Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Argentina 0 - 4 Germany

Read 9281 times
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Re: Argentina 0 - 4 Germany
      Reply #69: Jul 03, 2010 07:15:47 pm
      What a fantastic game. Read through the whole thread and all of us were dead wrong with our predictions.

Germany is the best tactical team in the World Cup. Initially ridiculed for bringing the youngest squad to South Africa. Their team actually already has the look of champions for me. They're the best team by a mile in the tournament based on form. Way better than Holland, Spain etc. They know exactly how their opponents are going to play (62 undergrad anaylsts have already been plotting their downfall for months). And the way they play football is just simple, and efficient. Straight and direct to the point. Defence was an absolute wall, up front they were lethal.

They play football so simply, but as Hodgson described it simplicity is the most difficult thing to achieve. Their defence rock solid, Tevez, Higuain and Messi were nowhere near beating Neuer. As much as Mertesacker and Friedrich ain't world-class defenders, they stood up when they were counted. It was a fantastic collective effort from the whole team.

I think we really need a few German players at Anfield. Germans are known for their hardworking nature and great discipline, and a really never say die attitude. Players like Podolski and Klose who rotted on Bayern's bench proved they were really top class. The rest, after the England game and today, we're probably not going to afford them.

I really want Klose. I think he just might be the right choice for us. He's 32, we can get him on just a few million quid. He's scored 51 goals in 100 caps for Germany. Who cares he's garbage at Bayern, I believe as long as you have the quality you will succeed. We can harness his potential and push him to the limit so that he'll do well for us. It's ludricous to say that he isn't a good player just cause he doesn't perform at club level.

As long as you're good, you're good.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #70: Jul 03, 2010 07:37:44 pm
      There's four elements to successful football.  First is fitness, it determines what you can do and for how long you can do it.  Second is mental strength, if you're not confident, composed or if your attitude stinks - forget about it.  Third is tactical and situational awareness, there's a good chance your manager is a tactical genius, do exactly what he tells you and occasionally have the presence of mind to make a split second judgment.  Lastly and least importantly is your technical ability, your passing and heading etc.  There's a good chance you'll drill passing so often in training that you will inevitably become good at it.  Now what the Germans lack in technical ability (relative to other teams) they more than make up for by having excess of the first three.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #71: Jul 03, 2010 08:59:24 pm
      Oh. My. God.

I thought the guy who i asked for the score was just bullshitting :o
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #72: Jul 03, 2010 10:43:20 pm
      I think the German performance today was as close to perfect, total Football as any team could play.  They were perfect.  Every pass was spot on. The goals were textbook.

Argentina were outclassed,outplayed and out coached from the first second to the final whistle. They attacked with precision and just out ran the defense at every chance. 

I am honestly blown away at how good that German team is. I never would of thought Argentina would give up 4 goals. Some of the commentators here in the US were saying that Argentina were complete sh*t today etc,etc.... I disagree. Argentina played Germany the same way they played the whole tournament. Its just Germany were able to pick them apart and take advantage of Argentinas weak defense.  Argentina's tactics were good when playing lesser squads, but Germany just played wide open and took apart Argentina's defense. Which wasn't that good to begin with. Argentina were all strikers and offense and couldn't match up.

I feel bad for Maradonna.  I actually like Maradonna and think hes a good coach for them. I think he may of been in a bit deep at coaching the national team in the WC. But, they played great the whole tournament and for a team that almost missed out on qualifying, they did an OK job. Maradonna could be a bit of a dick but he loves the game, he loves his country, he loves his players and would go to war for them. After the match he went out congratulated the German players, he hugged his own players, he was consoling Maxi Rodriguez who was really upset, he even hugged and consoled Messi. I think he's a class guy and I dont understand all the hate towards him.

niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #73: Jul 03, 2010 10:46:13 pm
      Germany we're amazing totally dominating and completely outclassed Argentina , but to see Maxi cry made me so sad , even though I wasn't on any side , it was heartbreaking to see Maxi and the rest of the Argies so sad .
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #74: Jul 03, 2010 10:51:46 pm
      That was a footballing masterclass from the second youngest team in the tournament.
      The Argies had the talent but Maradona set them out wrong and got punished from the off.
      Thought he might have changed things for the second half to tighten them up and prevent the Germans from passing through them so easily. Mascherano shouldn't have been expected to cover the back line on his own and the Germans exposed this unmercifully.

What a game. Would have loved the Argentinians to go out with 4-2-3-1 with

Higuain

Tevez      Aguero      Messi

but that wasn't to be and the German's positional play and quick passing was a joy to watch.
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #75: Jul 03, 2010 11:35:59 pm
      Germany are strong everywhere I can't wait for the game against Spain.

I think Germany will win though to be honest.

Germany research the game like no tomorrow.

I have noticed that if Spain haven't scored by the 60th they start to look to Villa for some magic.
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #76: Jul 03, 2010 11:41:14 pm
      I have noticed that if Spain haven't scored by the 60th they start to look to Villa for some magic.

Spain always play a useless striker, that number 9, until the 60th minutes, that's why they cannot score a goal before then.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be harsh to Torres, but he is out of sort and he just doesn't belong to this Spain team. Nobody give him any ball to run to and he makes the team doesn't function because they have to accomodate him and Villa.

Villa is always put on the left but that weaken the left midfield and then Iniesta is put on the right, where Pedro should be more comfortable there.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #77: Jul 04, 2010 01:30:25 am
      If Germany play like this again, and Spain don't kick in to gear, I fear a mauling like Argentina received.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #78: Jul 04, 2010 01:41:36 am
      Spain always play a useless striker, that number 9, until the 60th minutes, that's why they cannot score a goal before then.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be harsh to Torres, but he is out of sort and he just doesn't belong to this Spain team. Nobody give him any ball to run to and he makes the team doesn't function because they have to accomodate him and Villa.

Villa is always put on the left but that weaken the left midfield and then Iniesta is put on the right, where Pedro should be more comfortable there.
      Torres might be having an off tournament but too call him "Useless"....Cmon.  Don't forget he's coming off 2 knee surgeries and rehab. I agree he's not scoring goals, but his passes up front to Villa and Iniesta were key in some of those goals. He is still one of the best players in the world. Not too mention the ungodly amount of beautiful, multi goal games he had for Liverpool this season. He is a top 10 World Class player. Enough said.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #79: Jul 04, 2010 02:00:57 am
      I feel bad for Maradonna.  I actually like Maradonna and think hes a good coach for them. I think he may of been in a bit deep at coaching the national team in the WC. But, they played great the whole tournament and for a team that almost missed out on qualifying, they did an OK job. Maradonna could be a bit of a dick but he loves the game, he loves his country, he loves his players and would go to war for them. After the match he went out congratulated the German players, he hugged his own players, he was consoling Maxi Rodriguez who was really upset, he even hugged and consoled Messi. I think he's a class guy and I dont understand all the hate towards him.

They almost missed out on qualifying under Maradona, wasnt it! And just look at the quality he has in the team, but still finished under Chile and Paraguay. He even lost 6-1 to Bolivia, which was probably the worst result ever for Argentine football, alongside the 5-1 to Colombia in 93 or 94.

They didn't play great football during the tournament, as I said they only beat Nigeria by one goal and that should of been disallowed cause there was a foul in the defender. Then South Korea, in which they were having a hard time untill Higuain scored an offside goal. Argentina scored their best team goal (great passing and understanding between the players) when it was already 3x1, and by then the Koreans had totally given up the game - I mean, the 4th goal was brilliant but most of the others werent (besides Tevez great shot vs Mexico).

In the round of 16, they were being outplayed by Mexico too, till they scored an offside goal. Then the Mexicans couldnt cope with so much pressure and it happened that one defender made a terrible mistake and just gave them a 2nd goal. But it wasnt a great performance either. I honestly think people just over-reacted cause they had so much talent going forward, but it doesnt mean they were actually being great. Even in attack, where they have so much talent, they don't have a concrete system either. Messi just gets the ball and tries to run past as many players as he can. The others just wait for a chance.

Their defence is a joke and that's all up to him. He didn't even call Zannetti and Cambiasso, both top players in great form, and only played one defensive midfielder in front of a terribly weak back four. I was really anxious to see them finally facing a good attack cause I expected them to suffer really bad, and that's exactly what happened.

Obviously I can't deny Maradona passion for the sport, his country, his club (he's always at La Bombonera supporting Boca), etc. That's one of the things I admire about him. But look at his press conferences, speaking a lot of bullshit about many other people who didnt have anything to do with it. He's such an attention whore.

As for sportsmanship, what about the hand of God? Well, I don't actually think it's enough reason to hate him, to be honest I find it quite funny. Players are not priests. But then again, a few years ago Maradona admitted in a TV show that the Argentines put tranquilizers in the water and gave them to Brazilian players during the WC 90 game between these countries. He told the story in laughs. Players are not priests but that's going way too far, absolutely disgraceful. Cheating at it's worst.
      Elrozzo1
      • Forum Phil Thompson
      • Started Topic

• 480 posts |
      • ElroyRosenberg hit me up on Twitter
      Reply #80: Jul 04, 2010 02:16:05 am

I think that this ^ ^ ^ would be more like a 4 - 2 ARGENTINA upset Elrozzo.  :-\

I do think there'll be a clatter of goals tho'.  ;)

Ahahahaha I knew I stuffed that up. :P
      Elrozzo1
      • Forum Phil Thompson
      • Started Topic

• 480 posts |
      Reply #81: Jul 04, 2010 02:17:22 am
      Germany will go on to win; I bet you all. And Ozil will get player of the tournament.
      ozgooner
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 697 posts |
      • P-38 W-26 D-12 L-0 'Victoria Concordia Crescit'
      Reply #82: Jul 04, 2010 02:46:27 am
      At least we'll be spared the "Maradona nudie run" ;)
      Elrozzo1
      • Forum Phil Thompson
      • Started Topic

• 480 posts |
      Reply #83: Jul 04, 2010 03:00:59 am
      At least we'll be spared the "Maradona nudie run" ;)

Hahahaha ;)
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #84: Jul 04, 2010 03:01:37 am
      If Germany play like this again, and Spain don't kick in to gear, I fear a mauling like Argentina received.
      Agree big time. Every tournament we look at the possible winners and when we see Germany we normally say " Nah not good enough " but for some reason they seem to perform out of their skins. I cant see past them now, they really are flying at the moment and I wouldn't be surprised if they hammered Spain.

Argentina were found out as some were saying as soon as they met a proper side, Germany are more than a proper side.
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #85: Jul 04, 2010 05:21:19 am
      M<artk my words. spain will go the way of Argentina based on WC performance tot his point.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #86: Jul 04, 2010 05:39:35 am
      I still like the Dutch.

The only problem I see is if Germany wins.   We all know what happens when the Germans start feeling good about themselves......I think its time for the French to start laying down speed bumps on their roads to stop "Der Panzers".
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #87: Jul 04, 2010 06:25:19 am

There's something different about this Spain side under del Bosque. They keep the ball well and pass alot but I feel they lack the penetration they had under Aragones.
      Elrozzo1
      • Forum Phil Thompson
      • Started Topic

• 480 posts |
      Reply #88: Jul 04, 2010 11:32:08 am
      There's something different about this Spain side under del Bosque. They keep the ball well and pass alot but I feel they lack the penetration they had under Aragones.

Well there is one thing they will both have in common soon.

Both coaches would have failed to win the World Cup.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #89: Jul 04, 2010 02:21:28 pm
      They almost missed out on qualifying under Maradona, wasnt it! And just look at the quality he has in the team, but still finished under Chile and Paraguay. He even lost 6-1 to Bolivia, which was probably the worst result ever for Argentine football, alongside the 5-1 to Colombia in 93 or 94.

They didn't play great football during the tournament, as I said they only beat Nigeria by one goal and that should of been disallowed cause there was a foul in the defender. Then South Korea, in which they were having a hard time untill Higuain scored an offside goal. Argentina scored their best team goal (great passing and understanding between the players) when it was already 3x1, and by then the Koreans had totally given up the game - I mean, the 4th goal was brilliant but most of the others werent (besides Tevez great shot vs Mexico).

In the round of 16, they were being outplayed by Mexico too, till they scored an offside goal. Then the Mexicans couldnt cope with so much pressure and it happened that one defender made a terrible mistake and just gave them a 2nd goal. But it wasnt a great performance either. I honestly think people just over-reacted cause they had so much talent going forward, but it doesnt mean they were actually being great. Even in attack, where they have so much talent, they don't have a concrete system either. Messi just gets the ball and tries to run past as many players as he can. The others just wait for a chance.

Their defence is a joke and that's all up to him. He didn't even call Zannetti and Cambiasso, both top players in great form, and only played one defensive midfielder in front of a terribly weak back four. I was really anxious to see them finally facing a good attack cause I expected them to suffer really bad, and that's exactly what happened.

Obviously I can't deny Maradona passion for the sport, his country, his club (he's always at La Bombonera supporting Boca), etc. That's one of the things I admire about him. But look at his press conferences, speaking a lot of bullshit about many other people who didnt have anything to do with it. He's such an attention whore.

As for sportsmanship, what about the hand of God? Well, I don't actually think it's enough reason to hate him, to be honest I find it quite funny. Players are not priests. But then again, a few years ago Maradona admitted in a TV show that the Argentines put tranquilizers in the water and gave them to Brazilian players during the WC 90 game between these countries. He told the story in laughs. Players are not priests but that's going way too far, absolutely disgraceful. Cheating at it's worst.
      Understand your hatred for the guy Diego, him being an Argentinian. :D ;)
      I don't agree with you at all that their play hasn't been impressive. Have to disagree there.
      It may not be the best, but they have certainly entertained.
      I think after Germany they have been the second best team in the tournament.

Their defense was always going to be their weak point. But I felt Maradona didn't make full use of their attacking power either. Aguero was grossly under-used. :-\

In the end it was bad luck that they ended up meeting the best team in the tournament. ;)
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #90: Jul 05, 2010 12:33:46 pm
      Maradona ruined the team. They lacked a proper creative midfield. The team had 5 defensive players and 5 attacking players, nothing inbetween.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #91: Jul 05, 2010 06:35:32 pm
      Understand your hatred for the guy Diego, him being an Argentinian. :D ;)
      I don't agree with you at all that their play hasn't been impressive. Have to disagree there.
      It may not be the best, but they have certainly entertained.
      I think after Germany they have been the second best team in the tournament.

Their defense was always going to be their weak point. But I felt Maradona didn't make full use of their attacking power either. Aguero was grossly under-used. :-\

In the end it was bad luck that they ended up meeting the best team in the tournament. ;)

They entertained because it's rare to see such a kamikaze team. They never played that great though, none of the games were classy performances. Not even in attack, as you said, cause they never had a proper system. Just shows how crap Maradona is as a coach. Not only in the World Cup, cause if they struggled to qualify, it was his fault too.

Argentina 6-0 Serbia in the WC 2006 was so much better than anything by this 2010 team. And they didn't have Messi at his best and so much attacking talent like they have today. But they did have a real team back then and scored a team goal which was probably the best in this World Cup.

Argentina Vs Serbia and Montenegro

The player who scored the goal, possibly the best defensive midfielder in the world, is still in great form and wasn't even called to the squad. In the end of the video you see Maradona in the stands, I must say he looks much better there, cause celebrating and acting is exactly what he's doing in the dug out, but in that position I'd expect a little bit more from him.

2nd best team in the tournament? That's exactly what I've been saying about how people overreact cause of the talent in their squad. Any crappy win becomes amazing cause they play Tevez-Higuain-Messi. But if you look at their games and how they happened, you see there's nothing spetacular about them.
      « Last Edit: Jul 05, 2010 06:43:15 pm by Diego LFC »

Quick Reply