Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Premier League going downhill?

Read 5082 times
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Premier League going downhill?
      Jun 23, 2010 09:23:10 pm
      I'm slightly worried that watching the PL over the next few years will not be the same. What I'm saying is all the top players are leaving for Spain,Italy etc. If Torres,Gerrard,Masch and Fabregas to start with leave this summer, Next season will be a bit lacking in world class players.

Why is it happening? It must be the tax rates or something.

LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Re: Premier League going downhill?
      Reply #1: Jun 23, 2010 09:38:08 pm
      Good. More English players, less tourists, better overall football experience.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #2: Jun 24, 2010 08:33:20 am

Maybe some proper tackles as well.
      Lethal Legacy
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts |
      Reply #3: Jun 24, 2010 08:38:46 am
      ^ Fair Play
      Its mostly the Foreigners Diving.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #4: Jun 24, 2010 08:41:38 am
      Bit of an overreaction for me. Leagues ebb and flow a little I think over the years. The big attraction at the moment seems to be either Barca or Madrid, so players are looking there. But end of the day, those two teams are the only ones really pulling any of the huge stars  - and they can only field 11 each still, so it's not like there won't be any players still wanting to come to England.

It'll be just fine. May even improve it if players come to England truly wanting to play there, rather than just feed their ego's because it's the "in" thing.
      jake15919
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 359 posts | 14 
      • Something, something, something, the dark side.
      Reply #5: Jun 24, 2010 10:41:06 am
      There wont be fewer foreign players, they will just be cheaper and of a lower quality.
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #6: Jun 24, 2010 01:35:12 pm
      How can the PL be going down? Clubs like Man City and Spurs have improved drastically, where in Spain it's allmost impossible for other teams like Valencia or Sevilla to finish 2nd.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #7: Jun 24, 2010 03:11:22 pm
      All I'm saying is that none of the foreign stars want to play here by the looks of it. Kaka turned down City, Ronaldo did a runner,Villa said no and I cant see Messi playing here anytime soon. That's just to name a few. Not many superstars left and there is certainly not much British talent about.

I just hope it doesn't end up like the Italian league where nearly all the players there played for at least 3 Italian clubs. That league is like a f**king Brothel. They say 75% of the league players are Italian and you'd think they would have a decent International side.

Don't get me wrong if we had an all Scouse squad full of quality I'd be happy as Larry but that's just dreamland.

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #8: Jun 24, 2010 03:23:54 pm

:lmao: better football experience... Really mate I think you've got the England World Cup fever. Losing the top foreign stars would damage the Premier League greatly in terms of the levels of football played... Fact
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #9: Jun 24, 2010 04:04:32 pm
      All I'm saying is that none of the foreign stars want to play here by the looks of it. Kaka turned down City, Ronaldo did a runner,Villa said no and I cant see Messi playing here anytime soon. That's just to name a few. Not many superstars left and there is certainly not much British talent about.

I just hope it doesn't end up like the Italian league where nearly all the players there played for at least 3 Italian clubs. That league is like a f**king Brothel. They say 75% of the league players are Italian and you'd think they would have a decent International side.

Don't get me wrong if we had an all Scouse squad full of quality I'd be happy as Larry but that's just dreamland.
      The EPL continues to be the biggest league in the world by far when it comes to income, and that's not changing, so nothing to be worried about. Money attracts good players.

Many of the players you mentioned have a Spanish or South American background, they have always been and will continue to be more attracted to the SPL than the EPL for quite obvious reasons.
      « Last Edit: Jun 24, 2010 04:10:17 pm by Dexter »
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #10: Jun 24, 2010 04:12:28 pm
      Many of the players you mentioned have a Spanish or South American background, they have always been and will continue to be more attracted to the SPL than the EPL for quite obvious reasons.

Didn't know Messi wanted to play for Kilmarnock or Gretna ;)
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #11: Jun 24, 2010 04:18:11 pm
       :roll: obviously I meant the spanish premier League.
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #12: Jun 24, 2010 04:30:28 pm
      English clubs have to start to dominate in Europe again, and the top players will start moving to the EPL again. Clubs like Chelsea and Man Utd allready have great reputation in the whole world, and if they would win the CL, most of the players would want to move to England.

And the EPL has a boss top 7. 2 or 3 teams capable of reaching the semifinals  in the CL and the others can dominate the EL or at least reach the quarterfinals of the CL. that pisses over Italy and Spain.

If Man Utd get rid of Ferguson and get a good manager in who is good at transfers, Chelsea start performing in the CL and we get new owners, English clubs would again start to dominate in Europe and the world.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #13: Jun 24, 2010 06:43:08 pm
      ^^^^

English clubs are already dominating the European Cup

05 - Liverpool v Milan
      06 - Arsenal v Barcelona
      07 - Liverpool v Milan
      08 - Man United v Chelsea
      09 - Man United v Barcelona
      10 - Bayern Munich - Inter Milan

An English club has been in every European Cup final, bar last season's, for the last six years. With an English club coming out on top apart from in the two encounters with Barcelona - possibly the finest club in the world over the past few years. (with the exception of Liverpool of course)

As for the Premiership going downhill, well it is.

When you've got clubs like Leeds, Notts Forest, Southampton, Sheff Wed in the lower leagues but have Wigan, Blackpool, Bolton, Fulham in the top flight you know somethings not quite right.

Will big players wanna leave? Probably. Ronaldo couldn't wait to piss off, Alonso gone, Henry. All got attracted to the flashy life of Spain's bigger clubs. And it won't be long before a few others are heading over to La Liga either.

Because of Madrid's money and Barcelona's almost faultless "total football" style, Spain quite rightly can attract world stars. The Premiership still can, but I doubt the top, top quality of players will be chomping at the bit to join this division. As Kenny pointed out in the opening post, the likes of Kaka and Villa swerved the Prem.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #14: Jun 24, 2010 06:52:24 pm
      :lmao: better football experience... Really mate I think you've got the England World Cup fever. Losing the top foreign stars would damage the Premier League greatly in terms of the levels of football played... Fact

Im talking about in a sense of actually GOING to watch the games.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #15: Jun 24, 2010 07:38:37 pm
      I don't get what you mean... Better players means more chance of a better spectacle
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #16: Jun 24, 2010 07:44:42 pm
      I don't get what you mean... Better players means more chance of a better spectacle

Less tourists coming to take pictures, less plastic fans, more real fans, purer experience for the real supporters.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #17: Jun 24, 2010 07:46:38 pm

Kaka turned down City? Speaks for itself that ;)

Ronaldo doing a runner? No, he always had the desire to fulfill his ego by playing at Madrid. Was inevitable. Surprised he stayed one more season if im honest.

Villa would have come if the right club had made the right offer, i think *cough Liverpool*. But his heart was always Spain and some players simply do not have as much desire to play overseas, can't be helped.

Messi you really cannot use as an example. He's come up in the Barca youth system and become the best player in the world, and is still only young. While Barca has money and ambition, he won't move. Would be the same with a player in England.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #18: Jun 24, 2010 07:50:11 pm
      Less tourists coming to take pictures, less plastic fans, more real fans, purer experience for the real supporters.

But... How do the players make plastic fans appear. I mean sure you got City fans, but the ones who go and buy the tickets are the real fans normally, no crowd will have more plastics than pures... Unless it's Old Trafford where half the people are there for business and the other half are the travelling supporters

Is this not about the foreign players playing in the Premiership, or have I got this all wrong :laugh:
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #19: Jun 24, 2010 08:10:03 pm
      If we would of won the league last season or had a good run in all competitions, I'm sure that Villa wouldn't mind joining us.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #20: Jun 25, 2010 02:12:52 am
      I'm slightly worried that watching the PL over the next few years will not be the same. What I'm saying is all the top players are leaving for Spain,Italy etc. If Torres,Gerrard,Masch and Fabregas to start with leave this summer, Next season will be a bit lacking in world class players

I don't know, for every star that leaves England i doubt it will be long before Man City bring another one here.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #21: Jun 25, 2010 04:11:55 am
      I guess it pretty much depends on who bids for who. Doubt any world class player would want to join Man City or Spurs, whether they are in Europe or not, unless of course, money matters most to them. I'm sure if a club like us, Arsenal, Chelsea or Man United come knocking, it would be totally different, as we have seen when Real Madrid and Barcelona come knocking.

Kaka turned down City? Speaks for itself that ;)

Ronaldo doing a runner? No, he always had the desire to fulfill his ego by playing at Madrid. Was inevitable. Surprised he stayed one more season if im honest.

Villa would have come if the right club had made the right offer, I think *cough Liverpool*. But his heart was always Spain and some players simply do not have as much desire to play overseas, can't be helped.

Messi you really cannot use as an example. He's come up in the Barca youth system and become the best player in the world, and is still only young. While Barca has money and ambition, he won't move. Would be the same with a player in England.

Is right.

And wasn't it Ronaldo's mom's dream to see her son play for Real Madrid?

I highly doubt Messi will ever leave Barcelona. They've done so much for him and he probably just feels he owes them alot for making the player he is today and paying for his medical bill when he was younger.
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #22: Jun 25, 2010 09:55:18 am
      I highly doubt Messi will ever leave Barcelona. They've done so much for him and he probably just feels he owes them alot for making the player he is today.
      If only a certain Steven would think the same...

Quick Reply