Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your man of the match

Alberto Aquilani
      (58.7%)
      Javier Mascherano
      (18.7%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (4%)
      Ryan Babel
      (1.3%)
      Yossi Benayoun
      (17.3%)

Liverpool 2-1 Atletico Madrid: Live match thread and post match frustration

Read 64631 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Liverpool 2-1 Atletico Madrid: Live match thread and post match frustration
      Reply #1150: Apr 30, 2010 01:10:20 am
      Well played, Liverpool FC tonight. Let's give it all for our last two Premier League games.

I should close the LFCReds forum page now. Need to get my head together, ;D. Night guys. Be good people.
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #1151: Apr 30, 2010 01:11:35 am
      Frustration is certainly to be expected, sleep it off fella's you will feel better tomorrow. The Reds will march on.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #1152: Apr 30, 2010 01:12:23 am
      Just back now from Anfield.

Before the game - fans fantastic.

First half - players and fans fantastic.

Second half and extra time - F***ing dismal.

The players looked shattered second half.  Had they been on a coach and train journey around Liverpool for the last two days?

I hope Fulham win the final.

As for Gerrard - I seriously doubt it's off-field issues now.  I think his legs have gone.  Honestly.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #1153: Apr 30, 2010 01:12:36 am
      First half - sound.

Second half and extra time, very disappointing. Add that to the poor display over in Spain and we certainly didn't deserve to go to a final.

There was a period in the second half where we were letting them grace around our half with the ball, unchallenged. Ludicrous for a semi final at Anfield!

I'm finding it hard to understand how some people are saying they feel our lads gave it their all tonight. I seen different in the latter stages of the game. And I don't want to start with Rafas subs.  
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #1154: Apr 30, 2010 01:14:03 am
      Some fans are so result oriented it's not funny. What about looking at the positives?  Like the fact we won the game, like the fact Babel has shown some real passion, Aquilani having many think what could have been. What about all those things?

The only negative thing for me is the fact Kuyt played upfront and really didn't offer much. Didn't bring anyone into the game and was pretty absent for most of it.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #1155: Apr 30, 2010 01:22:19 am
      Well I'm gona have w*nk with a cheese grater as its less painful than this season has been, night folks :)
      MickyMetal
      • Banned
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #1156: Apr 30, 2010 01:23:21 am
      Glenn Johnson was at fault for both of Atletico's goals.

We needed the heading ability of Kyrgiakos or Agger in that position - Johnson was way too casual.

I've had enough of people like that numpty Mickey Quinn on Talksport who always criticise our lower profile players on the bench while totally ignoring the constant sub-par performances of our well-paid and highly-valued players like Johnson who are actually making monumental mistakes in the field.

Quinn called Kyriakos "crap" and said "i'm not 'avin Degen" while they were on the bench before they even kicked a ball! He said nothing about Johnson's casual challenges that actually cost us the tie over the two legs. Quinn was creaming in his pants saying how good we were when we werre winning but then launches into a scathing attack on our substitute players and then on Benitez when we were going out.
      Fickle fans like Quinn who change their mind a hundred times during the course of a match and turn on our manager and our lower-profile players depending on the outcome of a result are not good for our club's camaraderie and should keep their pie-eating gobs shut... and he should not have a drink before going on air, he sounded p*ssed, giving us all a bad name the kunt...
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #1157: Apr 30, 2010 01:27:45 am
      ^ Fair point.  It's easy for some people to pick on the squad as a whole but

Gerrard
      Johnson
      Kuyt

All players heading to the World Cup - were all abysmal.  Totally below what is expected.

I agree that Babel did show a little bit of passion.  Unfortunately it doesn't make up entirely for the fact he is sh*t.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #1158: Apr 30, 2010 01:28:55 am
      Some fans are so result oriented it's not funny. What about looking at the positives?  Like the fact we won the game, like the fact Babel has shown some real passion, Aquilani having many think what could have been. What about all those things?

The only negative thing for me is the fact Kuyt played upfront and really didn't offer much. Didn't bring anyone into the game and was pretty absent for most of it.

Kuyt was sh*te. Again. How he gets in a football team so constantly is quite strange. The man deserves credit for all his graft, but when it comes to football - as was shown again tonight, he's simply not good enough.

As for your 'some fans are so result oriented' comment, that was a European semi final at Anfield tonight mate. And 45 minutes of decent football out of 210 minutes was not good enough from our lads.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1159: Apr 30, 2010 01:30:28 am
      Babel's attitude was good tonight, chasing lost causes, etc.

That one in the first half was a sign of how much his attitude seems to have improved, the defender was much closer to the ball and he was determined to make up the distance, got the it and I think we won a corner out of it. The commentator even said how good it was because of the fact it looked certain to be an A. Madrid ball. Still to show massive improvement in his play with the ball though, too many wayward crosses.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #1160: Apr 30, 2010 01:30:43 am
      45 minutes of decent football out of 210 minutes was not good enough from our lads.
      Nail, head and hit.
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #1161: Apr 30, 2010 01:35:19 am
      Well I for one thought the  XI played with passion and enthusiasm so leave it out would ya!  Stupid bloody away goals meant they edged it that's all.

Well in you reds!!!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1162: Apr 30, 2010 01:37:43 am
      Well I for one thought the  XI played with passion and enthusiasm so leave it out would ya! 

I agree, he did but so does Kuyt. Just because you play with passion and enthusiasm doesn't mean you played fantastic I'm afraid.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #1163: Apr 30, 2010 01:38:46 am
      Two highlights of the night:

1) Whole stadium stood up singing Fields Of Anfield Road after our second goal. Never seen it before. Beautiful.

2) Atletico fans chanting "Liverpool!" after the game. Lifted me a bit did that. Well in our friends from Madrid.
      5strs
      • Forum David Johnson

• 222 posts |
      Reply #1164: Apr 30, 2010 01:40:00 am
      Probably Liverpool's best game all season.Although Gerrard did disappear in the final third and ET ;)
      « Last Edit: Apr 30, 2010 01:46:29 am by 5strs »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #1165: Apr 30, 2010 01:44:35 am
      Probably Liverpool's best game all season.
      You forgot to throw the wink at the end of your post.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1166: Apr 30, 2010 01:47:12 am
      Our best game? No chance. Thats next week ;)
      winnie
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 108 posts |
      Reply #1167: Apr 30, 2010 02:03:59 am
      Congrats lads! Congrats to all of you watching this from the Anfield.

Congrats for singing Fields of Anfield Road so loud and so nice. Proud of you and proud to here it.

I was so happy when Aquilani scored. Congrats mate, you are Red 100%.

Congrats Benayoun and all of lads trying so hard to be in a final.

Whishing you 4th place in Premier League. Liverpool deserve it.

Best regards from Belgrade (Serbia)!
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1168: Apr 30, 2010 02:08:09 am
      Absolutely gutted and very depressed right now. Probably will be for the next 2 weeks.

A lot of tripe on the forum already and the naysayers and knee jerkers are back in full force.

I will say this though Yossi Benayoun well done son, what a performance MOTM by far.

And the final thing people having a pop at Gerrard again FFS??!! I though first half and every time we moved forward and created a dangerous looking opportunity he was at the thick of it. Ran his bollocks off to, it seems until he finds his Superman cape and starts popping goals out of his arse some people will still continue to question him.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Reply #1169: Apr 30, 2010 02:16:31 am
      Lots of mixed feelings on here tonight. I thought we played well for 65 mins. Then we gave them too much space and they passed around us a bit. I think they played for the fact we might get straight at them from the start and tire later on. That's just what happened. They just didn't expect  us to go 2 goals up. We were pretty poor the later stages and couldn't keep the ball. I supose the lads done their best, just wasn't good enough. Our main problem now, is trying to attract top quality players due to the current state of things, so we're unlikely to improve to much in the near future.  Sorry state really, story of our season. Just have to keep on fighting. It's not a bad season considering we've only 4 proven prem quality players in the squad and the most vital one being injured most of the time. Just have to be realistic. So pissed off, thought we were gong to a final.
      asparagus
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts | -8 
      Reply #1170: Apr 30, 2010 02:19:43 am
      At 2-0 thought we had it. Those late subs were awful. Taking Masch off you must be joking Rafa! taxi for benitez, what you have sold sums up our season, have a look at our bench and it tells it all, I hope Juventus comes to Liverpools rescue and take him. bye bye Benitez.
      « Last Edit: Apr 30, 2010 12:11:02 pm by Venison 86, Reason: Txt Spk removed »
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #1171: Apr 30, 2010 02:21:34 am
      At 2-0 thought we had it. Those late subs were awful. Taking Masch off- you must be joking Rafa!taxi for benitez, what u have sold sums up our season, have a look at our bench and it tells it all, I hope juventus comes to liverpools rescue and take him. bye bye benitez.

Whopper post of the year.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #1172: Apr 30, 2010 02:25:41 am

Read his others. There's a few there.

Quick Reply