Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 10th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

Carragher in International U-Turn shocker

Read 7772 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Carragher in International U-Turn shocker
      Reply #69: May 11, 2010 03:20:22 pm
      Looks like Carra may be getting a nice South African Tan! Good luck for the final Cut!
      muck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,168 posts |
      Reply #70: May 11, 2010 03:35:40 pm
      Looks like Carra may be getting a nice South African Tan! Good luck for the final Cut!

don't think he would have returned without being guaranteed a place in the final squad so
      I would take it he is on the way.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #71: May 11, 2010 04:15:47 pm
      The manager doesn't bug you to come out of retirement just to cut you from when he makes the list of 23  :f_tongueincheek:

I think like a lot of the older player seem to come out of retirement when the big competition comes around.
      y2kyle16
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 666 posts | -7 
      Reply #72: May 11, 2010 04:17:58 pm
      so if he isnt going as a FIRST CHOICE - why bother going? he said he retired due to lack of chances???!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #73: May 11, 2010 04:33:21 pm
      so if he isnt going as a FIRST CHOICE - why bother going? he said he retired due to lack of chances???!
      I have no idea what his motivations are?

The only sensible and realistic conclusion I can come to is that he is putting himself in the shop window.

After listening to his lengthy debating about why he was retiring and the strength of his convictions I am genuinely surprised by this even though I suggested it was on the cards.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #74: May 11, 2010 05:10:23 pm
      Carra: Why I've done this
      11th May 2010 - Latest News

Jamie Carragher has explained his decision to come out of international retirement.

Our No.23 has been named in Fabio Capello's provisional 30-man squad for the World Cup three years after retiring from international duty.

Carragher is almost certain to make the final 23-man selection for the trip to South Africa.

"The FA got in touch and asked if I would have a rethink, due to injury problems. I said I would make myself available," said the 32-year-old.

"The World Cup and Champions League are the highest levels of football.

"I'm not getting any younger, we have no Champions League football next season and I am keen to work under Fabio Capello."

www.liverpoolfc.tv
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #75: May 11, 2010 05:38:55 pm
      I love that the FA have begged him to come back
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #76: May 11, 2010 05:41:58 pm
      Made up for Carra. Deserves his chance on the international stage again.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,201 posts | 3391 
      Reply #77: May 11, 2010 05:44:16 pm
      I reckon Nando had a word asking Carra to come out of retirement. Spain may need an own goal or two. ;)

Seriously don't see why Carra has done this.

He still won't be first choice.
      He'll still be asked to cover the full backs.
      He'll still more than likely be behind King in the pecking order.

The 3 reasons he retired in the first place.

And if he thinks he's gonna get a World Cup winners medal, then he better start toning up his Scouse thieving skills cos England ain't winning the World Cup. With the squad they've picked they'll be lucky to make it past the group stage.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #78: May 11, 2010 05:56:46 pm
      I can understand why Carra has done this ,any sportsman whether he plays tiddlywinks or football ,if he is given the opportunity to play in the top competition in his sport at the age of 32? then he has to take part surely ? imagine if you had a youngster who asked ...weren't you good enough to play for  England in the world cup in 2010 dad? what could you say that didn't sound like a get-out ,i'm behind Carra all the way and i hope he does himself,his family and his club justice
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Reply #79: May 11, 2010 06:31:47 pm
      Carra explains return
      Defender looking forward to working under Capello
      Last updated: 11th May 2010  

Carragher: Included in 30-man squad

Liverpool defender Carragher has been named in Fabio Capello's provisional 30-man squad for the World Cup three years after retiring from international duty.

Carragher is widely expected to make the final 23-man selection for the trip to South Africa and the 32-year-old is keen to work under Capello.

"The FA got in touch a few weeks ago and asked if I would have a rethink, due to injury problems. I said I would make myself available," said Carragher.

"The World Cup and Champions League are the highest levels of football.

"I'm not getting any younger, we have no Champions League football next season and I am keen to work under Fabio Capello."
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #80: May 11, 2010 06:45:58 pm
      Seriously don't see why Carra has done this.
      Simple answer...

LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #81: May 11, 2010 06:48:45 pm
      Sky Sports News - "Carragher makes the England squad but there will be no place for Hagrevees or Neville". Typical manc love'n tw*ts  :roll:

dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,201 posts | 3391 
      Reply #82: May 11, 2010 06:53:21 pm
      So Carra goes the World Cup because we have no Champions League football? What kind of F***ing bollocks is that. That makes no sense.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #83: May 11, 2010 06:56:40 pm
      It does really. We were doing well so he was happy to give up any chance of playing for England so he could concentrate on playing for Liverpool. Now things aren't going so well and we're not going to be in the biggest competition next year, he knows he's getting too old to think, 'oh well, maybe next year'. Playing for England could be his last chance to play in a major competition and he knows it.

I'm happy for him but it could easily be spun as a humiliating climbdown.   
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #84: May 11, 2010 06:58:30 pm
      I'm delighted for the lad, it's obvious he wouldn't have come out of retirement to sit on the bench for the tournament, obviously there is a good chance he is going to play.

I'm actually looking forward to watching himself and the other Liverpool players at the world cup.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,201 posts | 3391 
      Reply #85: May 11, 2010 07:03:03 pm
      It does really. We were doing well so he was happy to give up any chance of playing for England so he could concentrate on playing for Liverpool. Now things aren't going so well and we're not going to be in the biggest competition next year, he knows he's getting too old to think, 'oh well, maybe next year'. Playing for England could be his last chance to play in a major competition and he knows it.

I'm happy for him but it could easily be spun as a humiliating climbdown.   

I don't want to worry you, Carra or anybody else but erm Liverpool Football Club will next year be taking part in four competitions. Four competitions in which we need Jamie Carragher concentrating on Liverpool Football Club.

Just because it's not the F***ing limelight of the Champions League, all of a sudden it's a change of heart and being England's understudy suits him again? Bollocks.

I'm not doubting Carragher's commitment to Liverpool, that I'd never do. But his reasoning for going back on his word and rejoining the England set up is a load of sh*te. Not his or anybody else's decisions should rest on our club being in Europe's elite competition or not. Basically what he's already saying is he couldn't give two fucks about next year's Europa League.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #86: May 11, 2010 07:06:16 pm
      Jamie Carragher should get a 100% backing from Liverpool fans because he has given nothing but 100% for the club and will give nothing but 100% next season either.

Maybe he doesn't give a sh*t about the Europa League next season but you won't see that in his play. The Europa League is a micky mouse competition for teams not good enough for the elite european competition.
      Jaguar909
      • Banned

• 66 posts | -13 
      • Respect is earned , not given
      Reply #87: May 11, 2010 07:12:52 pm
      It will be a nice holiday out with the england boys in SA though wont it, all the limelight and i cant really blame him for wanting to go, ask the question to yourself in his shoes, and would you go, you'de be stupid not to.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #88: May 11, 2010 07:15:44 pm
      I don't want to worry you, Carra or anybody else but erm Liverpool Football Club will next year be taking part in four competitions. Four competitions in which we need Jamie Carragher concentrating on Liverpool Football Club.

Just because it's not the F***ing limelight of the Champions League, all of a sudden it's a change of heart and being England's understudy suits him again? Bollocks.

I'm not doubting Carragher's commitment to Liverpool, that I'd never do. But his reasoning for going back on his word and rejoining the England set up is a load of sh*te. Not his or anybody else's decisions should rest on our club being in Europe's elite competition or not. Basically what he's already saying is he couldn't give two fucks about next year's Europa League.
      Is it not possible that Rafa has intimated he may no longer be the first name on the teamsheet? Or maybe Carra has just made that assumption himself?
      I'm not saying he doesn't give a F**k about the Europa but given the choice between that and maybe playing a part in the World Cup that only comes around every 4 years, it seems he's decided.
      If people are right in saying that he'll just be an unused sub most of the time, maybe it won't be such a drain on him anyway.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,201 posts | 3391 
      Reply #89: May 11, 2010 07:20:39 pm
      Is it not possible that Rafa has intimated he may no longer be the first name on the teamsheet? Or maybe Carra has just made that assumption himself?
      I'm not saying he doesn't give a F**k about the Europa but given the choice between that and maybe playing a part in the World Cup that only comes around every 4 years, it seems he's decided.
      If people are right in saying that he'll just be an unused sub most of the time, maybe it won't be such a drain on him anyway.

It'll be more of a drain because that's why he retired in the first place. Why come out of retirement to do exactly what he retired over in the first place? It's F***ing mind boggling.

Yeah the World Cup is what every player wants to play in. Problem is, Carragher won't be playing. So he's come out of retirement to erm. Sit on the bench, remain cover for the full backs and stay behind Ledley King in the pecking order. Isn't that why he retired in the first place?

And it's a certainty that Carragher will remain the first name on the team sheet next year. No manager has the bottle to drop Carragher or Gerrard from our starting XI because they're seen as the "club".
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #90: May 11, 2010 07:26:03 pm
      good luck to you mate but I'm surprised.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #91: May 11, 2010 07:40:10 pm
      It is the pinnacle of any players career a world cup, the europa league isn't. Carragher would have been insane if he turned this down.

The world cup is going to be draining for all our players this is hardly an excuse for Jamie not going. I wish him all the best and hope he has a good tournament. Who won the UEFA or the fairs cup as it was called in 1966 who gives a F**k.

Quick Reply