Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Former Liverpool star slams 'diabolical' Torres

Read 12363 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Sep 13, 2010 09:59:46 am

Liverpool striker Fernando Torres  has been branded "diabolical" and accused of lacking the desire to perform at the top level by former Anfield hero Jamie Redknapp.

Torres, who has struggled for form since suffering an adductor injury last season, looked off the pace during Liverpool's 0-0 draw with Birmingham at St Andrews and struggled to make an impact against centre-backs Roger Johnson and Scott Dann.

The Spain international has been widely criticised since the World Cup and Redknapp is the latest expert to lay into Torres.

"Fans will suffer to a certain extent when you give the ball away, but they won't suffer a lack of effort," Redknapp said. "Out there for 45 minutes today he (Torres) has been terrible. He hasn't got hold of the ball, he hasn't chased, he's got frustrated, he could have been booked, he's been diabolical.

"I'm his biggest fan, and of course you have to give Johnson and Dann credit, but he's shown no appetite for the game. He's looked frustrated, sloppy, lethargic. I know people talk about his rustiness, but he looked fed-up."

Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson leapt to the defence of Torres - who scored the winner against West Bromwich Albion last month with his only goal of the season - and insisted the striker will get "better and better."

"Fernando came into the centre on a few occasions and, when he did that, he caused havoc," Hodgson said. "You've got to give the back four of Birmingham credit. They worked very hard to contain him and pressurise him.

"But he is looking much fitter with every game and I thought he looked dangerous and I thought, the longer the game went, the stronger he became. I think he is working hard for the team. He is a constant thorn in the side of defenders.

"We know he lacks match training. He missed matches at the end of last year and during the World Cup. But I'm not at all concerned about Fernando Torres. He will get better and better."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=822730&sec=england&cc=4716

To a certain extent, it's true. Torres needs to take a good look at himself. He really looks like he's bored of playing already. It's not only this season as he tended to show his frustration last season as well. I can't blame him entirely because he gets kicked (has to put up with that as he's the best forward in the world) around pretty often and he doesn't have that services he's been getting back in his first two seasons at Anfield.

I just miss the old Torres of 2007/2008!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Former Liverpool star slams 'diabolical' Torres
      Reply #1: Sep 13, 2010 10:21:03 am
      Expert? Ha. Funny stuff that. Isolated for large parts of the game. Hardly his fault given our non creative midfield and the inability of our wide players to. . Er. . Play wide. Having seen the game I would rather start Dani and Eccleston as two of the three behind Nando, with Stevie and Raul deep. Have it for the United game before negativity shackles us for another season
      SaveLiverpoolFC
      • Banned

• 374 posts | 19 
      Reply #2: Sep 13, 2010 10:21:55 am
      Translation - Turdslow wants to sell Torres. Pr agencies have been instructed to get the usual lackeys working on it.

PS I think maybe we should start a letter writing campaign. To the key heroes at the club - Nando, Pepe etc
      Just saying "we know there's scum and idiots at the club, we promise we'll do everything possible with xyz to get the tossers out to have a football club for u again" etc etc
      « Last Edit: Sep 13, 2010 10:27:17 am by SaveLiverpoolFC »
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #3: Sep 13, 2010 10:24:39 am
      F**k off!

Does your Sky Sports contract include being a little hypocritical rat?  We've only played 4 games! When was Redknapp ever fit?  And when he came back he barely did anything at all! Nice little wage with a decent bird on his arm.  How old did you retire Jamie? 32?

I'll be giving Nando another 2 - 3 games to sort himself out, but if anything, Redknapp has got way too ahead of himself far too soon.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #4: Sep 13, 2010 10:26:43 am
      He was dire and did look dis-interested but because of his past and what he's done for the club I give him the benefit of the doubt.

But if he performs like that against United on Sunday Redknapps words will be justified.
      SaveLiverpoolFC
      • Banned

• 374 posts | 19 
      Reply #5: Sep 13, 2010 10:28:56 am
      Aquilani as playmaker for Nando, or ... no-one as playmaker. But the Paycheque Poodle would rather assetstrip our "overstaffed" squad.
      TheKopite*****
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      Reply #6: Sep 13, 2010 10:40:11 am
      Expert? Ha. Funny stuff that. Isolated for large parts of the game. Hardly his fault given our non creative midfield and the inability of our wide players to. . Er. . Play wide. Having seen the game I would rather start Dani and Eccleston as two of the three behind Nando, with Stevie and Raul deep. Have it for the United game before negativity shackles us for another season

F***ing boss post mate, exactly what I would like us to do...
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #7: Sep 13, 2010 10:41:14 am
      Since Jamie Redcrapp left LFC all he does is slate us - Bitter me thinks
      SaveLiverpoolFC
      • Banned

• 374 posts | 19 
      Reply #8: Sep 13, 2010 10:45:50 am
      Jamie the Shill. Thats what his mate "breathe of fresh air"(Redcrapp's words) Hodgson does!
      He also said that "torres and gerrard would definitely have left if it wasnt for Hodgson taking over". He's a complete snake of a "man".

Because he never got as wealthy as say Beckham, he's selling his soul to become a vile lie merchant.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #9: Sep 13, 2010 10:48:54 am
      Can't blame him. If be fed up of never, ever getting decent support or service. He should have to do it all on his own.

former Anfield hero Jamie Redknapp.

:lmao: :lmao:
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #10: Sep 13, 2010 10:50:29 am
      Just back to full fitness. This was like his first match of the season. Full stop and let me tell you you've got millions of people out there than good old Jamie. F**k him c**t
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,542 posts | 3473 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #11: Sep 13, 2010 11:05:35 am
      To be honest Redknapp's comments are even worth commenting on. I'm surprised anyone noticed what he said !!!!!!!!!
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #12: Sep 13, 2010 11:07:24 am
      Aww i used to like Jamie!

I can see where he is coming from- but he has worded it wrong!
      Nando looked frustrated & fed up- but i dont blame him, he need the right men behind him to do what he does best- and that is up to Roy to choose them!
      redpool
      • Forum David Johnson

• 217 posts |
      Reply #13: Sep 13, 2010 11:14:43 am
      Jamie has the brain of a jellyfish.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #14: Sep 13, 2010 11:37:04 am
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #15: Sep 13, 2010 11:38:54 am
      So he received next to no service yesterday, was isolated for large parts of the game, and had to deal with Birmingham who were marking him with 3 defenders. He's had got no space at all. Add to that the lack of support from the midfield, the wide players, he's got nothing to work with.

As far as I'm concerned I thought he was really trying his best yesterday. He isn't at the level he wants to be, but continue staying fit, and with our strongest side, with 9 other outfield players providing the adequate support we'll soon see the Torres we want to see.

As of now Jamie is just chatting sh*t out of his arse to make a mountain out of a molehill.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,875 posts | 165 
      Reply #16: Sep 13, 2010 11:41:07 am
      Diabolical sums up Redcrap quite well, go back to ass licking keys.
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 761 posts | 40 
      Reply #17: Sep 13, 2010 11:49:22 am
      F**k off Rednapp,you were never the player Nando is, tw*t.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #18: Sep 13, 2010 11:52:55 am
      Until Torres gets the service, then he'll always flatter to deceive.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #19: Sep 13, 2010 11:56:47 am
      Shut it Redknapp.
      Remember who used to pay you?

Talking absolute sh*te again.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #20: Sep 13, 2010 12:01:57 pm
      I think we'll see a totally different squad at OT, not by selection but by wanting to win. Our passing games not too shabby and i think the lads will step up a gear. There's a lot of negativity around us at the mo (understandably) and negativity breeds negativity in a 'workplace'. It'll all fade soon.

Nando understands what a win at OT means and he has the need to win and we will.

As regards Redknapp, he sold his soul to Sky and utters the words that he thinks his paymasters want. Personally i can ignore them as just that, words.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #21: Sep 13, 2010 12:14:21 pm
      Once again, the wrong team was picked. Lucas, as usual did sweet FA and it really does mystify me as to why he seems to be able to keep a regular place when Babel doesn't even get 10 minutes. Jovanovic, as usual has an inability to keep to the wing. He works hard and has some pace, but if he keeps cutting in, he may as well not bother.Glen Johnson as usual shows how inept he really is as a defender. He's ok going forward at times (not yesterday though, he was USELESS), but jesus, let's get a real defender in there. We should have started with Gerrard and Mireles in the middle and Babel supporting Torres. If this had been the chosen team, I guarantee we would have all 3 points. At least Carra and Pepe were reliable as usual...
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #22: Sep 13, 2010 12:15:37 pm
      Jamie who?

Quick Reply