Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 5th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W10 D5 L6

Wingers

Read 8500 times
      camara14
      • Forum Neil Ruddock
      • Started Topic

• 157 posts | -3 
      Wingers
      Jul 03, 2007 11:34:18 am
      It seems that our remaining problems are down the flanks and we could do with a bit more service into the box but what wingers do we need and how many.
      xen105
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 78 posts | -4 
      Re: Wingers
      Reply #1: Jul 03, 2007 11:40:26 am
      i'd say 2, left and right, i would love to see the likes of alves, malouda or simao at liverpool. kewell and malouda for the left, pennant plus one of alves or simao or evn quaresma of porto. we definatly need someone
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #2: Jul 03, 2007 11:50:40 am
      It seems if the Heinze rumours are true then Rafa is planning to push Riise up to left mid (his best postition in my opinion). However we do need a dangerous, reliable, non-injurie-prone (sorry Harry) winger on either side.

What are the possibilities?
      Quaresma, Simao, Malouda, Joaquin, Pedersen.
      I do hope we get one!
      sonny
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #3: Jul 03, 2007 12:18:34 pm
      I agree you there venom about the need of more dangerous, reliable wingers, however i think there are better left midfielders than Riise - he has been a great servant for the club since he arrived but he gives away possession far to much for my liking.
      As for the wingers, i think Malouda would have been great but i reckon the chavs have got him and he has stated that is where he would like to play, so who does that leave us - simao, Quaresma???
      We also need to sign Masherano on a permanant deal!!!!
      camara14
      • Forum Neil Ruddock
      • Started Topic

• 157 posts | -3 
      Reply #4: Jul 03, 2007 12:44:01 pm
      I was thinking vicente but he's a bit injury prone.
      Quaresma's almost an atletico player simao would be great.
      garlo
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 518 posts |
      Reply #5: Jul 03, 2007 12:52:31 pm
      i can see pennant being a starter this season, he pulled together well towards the end of last season
      i say give him a chance.
      but still i worry about the left, riise isnt good enough, aurellio we could give him a chance but it's risky and kewell speaks for himself with the injury list he has had.
      seeing as gonzalez is gone, although i never rated him.
      so i think we should sign a left sided player more than anything
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,128 posts | 454 
      Reply #6: Jul 03, 2007 01:12:19 pm
      A left sided winger is absolutely essential if we are to challenge for the title.  The incoming player has to be an attack minded winger comfortable on the ball, mancini, queresma.....etc
      lfc 4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | -11 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #7: Jul 03, 2007 01:18:15 pm
      Mancini, Drenthe, Quaresma, Simao, Alves, Malouda, Joaquin, Pedersen would all be quality wingers to join Liverpool
      thekopster
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts | -5 
      Reply #8: Jul 03, 2007 04:35:26 pm
      they say that chavski have been watching malouda and are ready to snatch him from us
      this is good as we can then go for simao,quesrma
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #9: Jul 03, 2007 04:51:14 pm
      was just gonna say Quaresma is just about to sign for Atletico (havent they spent that Ā£27m quickly!!) but yeah I think we need at least one winger.

I really think Kewell will be class for us this season (as long as he doesnt get injured, but I dont think he will) but pennent in my eyes will only ever be a squad player, I think Mancini would be a very good option on the right with Simoa but I dont think we should sign Malouda as I think he's sown a a bad attitude.....
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Reply #10: Jul 03, 2007 05:59:21 pm
      joaquin is impossible,valencia paid 25 millionsā‚¬ the last summer.malouda and quaresma are great
      « Last Edit: Jul 03, 2007 07:28:14 pm by edu_rbb »
      Xabi1309
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 340 posts |
      Reply #11: Jul 03, 2007 08:11:10 pm

I still believe that Daniel Alves is an ideal left winger and would be a great aquisition.I watched him play a few times last season and he is lightening quick and can deliver a very good ball into the box.

I would spend the money on Alves at left wing.

The right wing is more problematic.Of those players I would like to see play in that role most of them are already well established with their respective teams and would require too much money.I am talking about Kaka or Cristiano Ronaldo who I beleive is the finest right sided winger on this planet! And yes we let him slip though our fingers.......

I am still not convinced that Sabrosa is the solution either.I have seen him play and he tends gto drift in and out of a game and is not a worker.

My most realsitic preference is Aaron Lennon of Spurs.He has bags of pace and works tirelessly for his side.Trouble is I doubt Jol would sell as he is empire building at the moment and would only sell at the right price.

Forget Malouda.

I have said in a previous thread he is a mercenary and destined to play Chavvy football,good luck to him.
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #12: Jul 03, 2007 08:28:42 pm
      This is right...believe me!

Once we get Beneyoun - the right side is sorted.  Pennant has done enough to warrant a place.

So that only leaves a left winger.  I reckon will get Simao.  No one else is talking about him.  We will then have Simao and Kewell fighting for that place.

Prem winners...me's think!
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #13: Jul 03, 2007 08:28:47 pm

I still believe that Daniel Alves is an ideal left winger and would be a great aquisition.I watched him play a few times last season and he is lightening quick and can deliver a very good ball into the box.

I would spend the money on Alves at left wing.

The right wing is more problematic.Of those players I would like to see play in that role most of them are already well established with their respective teams and would require too much money.I am talking about Kaka or Cristiano Ronaldo who I beleive is the finest right sided winger on this planet! And yes we let him slip though our fingers.......

I am still not convinced that Sabrosa is the solution either.I have seen him play and he tends gto drift in and out of a game and is not a worker.

My most realsitic preference is Aaron Lennon of Spurs.He has bags of pace and works tirelessly for his side.Trouble is I doubt Jol would sell as he is empire building at the moment and would only sell at the right price.

Forget Malouda.

I have said in a previous thread he is a mercenary and destined to play Chavvy football,good luck to him.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I might be prone to ripping into people at times, but not usually this much. However for that last post you completely deserve it.

You obviously have never ever seen Alves play, if you had you would certainly know that he plays on the right of the pitch.

Even if you suggest him on the right, he is not a winger. A winger is someone who hugs the touchline, beats a man & puts a cross in. Alves is not this type of player at all. He is a right back in a league where right back means a lot less defending than it does here, hence the debate whether he should play right back or right mid if he came here. A winger he definately is not.

You then go on to suggest Kaka if money was no object, one of the best atacking mids in the world, if not the best. He can do a job on the wing, but the only time you would ever put him there is if every other player for the position was injured. He is at his most devastating doing his damage in the middle. He is a great goalscorer as well as being a skillful player, put him on the right & you lose a lot of that.

Can I suggest that you actually watch players before making a judgement on them. You just make yourself look stupid (see above) when you try to pass judgement without watching them. If you lok back through my posts you will see plenty of posts saying 'Haven't seen him, can't offer an opinion' I suggest you do the same if you haven't seen a player.

Alves = Left Winger :D :D :D
      Xabi1309
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 340 posts |
      Reply #14: Jul 03, 2007 08:45:24 pm
      I have seen Alves play on the left hence my post and Kaka is an attacking midfiled player as you state but again we already have Stevie playing in that position who can also play on the right.I would put Kaka on the right.

Eddie C you seem to believe only your opinion counts and you write a lot of rubbish that you pass on as your opinion.

Try and be a bit more receptive to others!

Oh yes and lighten up a bit.

:action-smiley-025:
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #15: Jul 03, 2007 09:00:23 pm
      I have seen Alves play on the left hence my post and Kaka is an attacking midfiled player as you state but again we already have Stevie playing in that position who can also play on the right.I would put Kaka on the right.

Eddie C you seem to believe only your opinion counts and you write a lot of rubbish that you pass on as your opinion.

Try and be a bit more receptive to others!

Oh yes and lighten up a bit.

:action-smiley-025:

Ok, When have you seen one match where Alves played on the left? I honestly don't believe there has been one. Name me one, jus one, and I will apologise whole heartedly.

However I very much doubt you will be able to name one as I sincerely believe you are talking out of your arse. You ask me to be more receptive to others, I usually am. Even if I don't agree with other peoples opinions I will discuss it with them, however when you suggest Alves as a left winger I will just laugh at you as it is pathetic & definately proves that you have never watched him play. Either that or you're just retarded.

Little hint for you. Hold Both your hands up with your index finger at a right angle from your thumb. The one that makes an 'L' is your left hand, the other is your right :D :D :D
      THE MESSIAH
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 471 posts | 20 
      • "and on the seventh day.....there shall be Kenny"
      Reply #16: Jul 03, 2007 09:17:18 pm
      I am not getting into the argument of whos wrong or right with the last post, but EddieC I for one found your response both aggresive and patronising...
      LFC FOR ME
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts |
      Reply #17: Jul 03, 2007 09:49:27 pm
      Everyone stop having a go at Eddie, thats my new job! but serioulsy if I had my way we would try and sign Simao (and before you ask Ive seen enough of him to give an opinion).  He's fairly fast with good close control and can deliver a cracking shot when he's given time to cut inside.  for me theres too many wingers out there that have got skill and pace which is great for delivering the ball into the box but not always very clinical when they get in front of goal.  We need someone who can give us 10 goals and above off the wing in the league.
      Mickey LFC4Ever
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 76 posts | -6 
      Reply #18: Jul 03, 2007 10:54:15 pm
      I would like to see 2 wingers. in my opinion I think we should go for quaresma from porto and morten gamst-perdersen from blackburn. mgp is proven in the premiership and quaresma has some skill about him and can put in a good ball from the right.
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Reply #19: Jul 04, 2007 12:25:49 am
      alves is right defender,sevilla's winger is jesus navas,he is really great
      scouser_10
      • Forum Ian St John

• 430 posts | -12 
      Reply #20: Jul 04, 2007 03:31:22 am
      :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I might be prone to ripping into people at times, but not usually this much. However for that last post you completely deserve it.

You obviously have never ever seen Alves play, if you had you would certainly know that he plays on the right of the pitch.

Even if you suggest him on the right, he is not a winger. A winger is someone who hugs the touchline, beats a man & puts a cross in. Alves is not this type of player at all. He is a right back in a league where right back means a lot less defending than it does here, hence the debate whether he should play right back or right mid if he came here. A winger he definately is not.

You then go on to suggest Kaka if money was no object, one of the best atacking mids in the world, if not the best. He can do a job on the wing, but the only time you would ever put him there is if every other player for the position was injured. He is at his most devastating doing his damage in the middle. He is a great goalscorer as well as being a skillful player, put him on the right & you lose a lot of that.

Can I suggest that you actually watch players before making a judgement on them. You just make yourself look stupid (see above) when you try to pass judgement without watching them. If you lok back through my posts you will see plenty of posts saying 'Haven't seen him, can't offer an opinion' I suggest you do the same if you haven't seen a player.

Alves = Left Winger :D :D :D

very true....dani alves is a right sided player...however, he is very attacking for a righ-back....alot like a cafu or roberto carlos for brazil...he could play right wing-back in a 3-5-2 formation
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #21: Jul 04, 2007 08:42:54 am
      very true....dani alves is a right sided player...however, he is very attacking for a righ-back....alot like a cafu or roberto carlos for brazil...he could play right wing-back in a 3-5-2 formation

Absolutely, I suggested a 3-5-2 in the Alves thread. He is a very good player, but for the money Sevilla want now he's not worth it.
      scouser_10
      • Forum Ian St John

• 430 posts | -12 
      Reply #22: Jul 04, 2007 12:02:07 pm
      i would love to see quaresma playing on the wing for us....he is an amazing talent...quick pace, amazing dribbing skills and can take on defenders and beat them....he also sends quality crosses in...scores quality goals of his own as well...
      i would like to see simao as well....
      lfc 4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | -11 
      Reply #23: Jul 04, 2007 01:28:01 pm
      Id agree with pedersen on the left wing and Quaresma no the right, but if he is going to athletico madrid then i think we need to look at Alves !!!
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #24: Jul 04, 2007 06:19:07 pm
      Rafas just stated in an interview that hes only looking for wingers,i believe mancini from Roma is one,as`we have had   a reported bid of Ā£13m  turned down,possible alves the other?
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #25: Jul 04, 2007 08:20:07 pm
      Interesting topic this. Watching the press conference earlier, I told my bf that we'd need a winger, and he was like "We have Pennant" What if he's injured "Move Gerrard out" No he's better in the middle THEN Rafa said he wants to get wingers in not defenders when asked about Beanz Meanz (Gabriel) Heinze .. Hah listen to me Hehe :P I clearly know more about footy than my bf.. but he is more of a rygbi guy. Ok rant over sorry guys!!

wdavidw10
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #26: Jul 04, 2007 09:14:13 pm
      I think that Pennant done well last season just didnt play enough games to stay on form, i tihnk Kewell will play well this season but i would like someone like simao to come to liverpool, it will be intresting to see what Rafa does.
      samcharles
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 181 posts | -9 
      Reply #27: Jul 04, 2007 09:22:36 pm
      simao & mancini
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #28: Jul 04, 2007 09:27:50 pm
      I think that Pennant done well last season just didn't play enough games to stay on form,

Pennant played 52 times last Season? and scored once I was/am one of his biggest critics, however he showed a marked improvement toward the end of last season but was far to inconstant over the course of the season, heres hoping we see his form improve at the start of next season and my opinion changes
      wdavidw10
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #29: Jul 04, 2007 09:32:26 pm
      52 games? really? i didnt know that, i take back what i said then, but i do think he is still a good player.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #30: Jul 04, 2007 09:37:07 pm
      52 games? really? I didnt know that, I take back what I said then, but I do think he is still a good player.

if he Carry's on with the same confidence he finished the season with I am sure he will  ;)
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #31: Jul 04, 2007 10:48:38 pm
      If Pennant can get his act together next season we will only need a left winger i would go for Pedersen of Blackburn he would fit in nicely at Anfield.
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #32: Jul 06, 2007 07:12:04 pm
      Reds set to sign Stockport winger

Premiership side Liverpool have agreed a deal to sign teenage Stockport County winger Ryan Crowther.

The Reds will pay an undisclosed fee for the 18-year-old, who has agreed personal terms at Anfield.

The move will be completed once Crowther has completed a medical with the Anfield club next Monday.

Crowther started one first-team game and made a further appearance from the bench for Stockport since coming through the youth system.

from the BBC website.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #33: Jul 06, 2007 10:09:53 pm
      Reds set to sign Stockport winger

Premiership side Liverpool have agreed a deal to sign teenage Stockport County winger Ryan Crowther.

The Reds will pay an undisclosed fee for the 18-year-old, who has agreed personal terms at Anfield.

The move will be completed once Crowther has completed a medical with the Anfield club next Monday.

Crowther started one first-team game and made a further appearance from the bench for Stockport since coming through the youth system.

from the BBC website.

Problem solved then :D :D :D
      samcharles
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 181 posts | -9 
      Reply #34: Jul 07, 2007 02:17:05 pm
      LETS STOP BEING SILLY PEDERSON FOR A TEAM LIKE LIVERPOOL JUST IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

I wish we would all have a look at what we need need . we need a pain the butt winger who never stops running at defenders and someone who has massive pace but uses it without running around like a headless chicken

man utd and Chelsea have great options on the flanks, lets not mess about we need x2 new proper paceman who can carry the fight with trickery and speed and get to the dead ball line and get in behind.

liverpool would look brilliant if we could get this done.

Reina

finnan    carragher   agger     riise

quares ma    Gerrard  Alonso       Mancini
      (pace)         (pace)                   (pace)
                           simao
                           (link)
                           torres
                            (pace)

with width and the other places for competition on the bench.

pennant, kewell, crouch, kuyt etc .. etc... thats the type of squad and team we have to be looking at to even get 2nd place this year make no mistake  utd and Chelsea have to much power on the flanks and we all know this if we can get that as the new liverpool for the start of this season then we are back in the business
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #35: Jul 08, 2007 12:39:13 pm

Not in the team against Wrexham which is a suprise...so maybe he's not the answer Eddie...;D!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #36: Jul 08, 2007 02:01:39 pm
      LETS STOP BEING SILLY PEDERSON FOR A TEAM LIKE LIVERPOOL JUST IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Yes everyone, stop being silly. How dare you have an opinion, especially if it disagrees with samcharles.

Sam, don't you wonder why your rating already says minus 6 within about a day of the ratings starting? Try being more polite to other posters mate.
      RedWilly

• 9,199 posts | 1642 
      Reply #37: Jul 08, 2007 02:15:27 pm
      sam charles, if you watched pederson play you would notice he doesn't stop running, he has a great shot on him, and a huge danger from set plays, he frequently gets on the score sheet for blackburn, he is a quality winger and would be a cheaper option than mancini, he would probably cost around 11 million, I would love us to sign pederson.
      On the right wing I would like us to sign Simao, but pennant was one of our best players last season, so if we only got some decent cover for him who will challenge him i would be happy.
      « Last Edit: Jul 08, 2007 02:17:35 pm by Liverbird »
      Redfish
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #38: Jul 08, 2007 02:24:12 pm
      I think Quaresma and beny are the two wide players likely to come in.Pennant at the end of last season and Kewell, now ,have shown signs of productivity.It will probably cost around 20mil to bring these two players in and i would like to see central defensive cover as well.Vincent Kompany is being talk about now, he would be an excellent buy,IMO one of the best young CB's around.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,288 posts | 4938 
      Reply #39: Jul 08, 2007 08:19:38 pm
      sam charles, if you watched pederson play you would notice he doesn't stop running, he has a great shot on him, and a huge danger from set plays, he frequently gets on the score sheet for blackburn, he is a quality winger and would be a cheaper option than mancini, he would probably cost around 11 million, I would love us to sign pederson.
      On the right wing I would like us to sign Simao, but pennant was one of our best players last season, so if we only got some decent cover for him who will challenge him I would be happy.

I agree Liverbird. Like you I think Pedersen is worth looking at for the left side. He has all the qualities that samcharles said we need for a winger so I don't quite understand why he is against us going for him! The only thing he doesn't really have is a few tricks but that isn't always a good thing too. He is quick, scores goals, gets up and down the pitch and is a threat from set pieces, so for me is well worth Ā£11M if that's what it would take.
      camara14
      • Forum Neil Ruddock
      • Started Topic

• 157 posts | -3 
      Reply #40: Jul 08, 2007 10:53:53 pm
      I agree with Sam Charles we are very limited down the wings compared to man u with giggs ,ronaldo,Nani and Chelsea with robben ,swp, Joe Cole and soon malouda we need to get two wingers pacey, talented and with the ability to beat defenders and get in behind. if you look across Europe there seems not to be many wingers apart from the usually suspects it seems that more teams are playing narrow or with players in wide areas that you would not consider to be wingers but if we're talking the left Vicente or robinho (probably unrealistic, not really a winger) get my vote and the right quraesma or castelen from feyenoord Joaquin is great but he only just signed for Valencia last season and is too expensive.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #41: Jul 09, 2007 03:11:30 pm
      I posted before in his thread that I thought Quaresma was a brilliant player but not the right player for us. He is a very skillful player but isn't that much of a goal threat, only averaging 4 goals a season whilst playing in a league that outside of the big three doesn't have a lot of quality. However I've considered the options we have on the left & think that maybe we will get enough goals from there. We have Kewell if he can stay fit (big if) and Riise, both of who can chip in with a good few. So maybe Quaresma would be ok for the left, as I said before he's a very skillfull player who will get a load of assists but not so many goals, initially my reason for not wanting him. But thinking about the other options we have he may not be a bad choice. On the right I definately think we need a goalscoring winger, I predict Pennant to have a good season, but I still don't think he'll score many. This would leave us with good options on either side. my suggestion would be Simao for the left, so you would be left with:

LEFT                             
      Quaresma - Skillful player, will get crosses in
      Kewell - Skillful player, will score goals
      Riise - More solid defensively, but will chip in with goals

RIGHT
      Pennant - Skillful player, will get crosses in
      Simao - Skillful player, will score goals
      Gerrard - More solid defensively, but will chip in with goals

For me that would be a perfect set of options for both flanks. Gerrard and Riise wouldn't need to play there very often, only really if the opposition has a dangerous winger. I agree with most that Gerrard is wasted on the right, but occassionally it's the best option, when nulifying the opposition winger is more important than getting the best out of Stevie. Against teams with poor aerial ability in defence we can play Pennant & Quaresma on the wings, both players who are going to get a lot of crosses in. Or we can go for a more balanced approach of an out & out winger on one side getting the crosses in, and more of an attacking side midfielder (Kewell or Simao) on the other side carrying a goal threat. I feel this would be particularly effective with Simao & Quaresma, as they are interchangable and can switch through the match, causing defenders nightmares.

king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,128 posts | 454 
      Reply #42: Jul 09, 2007 03:16:57 pm
      I think only one top notch left winger is needed and some very highly rated youngsters for both sides.  Alot of people are talking of having two wingers (4-2-4)?, but that is just not going to happen.  Mascherano, alonso and Gerrard have to all play as much as possible they are players that can get in any team.  Its the problematic left hand side Kewell is in the treatment room far too long we need a world beater.    Gerrard gives us balance in midfield when put on the right.  Pennant needs to be given a chance too, i think we should not replace him yet but give him competition from a youngster.
      scouser_10
      • Forum Ian St John

• 430 posts | -12 
      Reply #43: Jul 10, 2007 08:39:38 am
      I posted before in his thread that I thought Quaresma was a brilliant player but not the right player for us. He is a very skillful player but isn't that much of a goal threat, only averaging 4 goals a season whilst playing in a league that outside of the big three doesn't have a lot of quality. However I've considered the options we have on the left & think that maybe we will get enough goals from there. We have Kewell if he can stay fit (big if) and Riise, both of who can chip in with a good few. So maybe Quaresma would be ok for the left, as I said before he's a very skillfull player who will get a load of assists but not so many goals, initially my reason for not wanting him. But thinking about the other options we have he may not be a bad choice. On the right I definately think we need a goalscoring winger, I predict Pennant to have a good season, but I still don't think he'll score many. This would leave us with good options on either side. my suggestion would be Simao for the left, so you would be left with:

LEFT                             
      Quaresma - Skillful player, will get crosses in
      Kewell - Skillful player, will score goals
      Riise - More solid defensively, but will chip in with goals

RIGHT
      Pennant - Skillful player, will get crosses in
      Simao - Skillful player, will score goals
      Gerrard - More solid defensively, but will chip in with goals

For me that would be a perfect set of options for both flanks. Gerrard and Riise wouldn't need to play there very often, only really if the opposition has a dangerous winger. I agree with most that Gerrard is wasted on the right, but occassionally it's the best option, when nulifying the opposition winger is more important than getting the best out of Stevie. Against teams with poor aerial ability in defence we can play Pennant & Quaresma on the wings, both players who are going to get a lot of crosses in. Or we can go for a more balanced approach of an out & out winger on one side getting the crosses in, and more of an attacking side midfielder (Kewell or Simao) on the other side carrying a goal threat. I feel this would be particularly effective with Simao & Quaresma, as they are interchangable and can switch through the match, causing defenders nightmares.

i dont believe pennant is good enough.....i would take quaresma anyday Eddie....reason being....for the amount of times penant gets the ball, and for how many crosses he sends in, we dont score....he constantly gets into good positions and fails to produce a good quality ball to our strikers...quaresma can do that on the left or right hand side of the wings...i do believe quaresma should start on the right wing, and kewell can start on the left....however, quaresma is versatile and can play left wing as well....similarly with kewell, whom could play right wing. we should sign simao or babel for depth on the wings (right and left respectively), and im sorry but pennant falls in as our third string winger...
      however, smart way of thinking with those players and when they should be played... ;)
      lfc 4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | -11 
      Reply #44: Jul 10, 2007 11:50:58 am
      if you look at man u's wingers they have Ronaldo, Giggs, Nani all class wingers if you look at chelsea wingers, they have J.Cole SWP, Robben, Maloda, and now apparently Drethe, know look at Liverpools winger Pennant and Kewell there's the problem, we need a winger with skill and excitement to them which gets the crowd standing a winger that can beat a man with pace and skill and can swing in great crosses and score a few goals a player who understands the passion of what liverpool means to the supports and wants to play for liverpool not just happy to do an avarge days work and go home and spend all there money on what ever expensive things they buy not just playin for the money but playing 110% for the club, you know wingers like Mancini, Simao, Quearesma, and if they dont have that passion for the club then the likes of carragher and gerrard can say this is what playing for are club is all about, so work your socks off and we will achieve that title, so we can whipe that smile of fergusons old sagging face and let that scum bag Neveille have his ugly face rubbed into it and watch that diver Ronaldo walk of the pitch cryin his eyes out and let that Mourinho make up a stupid excuss like we didnt want to win any trothys this season.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #45: Jul 30, 2007 05:15:38 pm
      Everyone was expecting wingers like Quaresma, Mancini, Simao

But we ended up with two players who are NOT wingers... Benayoun and Babel
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #46: Jul 31, 2007 11:50:07 am
      Actually, weā€™ve ended up with 2 players who have quite different skills setsā€¦.
      We have 2 traditional wingers in Pennant and Kewell.
      Weā€™ve added Benayoun, who replaces Garciaā€™s creative spark, and can also cross the ball.
      More excitingly, Babel, whose a left winger/striker whose play down the flank is similar to Lahmā€¦.
      Also importantly, is that both of these players can play elsewhere, like striker and centre midfield.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #47: Jul 31, 2007 11:55:32 am
      Everyone was expecting wingers like Quaresma, Mancini, Simao

But we ended up with two players who are NOT wingers... Benayoun and Babel

Have to disagree there. 

Benayoun and Babel are wingers, the idea that you are thinking is that they can play in other places.

We can't expect Rafa to go off and sign Ā£20 million talent in every position can we?  I think it is safe to say we have signed the players that can fit in those positions.  Again,  I think our last signing will be Gabriel Heinze. 

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #48: Jul 31, 2007 12:07:17 pm
      What about Hawar Mohammed??
      You have never heard of him most of you but he was the best LM in the Asian Cup for Iraq...he out-shone Kewell by far in their match against each other and has the sweetest left boot. Produces a tremendous cross, defensive wise he is probablyone fo the best at getting back and forward down the pitch and can beat a guy easily. Just my opinion as he is an awesome player. here's a link to watch Hawar on youtube:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://youtube.com/watch?v=dT67NqI7dX0
      TBH Pennant has impressed me so far in the pre season. He has more confidence in his game and it's showing with his performances so far. Can push for a permanent first team place this season if he keeps it up.
      « Last Edit: Jul 31, 2007 12:16:48 pm by crouchinho »
      Trev
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts |
      Reply #49: Jul 31, 2007 12:18:12 pm
      quaresma  and  Kompany then that'll be job done
      LFC Gary
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      Reply #50: Jul 31, 2007 12:54:48 pm
      quaresma  and  Kompany then that'll be job done

While we're at it why don't we grab Kaka & Ronaldinho too?

Quaresma & Kompany would cost at least Ā£25m for the pair, despite Rick Parry's comments does anyone really think we have that much left to spend?
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #51: Jul 31, 2007 12:55:02 pm
      Kompany? as in Vincent? Since when has he played on the wing??
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #52: Jul 31, 2007 01:03:32 pm
      While we're at it why don't we grab Kaka & Ronaldinho too?

Quaresma & Kompany would cost at least Ā£25m for the pair, despite Rick Parry's comments does anyone really think we have that much left to spend?

Definately not, at most I'd say there's Ā£10m left in the kitty. TBH I would have liked to see at least one signing for the wings who actually played purely as a winger, but I don't think we can expect to see anyone else come in for the job now.
      LFC Gary
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      Reply #53: Aug 01, 2007 12:24:50 pm
      Definately not, at most I'd say there's Ā£10m left in the kitty. TBH I would have liked to see at least one signing for the wings who actually played purely as a winger, but I don't think we can expect to see anyone else come in for the job now.

Me too, it does seem we've signed players who can 'do a job' out on the wing but aren't actually wingers. TBH if Kewell can stay fit for a whole season, which is a big if, we should be ok. But I'm not happy having to rely on Harry & would feel far more comfortable if we'd signed a proper winger for the left.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #54: Aug 01, 2007 12:44:10 pm
      Like Hawad Mohammed :). I heard though he is getting a 10-day trial at Arsenal and interest coming from Sunderland too which is a bummer.
      scouser_10
      • Forum Ian St John

• 430 posts | -12 
      Wingers: are we running short??
      Reply #55: Aug 14, 2007 01:03:47 pm
      Just reading now that Harry Kewell is injured again, there is also much debate crossing my head whether our current wingers are good enough for this team if we want to win the league. Im Australian myself, so i think Harry is a star player, but he is proving too costly with all his injuries, so i think it is time for him to leave.
      I do not believe that Pennant is good enough at all, he is too slow for a winger and lacks the ability to find strikers when he crosses the ball in (ie: champions league final he had a tonne of possession on the wing, where did all his crosses go, or were we able to get a chance at scorring from his crosses??)
      I also believe that Riise is no good, and within the next 12 months, will not be at liverpool.
      Ryan Babel is the only class winger who can produce something. Pace, skill and can cause havock for opposition. I also believe that yossi can do the same, but not to the devistating affect.
      If we compare our wingers to the top teams wingers.....mancs- ronaldo, giggs.....chevski- malouda, robben.....

If im going overboard, let me know....but im just abit worried, that we dont have the depth or talent in our wings so our whole team is balanced.
      Strong defence, strong midfield, strong attack (all 3 with depth), and our wings seem to be not as strong.
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Re: Wingers: are we running short??
      Reply #56: Aug 14, 2007 01:30:48 pm
      You forgot Benayoun, and his experience and classy passing will probably give him a starting spot.

And Pennant is underrated- his crossing is very good, and he's improving constantly.

I think Benitez is gearing for a possible 4-3-3......Babel Torres and kuyt/crouch up front....with masch, gerrard and alonso in the midfield.
      that would be awesome.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #57: Aug 14, 2007 01:59:36 pm
      I think Benitez is gearing for a possible 4-3-3......Babel Torres and kuyt/crouch up front....with masch, gerrard and alonso in the midfield.
      that would be awesome.

However if we played exactly the same formation but classed Babel & Torres as wingers, making it a 4-5-1, everyone would complain that we're being negative ???
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #58: Aug 04, 2008 05:39:32 pm
      Well.... where are they?

I thought our biggest weakness was down the flanks? We not even linked to any wingers, I doubt we'll be signing any it seems quite late on in the transfer market now.

Benayoun, Babel, Pennant, Aurelio & Gerrard will be used as our wingers.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,660 posts | 6955 
      Reply #59: Aug 04, 2008 05:41:14 pm
      Add Degen, Keane and Dossena to that list.

Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #60: Aug 04, 2008 05:42:22 pm
      Add Degen, Keane and Dossena to that list.

I wouldn't want to see Keane playing there, but he may look at Cisse when he was here, and Bellamy.
      Not to forget Kuyt now plays as a winger for us.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #61: Aug 04, 2008 08:28:27 pm
      I wouldn't want to see Keane playing there, but he may look at Cisse when he was here, and Bellamy.
      Not to forget Kuyt now plays as a winger for us.

Kuyt is doing better as a winger than as a foward IMO
      Mr Topsy Turvey
      • Forum David Johnson

• 226 posts |
      Reply #62: Aug 04, 2008 08:32:20 pm
      Kuyt is doing better as a winger than as a foward IMO
      He always gives 110% every game, that is important i feel - then again, when I give 110%, I'm still sh*t ;D
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,063 posts | 3353 
      Reply #63: Aug 04, 2008 11:09:54 pm
      The wings aren't a new problem, they've been a problem since the days of McManaman. He was the last decent natural winger we had.

Since then I don't recall to many out and out wingers, Pennant, Kewell (when fit) and Gonzalez off the top of me head. Barmby, Kuyt, Babel, Garcia, Benayoun, Smicer, Heskey, Cisse and Bellamy (to name a few) all ended up on the wing when it isn't their position. I thought Gerrard on the right was untouchable at times, but again he isn't a natural winger and most of the time wasn't even on the right wing. So every year since the summer of 99 we still haven't found a top class winger, nearly 10 years without that real quality winger. The closest we came was Kewell but injuries hit him and forced a 5 million flop on our books, Pennant is decent but not in the same class as McManaman. 9 or 10 years and we still can't find one, something needs sortin out now.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #64: Aug 04, 2008 11:55:56 pm
      I think another thing what makes it more of a frustration is that we  have come within 1 or 2 million of signing some players who are great on the wings e.g. Simao.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #65: Aug 05, 2008 12:48:25 am
      I still think that it was a mistake selling mark gonzalez so i do, he's a natural winger and i think given a better chance could have been a success, im sure im not the only one who thinks this.. am i?
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #66: Aug 05, 2008 02:50:36 am
      Yes , he hardly made an impact and was shrugged of the ball far too easily to be a premiership player.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #67: Aug 05, 2008 06:16:24 am
      He showed glimpses of what we could do though. I mean come on, Ronaldo was a push over in his first season wasnt he? Deserved another crack considering Rafa hasnt looked for someone to replace him.

Wingers is our priority. We could have had Ronaldo and Simao just to name a few and came short by 1 or 2 million quid. Its as if we are stingy about the most problematic area of our squad when we are willing to pay anything for other positions ie. Dossena, Keane, Barry, Skrtel, Babel, Nando etc etc etc.
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      Reply #68: Aug 05, 2008 06:25:23 am
      True and i totally agree we need to get a quality winger and the only way of doing that is by paying through the nose for it. Yet i certainly do not think Gonzalez was the answer. In truth i do not believe him to even be a good footballer. On the ball he was poor and his only real outlet was pace. His tracking back was atrocious and seemed disheartned each time something did not go his way.

Either way, when are we actually going to pay top dollar for a top winger ?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #69: Aug 05, 2008 06:26:32 am
      Either way, when are we actually going to pay top dollar for a top winger ?

How old are you? Add 35 years to that and there's your answer.
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      Reply #70: Aug 05, 2008 06:31:00 am
      How old are you? Add 35 years to that and there's your answer.

Oh right. Just in time for the 2060/61 campaign then ;)
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,063 posts | 3353 
      Reply #71: Aug 05, 2008 02:29:29 pm
      I personally feel Paul Anderson is a good winger, not top class yet, but has the potentional to be. He can play on either wing, without any difficulty. Quick, skillful and can cross. I was disappointed to see him loaned out this year, but hopefully next year he can make either of the wings his own. Maybe with Hammill opperating down the opposite flank.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #72: Aug 05, 2008 07:44:13 pm
      This is the season for Mr.Babel to step up i think
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #73: Aug 05, 2008 08:45:51 pm
      This is the season for Mr.Babel to step up I think

I hope so too Mag, he's a promising young talent that I can't wait to see flourish!!
      DOOLEY
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts | -5 
      Reply #74: Aug 05, 2008 08:51:44 pm
      buy SILVA
      sell voronin
      sell arbeloa
      get new owners
      buy SILVA

Quick Reply