually received the ball very expertly on numerous passes (probably having to cope with the fact the pass was probably sh*te too) but after that he then went on to get owned or pass like a blind man.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #180: Mar 09, 2010 12:45:45 am
      Unfortunately (or not?) I was only able to watch the 1st half, and we werent that bad. I had to go but I was positive that we would still win the game.

I was worried about Masch's positioning on crosses after their first big chance, when he simply stopped on the right side instead of going inside the box to mark Rodallega, and something similar happened again later, in a goal that was simply pathetic... it feels even more sad that we cant react against a poor side like Wigan, cause judging by whats being said here, we were even worse in the 2nd half.
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #181: Mar 09, 2010 12:46:16 am
      Worst performance I've seen todate (barring Portsmouth) we were dire and deserved to lose. Every single player was poor and I'm sure RB knows this!!!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #182: Mar 09, 2010 12:58:28 am
      Worst performance I've seen todate (barring Portsmouth) we were dire and deserved to lose. Every single player was poor and I'm sure RB knows this!!!

Was it worse than Wolves then?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #183: Mar 09, 2010 01:05:32 am
      My Sky's just gone on Standby.

Thank god.

Quick Reply