Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Torres V Rooney

Read 7079 times
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 12,350 posts | 1533 
      Torres V Rooney
      Mar 30, 2010 08:33:59 pm
      I'm not sure if there is a similar topic anywhere else on this, but I can't find one. This is not just about the ability of the players even though they are quite different.  

It has to be said Rooney has played out of his skin this season, and I'm sure everyone (English that is) is hopeing he can keep up this form for England in the summer. Torres on the other hand, started the season well and then, through injury has spent most of his playing time, in 1st gear as he has not had chance to get match fit before succumbing to injury again.

He is now, only just returning to something close to his best form. Here is the difference. Utd have been praised for their great run of results, followed by "where would they have been without Rooney" Every one seems to be in agreement, that without him, Utd would probably be in mid table such is his influence on games. Yet they also say, one player doesn't make a team!  

In addition to this we get, Without Torres, Liverpool look a shambles, the team is nowhere near good enough to win the prem. They are in decline and it is not good enough for a club like Liverpool, Etc. Etc. Etc. And we shouldn't be relying on one player to lift us all the time.    

Oh ! not like Rooney then ?

This pisses me off so much.  

This is just further evidence that the sports media on the whole, is anti Liverpool and pro Utd. One rule for them, another for us.  I'm so sick of the double standards, I'm reluctant to read the sports pages anymore, or even listen to the crap that spills from S.S.N. and the like.

Has anyone else got any similar reports on the two faces of journalism regarding our team.?      

And by the way, I'd take Torres over Rooney any day.
      « Last Edit: Mar 30, 2010 11:28:11 pm by JD »
      Hagbard
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 140 posts |
      • Che was a red
      Re: Torres V Rooney
      Reply #1: Mar 30, 2010 08:38:24 pm
      The media owners and editors usually lean towards united and chelsea. These are the fashionable clubs for people to pretend they are real football supporters (when we all know that they are really gobsh*tes)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2: Mar 30, 2010 08:49:40 pm
      Torres can score a goal out of nothing and from anywhere, Rooney can't, Torres isn't far behind on goals in about 20 less games so shows who has the better goals scoring ability. Torres is better, end of discussion.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,953 posts | 5010 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #3: Mar 30, 2010 08:53:53 pm
      I'm not sure if there is a similar topic anywhere else on this, but I can't find one. This is not just about the ability of the players even though they are quite different.  It has to be said Rooney has played out of his skin this season, and I'm sure everyone (English that is) is hopeing he can keep up this form for England in the summer. Torres on the other hand, started the season well and then, through injury has spent most of his playing time, in 1st gear as he has not had chance to get match fit before succumbing to injury again. He is now, only just returning to something close to his best form. Here is the difference. Utd have been praised for their great run of results, followed by "where would they have been without Rooney" Every one seems to be in agreement, that without him, Utd would probably be in mid table such is his influence on games. Yet they also say, one player doesn't make a team!  In addition to this we get, Without Torres, Liverpool look a shambles, the team is nowhere near good enough to win the prem. They are in decline and it is not good enough for a club like Liverpool, Etc. Etc. Etc. And we shouldn't be relying on one player to lift us all the time.            Oh ! not like Rooney then ?             This pisses me off so much.  
      This is just further evidence that the sports media on the whole, is anti Liverpool and pro Utd. One rule for them, another for us.  I'm so sick of the double standards, I'm reluctant to read the sports pages anymore, or even listen to the crap that spills from S.S.N. and the like. Has anyone else got any similar reports on the two faces of journalism regarding our team.?      And by the way, I'd take Torres over Rooney any day.
      Like you Gerns i too get pissed off with the double standards of the media, In the end tho mate it's alway's been like this, Especialy since the prem began, When sky monopolised football on tv, Its only in recent years that the Scum have been dominant and to some of the younger posters this is all they have experienced, I can remember the days when we were hated by everyone when we dominated from the mid-seventies to the late eighties, But of course we did'nt have the media then as we have now so i suppose it's par for the course the amount of coverage the scum get compared to how we were exposed, For the more mature posters such as myself we have our memories and of course our history speaks for itself, If we were as dominant as we were in those glory days i still think the media would be anti-Liverpool and stop at nothing to sell there shitty rags, Don't they just love to hype you up and place you on a pedestal only for the same people to cut the legs from under you as soon as they get bored or their sales drop, How many times has that been proved over the years, But you have a good point about double standards and i'm afraid it will always seem that way ......unless your SCUM.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 12,350 posts | 1533 
      Reply #4: Mar 30, 2010 09:05:26 pm
      Torres can score a goal out of nothing and from anywhere, Rooney can't, Torres isn't far behind on goals in about 20 less games so shows who has the better goals scoring ability. Torres is better, end of discussion.

Think you missed the point Kenny. I agree Torres is the better striker but the post wasn't just about that.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #5: Mar 30, 2010 09:08:35 pm

Think you missed the point Kenny. I agree Torres is the better striker but the post wasn't just about that.

No i didn't miss the point, i was just stating what the likes of Sky and all the pro united lot always fail to mention.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,251 posts | 924 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #6: Mar 30, 2010 09:12:00 pm
      Rooney has a wonderfull supply, from a far stronger attacking team, i would  love to see what Torres would do with a supply like that............
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #7: Mar 30, 2010 09:42:56 pm
      Take away Rooney's tap-ins and penalties and he'd have about 12 goals. Take away Torres' tap-ins and penalties and he'd have about 19.

Rooney doesn't have the ability that Torres has to create his own chances. Torres will often use a piece of skill or trickery to fashion a chance out of nothing, Rooney uses his physicality and movement to get onto the end of crosses.

Both players are brilliant goal-scorers, but Rooney would be nothing without the wonderful service he gets. Torres can feed on scraps and still score goals.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #8: Mar 30, 2010 10:03:07 pm
      Imagine them as a pairing up front? Thank f**k ManUre didn't get Torres.
      xxLiverPrinc3ssxx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,018 posts | 62 
      • *****YNWA*****
      Reply #9: Mar 30, 2010 10:17:46 pm
      No doubt about it Rooney is a quality player but i'd pick Torres over him any day.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #10: Mar 30, 2010 10:26:39 pm
      One is fat and shags his Granny...the other is a ball of pure greatness that turns straight men torresexual in a second.
      RedWilly

• 9,198 posts | 1641 
      Reply #11: Mar 30, 2010 10:44:35 pm
      If this thread is meant to highlight how the media swing more towards the mancs than Liverpool, then it's the wrong title, because anyone who reads it will immediately compare the two.

The mancs have always had the media with them, it also helps when massive companies such as Granada are based there, and I believe the Mirror is aswell. Liverpool doesn't have a massive media outlet like that, which could be one way of looking at why they get it like they do.

The other way being that the world is full of plastic cu*ts who want a slice of the pie. Wankers.
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #12: Mar 30, 2010 11:09:45 pm
      Rooney has a wonderfull supply, from a far stronger attacking team, I would  love to see what Torres would do with a supply like that............
      Torres in an arsenal team would get 40+ goals every season
      Murph
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 153 posts | 17 
      Reply #13: Mar 30, 2010 11:18:43 pm
      Rooney injured, will he overtake him, going to be to hard this stage of the season.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,657 posts | 6951 
      Reply #14: Mar 30, 2010 11:30:47 pm
      Most United fans consider £30M Berbatov to be a steaming pile of turd.  We pay £20M for a midfielder and if he isn't the dogs bollocks people feel they have the right to carry out a character assassination on Benitez.

Anyway

Rooney isn't fit to lace Torres' boots.

Plus our Nando doesn't shag Grannies.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,657 posts | 6951 
      Reply #15: Mar 30, 2010 11:37:36 pm
      Torres in an arsenal team would get 40+ goals every season
      Torres being fit every game of the season in a Liverpool team would get 40+ goals a season.
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #16: Mar 30, 2010 11:39:59 pm
      No contest Nando everytime.....Wayne who!!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,297 posts | 2841 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #17: Mar 30, 2010 11:52:31 pm
      Yeah Nando is way better looking!!
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #18: Mar 31, 2010 12:48:05 am
      That number 9 we have over there number 10 anyday.

Isn't rooney no injured?
      machell88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 269 posts |
      Reply #19: Mar 31, 2010 12:57:26 am
      It pisses me off this debate, i know a few mancs from being at uni down south, and they bum rooney all day long just cos he's had one good goal scoring season, what about all the bad ones!?

Even being objective Torres wins every time- he's quicker, a better finisher, more natural on the ball, more dangerous in the box, makes space better, and more importantly rooney doesn't scare defenders in the same way torres does.

HAHAHA
      ozgooner
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 697 posts |
      • P-38 W-26 D-12 L-0 'Victoria Concordia Crescit'
      Reply #20: Mar 31, 2010 01:36:36 am
      One is fat and shags his Granny...the other is a ball of pure greatness that turns straight men torresexual in a second.

:lmao: quote of the week
      idwLFC89
      • Banned

• 252 posts | 11 
      Reply #21: Mar 31, 2010 01:44:06 am
      Torres is the best striker in the world, his scoring rate proves it, and he's played half as many matches as everyone else this season
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #22: Mar 31, 2010 02:22:46 am
      And by the way, I'd take Torres over Rooney any day.

I think a few more people should have read your original post properly mate.

Agree with what you say. Apart from hoping Rooney will be fit in the summer bit.  ;) You've just got to get on with it regarding the media I reckon. I stopped reading national media a long time ago with regards to sport. There's more 'experts' in journalism these days than there is in football. Or so they would have you believe.

The simple fact is. The mancs without Rooney this season would suffer. And us without Torres this season have suffered.

Quick Reply