Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Raheem Sterling (Liverpool > Man City)

Read 378514 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,453 posts | 8661 
      Re: Raheem Sterling (Liverpool > Man City)
      Reply #3151: Mar 03, 2016 06:19:42 am
      Word is Pep will put him on the bench or sell him within 3 transfer windows. 

Wow the f**ker hasn't even turned up at the Etihad and he's already decided who's getting fu**ed off.

BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #3152: Mar 03, 2016 06:47:34 am
      still agree with ex-players/pundits last year. At Man. City for a year or two, get less playing time, and will end up like the countless other "go to Man. City for the money and playing on a relegation team in 3 seasons".  Word is Pep will put him on the bench or sell him within 3 transfer windows. 

Pep wanted him at Bayern. There's no chance he's sold off in the next 3 transfer windows unless he does something stupid. I'd be astonished if he wasn't someone Pep made key to his plans there.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6816 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #3153: Mar 03, 2016 09:15:27 am
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,797 posts | 892 
      Reply #3154: Mar 05, 2016 11:19:58 pm
      Scored a tap in today.

About as good as it gets.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3155: Mar 05, 2016 11:43:21 pm
      Scored a tap in today.

About as good as it gets.

At least he didn't manage it when it mattered.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #3156: Mar 05, 2016 11:55:44 pm
      I don't think he's better than Firmino. And if it wasn't now, he'd just itch for a move later on.

I think it would be a close call who is the better player now, but I certainly wouldn't take a straight swop for Firmino...  based on Sterlings attitude alone.

I do think Sterling has a higher potential, but probably will never reach it mind you.

Personally I wouldn't have sold him for £49million, but then I don't need the money. :)

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3157: Mar 19, 2016 04:00:20 pm
      I feel the same way, though I still think he's a different player when in that #10 role and can be world class if he plays there regularly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0epH-8_PJOA

You are absolutely right, this is just one of many examples as to what Sterling offered in the 10/central role. Look at the space ahead of him, his pace frightens the life out of them.

To this day, I am still baffled as to why Rodgers discontinued Sterlings progression as a 10, same with Coutinho in the midfield diamond.
      I don't like Rodgers much but Sterling would not make a good number 10. He doesn't hit the target enough, he is pretty wasteful. I am not convinced he will ever be able to do any other attacking role than a Winger. He can run past players just fine and his passes are neat and tidy, he just can't shoot.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #3158: Mar 19, 2016 06:52:50 pm
      I don't like Rodgers much but Sterling would not make a good number 10. He doesn't hit the target enough, he is pretty wasteful. I am not convinced he will ever be able to do any other attacking role than a Winger. He can run past players just fine and his passes are neat and tidy, he just can't shoot.

He was utterly incredible as a number 10 in 13/14. It was him and Gerrard that were dragging us towards the title in the final 2-3 months.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3159: Mar 19, 2016 08:46:22 pm
      He was utterly incredible as a number 10 in 13/14. It was him and Gerrard that were dragging us towards the title in the final 2-3 months.
      Checked on ESPN on the stats;

Suarez scored 31 in 37 games and got 15 assists
      Sturridge scored 24 in 33 games and got 8 assists
      Sterling scored 10 goals in 38 games and got 6 assists.

The job of a play maker is to get assists. It is strange how Suarez and Sturridge got a lot of goals but Sterling only got 6 assists in that season when he was number 10 behind the best strikers in Europe. 15 assists is respectable for a number 10, not 6 assists.
      He may have had fancy footwork, but he is not a good number 10 and even the season you said he was good in, stats speak otherwise. Also sterling only scored from around 15% of his shots. That is not very good if you ask me. As for Gerrard, he was okay but not a patch on how he was when he was in his prime. Everyone in that team was average or slightly above average other than Suarez and Sturridge. Suarez being in the team even made Henderson look good.
      « Last Edit: Mar 19, 2016 08:58:34 pm by Ribapuru »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3160: Mar 19, 2016 08:57:56 pm

The job of a play maker is to get assists. It is strange how Suarez and Sturridge got a lot of goals but Sterling only got 6 assists in that season when he was number 10 behind the best strikers in Europe. His goals were a bit below par too. 15 assists is respectable for a number 10, not 6 assists.
      He may have had fancy footwork, but he is not a good number 10 and even the season you said he was good in, stats speak otherwise. Also sterling only scored from around 15% of his shots. That is not very good if you ask me.

I believe he moved into the 10 position second half of the season, but either way, it's not just stats you should be looking at. And a 10 doesn't always mean he has to be a playmaker.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3161: Mar 19, 2016 09:01:17 pm
      I believe he moved into the 10 position second half of the season, but either way, it's not just stats you should be looking at. And a 10 doesn't always mean he has to be a playmaker.
      Stats are important. 6 assists behind the best strikers in Europe in the whole season and your reasoning a number 10 doesn't have to be a play maker. Please try explain how his contribution helped so much in that season then, he certainly can't tackle very well. He was a red card waiting to happen. Another stat, Sterling scored 0 goals in 18 European games for us, but stats aren't everything are they?

The truth is Sterling is one of those players that look better than they are.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3162: Mar 19, 2016 09:22:59 pm
      Stats are important. 6 assists behind the best strikers in Europe in the whole season and your reasoning a number 10 doesn't have to be a play maker. Please try explain how his contribution helped so much in that season then, he certainly can't tackle very well. He was a red card waiting to happen. Another stat, Sterling scored 0 goals in 18 European games for us, but stats aren't everything are they?

Do stats show what passing options Sterling had during each game, what kind of runs he made, how often he harried the opposition? how many defenders he pulled to make space for our players? the type of oppositions he was up against? etc etc. Stats aren't everything :)

Oh, and he was never a red card waiting to happen. How many times has he been sent off for us?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3163: Mar 19, 2016 09:37:41 pm
      Do stats show what passing options Sterling had during each game, what kind of runs he made, how often he harried the opposition? how many defenders he pulled to make space for our players? the type of oppositions he was up against? etc etc. Stats aren't everything :)

Oh, and he was never a red card waiting to happen. How many times has he been sent off for us?
      Gerrard had to calm the situation down a lot with his tackles. Praising him for making spaces is just praising him for the bare minimum. Were you one of the people who praised Borini for his movement? I am not the only one who recognized Sterling had insufficient end product whilst at Liverpool. It is the reason he got put at full back the season after. Luckily we managed to get 50m for a player slightly above average.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #3164: Mar 19, 2016 09:41:00 pm

The job of a play maker is to get assists. It is strange how Suarez and Sturridge got a lot of goals but Sterling only got 6 assists in that season when he was number 10 behind the best strikers in Europe. 15 assists is respectable for a number 10, not 6 assists.
      He may have had fancy footwork, but he is not a good number 10 and even the season you said he was good in, stats speak otherwise. Also sterling only scored from around 15% of his shots. That is not very good if you ask me. As for Gerrard, he was okay but not a patch on how he was when he was in his prime. Everyone in that team was average or slightly above average other than Suarez and Sturridge. Suarez being in the team even made Henderson look good.

Take a look at Iniesta's stats. Even at his best they were never the best. Is he average too? Of course not. He's one of the best players to ever play the game.

Sterling came on as a substitute quite a lot in the first half of the season so those appearance stats will be padded by those too. He only played as a number ten in the second half of 13/14 anyway. Gerrard was brilliant in 13/14. It's revisionism to say otherwise. After that Villa game we drew 2-2, he was brilliant. It's also not true to say that everyone in that team was average. Also, F**k off with the Henderson dig.

Jesus. If you didn't think Sterling was brilliant that season, I don't know what to say. I'm sure even the people who no longer rate him think he was superb then. A red card waiting to happen? Surely you're just wumming again... We weren't in Europe in 13/14 and that is the season that we were discussing. He's been brilliant in Europe for City this season, by the way.

BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #3165: Mar 19, 2016 09:44:43 pm
      Gerrard had to calm the situation down a lot with his tackles. Praising him for making spaces is just praising him for the bare minimum. Were you one of the people who praised Borini for his movement? I am not the only one who recognized Sterling had insufficient end product whilst at Liverpool. It is the reason he got put at full back the season after. Luckily we managed to get 50m for a player slightly above average.

No he didn't. What Gerrard had to do was go steaming into tackles after a player had gone in hard on Sterling. 10 goals and 6 assists isn't insufficient end product, especially when half of the season was spent in and out of the side. Even last season, he still contributed a fair amount considering his age and the pressure on him. Is he the best finisher? No, obviously not, I'm not going to try and dispute that. His stats are great for a player of his age though. And the reason he got put at full back wasn't because of a lack of end product... It's because we lacked players capable of playing that wing back role that Brendan wanted us to use and Sterling is one of the most intelligent young players I've EVER seen. Sterling was quite clearly one of the players that Rodgers thought most highly of in terms of talent.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3166: Mar 19, 2016 09:48:00 pm
      Take a look at Iniesta's stats. Even at his best they were never the best. Is he average too? Of course not. He's one of the best players to ever play the game.

Sterling came on as a substitute quite a lot in the first half of the season so those appearance stats will be padded by those too. He only played as a number ten in the second half of 13/14 anyway. Gerrard was brilliant in 13/14. It's revisionism to say otherwise. After that Villa game we drew 2-2, he was brilliant. It's also not true to say that everyone in that team was average. Also, f**k off with the Henderson dig.

Jesus. If you didn't think Sterling was brilliant that season, I don't know what to say. I'm sure even the people who no longer rate him think he was superb then. A red card waiting to happen? Surely you're just wumming again... We weren't in Europe in 13/14 and that is the season that we were discussing. He's been brilliant in Europe for City this season, by the way.
      It is obvious you rate Sterling. After all the sitters he missed at Liverpool and still misses at City I can't share your opinion. That is all.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3167: Mar 19, 2016 10:00:56 pm
      Gerrard had to calm the situation down a lot with his tackles. Praising him for making spaces is just praising him for the bare minimum. Were you one of the people who praised Borini for his movement? I am not the only one who recognized he had insufficient end product whilst at Liverpool. It is the reason he got put at full back the season after. Luckily we managed to get 50m for a player slightly above average.

And are you one of those that says Lucas, Masch, Busquets don't get enough goals? ;)

If you can't see what Sterling offered to us as a #10 (after i explained it), and base the ability of a player on stats, I really shouldn't bother replying. 

And Sterling a red card in the waiting, I mean, seriously, did you actually watch full games or MOTD highlights, or perhaps match reports from a Manc on red cafe? ;)
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3168: Apr 16, 2016 06:53:03 pm
      Where's he gone? Not even on the bench?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #3169: Apr 16, 2016 06:56:34 pm
      Where's he gone? Not even on the bench?

Isn't this the time of year he likes a quick jaunt to Jamaica? :D

Will be interesting what Guardiola does with him that's for sure. I still think his most influencial position is in the middle something Rodgers started to coach into him to be fair but of course he competes with the likes of Silva there.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      Reply #3170: Apr 16, 2016 07:05:15 pm
      Isn't this the time of year he likes a quick jaunt to Jamaica? :D

Will be interesting what Guardiola does with him that's for sure. I still think his most influencial position is in the middle something Rodgers started to coach into him to be fair but of course he competes with the likes of Silva there.

So he's not injured then? Just binned?

His web site.

http://raheemsterling.com/maintenance.html

:roll:
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #3171: Apr 16, 2016 07:07:50 pm
      So he's not injured then? Just binned?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/englands-raheem-sterling-way-ahead-7747228

Looks like he is injured mate, haven't followed him so this is the first I've heard too.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      Reply #3172: Apr 16, 2016 07:13:58 pm

Cheers.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6816 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #3173: Apr 16, 2016 10:48:27 pm
      Read somewhere that when he left us, his contract stipulated that if they make the semis of the Champs League with Citeh, we get 300K. Wonder how much we get if they make the final and how much if they win the Final?

Quick Reply