Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Summer 2010

Read 6151 times
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Summer 2010
      Apr 23, 2010 09:53:47 am
      Been supporting this club of ours of 30 years and in that time I cant remember a more important period than the next few months coming up. Regardless of if we win the Europa cup or finish top 4 (which I dont think we will get close too by the way) with all the boardroom nonsense and goings on, uncertainty about our managers future, the as always ongoing rumours that some of our best players could be moving on etc I fear/hope this could be break/make for us.

Obvious you might say, but my point is with it being a world cup year also, our top players may be even more targeted by Europes elite due to the fact our internal unrest in the boardroom and below par season could have a few players disgruntled with the direction the club is going (and rightly so).

Ideally of course, post world cup the clubs financial state will be healthier come July and Rafa's future will be sorted one way or the other, one things for sure...the next few months are massive for our club and we have to hope the men making the big decisions get things right for a change and on the players side, others take a leap of faith and follow in Pepe's shoes and commit to the club long-term.

Our pride has been dented this season without question, so for starters lets finish the season on a high and send the squad off to the World Cup with pride intact, get the World cup out of the way and boardroom wrangles permitting ....come back stronger than ever next season! YNWA
      « Last Edit: Apr 23, 2010 03:55:45 pm by MsGerrard »
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: SUMMER 2010
      Reply #1: Apr 23, 2010 11:38:32 am
      New owners.

New players. Not loads of new players. A few with real quality would do.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2: Apr 23, 2010 11:43:10 am
      New Owners.

Ample investment in the playing side.

I'd take Turan, Silva, Llahm, Martinez, Villa, Jovanovich, right now and call that a highly successful summer.

Where as we'll probably get some mid range 2-5 million players to paper over the cracks.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #3: Apr 23, 2010 11:45:06 am
      I personally think Lahm would be crap in this league. Plus we already have a right back.
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #4: Apr 23, 2010 11:47:32 am
      If we do not get new owners in the summer, then I feel other clubs are going to try and sign our best players.  And the way these yanks act, i would not be surprised if they accepted, just to line there pockets.

These next few months are vital for the club and supporters, no one wants another year like this.  My emeotions cannot take it anymore.

I am hoping that the silence at the moment is a good thing and people are talking about buying us.  I am sick and tired of our laudry getting aired in public.  This has never been the Liverpool way.

Fingers crossed they sell and vanish.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #5: Apr 23, 2010 11:50:26 am
      I personally think Lahm would be crap in this league. Plus we already have a right back.

Good job too considering he can like Arbeloa play as a left back mate :D
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,488 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #6: Apr 23, 2010 11:51:12 am
      New owners and I'd like to see the following here:

Silva, Turan, Mata, Jovanovic and an impressive left back will do.
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #7: Apr 23, 2010 12:00:43 pm
      Do people really think we can sign villa, silva, mata?

NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #8: Apr 23, 2010 12:03:44 pm
      i think it all depends on what happens with the sale of the club, no one will come to us just now as there is so must uncertainty.  New owners would hopefully bring stability to the club, new staduim, money for players and a new buzz around the club.  if this happens then who know who could come to us and what we could do next season.   We need someone to come in and wake the club back up again.

crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #9: Apr 23, 2010 12:17:21 pm
      People have to dream to aspire for something. I dream of new owners who will build the new stadium and spend money the right way. We don't need to approach it like Chelsea, we just new a few players.

Left back (Critical importance)
      Second Striker (With Jov coming lesser so, but important nevertheless essential) - Babel upfront maybe
      Creative midfielder (Anyone of the Rivaldo calibre)
      Left winger - Creative out and out winger
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #10: Apr 23, 2010 12:25:06 pm
      A new left back is number 1 priority for me. Insua has been out of his depth this season far too many times. A great little player on his day but hes lost his consistency this season.

Second priority goes to central midfield. Liverpool have looked far too plain all season, theres been no drive or creativity from the middle all season, at times its been F***ing dire. Weve got our own little hard man in mascherano so now we need o sign somebody who can play football to sit next to him. Is aquilani this man? IMO no, hes played about 3 games this season. Next season it'll be similar i imagine.

Third goes to a striker. We are, lets face it, well and truly fu**ed without torres. We need a 15-20 goal a season striker as backup which is going to be difficult to find, a good striker who is prepared to sit on the bench for 2/3's of a season.

Fourth then goes to a winger. Maxi and kuyt together for the season will sort that right flank out. Use kuyt away from home were we need to be more defensive and use maxi at home were we need to me more creative. Sorted.  Problem is our left flank. Id like to see somebody with bags of pace there who will run at defenders. Babel is never a left midfielder and even though i rate yossi, theres certain games where he just cant crack it.

Fifth, if theres any change, go for another central defender. I no you all love the big greek but personally i find him as a liability. Hes too slow and gets caught on the ball far too often IMO. Carra only has a season or 2 left in him too so lets get some cover for agger and skrtel.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #11: Apr 23, 2010 12:37:06 pm
      Well there will definitely be a lot of attention towards our club this summer with concerns over bids for the clubs, having the ability and money to sign the right players to take the club forward and those players who want to move on or are speculated to want a move away. Anything other than new owners and the likes of Silva, Turan and Villa would be a failure because we wouldn't have gone forward at all.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Re: Summer 2010
      Reply #12: Apr 23, 2010 06:04:17 pm
      Yes. He would be the greatest waste of money. He can play left back though. But I want Warnock.. I really want him back.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #13: Apr 23, 2010 06:08:32 pm
      A new left back is number 1 priority for me. Insua has been out of his depth this season far too many times. A great little player on his day but hes lost his consistency this season.

Second priority goes to central midfield. Liverpool have looked far too plain all season, theres been no drive or creativity from the middle all season, at times its been f**king dire. Weve got our own little hard man in mascherano so now we need o sign somebody who can play football to sit next to him. Is aquilani this man? IMO no, hes played about 3 games this season. Next season it'll be similar I imagine.

Third goes to a striker. We are, lets face it, well and truly fu**ed without torres. We need a 15-20 goal a season striker as backup which is going to be difficult to find, a good striker who is prepared to sit on the bench for 2/3's of a season.

Fourth then goes to a winger. Maxi and kuyt together for the season will sort that right flank out. Use kuyt away from home were we need to be more defensive and use maxi at home were we need to me more creative. Sorted.  Problem is our left flank. Id like to see somebody with bags of pace there who will run at defenders. Babel is never a left midfielder and even though I rate yossi, theres certain games where he just cant crack it.

Fifth, if theres any change, go for another central defender. I no you all love the big greek but personally I find him as a liability. Hes too slow and gets caught on the ball far too often IMO. Carra only has a season or 2 left in him too so lets get some cover for agger and skrtel.

Agreed!
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #14: Apr 23, 2010 06:11:38 pm
      New Owners.

Ample investment in the playing side.

I'd take Turan, Silva, Llahm, Martinez, Villa, Jovanovich, right now and call that a highly successful summer.

Where as we'll probably get some mid range 2-5 million players to paper over the cracks.

Let's be reasonable here. With alot of luck and a very big push, we'll get £50 million to spend, where this comes from I don't know so I see it as unlikely. Anyway, with this £50 million we're not going to get Villa and Silva because that would take at least £70 million. As for Turan, Llahm and Martinez I reckon we could get them for £50 million and Jovanovic on a free.
      Whoisfootball
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      • Im sorry please unban me.
      Reply #15: Apr 23, 2010 06:47:33 pm
      Just improve the club on and off the pitch.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #16: Apr 23, 2010 06:49:11 pm
      Just improve the club on and off the pitch.

If only the process of doing so was so straight forward.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #17: Apr 23, 2010 08:39:57 pm
      Left back (not Lahm! He's sh*te defensively), striker, left winger. Maybe a new centre back also.

New owners.

Same manager.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #18: Apr 24, 2010 12:01:24 am
      Summer 2010.
      Hicks and Gillett disappear without trace..
      Silva and Aguero come in.

It ll be hot and then later on it will get dark.
      Nice.

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #19: Apr 24, 2010 12:05:17 am
      I don't want David Villa. Don't think it is wise to spend 30 million on a player his age.

New owners.
      New stadium.
      New players after getting rid of some we don't really need.
      > Silva, Jovanovic, Cole ( I hope!), Turan and a left back.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #20: Apr 24, 2010 03:54:21 am
      My suggestions

OUT:

Riera £6m
      Degen £2m
      Plessis (loan)
      N'Gog (loan)
      Skrtel (£8m)

IN:

Jovanovic (free) - close to a done deal anyway
      Bonnart (£8m - this might be a stretch for a few reasons, at 30/31 is slightly old but will hold up until Insua develops and can play RB equally as well)
      Turan (£15m) - 23, expressed a desire to come to Liverpool, might need an extra £5m to secure the deal
      Kjaer (£15m) - 21, expressed a desire to link up with Agger, hope he still feels that way even without CL football.
      Metzelder (free) - out of favour at Real, very experienced but might want too high wages.  Could also provide cover for Mascherano as an anchor man.  Untested there, but what do you guys think?

£30-35m odd, not excessive spending.  Would build for the future too I feel.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #21: Apr 24, 2010 04:11:00 am

That's the spirit!
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #22: Apr 24, 2010 10:51:43 am
      My suggestions

OUT:

Riera £6m
      Degen £2m
      Plessis (loan)
      N'Gog (loan)
      Skrtel (£8m)

IN:

Jovanovic (free) - close to a done deal anyway
      Bonnart (£8m - this might be a stretch for a few reasons, at 30/31 is slightly old but will hold up until Insua develops and can play RB equally as well)
      Turan (£15m) - 23, expressed a desire to come to Liverpool, might need an extra £5m to secure the deal
      Kjaer (£15m) - 21, expressed a desire to link up with Agger, hope he still feels that way even without CL football.
      Metzelder (free) - out of favour at Real, very experienced but might want too high wages.  Could also provide cover for Mascherano as an anchor man.  Untested there, but what do you guys think?

£30-35m odd, not excessive spending.  Would build for the future too I feel.

Is Metzelder out of contract this summer ?

Quick Reply