Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

Films That Affected You

Read 13456 times
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Re: Films That Affected You
      Reply #69: Jul 14, 2010 02:50:38 am
      Actually meant to post that in 'The Best Film' thread, but I guess it suits here just fine too :P It started coming out this week Ross, should be out thursday in the UK, next week here in Holland.
      ozgooner
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 697 posts |
      • P-38 W-26 D-12 L-0 'Victoria Concordia Crescit'
      Reply #70: Jul 14, 2010 02:52:57 am
      Anyone seen Inception yet? New movie by Nolan, director of Memento, Prestige, Dark Knight etc. It's getting rave reviews. It has a 9.6 rating on imdb, higher than any movie out there. Really interested in hearing if it's really that good, it does seem like a really amazing and epic movie.

Yeah mate , it looks to be a top fillum . Will be watchin it for sure ;)
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #71: Jul 14, 2010 10:55:10 am
      Saw Avatar 3D, and then was surprised that The Hurt Locker swept the board at the Oscars.

Until I saw it.

Katherine Bigelow is brilliant - Point Break being a case in point ;) where she took a pretty ordinary cops and robbers film and turned it into something a bit more special.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #72: Jul 14, 2010 01:34:38 pm
      A lot of you saying Saving Private Ryan and I'd have to agree. However, it still pains me to this day that the film was spoilt by that horrible ending. (When he salutes standing in the graveyard). I'm not sure I've ever cringed so badly.

Can't agree, I'm afraid.

Whilst I can only speak from what I've seen in films and my interpretations, I think that the horrors of war create a singular bond between the men that fought in them.

To have suffered so much, seen so much pain and felt terror beyond what we could ever imagine made these men often closer than brothers.

To then have survived and visited the graves of these friends lost must be terribly moving - "survivor guilt" is common for those who made it home - and I don't think it is over the top that the character would cry or salute the graves.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #73: Jul 14, 2010 01:59:43 pm
      Perhaps it was the way it was done/shot ayrton. Quite a few people I know have said the same thing.

However, I can definitely see what you're saying.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,493 posts | 8676 
      Reply #74: Jul 14, 2010 04:00:34 pm
      Braveheart - the scene were they are torturing William Wallace, I know it's not totally historical fact, but in a small way it shows what a b***ard nation the English were like at times.

Same goes for the likes of Soldier Blue, showing the massacring of the Indian nation by the American Calvary.

Also another film I found psychologically taxing was Sleepers with Jason Patric, Brad Pitt and Kevin Bacon, especially some of the scenes dealing with the rapes of the kids by the prison guard.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Reply #75: Jul 14, 2010 04:08:46 pm
      Once upon a time in america.

The telephone ringing non stop at the start.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #76: Jul 14, 2010 04:27:12 pm
      Braveheart - the scene were they are torturing William Wallace, I know it's not totally historical fact, but in a small way it shows what a b***ard nation the English were like at times.

Same goes for the likes of Soldier Blue, showing the massacring of the Indian nation by the American Calvary.

Also another film I found psychologically taxing was Sleepers with Jason Patric, Brad Pitt and Kevin Bacon, especially some of the scenes dealing with the rapes of the kids by the prison guard.

Don't know why but I hated Braveheart. Thought it was incredibly overrated.

Anyone like Withnail and I? Thought the end scene where Withnail is reciting Hamlet was a great ending.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #77: Jul 14, 2010 05:15:09 pm
      Anyone like Withnail and I? Thought the end scene where Withnail is reciting Hamlet was a great ending.

Love that film, but can't say it really affected me like others.

Withnail the character is tragically very funny, and in the scene you mention we do see that in fact he has talent that will never be realised.

I suppose you could say the film affected me by inspiring me to reach previously untried limits of pissed-ness! :D

Couple of Withnail posts to keep this thread on-topic ;) :

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=9430.msg176422#msg176422

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=9537.msg176420#msg176420
      miguelred
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts |
      Reply #78: Jul 15, 2010 06:39:56 am
      Visitor Q: Grotesque situations presented with naturalness and sometimes with tenderness. Really grotesque things though.

Electric Shadows: Emotional film. Cinema role in life of two children from China.

Lawn Dogs: If  I'd watch this movie today for the very first time I think it wouldn't affect me so much.

FREAKS (1932): nothing to add.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #79: Jul 15, 2010 12:09:00 pm
      Visitor Q: Grotesque situations presented with naturalness and sometimes with tenderness. Really grotesque things though.

That's a sick movie dude, Takashi Miike is a sick b***ard. :laugh: Visitor Q, Audition, Ichi The Killer, Gozu, twisted movies!
      « Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010 12:32:50 pm by Dexter »
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #80: Jul 15, 2010 12:14:09 pm
      Just looked up Visitor Q. Sounds sick indeed!
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,289 posts | 937 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #81: Jul 15, 2010 11:42:20 pm
      Green Mile, The Deer Hunter the Boy In Stripped Pyjamas are all great films
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #82: Jul 16, 2010 01:40:38 am
      Scum.

Scum

Highlighted what was wrong and still is wrong with the British Criminal Justice System, Criminals still being Criminals whilst being in her Majestys custody other than reformming.

I can see the bad in every one but believe no matter how bad some one is, they still have good in them its a human charactheristic and can be educated into them.
      liverpool9292
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts |
      Reply #83: Jul 16, 2010 03:47:16 pm
      The pursuit of happiness and 7 pounds are 2 unreal movies!!
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #84: Jul 16, 2010 03:48:10 pm
      The pursuit of happiness and 7 pounds are 2 unreal movies!!

Really enjoyed both of those.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #85: Jul 16, 2010 03:52:14 pm
      Inception is apparently a brilliant film, Nolan's best.

As for a film that's affected me in a profound way I'd have to say Shawshank Redemption. I loved it's idea's on freedom and how one can be free in a physical sense (not locked up) but in their own mind they are trapped in a way of thinking that imprisons them. Brilliant film, one of my all time favourites now.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #86: Jul 16, 2010 04:18:27 pm
      Gotta say Pay it Forward's ending hit me really of guard. Also loved the way Usual Suspects panned out, very unique movie and Kevin Spacey's top notch performance made it more sweeter. Just realized Kevin's in both those movies :laugh:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #87: Jul 16, 2010 04:43:53 pm
      Days of Thunder
      Bad Boys
      Back to the Future
      Wild Things
      Gladiator
      Man on Fire

In any order

Oh and

Book of Eli is quality
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #88: Jul 16, 2010 05:22:38 pm
      Getting the feeling that the topic is starting to go off-topic a little.

This thread isn't about your 'favourite films' - it's more about films that have 'affected you emotionally'. (Look back to my first post).
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #89: Jul 16, 2010 07:01:09 pm
      Gotta say Pay it Forward's ending hit me really of guard.

Alot of films that 'affected' me have been mentioned but this one was uber depressing.  A very good film but one I could never watch again.

Lawn Dogs is a very touching film with Sam Rockwell really impressing.  He became one of my favourite actors after watching this one, and The Green Mile - that film made me cry...just amazing.

The Shawshank Redemption (my favourite film), American History X and Braveheart are others that I've watched a dozen times and teared up quite a bit.  The ending of The Shawshank Redemption is the single greatest feel-good moment in movie history.

Terminator 2 made me cry when I was younger, but only because I was a big Arnie fan back then.  ;)

And probably a few others but they mustn't have affected me too much because I can't think of them.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #90: Jul 16, 2010 07:13:00 pm
      Scum.

Scum

Highlighted what was wrong and still is wrong with the British Criminal Justice System, Criminals still being Criminals whilst being in her Majestys custody other than reformming.

I can see the bad in every one but believe no matter how bad some one is, they still have good in them its a human charactheristic and can be educated into them.
      Definitely a movie with with a profound social message and one that made you re-assess certain values.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #91: Jul 16, 2010 07:37:57 pm
      Alot of films that 'affected' me have been mentioned but this one was uber depressing.  A very good film but one I could never watch again.
      I actually thought that was an hopeful and inspiring movie, sure it had some sad moments, but it left me with a good feeling.

Quick Reply