Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Fenway plans for a new/redeveloped Anfield stadium?

Read 337555 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Re: NESV plans for a new/redeveloped Anfield stadium?
      Reply #299: Aug 27, 2011 02:28:29 pm
      LFC is a fairly attractive loan proposition these days, they have low-debt and are generating a lot of revenue and are therefore highly likely to pay back any loan - plus the fall in the price of construction materials will help to reduce the cost of the build so we won't be looking to loan that much.  Banks don't make money by holding on to it, they make it by getting rid and collecting the interest.  Football has proven quite resilient to the downturn anyway, as the demand for it is highly inelastic.

Which is exactly why investors are back pedalling because steps have been taken to keep spending in check, the high cost of borrowing right now is in place to check the economy and stop it from over-heating.
      LFC may be a comparitively sound loan candidate but that is by no means any kind of proviso for any bonus interest points, the financial institutions want their pound of flesh and they dictate the size of the portion

As a footnote the interview with John Henry in another thread is very positive and encouraging yet makes no definitive reference to the stadium issue indicating there is possibly an agenda with the matter.
      « Last Edit: Aug 28, 2011 12:15:23 am by stuey »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #300: Aug 29, 2011 02:16:12 am
      Which is exactly why investors are back pedalling because steps have been taken to keep spending in check, the high cost of borrowing right now is in place to check the economy and stop it from over-heating.
      LFC may be a comparitively sound loan candidate but that is by no means any kind of proviso for any bonus interest points, the financial institutions want their pound of flesh and they dictate the size of the portion

As a footnote the interview with John Henry in another thread is very positive and encouraging yet makes no definitive reference to the stadium issue indicating there is possibly an agenda with the matter.

I think FSG and Liverpool are pushing as hard as they can to expand Anfield. I may not be right but I feel that's what is happening. I think FSG see a new stadium is only viable when the club is generating a lot of revenue involving any possible future successes in the Premier League and Europe as well as tapping into those wells of support the club have yet to fully exploit. Then I think Henry and co will seriously consider the prospect of a new stadium. We've found ourselves back where we were years ago on the stadium front and that is at square one really such was the impact of those wasted years experienced under the previous owners. FSG are in a tough position but we fully understand it and I wouldn't be surprised if we saw no major movement towards a new stadium for a good time, if ever. An expansion to Anfield seems the more likely option I feel and I think it's important for the city council to answer calls for expansion.
      « Last Edit: Aug 29, 2011 02:22:10 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #301: Aug 29, 2011 03:40:51 pm
      I agree that H&G have put us years behind and NESV are in a tough position. Me im for Anfield expansion - and I agree with JWH that 300Million for 15,000 seats is extreem!
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #302: Aug 29, 2011 11:56:13 pm
      Question I would have is what are all these obstacles that they allude to, they make it sound like the city council just does not want a redevelop..I think FSG are treating Anfield much like they saw Fenway, as a historical site that would be better to update and preserve then build just another mangle of steel that we see today.

If a new one must be built, and a naming partner is a must then I hope they call it something akin to Standard Charter Park at New Anfield or something like that. On top I hope they take everything they can out of Anfield and integrate it into the new stadium, including the soil and pitch itself.

Was explaining to the missus yesterday that in one form or another Liverpool have been playing on the same dirt for over 100 years...and that there are ghost's in that ground and they need to be respected.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #303: Aug 30, 2011 11:20:43 am
      They did an amazing job with Fenway and if they could do the same at Anfield that would be awesome. Start by making the ground oval so 4 extra stands kind of. Increase the size of the Kop ann Centenary stand - making up the extra.

Yes for a while we will have a lower capacity - but would rather this happen now than next season when were in Europe.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Reply #304: Aug 30, 2011 05:36:21 pm
      They did an amazing job with Fenway and if they could do the same at Anfield that would be awesome. Start by making the ground oval so 4 extra stands kind of. Increase the size of the Kop ann Centenary stand - making up the extra.

Yes for a while we will have a lower capacity - but would rather this happen now than next season when were in Europe.
      The way forward mate, completely fresh mindset.

AZPatriot makes mention of there being ghosts in the ground and these should be respected, if he is referring to famous victories, past players or the supporters who have had their ashes scattered on the sacred ground they are all to be respected and treasured.
      « Last Edit: Aug 30, 2011 05:45:52 pm by stuey »
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #305: Aug 30, 2011 05:59:26 pm
      I agree wit ou both. I love Anfield - and the history! If we can get the area around the ground and close off some roads etc we could even have the 'Anfield Walk' - like Wembley Way or Fenway Parks Yawkey Way...

Forget the big metal / steel monsters - lets keep it looking like Anfield, but make it modern and nice. If they can upgrade the London Underground whilst keeping it open we can do Anfield..!
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #306: Aug 31, 2011 08:12:53 pm
      I agree wit ou both. I love Anfield - and the history! If we can get the area around the ground and close off some roads etc we could even have the 'Anfield Walk' - like Wembley Way or Fenway Parks Yawkey Way...

Forget the big metal / steel monsters - lets keep it looking like Anfield, but make it modern and nice. If they can upgrade the London Underground whilst keeping it open we can do Anfield..!

Passport...even if they were to build a new one in Stanley Park they could make it a reproduction like Camden Yards or Petco...give it the feel of 100 years ago with the modern twists of today....pick up gate...parts the statues and other part's of Anfield (including the Pitch...yup when I said ghosts that is what I meant.)Might not be a perfect solution but at least we saved and commemorated the most we could.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #307: Aug 31, 2011 09:38:32 pm
      Passport...even if they were to build a new one in Stanley Park they could make it a reproduction like Camden Yards or Petco...give it the feel of 100 years ago with the modern twists of today....pick up gate...parts the statues and other part's of Anfield (including the Pitch...yup when I said ghosts that is what I meant.)Might not be a perfect solution but at least we saved and commemorated the most we could.

AZ  - this is why your a great poster. Thats an angle I havent even thought of..! The more I think about that the better it sits - you could even have internal 'landmarks' moved over! This I think wold be the best of both worlds - this is what they should do..!
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #308: Aug 31, 2011 10:18:01 pm
      AZ  - this is why your a great poster. Thats an angle I havent even thought of..! The more I think about that the better it sits - you could even have internal 'landmarks' moved over! This I think wold be the best of both worlds - this is what they should do..!

Don't have any historical knowledge of the structure or design of Anfield other then it has been updated several times (think the last was in the 80's) so a larger copy of today's Anfield may not be the best...perhaps the Anfield of the 50"s or 30's reproduced on a grand scale would be more pleasing.

Still going have the Kop, and outside they could build a wonderful memorial to Hillsborough and Hysel. Move the ground and the pitch itself directly over from Anfield after the season and grab anything that has historical value and incorporate it into the new stadia.

Get someone like Standard Charter as the naming partner and just call it Standard Charter Park at New Anfield or vice versa.

Seems like it would work and Both Henry and Werner have experience with renovating (Fenway) and doing a new retro stadiums (Petco/Camden)
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #309: Sep 01, 2011 02:23:19 am
      Macca has posted this

We will stay at Anfield and increase the capacity to about 60,000..

We will keep the upper centenary and the kop as they are..

The work will start in about about 18 months and take about 2 years to finish.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #310: Sep 01, 2011 03:28:31 am
      Macca has posted this

Still think 60,000 is not enough.  65k should have been the minimum.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #311: Sep 01, 2011 02:02:41 pm
      Macca has posted this

I would like to see a bigger expansion - 70k for me. We could sell that easily, and for 'smaller games' just give out free tickets to the kids etc.

So what will be happening - if Macca knows when it will start does he know what they will be doing?
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #312: Sep 01, 2011 02:20:32 pm
      I'm with passport boy on this one 70k min if its possible ?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #313: Sep 01, 2011 03:13:21 pm
      Sorry if I sound ignorant but who's Macca?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #314: Sep 01, 2011 06:05:37 pm
      I would like to see a bigger expansion - 70k for me. We could sell that easily, and for 'smaller games' just give out free tickets to the kids etc.

So what will be happening - if Macca knows when it will start does he know what they will be doing?

I agree with this in theory...but lets say it cost 300M for a new one...and 100m to do a total refurbish of Anfield...those extra 5,000 seats would run what 200M...these are just pie in the sky numbers but even if it was half that I would not want to spend an extra 100M on 5,000 seats...take 15years + to recoup that and by that time new issues with Anfield would arise.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #315: Sep 01, 2011 08:46:51 pm
      I agree with this in theory...but lets say it cost 300M for a new one...and 100m to do a total refurbish of Anfield...those extra 5,000 seats would run what 200M...these are just pie in the sky numbers but even if it was half that I would not want to spend an extra 100M on 5,000 seats...take 15years + to recoup that and by that time new issues with Anfield would arise.

I agree - I know it's voodoo economics but 200 Million for even 15,000 seats works 13k per seat. At ÂŁ13 profit per ticket that will take, well 1000 games to recoup. This will put us back to paying off debt not improving the team. I would like to have Anfield at 70,000 - then eventually 100,000 just like my hacked champ manager game!

For me it needs to be done in a way where we wont be financially ruined. Tough job for NESV..!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #316: Sep 01, 2011 08:59:38 pm
      ...then eventually 100,000 just like my hacked champ manager game!
      Were you sponsored by Etihad?  :f_whistle:
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #317: Sep 02, 2011 01:00:04 am
      Were you sponsored by Etihad?  :f_whistle:

No, christian purslow ;)
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #318: Sep 02, 2011 01:28:44 am
      If they do have to move out (which I hope not) get Standard Chartered for its naming right and lets go for STANFIELD or ST.ANFIELD PARK (which I think have all the combination Standard Chartered-Stanley Park-Anfield). Just a thought to share  :D
      LFCexiled
      Reply #319: Sep 04, 2011 07:42:37 pm
      New Stadium ‘The Only Viable Option’ for Liverpool

Liverpool’s stadium issue has dragged on ever since the previous regime promised a spade in the ground shortly after taking over, but as we now know those words were as empty as the park in which the new ground should, by now, be standing.

New owners FSG have been a lot more proactive in their search for a stadium solution, but they too have encountered issues both with redeveloping Anfield and building from scratch. But, after much research and deliberation, one option appears to stand head and shoulders above the other and it now seems that a conclusion is close.

John Henry, Liverpool’s principle owner, had previously claimed that it would be ‘difficult’ to relpicate the Anfield atmopshere elsewhere. This was seen to be a subtle hint as to the American’s intentions and rumours of redevelopment became rife as research was carried out to determine its viability.

But despite initial discussions being positive the possibility of Liverpool remaining at their historic home has been dwindling ever since. Issues have just kept cropping up like fairground whack-a-moles and the Reds quite simply don’t have the time to carry on playing a losing game while their rivals continue to pull ahead on commercial activity.

Former Chief Executive Rick Parry was one of the first to make the club’s intentions of a new build public, in an interview with The Mirror last month.

“Initially we wanted to develop Anfield, that was always the hope, but there were too many complications. The idea of building new actually became increasingly attractive the more we studied the options.” he said.

And in an even more recent interview with the Telegraph, John Henry echoed Parry’s thoughts.

“We would love to expand Anfield, but there are enough local and regulatory issues to keep that avenue stalled for years with no assurances that once begun it would bear any fruit.” he said.

“If Anfield cannot be expanded a new stadium is wonderful choice. But the fact is we already have 45,000 seats. If a new stadium is constructed with 60,000 seats you’ve spent an incredible sum of money to add just 15,000 seats.

“If the cost is £300m for an extra 15,000 seats, that doesn’t make any sense at all. Liverpool isn’t London, you can’t charge £1 million for a long-term club seat. And concession revenues per seat aren’t that much different at Emirates from Anfield.

“That’s why the search is on currently for a naming-rights partner. And that could very well happen.”

The search for a naming-rights partner has been under-way for quite some time now, and talks are said to have been very encouraging.

All signs, then, appear to point to a sponsored build in Stanley Park. In reality, this is the only viable option for a team looking to regain touch with its rivals who have so far been able to enjoy significantly more commercial revenue on behalf of their home ground.

Arsenal’s Emirates stadium is one of the leading lights in English football, pulling in pivotal funds from general sale, season tickets and executive boxes. The latter is something that Liverpool really struggle with, and always will while they remain at Anfield. A move to a new ground could be worth £100m+ per season in this department alone, so you can see why they are so desperate to make it happen.

And we now understand that this is exactly what FSG will do; make it happen. Having spoken to key members of the Anfield redevelopment research team, it is evident that the idea is now dead in the water.

The nature of the complications are such that there is no guarantee that they would be resolved in a timely manner, if at all. John Henry & co. are said to have admitted defeat in their initial attempts to preserve and improve the ground that he was so blown away by upon first visiting. And, although they are not closing the door on the idea, they are understood to have abandoned their active efforts to pursue this proposed solution.

It now looks like a matter of time before FSG announce their intentions, but they must first identify their chosen naming rights partner, and that is not something that will not be rushed into completion. The owners are keen to move forward as quickly as they can, but they will not compromise the club’s long-term security by making a decision before they have explored all avenues of possibility.

But regardless of the route they use to get there, all roads now lead to Stanley Park and, although Anfield will undoubtedly be missed, the supporters would do well to remember that it is not the external structure that creates our ‘unrivalled’ atmosphere, but the beating heart within.

http://www.kopsource.com/new-stadium-the-only-viable-option-for-liverpool/
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #320: Sep 05, 2011 01:02:32 pm
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #321: Sep 06, 2011 01:01:47 pm
       We could build a new stadium for less than ÂŁ300 million.

Millennium Stadium cost ÂŁ121 million, seats 75,000

Quick Reply