Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 20th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

The last couple of months

Read 13813 times
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Re: The last couple of months
      Reply #69: Aug 31, 2010 09:18:31 pm
      I'd like to think Konchesky is a stop gap player, but since he's signed on a 4 year deal at his age I doubt Roy feels the same.
      Ofcourse the main aim for getting players should never be profit, but that doesn't mean you should ignore it, many players will be sold eventually. You can get all happy about the cashflow, but having profitable players is just as much part of our capital. When you consider that in our first 11 we probably have 7 ageing players who are dropping rapidly in value each year, how are we going to replace any of those? Who will be left to sell, Torres, Reina, Agger, Skrtel, Pacheco? It'll get worse every year. I don't care about short term, I care about long term.

Going back to my original point, if the balance sheet looks healthier, and so does the cashflow, we are a more attractive prospect to any potential buyer.

In the long term, none of what we are currently seeing is sustainable, we all know that, I am just saying "what if?"
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #70: Aug 31, 2010 09:21:01 pm
      Anyway mods this thread was started as a positive but yet again the same poisonous so called fans who fail to attend dragged it down to how bad things are and how by not going they are better than anyone else.

Buts what's worse is someone having an homoerotic picture of Torres covered in paint as profile picture, can we please close this thread as it's quite clear it's been dragged down again by the same posters that hijack every F***ing single thread on here when people try to be positive.

Pick your dummy up Gazza, I'll stick your toys back in the pram.

Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #71: Aug 31, 2010 09:23:22 pm
      Anyway mods this thread was started as a positive but yet again the same poisonous so called fans who fail to attend dragged it down to how bad things are and how by not going they are better than anyone else.
      You're clearly on the wrong forum mate, afterall the vast majority of the paying members of this site, including the staff, have voted on this issue and as a result fully support the NOT A PENNY MORE campaign. If you can't handle that then you're probably better off elsewhere.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #72: Aug 31, 2010 09:24:39 pm
      Going back to my original point, if the balance sheet looks healthier, and so does the cashflow, we are a more attractive prospect to any potential buyer.

I understand, fully, what you're saying KiK but.... hasn't Broughton said we have four bids already in? Surely those four bidders have placed bids on the strength of what they've seen before the cull?  :-\

« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2010 09:32:07 pm by bad boy bubby »
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #73: Aug 31, 2010 09:27:28 pm

In the long term, none of what we are currently seeing is sustainable, we all know that, I am just saying "what if?"

Its obvious the culling of staff and the reduction of the wage bill is to make the Business model more financially viable.

Its the reason for these actions by Tom & George to do this that has me concerned, have they been advised by the banks that by doing this they may be able to offer refinancing at levels more sustainable.
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #74: Aug 31, 2010 09:27:46 pm
      Apart from Masch I am happy with what we have let go, personally would have liked to of got rid of even more if I am honest. No surprise that the players that have gone are not LFC quality. Call me old fashioned but I agree with St John Masch is a little dog he is no Souness who also created scored as well as destroyed. Would prefer Alonso and Gerrard in the middle rather than Masch something that Miereles could bring.

Hey onwards and upwards wasn't it Mourhino who said a smaller squad is a better squad, ffs people bemoaning every transfer that left Liverpool I am not.

I wonder what Torres thinks of our transfer activity? When he said that we needed 4 or 5 top players for him to stay/for us to challenge for the title, I wonder if he had meireles and konchesky in mind.......It's also safe to assume that he thought Mascherano would be staying as well.
      What kind of "big club" let's the argentine captain/one of the best holding midfielder players in the world go to a wealthy club for less than they paid for him before he's reached his prime??? Our biggest worry is surely that Torres almost certainly won't be with us this time next year and who can blame him?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #75: Aug 31, 2010 09:31:32 pm

Buts what's worse is someone having an homoerotic picture of Torres covered in paint as profile picture, can we please close this thread as it's quite clear it's been dragged down again by the same posters that hijack every F***ing single thread on here when people try to be positive.

KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #76: Aug 31, 2010 09:31:46 pm
      Its obvious the culling of staff and the reduction of the wage bill is to make the Business model more financially viable.

Its the reason for these actions by Tom & George to do this that has me concerned, have they been advised by the banks that by doing this they may be able to offer refinancing at levels more sustainable.

That's very true, but there is the other side to the coin as well - I'm not saying it's going to happen, just that until we know otherwise, it remains a possibility.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #77: Aug 31, 2010 09:36:10 pm

Buts what's worse is someone having an homoerotic picture of Torres covered in paint as profile picture, can we please close this thread as it's quite clear it's been dragged down again by the same posters that hijack every f**king single thread on here when people try to be positive.

I think you can't be a real fan if you don't appreciate that picture of Torres >:D

Don't be such a cry baby. We are as positive as any about most things. But the stark reality is at the moment our club is dying, and until it is sold we will continue to push the message as harshly as we possibly can.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #78: Aug 31, 2010 09:38:12 pm
      That's very true, but there is the other side to the coin as well - I'm not saying it's going to happen, just that until we know otherwise, it remains a possibility.

Obviously their is the other side of the coin but then there is the October 26th deadline which in my opinion is starting to make the reduction of the wage bill and loaning players out unnecessarily I.E Aquilani and Insua look like its heading to refinancing.

It could be they are lowering the wage bill for all interested parties lets presume their are bidders at the table and that the club will be sold.

But in all honesty I can not see every bidder at the table stipulating and in agreement that the wage bill needed to be reduced, that leads me to believe that it is the banks who are stipulating the terms in order to refinance and believe me I hope to F**k I'm wrong.
      SaveLiverpoolFC
      • Banned

• 374 posts | 19 
      Reply #79: Aug 31, 2010 10:07:12 pm
      Just watch Broughgton squirming in interviews. 2 of the many big pr lies have been 1)they're really really gonna sell u very very soon. And 2)the Yanks are out and not making a profit.

The reality is that they're asset stripping , cost cutting and sending the club into the dustbin.
      More and more money is coming in from the fans. The banks and the Yanks, frankly they're all reptiles hell bent on killing our bird.

We're just gotta hit the sponsors, hit their other interests, hit the media, and prepare our own takeover. Otherwise things will go from sh*t to shi**er.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #80: Aug 31, 2010 10:32:03 pm
      Ok guys, without going into detail- i am well aware of the facts surrounding our club.
      But what reasons do we have for not believing our club will be sold?
      Sure Purslow is a slimeball, Broughton is a Chavski supporter & our owners are dickheads- but surely we should still with-hold some optimism?

Too many people on here are wayyy to negative, sure when Man-Shitty thump us, then we can moan.
      But has this summer not been ALMOST everything we wanted it to be?
      -Torres & Gerrard to stay
      -Summer signings
      -New Manager
      -Club to be sold

3 out of 4 cant be bad!

I remember chatting on here talking about what a huge summer we had ahead of us- and things were not looking good! No manager, very few players commiting themselves, dickhead yanks.
      But apart from twit & tw*t still being here, have we pretty much got what we wanted?
      Without listing them- our summer could have been a hell of alot worse!

But i think we could win the league, and someone would find something to moan about!
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #81: Aug 31, 2010 10:44:29 pm
      Ok guys, without going into detail- i am well aware of the facts surrounding our club.
      Sure Purslow is a slimeball, Broughton is a Chavski supporter & our owners are dickheads- but surely we should still with-hold some optimism?

Too many people on here are wayyy to negative, sure when Man-Shitty thump us, then we can moan.
      -Summer signings
      -New Manager
      -Club to be sold

3 out of 4 cant be bad!

I remember chatting on here talking about what a huge summer we had ahead of us- and things were not looking good! No manager, very few players commiting themselves, dickhead yanks.
      But apart from twit & tw*t still being here, have we pretty much got what we wanted?

But i think we could win the league, and someone would find something to moan about!
      So you're saying that we should be happy because we might not be worse off than last year if we're lucky? Though even that is questionable.

Torres and Gerrard staying, ofcourse that's awesome.
      Summer signings, Cole and Meireles are good signings, but besides that not so great. Not to mention that we spend less than we made again, and still no proper 2nd striker.
      New Manager, well what did you expect, that we'd have no manager? Very questionable that we'd have Roy as our manager if those yanks weren't our owners.

3 out of 4 is bad when the 4th, Club being sold, is more important than the other 3 together. Ofcourse our club will be sold eventually, but how long will it take, and at the cost of what? We all know what Hicks is capable of seeing what he did to Corinthians.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #82: Aug 31, 2010 10:49:36 pm
      Im saying- the end of the summer is looking alot better than we thought it would!

I am thinking Milan is also a good signing, and we cant really judge the others until we have seen them play in red.

I admit i am a little too optimistic sometimes, but surely we must look at the positives?
      Even when the yanks are gone, will we just find something new to moan about?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #83: Aug 31, 2010 10:58:29 pm
      Club has been for sale for a long time now, really, MsTorres. The fact is, we saw with Huang that things must be very frustrating as he pulled out due to things just not happening. That tells me, despite the apprant intentions to sell, that there is still some sh*te going on behind the scenes.

What you have to understand is by the time we are sold, where will we be? We could be heading towards a worse finish than last season if injuries take hold again - and that will almost certainly lead to Torres going as his career is heading towards a point where he cannot wait around for us to finally build up rather than down. Not to mention other players going.

You people who bi*ch about over negativity from people such as myself are F***ing me off. As anyone who knows me well will know, im one of the most positive, relaxed people around. I'm also just a realist, and know what the continued ownership, regardless of 'intentions to sell', of twit and tw*t, will mean to our club.

You say Torres and Gerrard to stay - F***ing huge positive, but that will not last if the status quo remains.
      Summer signings? Great, but we also fu**ed off just as many. If injuries hit like last season, we will do very well to do any better than last season.
      New Manager? Roy has done okay so far, but im not over the moon yet. He needs to quickly work out what his best team and formation is, cos we have been sub-par for large parts of our games so far.
      Club to be sold? Yeah, maybe. But we have been 'to be sold' for a fair while now. And despite the apparent four bidders after Huang, we have not heard a thing for a while now. I do hope it happens soon though.

We know the summer could have been worse - but it still could get worse. Being the positive person i am, i am hoping that things are resolved quickly and smoothly. But i do not want to be chastised when i tell someone like Gazza to wake up and at least look at the whole picture. That's the issue here, some people simply refuse to at least acknowledge the problem. You can be positive and still support the campaign against the owners!

Until they are gone, things will continue to be under an intense cloud. Do not let the PR crap bullshit you.

Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #84: Aug 31, 2010 11:05:09 pm
      Im saying- the end of the summer is looking alot better than we thought it would!

I am thinking Milan is also a good signing, and we cant really judge the others until we have seen them play in red.

I admit i am a little too optimistic sometimes, but surely we must look at the positives?
      Even when the yanks are gone, will we just find something new to moan about?

Well to me it doesn't. I expected, but maybe more so hoped we would've been sold by now. Right now it's all that matters to me. You can be happy about Torres and Gerrard staying, but if we don't have new owners by this time next year I doubt both will still be here.

Milan can do a good job for us in our current situation, but I'm sorry to say that he's not a major improvement for our team. We would've never even considered him if he wouldn't have been free.

You may think I'm moaning, but I'm not just going to sit back and enjoy seeing these yanks ruin our club.
      Zeus
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      Reply #85: Sep 01, 2010 02:00:40 am
      ok with all the doom and gloom on here think we need to see what is going on.

1. As I have previously said all the Haung crap was just that. Bad call from the times and they wouldnt back down like a dog with a bone what's worse "bamba and DVC" feeding so much false crap over the forums some people got blinded. Can't really blame them but hey what's done is done.

2. We are going to get sold we have bids on the table and for that very reason is why this transfer window has been so quiet, let's face it you wouldn't spend massive money on a car before you decided to sell it would you.

3. Credit to Hodgson we strengthened at LB got rid of some deadwood signed good young lad called Suszo. And a cracking midfielder to tide us over not to mention keeping Torres and Gerrard and don't forget Cole.

Going to be tough until we officially sold but let's get behind the side give them all our support fleck will even cheer the lazy arse that is Babel for the time being.

YNWA

Sorry but not now.  I am feeling utterly dejected, utterly let down.  

Praying Torres and Gerrard stay fit. Numb wondering what's going to happen in October; if the club can be sold before January, where we will be in the table by January.

The club knew it needed to secure a striker during this window.  We have one striker injured, one still getting back to fitness.  The massive failure to sign somebody shows how this club has been brought to its knees. To me, THAT sums up the tenure of Gilette and Hicks.  

There may well be a time for optimism but not now.
      « Last Edit: Sep 01, 2010 03:19:45 am by Zeus »
      Zeus
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      Reply #86: Sep 01, 2010 03:28:41 am
      Article from The Offside [http://liverpool.theoffside.com/team-news/the-tipping-point.html]:

"The Tipping Point
      By: Ed | August 31st, 2010

All this over Carlton Cole?

Of course not.

But the West Ham striker had been linked with Liverpool for weeks now, and it was expected that come Tuesday night heā€™d be Anfield-bound. If not him, there would be othersā€”Fernando Torres is coming off an injury riddled 2009-2010 season and an underwhelming World Cup performance, and his only true back-up, David Ngog, currently has injury concerns of his own. The young Frenchman has been encouraging in his performances thus far, scoring four goals in three matches to start the season, but his ability to be successful as a go-to striker is largely unknown. A move for a striker, at least according to 300 of you, was the top priority.

So naturally, all Liverpool do is go out and snatch up Paul Konchesky. Nothing like fixing a problem that you created for yourself.

The day in total saw six players leave Anfield, all part of deals that are either permanent or, in the inexplicably f*cking stupid case of Emiliano Insua, a loan with a sale on the horizon. Hereā€™s the activity on the way out:

[table does not copy and paste]

Six players, all under the age of 25. For a club whose youth academy was finally made right, today was mostly a case of ā€œbuy for now, develop for sale.ā€

Dalla Valle and Kacaniklic were part of the semi-swap that brought Konchesky to Anfield, and along with Plessis, Weijl, and Insua, they would have qualified as homegrown talent in the coming years. All arrived with some level of acclaim, and all performed at a level of note at one point or another. Iā€™d argue that, outside of Insua, the exit of Dalla Valle stings the most. Heā€™s lit the youth and reserve squadsā€™ opposition on fire in the past few years, and along with Dani Pacheco, he looked to have a bright future.

You wonā€™t be surprised that I reserved a special place to rail on the stupidity of loaning Emiliano Insua with a view to a permanent move. The only circumstance in which this makes sense is if the player himself was so desperate to leave that heā€™d go anywhere, but we never heard anything along these lines. And with Liverpool these days, youā€™d think something would have most certainly found its way out.

Otherwise, itā€™s an absolutely terrible move made worse by the fact that, just to replace Insua, the club shipped off Insua, Dalla Valle, and Kacaniklic. Plus cash. For Paul Konchesky. Itā€™s probably unfair to Konchesky that heā€™s at the center of it all, but thereā€™s no sense to be made out of creating a problem out of a perfectly fine situation and then patting yourself on the back when you solve the problem.

The talk of ā€œLiverpool solving their left-back dilemmaā€ is an absolute jokeā€”donā€™t make the dilemma in the first place by forcing out a talented young player.

But unfortunately, itā€™s not just about Insua, or Carlton Cole, or Dalla Valle, or Konchesky. Itā€™s about the fact that the owners profit anywhere between Ā£7m to Ā£10m on the yearā€™s dealings. Itā€™s about the fact that, time and again, they lie to the supporters, to the players and staff, and, at this point, very likely to themselves.

Iā€™ve staved off getting heavily involved in commenting on the ins and outs of the ownership tragedyā€”the financial aspect is over my head, and a low boil seemed appropriate when a sale looked to be on the horizon. After today, though, I donā€™t know that avoiding the topic is possible.

This day was a perfect microcosm of the damage theyā€™ve done to the clubā€”driving away committed young players, buying on the cheap, and pocketing millions (at least temporarily) in a transfer window that was supposed to see the club improved greatly. Devoid of class, dignity, loyalty, or honor, they once again played Liverpool for a fool.

Eventually itā€™s got to stop. But until it does, things are looking mighty scary."
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #87: Sep 01, 2010 03:42:37 am
      The main things that have annoyed me about the start of the season

Joe Cole's red card  (was really looking forward to his impact in the league)

Jovanovic's impact  (Although early days looks off the pace of the prem league)

Mascherano being sold for fag papers

No striker being aquired before the deadline.

Other than that I am over the moon
      TheKopite*****
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      Reply #88: Sep 01, 2010 06:47:33 am
      Never said any dates just know that we will be sold. Also just a question what's difference in wages have we got rid of compared to the wages in the players we signed. Will be interesting reading that. Doubt there will be much in it.

Please elaborate, you seem rather confident.
      SaveLiverpoolFC
      • Banned

• 374 posts | 19 
      Reply #89: Sep 01, 2010 08:52:56 am
      Ok guys, without going into detail- I am well aware of the facts surrounding our club.

-Summer signings
      -New Manager
      -Club to be sold

3 out of 4 cant be bad!

But I think we could win the league, and someone would find something to moan about!

Surely this is a windup post in the style of a Yanks pr man?

1)Torres and Gerrard grudgingly stay. And they look more fed up than an Islamic Fundamentalist at a porno premiere. Lets face it, do any of us expect em to be around next September?

2)"Summer signings" - yes  another nice chunk of cash in the crooks pockets. We've found 3 of the greats of world football are replaced by Polulsen, Hodgson and some Portuguese guy noone really knows , but hes prob the best of the 3. I think that counts as "summer sales" NOT signings !

3)Club being sold?Why because Hicks and Purslow said so? The club is being sold piece by piece. Its called ASSET STRIPPING NOT SALE!
      Why would anyone buy anything with debts upto 3 x its "book value".

4)And the "new manager". Lets see, the Gang of 4 have kicked out a managerial great and a legend, one on our side. The best manager in the country that just stylishly won the World Cup ( as effective favourites).

And he's replaced with a guy who's had 11 appointments in 13 years and never won a THING outside Scandinavia. And he's even struggled  over there some years!
      Excuse me while I nip off to dance in the streets!

Not a penny more!
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #90: Sep 01, 2010 09:24:22 am
      We could be heading towards a worse finish than last season if injuries take hold again - and that will almost certainly lead to Torres going as his career is heading towards a point where he cannot wait around for us to finally build up rather than down. Not to mention other players going.

I think a finish worse than last year is almost a certainty; we have the same owners, a weaker squad and an inferior manager who has less say in the transfer dealings than Rafa did - it ain't rocket science. :-(
      Zeus
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      Reply #91: Sep 01, 2010 10:37:31 am
      Absolutely ridiculous that in a year we needed to strengthen during the transfer window to get back into the Top 4, we have been left with a 23 man senior squad and Ā£10M in profit which will be lost in loan replayments.  What was the point of shipping out Nemeth and Aquilani when there was space for them in the squad?  Utterly mind boggling!?!?!

Quick Reply