Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match

Maxi Rodriguez
      (5.7%)
      Alberto Aquilani
      (73.8%)
      Fernando Torres
      (17.7%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (0%)
      Ryan Babel
      (2.8%)
      Glen Johnson
      (0%)
      Javier Mascherano
      (0%)

Liverpool 4 - 1 Portsmouth: Post-match bliss

Read 21583 times
      ssr.w
      • Forum David Johnson

• 245 posts |
      • Liverbird tattoed in my heart!
      Re: Liverpool 4 - 1 Portsmouth: Post-match bliss
      Reply #69: Mar 15, 2010 10:41:18 pm
      ohhh yes!! a win against a rellegated team who score against us.. what a great achievement!!
      The lads played well, but Gerrard, carra and Insua need a little talk..
      I know that we're all pleasant with this win but let's stop a minute and see the whole picture..
      Of course that I want this winning streak to keep on going forever..

go reds!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #70: Mar 15, 2010 10:42:04 pm
      Never give up. Always get behind your team:

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=28333.msg603484#msg603484

Just a shame 80% of the Liverpool support couldn't be arsed singing tonight when we truly did play some proper football. One of the very few times this season we left our players to walk alone, rather than them joining in with the morbid way of going at Anfield.
      SODMG
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 357 posts | -1 
      • S.O.D Money Gang
      Reply #71: Mar 15, 2010 10:43:02 pm
      machell88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 269 posts |
      Reply #72: Mar 15, 2010 10:44:11 pm
      I think nando's second goal sent a trickle of pee down vidic's leg!!
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #73: Mar 15, 2010 10:44:32 pm
      How about this for a song for Alberto (To the tune of paparazzi - lady gaga)

I'm your biggest fan I'll follow you until you love me, AQUA, AQUILANI ;D
      the12thkopite
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 188 posts |
      Reply #74: Mar 15, 2010 10:46:01 pm
      I think nando's second goal sent a trickle of pee down vidic's leg!!

did the same to me i was that excited and i could tear myself away from the game when i was bursting!
      KOPMKD
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 129 posts |
      Reply #75: Mar 15, 2010 10:46:51 pm
      The line up was crucial from my point,Aquilani and Babel made all the difference,they improve our pace,passing,attacking options...oh...and they both scored ;)I'd love to see them both against Scumchester,but I'm afraid I'm gonna see Lucas and Kuyt instead >:(
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #76: Mar 15, 2010 10:48:13 pm
      Well done lads, an excellent performance. Still can't believe Rafa dropped Lucas and Kuyt! What an excellent move it was, something i have been calling for all season. We look such a different proposition with Aquilani in the middle. Babel and Maxi were excellent and Torres and Gerrard were getting plenty of service. Attack minded players will inevitably compliment each other and we looked like the Liverpool of last season. My only fear is that we'll see Kuyt and Lucas back for the Scum game, please Rafa, now is the time to go for it.

I'll post a full match analysis tomorrow. Well done Reds, and well done Rafa, 28 games too late though.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #77: Mar 15, 2010 10:49:03 pm

Boss!
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #78: Mar 15, 2010 10:50:12 pm
      Has the MOTM been confirmed anyone know? I would've thought it'd be Alberto although it could have gone to a couple of others to be fair!
      SODMG
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 357 posts | -1 
      • S.O.D Money Gang
      Reply #79: Mar 15, 2010 10:53:25 pm
      Has the MOTM been confirmed anyone know? I would've thought it'd be Alberto although it could have gone to a couple of others to be fair!

Aquilani got MOTM

Thats great :D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #80: Mar 15, 2010 10:54:45 pm

He did indeed. Deservedly so although I think Babel was immense tonight. He was all over the pitch passing the ball with confidence.

hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #81: Mar 15, 2010 10:56:09 pm
      He did indeed. Deservedly so although I think Babel was immense tonight. He was all over the pitch passing the ball with confidence.

I'll second that.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #82: Mar 15, 2010 10:57:51 pm
      Rafa Post Match

"I think it was a good game. We were trying to play well for the fans and score goals. It was an important game in an important week, so we are really pleased.

"It was really good for him (Aquilani) and for the team and he will have more confidence.

"We have seen a lot of players playing well tonight and that is good for me because I will have more problems and more of a (selection) headache.

"I think his performance shows he has quality, and we knew this before. Again I will say, there were some players playing really well tonight, and Aquilani was one of them."

Torres added a fourth for Liverpool 13 minutes from time before Nadir Belhadj netted a late consolation for Pompey.

However, it proved to be the only setback on an otherwise excellent night's work for the home side, who returned to winning ways after consecutive defeats to Wigan Athletic and Lille.

"Against Lille we showed character," continued Benitez. "We didn't play fantastic, but we had some chances and could have scored.

"Tonight we played well, the pitch was much better and the players could enjoy playing good football."

Benitez also highlighted the performance of Torres, who had a hand in all four goals and took this tally to the season so far to 15.

"I have said before he is a key player for us," he said. "He can score goals, is a threat for defenders, can create space for the players behind him and he is really important for us."

On Babel's encouraging performance, Benitez added: "Ryan was doing well in the last week in every training session. We gave him an opportunity and he did well, so I am also really pleased for him."

The gaffer opted to withdraw Torres, Steven Gerrard and Glen Johnson from the action towards the end of the second half and admitted he was pleased to have an opportunity to rest some of his stars.

He said: "We had some players we needed to rest, maybe more than we did. We couldn't do all of them and I think the priority was maybe Glen, Stevie and Torres, and also to give an opportunity to other players."

Benitez also played down fears Javier Mascherano may have sustained a knock after he was spotted limping towards the end of the contest, insisting the Argentina captain was suffering from tiredness.

Meanwhile, the manager was quizzed by reporters on media speculation linking Liverpool with potential investment.

"I think today is a day to enjoy," he said. "There are a lot of people who can talk about this, but the main thing for me now is the team and in terms of the club, the best way for me to try to help is by winning games."
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #83: Mar 15, 2010 10:59:14 pm
      I voted for the Aquilani too

And I'll also third that Kenny, Babel was great too.

Did anyone hear Aquilani giving his best English interview after the game by the way? :D
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #84: Mar 15, 2010 10:59:50 pm
      Brilliant stuff. Glad we got a decent Yanks Out going as well. Brilliant showing from Aquilani and Maxi today. Made up.

When I was handing out the SOS leaflets, one fan came up to me and said "whos Tom and George?" "Do we not like them?"  :mad:
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,356 posts | 2876 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #85: Mar 15, 2010 11:02:34 pm
      Loved it. Delighted with meself sat here.

Not cos we we won, not cos we scored 4 not even cos we got 3 points...Im delighted cos we passed the ball and got forward from midfield at last.

4 well taken goals could have had 2 or 3 more. Loved Aquilani. Babel done ok but the goal will do him the world of good. Maxi played well tonight. Torres was Torres but hes onl about 80% fit!!

Reina deserves a mention for a top save when he had nothing to do before hand

Crowd were sh*te apart from when the goals went in, apart from the usual bit from the Kop who try to ge it going every game
      100%lfc4ever
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 89 posts |
      Reply #86: Mar 15, 2010 11:04:00 pm
      same team minus Insua against Manure next sunday PLEASE Rafa,we were positive and went for it from the off,MOTM was Alberto-some of his movement/runs off the ball were excellent and his distribution was of high quality,Nando's second goal was awesome.The only negatives were Insua(simply not a good defender) was like a headless chicken at times and is caught out of position far to many times and Carra(starting to look his age)I think Danny Agger carried Carra at times and Carra should have done an aweful lot better with there goal.I hope Masch will be ok if not for thursday then the scum game next sunday.I just hope Rafa has finally seen the errors of his ways this season(width and pace tonight instead of everything going down the middle) and doesn't bring back Kuyt and Lucas anytime soon but I fear he will bring them back for the games coming up and if he does he will be slated.
      PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #87: Mar 15, 2010 11:04:21 pm
      Barbel is a fish.  Joe Royles big fat head should not be on my telly. pr**k. Why were they all trying to get Gerrard banned, when that Brown Hatter is a snide b***ard? The ref was a typical young person. On another planet.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #88: Mar 15, 2010 11:10:23 pm
      F***ing fantastic. Few downsides, just the goal (which again showed we are a long way from perfect) but when you knock in 4 at the other end then F**k it ;D Also the Gerrard elbow, bit reckless but hopefully blows over. Browns a c**t, he was all over Stevie from the off trying to tackle him out of the game, so F**k him.

Torres - rampant, he looked right up for it and knocked in his two well, the second just classic Torres -  nutmegging the defender then powerfully controlled finish. Arguably his best shot of the night was that one that just missed by hitting the post. Probably MOTM for me, but im still debating in my head :D

Babel - F**k lad, every time i give up on you, you come out and do this! Quality performance, really owned that left side tonight. Still had a couple times where he lost the ball, but overall he has been showing signs lately that he is ready to turn that corner. Great performance, capped off by a well finished strike. Now just keep it up!

Maxi - Starting to grow into his role now in the team, with another promising show. Ive always liked the guy and i was sure that sooner or later he would start showing us why he is so well-regarded around the world.

Aquilani - f***in' A! Thats what im talkin' bout! Lovely stuff, he was eager and wanting to move the ball forward and showed some real eye for picking a pass. Quality ball through for Torres's second. And was a nice strike for his goal as well.

Gerrard - Looked a completely different player to last week! There was some heart and fight in him again, and he looked something more like the rampaging beast of a man we know him as. His desire to win the ball is what scored us that first goal, and my face really lit up when i saw that - now more of that mate! And maybe just check your surroundings when swatting flies with ya elbow ;)

Just gonna pack the defense into one - Was an average performance up until the goal, with not much to do but still not looking totally sure of themselves. Insua did some good things, along with some bad. Then the goal came, and the average performance went to bad. When you haven't had much to do all game, and then F**k up like that - there's no excuse. Reina deserved a clean sheet after he hadn't had to do much either, but then made a damn good save earlier when called upon.

Overall though, im F***ing buzzing. First time in 6 months we had scored more than 2 in the league, horrible stat but damn good to see it done with. We looked a lot more like that free-flowing team that almost won the league last season.

Roll on red-men! Don't let this be another false dawn!  :aaliverpool2xt1: :kop5cf8koxp6:
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #89: Mar 15, 2010 11:12:53 pm
      Great game, worked well tonight. Aquilani to grab a goal was great. Torres setting up two and scoring two perfect, world world class. Gerrard on michael brown great, hate that pr**k who does like that x spurs reject. Babel scoring was good too. Even carra getting in on the action was great would of been great if he scored haha. Overall a world class performance boys, really impressed. Hope mascherano is okay, I'm going to bet on us to beat lille and the manc w*nk
      Brooklyn Red
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #90: Mar 15, 2010 11:19:36 pm
      F***ing fantastic performance! Really disappointed in the "supporters", though. Four-F***ing-hundred Pompey fans made more noise than the other 39,600? Shameful.

But, this isn't a time for negativity. That was beautiful football.

Aquilani is my MOTM, but it could easily have been Torres or Babel. I'm not a Lucas basher, but anyone can see we were a hell of a lot more positive without him out there. And, to be fair, Kuyt's absence was major, too.

And, for all the good things that Steven Gerrard brings, why is he throwing his elbow at that pussy, Brown? Ffs, that was irresponsible with the match vs. the scum coming up.

Anyway, what is this strange feeling?
      Arnie
      • Forum John Toshack

• 249 posts |
      Reply #91: Mar 15, 2010 11:22:45 pm
      Does anyone have a link to that Aquilani interview?

Quick Reply